Is There "thai Social Security" ?

I believe there is some kind of social security fund for the aged but it is not much ( 500 baht a month ) and it is ' means tested ' . The gf's mother applied for it from her local Dtambon and at first it was granted. Later some other old ladies on the ' commitee ' vetoed it on the grounds that her daughter has a falang husband ........ vis me . The gf's mother then threw a wobbley with the commitee and threatened to grass them up for not distrubuting the allowance and so now she does get it.

Yes there is, employers and employees each pay a percentage of the contributions each month and if the individual ceases to work they can make voluntary payments - benefits include medical care, pension and death benefits.

Yes there is, employers and employees each pay a percentage of the contributions each month and if the individual ceases to work they can make voluntary payments - benefits include medical care, pension and death benefits.

How do they Do this when they get payed very little ,I would hardly call it Social, More elitist.

How do they Do this when they get payed very little ,I would hardly call it Social, More elitist.

As per Chiang Mai's post, Don't see how it's elitist.

The payments depend on how much you earn. The very highest payment, which I think kicks in at 15,000 baht/month, is 750 baht. Earn less and you pay less.

I don't think the the system has been in place long enough to start paying out on pensions yet. It was put in place by Chuan's Democrat government.

In addition to the 500 baht payment to the elderly, this government has also extended some of Thaksin's policies. For example, they introduced allowances for school uniforms. This was not means tested and we got it for our daughter in a private school in Bangkok, just like our nephew did in a rural government school. I don't know if that was a one-off or will be repeated.

Social security also covers an unemployment payment for something like 6 months if you lose your job. I think it's at 50% of the last salary, but I'm not sure on that.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

The payments depend on how much you earn. The very highest payment, which I think kicks in at 15,000 baht/month, is 750 baht. Earn less and you pay less.

I don't think the the system has been in place long enough to start paying out on pensions yet. It was put in place by Chuan's Democrat government.

In addition to the 500 baht payment to the elderly, this government has also extended some of Thaksin's policies. For example, they introduced allowances for school uniforms. This was not means tested and we got it for our daughter in a private school in Bangkok, just like our nephew did in a rural government school. I don't know if that was a one-off or will be repeated.

Social security also covers an unemployment payment for something like 6 months if you lose your job. I think it's at 50% of the last salary, but I'm not sure on that.

Agreed, it's not in the least bit elitist, employee contributions on a salary of Baht 8,000 equal about Baht 340.

My wife claimed the unemployment benefit, it is 50% as stated but only 3 months long.

Thai Social Security has a number of benefits. Health insurance, retirement, unemployment, maternity leave, disability and a few more.

As noted above the cost for foreigners is usually 750 a month, simply based on a percentage of salary. Thai's who make 15k or more also pay 750 per month. That's the maximum you'd have to pay.

If you pay on your own it's 432 baht per month. You have to sign up to do this within 6 months of stopping being covered through employment.

In any discussion of SS, there will be those who bad mouth it because it's Thai. Generally those who do that don't know anything about it, and like to say that if it's Thai, it can't be good.

I think 60 is the normal retirement age here, but you can actually get retirement benefits at 55.

Thai Social Security has a number of benefits. Health insurance, retirement, unemployment, maternity leave, disability and a few more.

As noted above the cost for foreigners is usually 750 a month, simply based on a percentage of salary. Thai's who make 15k or more also pay 750 per month. That's the maximum you'd have to pay.

If you pay on your own it's 432 baht per month. You have to sign up to do this within 6 months of stopping being covered through employment.

In any discussion of SS, there will be those who bad mouth it because it's Thai. Generally those who do that don't know anything about it, and like to say that if it's Thai, it can't be good.

I think 60 is the normal retirement age here, but you can actually get retirement benefits at 55.

Is this correct;

Since Grandma in Isaan was/is a rice farmer, she gets nothing because she didn't have employer contributions or self-contributions.

"Is this correct..."

My statements are based on a person being or having been in the soc sec system and making contributions.

Older persons who were not in the system may be eligible for the token monthly payment, 500 baht was mentioned, but it's not the soc sec retirement plan.

Forget the retirement plan for a moment. The health benefits alone are considerable and well worth the little bit you have to contribute.

No exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

In and out patient care covered.

Meds covered.

+++

"Is this correct..."

My statements are based on a person being or having been in the soc sec system and making contributions.

Older persons who were not in the system may be eligible for the token monthly payment, 500 baht was mentioned, but it's not the soc sec retirement plan.

Forget the retirement plan for a moment. The health benefits alone are considerable and well worth the little bit you have to contribute.

No exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

In and out patient care covered.

Meds covered.

+++

Great info TerryHL, thanks!

My wife's grandma, and others here I suspect, has a "Yellow Card" that gives cheap medical. Hard to understand from my wife, however, but I'd bet this isn't the health plan you describe .

I feel that I should contribute for her mom for some unknown period of time, and qualify her for this care. It's impossible for me to find info and my wife thinks her mom doesn't use hospital services. I try to explain 'YET' to her without upsetting her.

Where can I direct her to call?

To 'start' in soc sec the person has to be employed. Both the employee and the employer contribute an equal amount to the system. Right now it's 5% of the salary, up to a maximum of 750฿ for each one.

After a time, I've heard 3 months and 6 months (but not sure of exact time), the employee can stop working and continue to pay on their own with no employer contributions. That's 432฿ per month.

The 'Gold Card' or '30 baht' plan is a different thing, but covers a lot of stuff. There has always been concern expressed about whether or not the coverage for this plan is adequate. Many feel like participants in this plan get second rate coverage because there isn't money enough in the system to provide decent care. Many others don't have a problem with it.

I suppose it's like any other plan, some need it more than others. If you're young and or healthy, you don't visit the doc or hospital as much.

Your wife can call the Social Security Office in the province you live in. I've always found them to be helpful.

NOTE.

One thing many don't like about soc sec is that you're limited to choices of hospitals. Typically a hospital is selected, and that's the one you use. Not all hospitals participate in the plan.

In my case, I was given a choice from a list. I chose a private hospital, not because it's better, because it isn't, but because of the shorted waiting times. Once a year they have a period of time when you can choose a different hospital, depending on what's available in your area.

If you need something done that your hospital doesn't do, they can give you a letter to give to another hospital to authorize them to do it, and to tell soc sec to pay them for it. It's a temporary thing, just for the procedure you need, not anything else. It worked for me when I needed surgery on my knee.

Hope this helps.

Terry

I believe there is some kind of social security fund for the aged but it is not much ( 500 baht a month ) and it is ' means tested ' . The gf's mother applied for it from her local Dtambon and at first it was granted. Later some other old ladies on the ' commitee ' vetoed it on the grounds that her daughter has a falang husband ........ vis me . The gf's mother then threw a wobbley with the commitee and threatened to grass them up for not distrubuting the allowance and so now she does get it.

CAN YOU FURTHER EXPLAIN what is grass them up :):D:D

Well the village chief visited and took copies of grandmas housebook and turned in the paperwork for Grandma. Grandma said is was going to be a one time payment of 500B for 6 months and then end.

A one time payment period? I'm going to help my wife search for 'social security' in Thailand and see how far we get. My wife is pretty convinced that's how it works because her mom talked to other ladies in the village.

Yes, I know a Thai girl and her Mom gets the B500 stipend. Thais are eligible at age 60, so I was informed.

Seem to remember that when you have paid in for at least 15 years, you are entitled to retirement benefits of 7,5% of the salary.

There could be an upper limit though, I will ask when I go to the social security office next month.

Edited by keestha

Well the village chief visited and took copies of grandmas housebook and turned in the paperwork for Grandma. Grandma said is was going to be a one time payment of 500B for 6 months and then end.

A one time payment period? I'm going to help my wife search for 'social security' in Thailand and see how far we get. My wife is pretty convinced that's how it works because her mom talked to other ladies in the village.

The 500-baht payment doesn't come under the social security system. It's completely separate.

Surprisingly good system if you ask me, after three months employment I was asked which hospital I wanted to attend if I needed one and chose the private hospital nearest my apartment. I was issued with a card and I have since used it three times and on each occasion have been seen by the doctor and then been given medications to treat my condition, all free of charge!

I believe they also get benefits for having children in the form of cash payments if they are contributors to the SS system, if a contributors wife has a child, he gets a cash benefit from the system.

I was surprised by how good the system actually was.

We had one employee who worked (and paid into the social security system) for about 10 months. She then had some kind of stroke, and received fully covered treatment at a decent hospital for 3 weeks, the quality of health care was far better than what would be expected under the 30 baht system.

After coming out of the hospital she then received half her salary for 3 months or so (keep in mind he'd only worked 10 months).

Well worth the few hundred baht per month. Most employees ask not to pay this, but we force them, they have to pay 50% and we pay 50%. After the above situation happened i feel 100% justified in this decision.