Dry British Sence Of Humour

tigerfish

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you've had the 'feel good' lecture tangcoral, do you think that you can cope with a bit of 'dry humour'? I must also add that it will most certainly be accompanied with sarcasm. The true mark of a 'thick skinned' person is being able to cope with all sorts of knocks without resorting to 'regulatory assistance'.

In many ways, this is similar to the inane 'loss of face' crap that occurs in certain cultures. It only occurs because people are too lazy to ignore certain remarks, yet they have abundant energy to rave on about how badly they are/were treated.

I will continue to give you 'skin thickening treatment'. When you respond in kind, you 'pass' & will be welcomed with open arms. :)

Edited by elkangorito

^ Very funny that 'Indian' stuff :)

I actually thought that 'Liz' et al was from German origin but I have now changed my mind about this...'they' are obviously Indian.

The best thing is that people can actually talk about this without being fined or thrown into gaol. :D

Indian? What about Prince Charles? With those ears he must surely be African! (Can't remember what sketch or u-tube offering that came from but it made me laugh, but then, I'm English!)

^ Very funny that 'Indian' stuff :)

I actually thought that 'Liz' et al was from German origin but I have now changed my mind about this...'they' are obviously Indian.

The best thing is that people can actually talk about this without being fined or thrown into gaol. :D

Indian? What about Prince Charles? With those ears he must surely be African! (Can't remember what sketch or u-tube offering that came from but it made me laugh, but then, I'm English!)

goodness gracious me! having an english.

Edited by tigerfish

I wouldn't worry about it. Forums always have grumpy old men on it. TV has grumpy old moderators as well, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Streetcowboy has it right. Humour is one of the most difficult things to communicate on a forum and people nearly always misinterpret what you were talking about.

Don't worry about it. Get your message across and if the GOM in here start complaining, just ignore them. if they overstep the mark, I'm sure the moderators will give them a slap on the wrist.

Nowt wrong w grumpy old men. In my young day we valued the wisdom of chaps who'd grown up with rickets, and rationing, and outside privvies.

Shouldn't you young fellas all be in bed by now? Reminds me, I should be off down to York Market. Still don't know if 1/2 thai, 1/2 chinese is same as thai chinese...

SC

Rickets? We used to dream of having rickets! Our privvy was so far outside we used to have to chase after the number 3 bus to get to it. Our rationing was rationed too, we could only have rationing on every second wednesday of every other month.

Seriously though, I reckon the tone in which something is written can be hard to pick up, especially if the reader is from a different english speaking country. The nuances can be missed. Then again some people are humourless wanke_rs too :)

I forgot to mention that I much prefer the British sense of humour moreso than any other type (American for example, which is mostly witless).

Did you vote for Obama or McCain? :)

Are Australian citizens allowed to vote in US elections?

I forgot to mention that I much prefer the British sense of humour moreso than any other type (American for example, which is mostly witless).

The exception to the rule would be Steve Martin and Joe Pesci but maybe that's just me.

The Office would be a prime example though what you mean.

Tigerfish, you will find no matter what you post about most of the time you will get negative replies, which is why most members of TV members read it on a regular basis but never contribute. its not about the humour just, the nature of the forum. if you want to get most negative replies try posting on a Sunday, because thats when all the Thailand wannabes are at home bored with nothing to do.

dont bother about it, and try not to let it wind you up. you will find that the people who know the most about Thailand are those that come every year for their 2 weeks holiday, then go home and start their count down timers on other forums to the next trip. days,hours,minutes,seconds and those that lived her here 10 years plus know nothing. moderators must be all masochist.

British humour, great, fools and horses, fawlty towers, mr bean. had mr bean on in Carrfore yesterday, started watching it, sacralige they had mr bean talking in Thai. :)

Edited by NALAK

Communications has its relevance by the perception of the recipient, not on the intention of the person initiating the speaking/writing/gesturing.  You can complain all you want when someone hits you in the nose and keep saying "BUt I was only joking!"  The fact of the matter is that you still have a throbbing nose.

This forum is a multi-cultural pie, and, as such, we do need to moderate our posting taking that into account.  But this is true anywhere.  When I was on active duty in the Marines, we joked and spoke in ways which would not be acceptable in the population at large.  We had to modify our behavior when we left the confines of the barracks.  Just so, the type of joking which might take place in a Liverpool pub might not be appropriate in a multi-cultural forum.

Some posters here seem to criticize others who don't appreciate the "taking a piss at" type of humor as being thick-skinned.  Well, the same can be said of those whose posts get deleted or whose posts offend someone.  I would recommend that those posters just take it with a grain of salt.  It is not the end of the world if that happens.  

Thaivisa has a purpose, that being the exchanging of ideas, facts, and all things Thailand.  Its purpose is not to be a platform for budding comics.  I personally enjoy some of the one-liners and zingers, and I often laugh out loud, but when any comment becomes disruptive or hurtful, I have no problem with that comment being deleted and no longer an irritant.

I never knew the Brits had a sense of humor, only remember their stiff upper lip :)

I never knew the Brits had a sense of humor, only remember their stiff upper lip :)

yes they do have a sense of humour and from your crap joke i can see you dont!

yes they do have a sense of humour and from your crap joke i can see you dont!

I made my point already.. humor is in the eye of the beholder.. you can't expect someone to like your humor always. Thank you for making it easy to get my point across.

Perhaps the problem with dry humour on TV is that, do to the nature of the beast, it is only written. There are no cues from the voice, face, or body language. Smilies might have helped, but are both overused and misunderstood.

It takes a special kind of person to write the written form of humour (as opposed to the television kind, permeated with rim shots, cymbal crashes, and synthesizer whoops) and have it understood by all who are native speakers. It's more difficult to convey that humour to those who speak English well, but as a second language; and it's completely lost on those whose understanding of the language is at best rudimentary.

I'd like to say I have a cunning plan to remedy the situation, but I don't.

edit: grammar

Edited by noahvail

Did you vote for Obama or McCain? :)

Are Australian citizens allowed to vote in US elections?

That is not really the point. bxp27346.jpg

Perhaps the problem with dry humour on TV is that, do to the nature of the beast, it is only written. There are no cues from the voice, face, or body language. Smilies might have helped, but are both overused and misunderstood.

It takes a special kind of person to write the written form of humour (as opposed to the television kind, permeated with rim shots, cymbal crashes, and synthesizer whoops) and have it understood by all who are native speakers. It's more difficult to convey that humour to those who speak the language well; and it's completely lost on those whose understanding of the language is at best rudimentary.

Just use smileys, cant remember how many times i gotten into trouble on MSN with client because i did not use a smiley to convey i was joking. It might be obvious to yourself but not always to an other.

It takes a special kind of person to write the written form of humour (as opposed to the television kind, permeated with rim shots, cymbal crashes, and synthesizer whoops) and have it understood by all who are native speakers. It's more difficult to convey that humour to those who speak the language well; and it's completely lost on those whose understanding of the language is at best rudimentary.

A very astute post.