Dry British Sence Of Humour

tigerfish

I forgot to mention that I much prefer the British sense of humour moreso than any other type (American for example, which is mostly witless).

I never knew the Brits had a sense of humor, only remember their stiff upper lip :)

here you go!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that I much prefer the British sense of humour moreso than any other type (American for example, which is mostly witless).

I never knew the Brits had a sense of humor, only remember their stiff upper lip :)

here you go!

I liked that one, but i know what English humor is and it can be quite fun. Just tried to get an comment from an user to make a point. Luckily the post after mine was what i was looking for to make my point. Its so good of the friendly people at Thai visa to help me out there with such speed. It just shows what a nice crowd we have here.

There's nothing the girls like more than a stiff upper lip

SC

(should I have posted a humour alert on that one?)

Did you vote for Obama or McCain? :)

Why would anyone vote for Obama AND oven chips?

Ironically, some people associate a British accent with intelligence. They only know about James Bond, a witty, handsome, clean man; a real patriot who loves his country. I guess that group of fans have never seen, heard or smelled a real live expat Brit.

I’ve added a smiley face so no one will take offense to my attempt at ‘dry wit’ and misunderstand my harmless fun. I’m sure I failed miserably because ‘dry wit’ is such a difficult concept for anyone not born in Brit-land. But, then again I haven’t seen very many good examples here. Maybe those clever 'mates' are purposely obfuscating their real ‘dry wit’ so nobody will copy it and steal their only claim to fame.

:)

But, then again I haven’t seen very many good examples here.

:D

Is that haven't seen it, or haven't recognised it? :)

No he recognizes it it's the understanding it bit he's struggling with

I mean, it is our only claim to fame

Edited by Slaps

Ironically, some people associate a British accent with intelligence. They only know about James Bond, a witty, handsome, clean man; a real patriot who loves his country. I guess that group of fans have never seen, heard or smelled a real live expat Brit.

Doesnt it come down to many on here are bar/whore mongerers and they meet and mix with Brit bar/whore mongerers and the nature of this beast is they need to criticise other to feel just a bit of self worth, hence their need to constantly take pops at the Brits.

Anyway if you want funny go on youtube and search for Bernard Manning, no Septic/Aussy/Canadian/European etc ... comedian comes close

see this is the kind of thing im talking about, and i can see the funny side to it. its taking the pxxx out of your stereotypical older, not so attractive english guy who cant find a mate in his own country. so he orders a mail order thai girl from an ad in a newspaper. sure its taking the mick out of one of my fellow countrymen, but then their are those that wont see the funny side to it. say its an unfair portrail of thai women and take exception to it.

something that people who come from the british isles know only to well about, for those that have been back for a visit will have noticed that its turning into a nanny state, taking political correctness to the extreme. thus taking away a lot of what most would say in some way is our national identity, our culture and the ability to always look on the bright and funny side of anything. hence the wright to laugh at themselves and everyone and anything around them at the time.

Rickets? We used to dream of having rickets! Our privvy was so far outside we used to have to chase after the number 3 bus to get to it. Our rationing was rationed too, we could only have rationing on every second wednesday of every other month.

You were lucky! We used to dream of having rationing, and as for a privy, let alone a bus to take to it; luxury!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA...feature=related

Rickets? We used to dream of having rickets! Our privvy was so far outside we used to have to chase after the number 3 bus to get to it. Our rationing was rationed too, we could only have rationing on every second wednesday of every other month.

You were lucky! We used to dream of having rationing, and as for a privy, let alone a bus to take to it; luxury!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA...feature=related

Now That is Class

I know it word for word

Edited by Slaps

I've added a smiley face so no one will take offense to my attempt at 'dry wit' and misunderstand my harmless fun. I'm sure I failed miserably because 'dry wit' is such a difficult concept for anyone not born in Brit-land. But, then again I haven't seen very many good examples here. Maybe those clever 'mates' are purposely obfuscating their real 'dry wit' so nobody will copy it and steal their only claim to fame.

Thanks! No light is too bright to keep under a bushel.

Some people associate a British accent with intelligence. Quite rightly so. But not all British accents. I can't meet someone with a Birmingham accent (Birmingham, England, to avoid misunderstanding) without thinking of Benny, from Crossroads, and regardless of the wit and intelligence of the person, I can't help thinking that they sound stupid. I suppose its the perfect cover for a 'stealth-wit'. I'll use that term again, I hope...

SC

People need to use smilies more to indicate they are tongue-in-cheek. Written words are a world apart from real-life speech.

It's just a breakdown in communication, plus people being oversensitive. :)

Edited by Latindancer

I find the idea of anyone finding that lame attempt to be funny to be extremely funny.

We have nothing but the greatest respect for your opinion. :)

thats the difference though between different syles of comedy and wit. american comedy seems to be, how shall i put it "to the point and in your face". where as in general the comedy/humour that comes from the other side of the pond seems to be that much more cynical, sarcastic, dry, witty and not affraid to push the boundaries of cencorship.

now take that into the scenario of a chat forum on a website, where you cant see the person your talking too. adding the fact that you have people from all parts of the world participating, with different ideas on what they might conceive to be funny, humourous etc....

and you have a recipe for disaster.

hence why so many threads get shut down.

I find the idea of anyone finding that lame attempt to be funny to be extremely funny.

We have nothing but the greatest respect for your opinion. :)

Glad you got the joke.

But seriously, what's so funny? The cheers and wild applause every time he swears? The racial self deprecation that seems to be obligatory for African American comedians? Or the "advice"? - "When a cop pulls you over, don't swear at him, be polite". If you think that's funny you'll be in stitches when you read my "How not to get your farang butt thrown in jail"...

"You know, we farangs are an uncultured, dirty bunch. We deserve to get our white <deleted> kicked around the compass by the hardworking Thai officials. But I'm going to show all you mother f****ing farangs (oooh he swore, shriek, wild applause) just how to behave properly in the land of smiles. When entering the country, hand your passport to the nice immigration officer, smile, be polite, say thank you when you get it back. Don't swagger up, spit in his face, flip your passport across the counter so it slides on the floor and say "what's the holdup you motherf****?" (ooh he swore again, shriek, wild applause). When a policeman comes up to you on the street and tells you you've broken the law say "I'm very sorry officer, I didn't mean to do wrong and break the fine laws of your beautiful country". Don't laugh at him, make grunting noises and say "f*** off youmotherf****er, (oooh more swearing, shriek, wild applause) I did nothing wrong. After bringing your rented jetski back, when the owner tells you you've damaged it and must pay, pull out your wallet and say "I'm very sorry, how much do you want?" Don't say "it was already like that you cheating, swindling c***s***er. (Oooh, a different swear word, shriek, wild applause). And finally, when leaving, and you decide to do a bit of shopping at Kingpower, when the undercover cop comes up and says you've stolen a keyring, say "I'm very sorry, what is the fine?" Don't say "I've been framed you son of a b*tch bas**rd wh*re dog you, (oooh, a cluster of swear words, shriek, wild applause), I demand to be taken to a nearby hotel, and bring me a Sri Lankan translator!" Now if all you white trash follow this advice, I guarantee you'll keep your sorry white butts out of prison. (End to rapturous applause as a bunch of random swearing takes place)."

American humor has sarcasm, understatement, obvious exaggeration. Bob Newhart, Jack Benny, others. You didn't invent dry humour, or English, Cleese was funny.

so who was it that started talking/"invented" the english langauge first?

thats the funniest qoute ive heard from a mod in a long time!

or was it an attempt at dry humour?

American humor has sarcasm, understatement, obvious exaggeration. Bob Newhart, Jack Benny, others. You didn't invent dry humour, or English, Cleese was funny.

You didn't mention Bob Hope. People think American but English through and through. :)

not to mention,

stan laurel, born, ulverston lancashire, england.

charlie chaplin, born walworth london, england.

Forgot, who invented English language then. eeeeeer, perhaps the "English", no, perhaps the yanks, no, Africans. Sorry, don't know, must have been the Russians. :)

It derives from Latin. So you could say the Romans I suppose.

You didn't mention Bob Hope. People think American but English through and through. :)

He's from my neck of the woods

And not sure if we invented it or not :D

but we certainly do it the best

and if you come from the UK you will know how full power it is there amongst friends