Dry British Sence Of Humour

tigerfish

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did look for a classic Billy on U toob, but there were to many to choose from. But had a good laugh watching them again. The incontinence pants one is hilarious. Also his language is a bit raw for a "family" forum.

All this technology stuff is a bit daunting for me, so I just rely on my fond memories - tales of the big yin and his disciples in the gallowgate... although my mother didn't approve of the salty language...which i think would be mild by today's standards...

SC

Interesting topic.

Humour indeed can make some people feel frustrated, those types who take themselves way to serious and always pre-occupied with themselves.

I don't like those peeps because they are just assh*les.

I'm sure they don't like you, for the same reason.

By way of a question, is it more offensive to dislike people in general, or to take a dislike to people individually?

Personally, I think it is worse to dislike complete strangers, because that seems like bigotry, although when you base your bigotry on something like "taking yourself too seriously and being pre-occuppied with yourself", no-one goes off on a rant the way that they do when you express a bigotry against people from elsewhere in the commonwealth.

Anyway, I think that you ought to be more tolerant, and make allowances for people that take themselves too seriously. Very few people are lucky to have the same combination of wit, patience, humour and good looks, not to mention humility, as you and I,

SC

Interesting topic.

Humour indeed can make some people feel frustrated, those types who take themselves way to serious and always pre-occupied with themselves.

I don't like those peeps because they are just assh*les.

I'm sure they don't like you, for the same reason.

By way of a question, is it more offensive to dislike people in general, or to take a dislike to people individually?

Personally, I think it is worse to dislike complete strangers, because that seems like bigotry, although when you base your bigotry on something like "taking yourself too seriously and being pre-occuppied with yourself", no-one goes off on a rant the way that they do when you express a bigotry against people from elsewhere in the commonwealth.

Anyway, I think that you ought to be more tolerant, and make allowances for people that take themselves too seriously. Very few people are lucky to have the same combination of wit, patience, humour and good looks, not to mention humility, as you and I,

SC

I don't say I am not tolerant, I am a very tolerant person and basically show a respectful attitude towards anybody, just with some peeps I have my doubts and won't go with them on a holiday.

But peeps who easy get frustrated from humour have a real problem and I don't envy them.

:)

If you call us Septics, we call you Shittish. It's American humor. Not funny? Neither is Septic.

Missing the point, understandably, rhyming slang is not intended to insult anyone, hard to explain if you haven't grown up with it.

When we call Americans septics it isn't meant to be funny and doesn't need a semi-insult as a response, although I can understand how you might think it does :)

Insults are not measured by the one hurling it. 'Rhyming slang' directed in an unfavorable manner toward others makes you Shittish.

And this one

Flying mince :):D

Connolly on the Glasgow Airport Attacks

QUOTE:

Good old Glasgow. If I had to pick a city in the world where I could depend on one of the locals to kick a man who was on fire, it would always be Glasgow. That really had to hurt - 90% burns and sore <deleted>...

I think we should get a photo of that guy KICKING A FLAMING MAN, blow it up and make it the welcome sign at Glasgow Airport. Underneath we should have the words 'Glasgow Welcomes Careful Drivers'...

I love the naivety of al-Qaeda. For trying to bring a religious war to Glasgow. You're 400 years too late guys!!

You've not even got a Football Team for Christ's sake... I think that we should give Partick Thistle to al-Qaeda. If only for the joy of hearing them read out their team sheet on Saturday...

The Sun last week urged us all to respond to the attack by flying the Union Jack. Really, in Glasgow that's never been a great way of getting your insurance premiums down...

If we play this whole terrorism thing right, we could get al-Qaeda to blow up some of Scotland's eyesores. I think we should definitely start putting signs up round Shettleston's high flats that say 'Financial Quarter'...

For a while, confusion reigned at Glasgow airport. Was it a terrorist attack or just Richard Hammond turning up late for check-in?

People say it was lucky they didn't crash into a fuel container. I say it's lucky they didn't hit the queue coming out of Duty Free - the whole place would have gone up like Hiroshima...

The best bit is being told that hundreds of people were saved from being hideously burnt...these were Scottish people flying to Spain! They'll come back looking like they've been bungee jumping off the lip of a volcano!"

ENDQUOTE

SC

If you call us Septics, we call you Shittish. It's American humor. Not funny? Neither is Septic.

Missing the point, understandably, rhyming slang is not intended to insult anyone, hard to explain if you haven't grown up with it.

When we call Americans septics it isn't meant to be funny and doesn't need a semi-insult as a response, although I can understand how you might think it does :)

Insults are not measured by the one hurling it. 'Rhyming slang' directed in an unfavorable manner toward others makes you Shittish.

I think its poor manners to take what wasn't offered, but if you like it, please keep the offense. I'm sure it will come in useful some time.

Have a nice evening

SC