Dry British Sence Of Humour

tigerfish

American humor has sarcasm, understatement, obvious exaggeration. Bob Newhart, Jack Benny, others. You didn't invent dry humour, or English, Cleese was funny.

Forgot, who invented English language then. eeeeeer, perhaps the "English", no, perhaps the yanks, no, Africans. Sorry, don't know, must have been the Russians. :)

It derives from Latin. So you could say the Romans I suppose.

This thread's getting funnier by the minute.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American humor has sarcasm, understatement, obvious exaggeration. Bob Newhart, Jack Benny, others. You didn't invent dry humour, or English, Cleese was funny.

Forgot, who invented English language then. eeeeeer, perhaps the "English", no, perhaps the yanks, no, Africans. Sorry, don't know, must have been the Russians. :)

Well, not to be picky, but only about 30% of English is derived from Latin.

You are right. Anglo Saxon, Welsh, Roman, Norman, Norse men, together made the English Language. Funny really when lots slag off our little Island but the WORLD has taken on "it's" language. Even the yanks, a country, in the beginning, made up of many nationalities chose English. I wonder why, well, suppose that makes me feel a bit better. :D

I think you'll find that at the time of independence, the American settlers were as British as the next man, and the most prosperous in the Empire at the time. When you look at all the things that we've given the world - the United States, cricket, beer in tins - you can see why we and our language are so popular.

SC

British humor is not "better" than American humor, or CHinese humor, or Ugandan humor, for that matter.  Neither is it worse.  It probably appeals more to Brits than that of other nationalities, but that does not make it better.

Personally, I like some British humor--The Office, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Extras, to name a few.  And of course, Monty Python.  One of my favorite US comedies was Arrested Development, and I always thought that had a UK bent.

But for all of those who keep harping that British humor is refined and dry, I only need to point out two of my least favorite shows, The Benny Hill Show and Mr. Bean.  Simply horrible, in my humble opinion.  

Regardless of what kind of humor each of us prefers, the point is that the "taking a piss at" type of humor of which many posters seem so fond does not translate well to print and to a multi-cultural audience.  A killer rabbit taking off a knight's head can be appreciated by probably any culture, but the acerbic put-downs are not so easily appreciated.  So instead of blaming the recipient for not understanding your humor, perhaps it is you who is at fault?  Isn't it incumbent on the poster to write well enough for all to understand that it is an attempt at humor?

I think you'll find that at the time of independence, the American settlers were as British as the next man, and the most prosperous in the Empire at the time. When you look at all the things that we've given the world - the United States, cricket, beer in tins - you can see why we and our language are so popular.

SC

Didnt the English language become the universal language and the most popular language because of the Americans being the current superpower.

Had history gone in a different direction for the past 200 years,

I would imagine if the settlers didnt create a nation or expand their territory, the universal language might of been French or even Spanish?

Not stating a fact. Not proving a point. Not my opinion either, just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

SC

Didnt the English language become the universal language and the most popular language because of the Americans being the current superpower.

I would imagine if the settlers didnt create a nation or expand their territory, the universal language might of been French or even Spanish?

Not stating a fact. Not proving a point. Not my opinion either, just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

To an extent, you are correct.  The use of English has become global largely because of the superpower status of the US, or perhaps more importantly, because of the huge market represented by the US.  But English was also the native language for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and a number of smaller ex-UK possessions.  It was a binding language for much of Africa, India, Malaysia, and the Philippines.  And except for the Philippines, all of that was because of British influence.

Additionally, English is the largest language in the world, the language with the most words.  Its structure and vocabulary are particularly suited for legalese, technical writing, and science. So in those fields, English has taken over as the best way to communicate the nuances and with the degree of exactness needed.

All of this, put together, are some of the probable reasons English is now the global language. 

All of this, put together, are some of the probable reasons English is now the global language. 

No it's because if the dam_n fuzzy wuzzys didn't like it they'd get a dam_n good thrashing eh what?

:)

British humor is not "better" than American humor, or CHinese humor, or Ugandan humor, for that matter.  Neither is it worse.  It probably appeals more to Brits than that of other nationalities, but that does not make it better.

Personally, I like some British humor--The Office, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, Extras, to name a few.  And of course, Monty Python.  One of my favorite US comedies was Arrested Development, and I always thought that had a UK bent.

But for all of those who keep harping that British humor is refined and dry, I only need to point out two of my least favorite shows, The Benny Hill Show and Mr. Bean.  Simply horrible, in my humble opinion.  

Regardless of what kind of humor each of us prefers, the point is that the "taking a piss at" type of humor of which many posters seem so fond does not translate well to print and to a multi-cultural audience.  A killer rabbit taking off a knight's head can be appreciated by probably any culture, but the acerbic put-downs are not so easily appreciated.  So instead of blaming the recipient for not understanding your humor, perhaps it is you who is at fault?  Isn't it incumbent on the poster to write well enough for all to understand that it is an attempt at humor?

Got to disagree with you a little bit here Mr Bonobo guv

I think British humor is better, British humor is watched worldwide, you can't say that for all the others you quoted, you don't get much American comedy (if any) in the UK but they have ours

And don't believe you don't like Benny Hill! and don't like Mr Bean!, I have never heard anyone say that before, there classics mate!

And when we are reciting English humor there is only one way to do it, you understand it or you don't, that's how English humor is, init it won't work in pigeon English. Plus it's nice to read posts that sound like back home, you know your not alone

And you try telling the younger generation that! and they won't believe you

To an extent, you are correct.  The use of English has become global largely because of the superpower status of the US, or perhaps more importantly, because of the huge market represented by the US.  But English was also the native language for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and a number of smaller ex-UK possessions.  It was a binding language for much of Africa, India, Malaysia, and the Philippines.  And except for the Philippines, all of that was because of British influence.

Funny thing is that inside the US english is going backwards, some places it is better to speak Spanish by now.

British humor is watched worldwide, you can't say that for all the others you quoted, you don't get much American comedy (if any) in the UK but they have ours

Sorry, but all your theories are wrong. We get a couple of British shows in the US - like Faulty Towers - on PBS and that is about it and American comedies are shown all over the world. British humor is funny, but no better than anywhere else.

British humor is watched worldwide, you can't say that for all the others you quoted, you don't get much American comedy (if any) in the UK but they have ours

Sorry, but all your theories are wrong. We get a couple of British shows in the US - like Faulty Towers - on PBS and that is about it and American comedies are shown all over the world. British humor is funny, but no better than anywhere else.

Good to see another Septic thinking the world is the US.

Friends has been exported eveywhere and must be one of the most financially successful sitcoms, but its more to do with women watching it for haricuts and hansum men/women then it being funny.

And don't believe you don't like Benny Hill! and don't like Mr Bean!, I have never heard anyone say that before, there classics mate!

Theyre cr4p not that well watched in England but some seemed to like them abroad for some strange reason

I always thought Mr Bean was shit until I was stuck in the Piano Bar at Abu Dhabi airport sinking a few glasses of wine with a TV screen opposite.

Well we couldn't hear a bloody thing of course and the simple visual comedy becomes quite funny.

Might explain why it exported so well. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqzSs63onKE

ricky gervais is currently cleaning up state side. he recently made a big impact at the oscar awards. the american t.v networks brought the rights to the office, which was his brain child. that along with a lot of other british t.v. sit coms that have had to be re-written to suit the american audiences.

sorry but i have to disagree with you on the fact that american humour/comedy is far better than anything us brits have to offer. imo american humour is far too conservative and not willing to push the boundaries of what is conceived to be funny.

for such a large country i find when it comes to ground breaking comedy you fall way behind. its almost as if the states is coccooned like and lives in its own little bubble, and anyone who disagrees is labelled as some kind of misfit.

if you want proof, just take a look at what the comedian sasha baron cohen did, when making the film borat.

Edited by tigerfish

Theyre cr4p not that well watched in England but some seemed to like them abroad for some strange reason

Not well watched Co's there well old or Benny Hill is, but it's a classic and Bean was huge

But don't you think it's where your from, you grow up with your humor be it UK US or wherever, course you're gona like it better you just spent growing up learning it

I'm not the one claiming that comedy in the US is any better than anywhere else - read what I said - but

it is certainly just as good. Ever hear of Seinfeld, Cheers or Mash? :)

TN_jerry_seinfeld004.JPG

Yeah I think I might of heard of them, nothing mega though, i did see the film Mash but couldn't get into the series,

the humor is different mate,

but if each to his own

:D

I'm not the one claiming that comedy in the US is any better than anywhere else - read what I said - but

it is certainly just as good. Ever hear of Seinfeld, Cheers or Mash? :)

TN_jerry_seinfeld004.JPG

Yeah I think I might of heard of them, nothing mega though, i did see the film Mash but couldn't get into the series,

the humor is different mate,

but if each to his own

:D

alan patridge,great stuff!!!!!!!!

dont like much american stuff but simpsons is genius!

SC

FACT: The English Language and English Humour were born in the Great Rift Valley, Africa, yes, about the time of Homo Erectus. What else do you think made them sit up and take notice? As everyone should know, Homo Sapiens embraced this language and culture and went on to rule the world, except for Texas.

What do you think happened to The Neandertals? They grew moustaches and spoke Spanish! Doh!

Innit?

--------------

Nicely put. What’s the point in arguing about who is the funniest? If it makes your audience laugh, it’s good. If it hurts your audience, it’s not good. It depends on one’s perspective. And diversity of perspectives is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

The problem we have with the English language that is spoken worldwide is "misunderstandings" with the language. What one countries population would understand as one thing another could take it completely the wrong way.

Take this lovely old couple from the good ole U.S of A on a trip to the UK. Their favourite football team is the Torpedoes and causes quite a stir in an English cafe with its patrons... :)