Where To Live In Pattaya Or Nearby Area?

Thunderbird4ever

Hi,

Been almost 10 years in Phuket now but want to change area as I am up for a position offshore and other reasons.

So we are looking for where to stay around the Pattaya area. It could be both sides of Pattaya, meaning south of or closer to Bangkok. I ve only been to Pattaya 3 times but was then most of the time in the downtown area and at Bira circuit so I dont know the area very well.

We would want a house in a residental area with security personal at the main gate and at aprox. 20.000-25.000 B a month. I guess there is plenty to choose from when it comes to that so its more about whats in your nearby area. Family friendly things etc. Downtown and the big bar scene is not important to have very close to the house as I go to Bangkok to have that. I do want to live in an area with many foreigners though and also where there is plenty of local restaurants.

So where to start?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could provide a little more information about your family situation it might help. You use the term "we," do you have kids, what age if any? I just ask because if you have school age children proximity to a good school would be important

How big a house are you looking for...how many bedrooms? Does it have to be a detached house or would a row-house or condo be acceptable? Do you want a club-house and common pool?

With that budget, finding a larger detached house in a moobaan in a more built-up area of town might be difficult. Outside of town in the Sri Racha or Sattahip areas no problem. There are lots of nice secure moobaans in the East Pattaya area that would probably fit the bill and you may be able to secure one in the 25k range.

Without knowing more about your situation is hard to recommend a specific one.

Edited by FarangBuddha

We have a kid that is 3 years old and my wife is Thai. I could easily go up to 30.000-35.0000 baht a month but from my experiance with Thailand it should not be a problem to find a house for 25.000 in a village. But of course I dont know the rental price in Pattaya.

I do not want an apartment but a single standing house with 3 bedrooms will be fine. Regarding swimmingpool I dont want that in my garden but if one in the village thats fine. One outside of the village nearby will also do.

The house must have some outdoor area able to seat 6-8 people and with a garden size similar to play something like badminton with a normal sized net.

Also I must be able to park one of our 2 cars inside the house fence everyday without it coming in the way of the outdoor area as I got a fully built car at that time.

Regarding school it is important that there is a good nursery school in terms of international standards nearby. He is in one now that I am paying 13.000 baht a month for.

We are coming up this week to have a look around.

Thanks for helping out! :)

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Agreed. I know lots of families who live happily in Pattaya...good schools, recreation and sports opportunities, movie theatres, bowling, what's not to like for a kid.

Pattaya is not just for mongers anymore (and hasn't been for years :D

Pattaya and the areas very close to there do not provide "normal family lives".

Sri Racha and Bang Saen on the other hand do provide that opportunity.

Utter nonsense! :)

Agreed. I know lots of families who live happily in Pattaya...good schools, recreation and sports opportunities, movie theatres, bowling, what's not to like for a kid.

LOL, ummmmm of course there aren't a million bars and the folks that work in them and the folks that patronize them all throughout the area. If you think seeing that is "normal" anywhere in the world outside of places like Pattaya (or Patong in Phuket or Patpong and lower Suk in BKK) then you have quite an odd view of "normal".

In that range, especially if you are willing to go up to 30k, you will have no problem finding something to your liking. Best advice is to come here for a few days...rent some wheels, and drive around and maybe check-out the books of a couple agencies in town. Also, check-out public notice boards at Friendship, Foodland, and Carrefour.

My main piece of advice is to ignore the real estate pimps when it comes to actually renting a place...they just have mostly over-priced stuff and half the stuff in their books is out of date (already rented or off the market).

Edited by FarangBuddha

LOL, ummmmm of course there aren't a million bars and the folks that work in them and the folks that patronize them all throughout the area. If you think seeing that is "normal" anywhere in the world outside of places like Pattaya (or Patong in Phuket or Patpong and lower Suk in BKK) then you have quite an odd view of "normal".

Youv'e obviously never visited Pattaya then, or at least the areas away from beach road / walking street areas have you?

Did a man in a bar tell you there were a million bars in Pattaya!

I know very few families who live in downtown Pattaya where those businesses are concentrated. In addition, if your and your family's life is in Thailand, such businesses are found all over the country (to one extent or another) and are just part of the background noise. So in that sense, it's all perfectly normal.

You obviously have some bias or old opinions regarding Pattaya, but as anyone who actually lives here can tell you, there are many couples (farang-farang and farang-thai) and families here living perfectly normal lives. Even many long-term single men take up a pretty conventional life after a time.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Yes I agree. Utter nonsense. That's if you think. From walking street to the end of nakluea a distance of some 3 kl. Full of go go bar's. And seedy joint's. That's beach rd 2 rd And part's of third rd. Not to mention the road's inbetween. Is a good place to bring up a 3 year old. I left some 5 year's ago for precisely that reason. Yes utter nonsense.

Sounds more like to me that the reason you left was to avoid your own temptation...I don't think a 3 year old would give a bit of notice of all the cute girls all around them.

Yes I agree. Utter nonsense. That's if you think. From walking street to the end of nakluea a distance of some 3 kl. Full of go go bar's. And seedy joint's. That's beach rd 2 rd And part's of third rd. Not to mention the road's inbetween. Is a good place to bring up a 3 year old. I left some 5 year's ago for precisely that reason. Yes utter nonsense.

Or because his wife/girlfriend/partner told him that was what he had to do, and if he ever ventured back there....he would wake up missing an appendage!! :D

Sounds more like to me that the reason you left was to avoid your own temptation...I don't think a 3 year old would give a bit of notice of all the cute girls all around them.

I regard the above post as provocative if not trolling.

I choose not to take action on this occasion but please be more careful with your posting.

I regard the above post as provocative if not trolling.

I choose not to take action on this occasion but please be more careful with your posting.

Absolutely not intended as trolling or baiting though I guess some people could consider it provacative.It is just an observation based upon my experiences in Pattaya off and on over the past 14 years. I assume a case could be made for the 'dark side' or down towards Sattahiip but for what I would consider a "normal family life" any place with the vast number of bars (of all sorts) that exist in Pattaya certainly doesn't meet that standard. If it were my brother asking about relocating his family there it is exactly what I would say to him, if you feel otherwise that is certainly OK. I did not denigrate the city at all, I still go there occasionally :)

Sri Racha and Bang Saen do, in my opinion, offer a more "normal family life" environment.

There are great places outside Pattaya to live and raise a family. There are, however, certainly parts of Pattaya that I would not like a young child (especially a young girl) exposed to. And while these parts may exist everywhere in Thailand (and in most large cities in the world), it is more "in your face" in Pattaya. I only hope that Pattaya "improves" faster than my 2 year old grows...

I am living in a nice village in North Pattaya close to BKK/Patt hospital, 90% of Thai/farang couples here live a normal family life incl my family. This is convenient close to down town for shopping/dining. I go out for beers once or twice a week with my friends, taking a mc taxi cost 60 bath, going home if after midnight 100 bath, perfect. We couldn't be bothered going to walking street paying +100 bath for a beer.

All the whiners who always slam Pattaya, are properly types whom can't keep their "willy's" in their pants or drinking them self to death now sitting in a little village in the middle of no where dreaming of the funny times they had here, but was told by the wife to move out OR. Why are you reading Pattaya forum in the first place?? I don't read Phuket-BKK forum anymore as I don't don't live there anymore.

Post deleted, The topic is:

Where To Live In Pattaya Or Nearby Area?, What area is good for a normal family life?

IMHO there are nice places nearby to Pattaya City, where kids can grow into useful people, lets be hearing about them and why the OP should consider them, enough of the negatives, lets have some positives.

I am living in a nice village in North Pattaya close to BKK/Patt hospital, 90% of Thai/farang couples here live a normal family life incl my family. This is convenient close to down town for shopping/dining. I go out for beers once or twice a week with my friends, taking a mc taxi cost 60 bath, going home if after midnight 100 bath, perfect. We couldn't be bothered going to walking street paying +100 bath for a beer.

All the whiners who always slam Pattaya, are properly types whom can't keep their "willy's" in their pants or drinking them self to death now sitting in a little village in the middle of no where dreaming of the funny times they had here, but was told by the wife to move out OR. Why are you reading Pattaya forum in the first place?? I don't read Phuket-BKK forum anymore as I don't don't live there anymore.

I looked at the Pattaya forum today because I was there for 8 day's, left sunday. I was only there to go to a 100 day's thingy after the burning. And I can asure you I still think that Pattaya is great for the single man/lady but it's not for me and my family. I think you are doing the right thing. Live a little bit out side and commute when it suit's. Enjoy.

[quote name='fredob43' I looked at the Pattaya forum today because I was there for 8 day's, left sunday. I was only there to go to a 100 day's thingy after the burning. And I can asure you I still think that Pattaya is great for the single man/lady but it's not for me and my family. I think you are doing the right thing. Live a little bit out side and commute when it suit's. Enjoy.

fredob43 I am not particular targeting you as your post is fair enough. I more after the types who calls Pattaya shit hole and worse. I can't understand why they read/post on Pattaya forum. If I have moved out from a shit hole I couldn't bother looking back but try to move forward.

I am a sea man working world wide in the oil industry, I have been in a shit hole place or two during my time at work oh boy man, but forgetting all about when here on holiday :)

Post deleted, The topic is:

Where To Live In Pattaya Or Nearby Area?, What area is good for a normal family life?

IMHO there are nice places nearby to Pattaya City, where kids can grow into useful people, lets be hearing about them and why the OP should consider them, enough of the negatives, lets have some positives.

<<< Thanks, this are answers I am looking for. Names of areas and specific villages people are living in and name of areas that offer what I am after.

So what are considered the best areas in Pattaya?

School will be an important factor but that will matter more in about 3-4 years time. I am settling for the best schools for my son if they are 600k or 900 k a year. It will earn him a decent job in the future I think.

I do not consider an area like Patong in Phuket to offer you anything even close to a normal family life. Im done with going out 3 times a week but frequently stop in bars for a couple of beers. And where I live now in Chalong there are plenty of bars within a radius of one kilometer. As i mentioned earlier i do my party up in Bangkok and quite so often. The Walking street and other heavy tourist areas and I want be using them much.

I am moving up to Pattaya to get closer to good friends in Bangkok, the motor scene, too shorten down the traveling when offshore and also because its enough with the island feeling down here now. Chalong where I live I would consider one of the best areas to live in terms of little bit of everything but I am for sure not happy about in the same way I was before as about 10 people have being murdered here in this small Tambon in just about 1 year. It is for sure out of control now. Pattaya looks like they at least deal with some of their worst crimes. In Scandinavia Pattaya has been a bad name for such a long time but lately the biggest media report great things and change about the place and also that this is the place to go for activities with kids etc.

I have chose to live here versus Europe and think If I did take my family home and raised him there I would not grow old with him becauses he would probably live over there and me retiring here later. I ll grow old in this country no matter what and would love to keep us all togehter as a family.

Now find me a village! :)

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Well thunderbird there are several options (thank Buddha for that) :D .

I personally prefer to live "inside" Sukhumvit road which I do here in Baan Chalita (No1), which means that I don't have to cross the dreaded Sukhumvit Road when going down town.

There are many nice places in East Pattaya as well, restaurants-bars and so on, so you don't actually have to go down town for a nice night out. Most villages are located over there.

It is down to you and your family what you prefer off course, so if I was you I would rent some wheels as others also suggested and start looking around. If you see a nice village, go and ask the security guards if any house(s) for rent and if you can drive inside and have a look.

My wife and I have been in many villages on the East side looking for a nice place to live, but decided to stay in Bann Chalita, so we sold our house here and bought a bigger one, so I can only recommend my village.

I don't want a swimming pool in my garden as well, but we have a good common one, filled with kids almost every evening at sun down. :)

I have similar requirements with a child of the same age. I do not worry about school too much as I accept my daughter will have to travel to school and all the international schools have their own transport. Her mother or I can fill in as back up for that.

One thing for you to consider is buying a place. Now you may have your own reasons for not just purchasing a house outright; the fact that you cannot own it is one I do not like. However, renting is dead money and with some planning, you can get a mortgage at around 75% to 80% of the purchase price. Inverting your 25k into a mortgage repayment over 20 years at 6.5% APR would allow you to borrow just under 3.5m which with your 20% would give you about 4.2m. If you do that, you would get a very decent house and have enough flexibility to get the land you want. A medium term plan perhaps ?

Initially, I understand what you are looking for but when I have looked, for any type of property actually, over many years, it has been more beneficial for me to drive around the estates, see where I would like to live and then actually go looking at places which are often advertised with placards on the railings of the house. Sometimes you avoid agents and find something which you would never see advertised. Asking in local shops (get your wife to do it) can yield results. There are umpteen places to rent but that diversity means that you have to make some decisions as to where you want to live beforehand. It is not possible to say "show me all 25k houses" and even today, the agents websites are still in the relative dark ages. You cannot even search for properties with pools for example !

If you don't know already, get to grips with Thai sizes. No point in going to see a property if the house size relative to the land size means it has no garden. Examples are house size 320sqm land 400sqm. Great ! but check they don't mean 2*160sqm over two stories, giving you 240sqm of land !

From what you say, I'd go east of Sukhumvit but not to far from the road, not to Mabprachan Lake for instance. I lived off Khao Talo and really liked it. Loads available and easy to compare. But when looking, make lots of notes and take a video camera with a large SD card.

Pattaya is more than bar areas that is for certain, quite sedate once you get away from the tourist areas. The main tourist areas do not get going until late evening when I think most lil ones would be at home and quietly tucked away so that wouldnt be much a problem.

So yes you will fine smth really nice for the price range you indicate. :)

If you want convenience of being close to town there are a couple of villages on Thepprasit Road and also Grand Condo and Jomtien Condo Village have houses in them.

I looked at places like that when I moved out of my View Talay condo a few years ago and wanted a house. I thought I liked the idea of one of those houses in a set of about 6 or 8 around a communal pool but they had little gardens, overlooked each other much more than you'd think and were significantly overpriced IMHO.

In very simple terms, you could get the same house with more land and more privacy just over Sukhumvit and a new truck or decent sized car on finance over 4 years for the same price as renting in those areas. That wasn't a choice I had to make but the numbers came out about that. Had they been better priced, I would probably have taken one then but would not do so now. I think condo living is better the ocean side of Sukhumvit and house living better over Sukhumvit.

How come Pattaya bashers have to troll every thread discussing living in the Pattaya area? It is getting boring!

Pattaya is much more than the Beach and 2nd road areas that the bashers saw on their holiday to Pattaya. Open your eyes!