Where To Live In Pattaya Or Nearby Area?

Thunderbird4ever

How come Pattaya bashers have to troll every thread discussing living in the Pattaya area? It is getting boring!

Pattaya is much more than the Beach and 2nd road areas that the bashers saw on their holiday to Pattaya. Open your eyes!

I couldn't agree more :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come Pattaya bashers have to troll every thread discussing living in the Pattaya area? It is getting boring!

Pattaya is much more than the Beach and 2nd road areas that the bashers saw on their holiday to Pattaya. Open your eyes!

Pattaya is no doubt much more (and in some ways perhaps less) than people realize on their vacations or short trips to Pattaya. It is also not homogeneous and varies greatly from area to area. Some areas are well suited for families and some are not. That is why it is necessary to look around carefully before you make a long term/permanent housing commitment. For a family, I think that a house on the Right Side is by far the best choice. But the Right Side has parts (most of Neun Pleub Wan and Khow Talo, as examples) that are too congested and shabby for my taste. But Naklua could also be nice in certain parts, and it is closer to the beach. But remember that Pattaya is changing and growing rapidly. The best advice is to lease short term (2+ months) (a house ot condo) and look around with some care before making a decision as to where to settle down. You won't regret it.

i had to make the same decision a few months ago, after 9 years in Samui. We came up and stayed in hotel for a week and almost instantly decided East Pattaya, Dark side. lots of places like your looking for around soi country club and the sois around there. with that budget you will get one no problems loads for rent now. check out the friendship, big c tesco carefore etc notice boards. takes me about 15 mins to get downtown, although can be longer with bad traffic. purchased a GPS best thing i ever did, learn all the rat runs. around mapachan lake is beuatiful. Ban Sare is really nice been there today, houses cheap but for me to quite.

if you want to look around this side PM and i will give you quick run round.

me too! I live in Pattaya with my family and live a quite normal life. It is possible unless you take your residence at soi 6/7/8. Any other town in Thailand (and elsewhere in the world for that matter) as an entertainment area and it is your choice whether you visit there or not.

Pattaya is no doubt much more (and in some ways perhaps less) than people realize on their vacations or short trips to Pattaya. It is also not homogeneous and varies greatly from area to area. Some areas are well suited for families and some are not. That is why it is necessary to look around carefully before you make a long term/permanent housing commitment. For a family, I think that a house on the Right Side is by far the best choice. But the Right Side has parts (most of Neun Pleub Wan and Khow Talo, as examples) that are too congested and shabby for my taste. But Naklua could also be nice in certain parts, and it is closer to the beach. But remember that Pattaya is changing and growing rapidly. The best advice is to lease short term (2+ months) (a house ot condo) and look around with some care before making a decision as to where to settle down. You won't regret it.

I would go much further and say to rent somewhere for 6 months and if you are not sure of an area, go live there on a rental. Buying is easy, selling is hard.

If you are considering long term rental, then think about what the landlord's plans are and make sure you have at least a few clauses protecting you, including the right to offer match for the property should he want to sell it.

Well tomster I don't agree, I really like in my village near BKK/Patt hospital, quiet nice people.

Isn't it too dark close to the lake(s), i mean if you want to go down town for beers and going home say 0200 in the morning?? :)

Yes very easy to go to BKK, which is nice but only for max 5 days and I have enough, but the big mango is fascinating :D , lived there for app. 3 years before moving to Patts.

I prefer the Huay Yai area, much easier access to town, easy access to the motorways north and south, and much better roads than around the lake, but as said each person is different and has different needs.

You really need to take the time to get around a bit to see what suits you.

The area around the second largest Pattaya reservoir is having a huge amount of work done at this time, (not sure of the name of it?) there are new roads going in, and the reservoir is being deepened, has a lot of potential.........

The area around the second largest Pattaya reservoir is having a huge amount of work done at this time, (not sure of the name of it?) there are new roads going in, and the reservoir is being deepened, has a lot of potential.........

That would be Charknok reservior - Huay Yai district, Huay Yai city hall seems to be spending an awesome ammount of money on new infrastructure, electric, drainage, roads, streetlights etc, long may it continue! :)

Thanks guys. The tread is turning into good stuff now! This will be informative for many others as well I belive.

First we will probably go for a rental without checking out the area too much and rent short term of aprox. 6 months. Then take our time looking around in various areas. Its the same here in Phuket, you need to give it some time to get to know certain areas before deceiding.

As long as the area we are staying in has lots to offer like plenty of nearby restaurants and the conveniance of a nearby Lotus ,a Carrefour or a big C, then I will care more about being near the main highways or motor roads than being near the downtown areas.

I think I also wanna try out Pattaya for at least 3-4 years before considering buying anything up there. Me aswell as most other expats of course dont like that you cant buy land anymore with a 50/50 ownership with you wife without having to bend the laws of Thailand. Anyway I have a dual citizenship child so I can secure it through a lease from him and then he eventually will be the owner of it. I totally agree that rental is waisting money, unless you invested in a property in your home country that you are leasing out to cover mortgages and in the long run also will give you a raise in property value there. Having that said, lets not turn this now good thread into details about how to bend the laws.

Good info is coming up here now thanks to many!

me too! I live in Pattaya with my family and live a quite normal life. It is possible unless you take your residence at soi 6/7/8. Any other town in Thailand (and elsewhere in the world for that matter) as an entertainment area and it is your choice whether you visit there or not.

Totaly agree,

Where on earth do some get this crap from.I think they have only been to the soi6/7/8 and walking st,total mongers.I can walk to the beach in 7 mins,but very quiet area

Thanks guys. The tread is turning into good stuff now! This will be informative for many others as well I belive.

First we will probably go for a rental without checking out the area too much and rent short term of aprox. 6 months. Then take our time looking around in various areas. Its the same here in Phuket, you need to give it some time to get to know certain areas before deceiding.

As long as the area we are staying in has lots to offer like plenty of nearby restaurants and the conveniance of a nearby Lotus ,a Carrefour or a big C, then I will care more about being near the main highways or motor roads than being near the downtown areas.

I think I also wanna try out Pattaya for at least 3-4 years before considering buying anything up there. Me aswell as most other expats of course dont like that you cant buy land anymore with a 50/50 ownership with you wife without having to bend the laws of Thailand. Anyway I have a dual citizenship child so I can secure it through a lease from him and then he eventually will be the owner of it. I totally agree that rental is waisting money, unless you invested in a property in your home country that you are leasing out to cover mortgages and in the long run also will give you a raise in property value there. Having that said, lets not turn this now good thread into details about how to bend the laws.

I was in your same situation last summer. Spent a month in Phuket with friends looking around (they live in Bang Tao), and found it too expensive and too hard to get around, though the beaches are AWESOME. We came here initially just to visit with friends, but ended up with a house due to a fantastic deal. My opinion of Pattaya has been pretty low over the years. My first trip lasted one night as I couldn't stand it. But as others have stated, if you get out of Central Pattaya (even the North end of Jomtien), it is a different world...you need a car to do this. We have been living here now for about 4 months and really like it...and we only go to Central Pattaya occasionally.

The communities around Pattaya are extremely varied. But whatever you pick, you are only minutes to Suk...and then only minutes to Tesco, Carrefour, Big C, etc. Suk is a little busy at times, but not that bad. Even a trip to Central Festival or The Avenue is easy. We do enjoy a visit there every now and then for a movie or a bite to eat or to just shop around.

A previous poster mentioned some busy sois on the dark side (East side of Suk). IMHO, he is right on. We looked around there but were turned off by the drive down to Suk. A few are really bad. BUT! As previously mentioned, the area around the Mabprachan reservoir is really, really nice. Very peaceful out there. And quite a few villages that would for sure meet your needs.

I don't have any experience with Naklua. Nor with Sri Racha or Bang Saen. I have some friends who live in Bang Saen and they really like it...but mainly because it is close to the airport, which he uses every week.

We live South of town, in Baan Amphur. Suk is pretty busy to cross, but other than that, it is a different world down there. No beer bars, etc. Mostly families...and quite a few Thai families. The large condo developments are owned by a lot of wealthier Thai's who only visit on weekends and holidays. I watched our neighbors head to the beach yesterday with their kids in tow. They go every few days, eat on the beach, then ride their bikes back 1KM to get home. Bang Saray is also really nice, but not sure of the villages down there. You know better than most, but make sure you have good security. Break-ins are a problem here....

Here are a few links you might be interested in:

http://www.pattayapropertyfinder.com/

http://www.thaiproperty.com/ (met with this guy...seemed like a real stand up guy)

http://www.jomtien-property.com/index.php?p=index (great site due to maps, but listings are REALLY out of date)

http://www.pattaya-property.net/ (Run by Alan Bolton, I bought my house from him. Fantastic. Steve is a great agent there and does rentals)

http://www.paradisecityproperty.com/ (we got our apt rental from Alan there, great guy)

I highly recommend contacting either Steve or Alan. If nothing else, to get their opinions and recommendations. It is probably worth a hour of your time and you never know what might turn up. Driving around is also a great idea, but trying to find that one, small sign indicating a house for rent is tough. We did that, but mainly after we decided on a development we were interested in renting. In the end, we got our 3 month rental from Alan, in a building we would have never found. And it has turned out to be a pretty good deal...and much cheaper than going through the buildings management!

Please keep us updated on your progress. Chok dee krup!

^Steve (Carlton) is dead unless there is a new Steve working with Alan Bolton?

I don't know the guys last name. He is fairly young and I believe started working with Alan less than a year ago. I believe Mr. Carlton was a partner with Alan? And highly respected...correct?

^Steve (Carlton) is dead unless there is a new Steve working with Alan Bolton?

I don't know the guys last name. He is fairly young and I believe started working with Alan less than a year ago. I believe Mr. Carlton was a partner with Alan? And highly respected...correct?

Correct.

Sounds like a different Steve then.

In that range, especially if you are willing to go up to 30k, you will have no problem finding something to your liking. Best advice is to come here for a few days...rent some wheels, and drive around and maybe check-out the books of a couple agencies in town. Also, check-out public notice boards at Friendship, Foodland, and Carrefour.

My main piece of advice is to ignore the real estate pimps when it comes to actually renting a place...they just have mostly over-priced stuff and half the stuff in their books is out of date (already rented or off the market).

for 30'k i can rent a house in a normal (Germany, US, etc. country. 30'k per month is defenitifely to much for a normal house. Pattaya not ideal for Families with kids, Jomtien Area is better, don't go to "darkside". Traffic problems, small narrow sois, Flouting roads, etc!

After living in East Pattaya for about 2 months I finally made it up to the lake for dinner last night - it was like entering a different World...

When my lease expires on my current house i'm going straight up there, it's a bit further out but still only a 15-20 minute drive into the bright lights.

Starting to really like Pattaya now - hated it when I first came many years ago but never a dull moment here and very, very easy to get to from Bangkok.

East Pattaya all the way, the nearer the lake you go the nicer it gets.

I did very much the same as you. We moved over from Jomtien and thought it was great. Then we had some friends with a place further out, nearer the lake and one with a plce really right on the lake. It seemed ideal, though with a bit less activity than you see today. However, it is not as it seems.

Firstly, you have to drive everywhere and I mean everywhere. Fine if you don't drink, bloody limiting if you do. Most people drive drunk or very drunk. It is a fact of life there. I didn't want to be on the roads with mass drunkards in their Fortuners and the roads are very poorly lit there.

Prices have risen dramatically and I don't think there is the same value there once was. Getting into Pattaya or driving out there seems an easy breeze until you have to do it every day. Then it is a major chore and so you become more and more isolated as you don't want to have to drive into town.

We settled on a place off Khao Talo. 7/11 off the village, a street with a few bars and somewhere to get a bite to eat. Very decent market across the road. 1.7km to Sukhumvit and Walking Street is 5km away. Tesco on the relative doorstep and Carrefour is 10 minutes away. If I want to go to the lake, I can be there in a little over 15 minutes. I think it provedes the best of both worlds, village living off a main artery to Sukhumvit.

I'd rent a suite in a hotel or a condo for a month before getting into a term agreement. MMT in Naklua can sort you out if you need.

As for not wanting to buy and waiting 3 or 4 years ? I don't understand that unless you think prices will depreciate more than the rent you pay over that time period. If you paid 20k a month, then that is a near 1,000,000 you've lost in rent over 4 years. If prices on that 4m house went up 25% over 4 years, you'd have lost 2m baht.

If you want to be in the property market but you don't want a house as you cannot own it, then what about a back to back deal ? Buy a condo in your name, rent it out and use that rental income to pay for the rent on the house you want buy can never own in your name.

In that range, especially if you are willing to go up to 30k, you will have no problem finding something to your liking. Best advice is to come here for a few days...rent some wheels, and drive around and maybe check-out the books of a couple agencies in town. Also, check-out public notice boards at Friendship, Foodland, and Carrefour.

My main piece of advice is to ignore the real estate pimps when it comes to actually renting a place...they just have mostly over-priced stuff and half the stuff in their books is out of date (already rented or off the market).

for 30'k i can rent a house in a normal (Germany, US, etc. country. 30'k per month is defenitifely to much for a normal house. Pattaya not ideal for Families with kids, Jomtien Area is better, don't go to "darkside". Traffic problems, small narrow sois, Flouting roads, etc!

It has taken me a long time to get my head around property prices here in Thailand. Way to expensive, IMHO. Especially when compared to what you mention. Same in the US. Easy to get a normal house for that amount...except in high rent areas like New York City, etc.!

But...here they are. Build to 3rd world standards with 3rd world infrastructure. What can you do? There is a house in our development renting out for 80k/month. It is beautiful. Nice pool, security, gated village, beautiful interior, right off Suk. But I guess that is the going rate...it is owned by a Thai who has to move due to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd rent a suite in a hotel or a condo for a month before getting into a term agreement. MMT in Naklua can sort you out if you need.

As for not wanting to buy and waiting 3 or 4 years ? I don't understand that unless you think prices will depreciate more than the rent you pay over that time period. If you paid 20k a month, then that is a near 1,000,000 you've lost in rent over 4 years. If prices on that 4m house went up 25% over 4 years, you'd have lost 2m baht.

If you want to be in the property market but you don't want a house as you cannot own it, then what about a back to back deal ? Buy a condo in your name, rent it out and use that rental income to pay for the rent on the house you want buy can never own in your name.

Because its much more into it than just thinking money lost or made. Things are not only about that. Right now I am quite happy that I didnt buy a house in Phuket as I would have to deal with that sale now. Yes it would probably set me off with some profit if I bought it a long time ago but it is not always that easy to sell. I see so many houses in good villages here that has been up for sale for a very a long time. The price is increased about 25% from the original price and they are about 3-4 years old. Also many modiifcations to the better has been done to these houses. Still they are hard to sell.

If I bought a house several years ago I would then be recognised as a 50/50 owner with my wife according to the law. That would made me feel good back then. But look at the new laws. Now its far the from same amount of people interested in buying homes on a land plot than it could be. Its much less interesting now when you have to sign off a paper at the land department that your wife owns it all. Yes there are ways around but for the majority it means looking at other options as well as investing elsewhere.

A back to back deal is great and propably even greater if I invest in my home country where the markets and laws are more predictable. Really I could rent for ages if investing elsewhere. The biggest downside of renting is its not yours and you dont do what you want with it. Also one day you ll have too move out when the owner wants.

Also I think your calculation is quite qrong as there is nothing as a mortgage free loan. Also I never considered money spent on something that never gave me a profit back as money lost. I dont live by that rule. I need a roof over my head and money will give me that who ever they will be paid too.

If not owning a house in Thailand and an entry for sure will be hel_l of a lot easier if that comes comes for a day.

This thread is about where to have a roof over your head in Patters. But thanks for your concern. :)

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

I meant, If not owning a house in Thailand and an EXIT out of here for sure will be hel_l of a lot easier if that comes for a day.

When I moved from BKK to Pattaya and have also previously lived in Phuket (always renting), I knew after living here for app. 1 year okay this is it, I gone stay until it's time to check out permanently.

Regarding owning or rent: Well I prefer to own, read: lease from the wife for 30 years. :D We have an infant son and properly more to come despite my high age (48) so I am pretty sure we will stay together for a very long time if not for life.

When you own a house, the unavoidable improvements you do well its your house so you fell good about it, not something you would do it you rent for sure.

Yes agree regarding buying a house for profit, forget it, probably 3000+ for sale in Pattaya area, but when I retire in 10-15 years time my house is long time paid for and improvements done, which mean we can stay here very cheaply :)

After living in central Pattaya for a few years then moving to East Pattaya (where I swore I never would do :) ) life is so much more relaxed and a million times more healthy mostly due to the fact of being outside in the fresh air and sun daily whereas you seem to be covered over if that makes sense almost permanently living in Central areas.

The only downside is the drive back and fourth, i do miss the convenience of it all living in central but you become lazy, over the east side you have to make an effort which really is a good thing, keeps you on your toes but as I say it is so much more laid back and nicer.

So yes definitely would suggest somewhere on the east side for family and a healthier life style but would recommend spending a good 1 or 2 weeks driving around there are so many villages to chose from its unbelievable, you find one area that you think is the best then guaranteed you will find somewhere better later on!

And they say location location location....yes that might be true in most cases but for me the number 1 is neighbours, neighbours, neighbours! make sure they haven't got dogs that continually bark non stop at night, so check the area at night also.

One more thing I should mention, and never seen it mentioned before, over in the east side some villages have a speaker system that comes on early in the morning and late afternoon, the head village person plays music and speaks about the day. If that don't bother you then cool, if it would drive you nuts then look for the speakers before you hand any cash over. If you are British you will remember Hi di Hi, that's what it reminds me off, a xylophone will be struck 3 times then someone speaks, It reminds me of Gladi's and her calling Hi di Hi through the speaker! haha, there are even Muslim prayer speakers in some parts, even in a 25k detached house you could here it in the next village so you must go there at all different times of the day.

Good luck with your move anyway.

Edited by 101734