Car Import

johnmcc6

I have this old 6 cylinder Magna here in Australia . I will be coming to Thailand at the end of the year and would love to take the car with me. It is in mint condition, worth very little here because of its age and can be shipped at a reasonable price. Can anyone advise as to the hassle I may encounter there re rego , duty etc once the car lands in Thailand? Any advice would be great.

Do a search you will find it is about 260 percent duty which is applied to what the Thai authorities value the car at this duty is also applied to the cost of transporting it to Thailand.

Hardly worth it for an old magna.

Quite simply, forget about it. the magnitude of the paper work alone will do you in.The money, arbitrary, completely up to the discretion of customs officials. Another major issue, certification of emissions. 1000-2000 Us dollars and your car will never pass that one. Many have pursued their dream of bringing their classic here, me included. I gave up and bought a local truck. Unless you are prepared for a blank check gift with an agent for bribing with zero guarantees, go to Malaysia.

Hi, we have a 10-year old BMW sitting on our drive back in the UK - same as your Magna, not worth much now because of fuel cost. We have made enquiries about bringing it over, but have received the same advice as you - not worth the bother! Such a shame - we would have loved to have it here with us.

The only way to bring it with cheap tax, cut it to half's and bring it in as junk.

Then put it together in Thailand they are god at that mostly all imports from Japan are made that way.

How they do with registration I dont know.

Thank you all for the advice.This forum is great and I not only learn a lot about Thailand but get a real kick out of some of the replies.

Looking forward to catching up with some of you when I arrive.