Visa Run From Chiang Mai

Hi,

My 2nd tourist visa (that I got at the Chiang Mai immigration office) is expiring within a week. I am uncertain about what the best option for me is to get a new preferably not less than 60 d visa. I've heard there are some places that organize visa runs to Vientiane. Does anybody know of a place in Chiang Mai that organizes this, and what exactly I need to do before I go, what the procedure is, how long it takes and what the costs are? I might be staying much longer.... any advice, tips, details on this topic I would be greatfull for.

Cheers,

H

Your best bet is to go to the bus station and catch a bus to Udon Thani, and from there either a bus to Nong Kai followed by tuk tuk to the border, or take a more direct bus to Vientiane. There is much more to it than this, however, and you'll need to read the thread concerning crossing this border extensively.

As to tour or visa run vans, I'm not sure. I think they generally cost more than I can afford on my teacher's salary.

You can get a double entry 2 month tourist visa for free, I think, although there may be other costs. There is a hefty fee when entering Lao which is best paid in US$.

Not aware of any visa run companies, I've always known people to get a bus to Udon Thani overnight, catch a bus to Nong Khai in the am, over into Vientiene to, hopefully, apply for a visa that morning.

Visas applications are accepted in the morning, issued in the afternoon of the next working day. So if you were to arrive on Friday am, you get your visa on Monday pm.....

Monday mornings at the embassy are predictably busy.