Internet In Nangrong

bread

My wife and daughter will soon be returning to Nangrong In order to keep in contact I would like to pay for Internet could someone tell me

1. Can i get mobile internet would this be any good for skype/messanger webcam e.t.c

2. Can i get fixed telephone/broadband

3. What would be the costs involved

I dont want to pay for a telephone line that can make out going calls as this will get abused so any ideas would be apreseated

thanks very much Bread.

TOT is definitely up the road 15km as we have it there. All the usual xxxxxcyber packages available. Best cyber is too slow really for Skype video and you'd do better to get better than that. Get as much up speed as you can, the greater problem is with that though best is not enough day by day to stop frozen page video.

I've had telephone lines put in in my name in properties I didn't own but it is more usual to put the line in the name of the person whose name is on the tabien bahn for houses. Even if in your name, and you turn it off (and pay the Bt107 a month), the dumbos in TOT will turn it back on if they ask for it. I don't think you can ask them to stop all chargeable calls though. A key locked phone is no deterrent.

Is there a way around it ? Sure. Buy a western DECT cordless phone which you can lock with a security code or where you have to put in a prefix to dial out. However, if mama and papa cannot handle that level of mystification, you're just about out of options unless TOT or another can actually block all outgoing calls. With line rental at Bt100 or so a month, where is the incentive for them to do that ?

TOT is definitely up the road 15km as we have it there. All the usual xxxxxcyber packages available. Best cyber is too slow really for Skype video and you'd do better to get better than that. Get as much up speed as you can, the greater problem is with that though best is not enough day by day to stop frozen page video.

I've had telephone lines put in in my name in properties I didn't own but it is more usual to put the line in the name of the person whose name is on the tabien bahn for houses. Even if in your name, and you turn it off (and pay the Bt107 a month), the dumbos in TOT will turn it back on if they ask for it. I don't think you can ask them to stop all chargeable calls though. A key locked phone is no deterrent.

Is there a way around it ? Sure. Buy a western DECT cordless phone which you can lock with a security code or where you have to put in a prefix to dial out. However, if mama and papa cannot handle that level of mystification, you're just about out of options unless TOT or another can actually block all outgoing calls. With line rental at Bt100 or so a month, where is the incentive for them to do that ?

Maybe the best thing is pay as you go mobile access then, I wonder if it will be quick enough or even if you can get it ?

Its such a nuisance especially as Im not there for a while.

ta Bread

I have a couple of mobile access options here in KK. An "i card" (edge) modem accepts SIM cards. For me, DTAC works better than AIS. I recently got a CAT modem and account. They are having a promotion right now .. first three months free. About Bt 6,500 + 790/month.

The CAT connection is much better for me and runs about 1 meg download speed. Much depends on how close you are to a CAT tower. AIS and DTAC clain 400K+, but I usually don't see much over 100K. .. and I figure the number of users makes a difference.

The good thing about the icard, a SIM card can be removed from a mobile and used for internet, then returned to the phone when finished.

Edit: Can't remember how much the icard cost, but believe it was under Bt 2,000.

Edited by klikster

Hello Bread I live in NangRong and have a very good Internet connection 4 MB from TTOT in NangRong for 631 Baht/month

When they installed it in October last year I had to pay for the cable 500M to the nearest box 2600 baht, because I have no telephone line.

In NangRong TOT have all the telephonelines, but TTOT can connect You to Internet without TOT telephoneline.

Hello Bread I live in NangRong and have a very good Internet connection 4 MB from TTOT in NangRong for 631 Baht/month

When they installed it in October last year I had to pay for the cable 500M to the nearest box 2600 baht, because I have no telephone line.

In NangRong TOT have all the telephonelines, but TTOT can connect You to Internet without TOT telephoneline.

Thank you all for your very quick response, I am grateful

Daniel so am I right in saying that I can pay for Internet with no telephone?

Also do you pay for it with a Direct Debit from a Thai bank account?

Thanks Bread

Thank you all for your very quick response, I am grateful

Daniel so am I right in saying that I can pay for Internet with no telephone?

Also do you pay for it with a Direct Debit from a Thai bank account?

Thanks Bread

Bread Yes You can buy a line for broadband separate from TTOT in Nang Rong.

I live 8 km west of the town, near the street to Korat.

TTOT already have the cable along this street, so I payed only for the 500 m connection to this cable. The broadband works great. I never had a problem with it now for a half year. I do speedtest every month and never have under 4 MB.

I can look a 2 hours movie from a satelit channal without problems,

and I look at direkt TV news from every thai TV channel without problems.

I pay my bills in the office in NangRong or in SevenEleven.

Are you sure that what you have is not just a telephone line and that if you plug a phone in mama can start racking up bills phoning the speaking clock in Timbucktoo ?

It is my understanding that whilst not all telephone lines are set up for broadband, all broadband lines have telephone functionality.

Edited by torrenova

Torrenova. In thailand You kan never be 100 % sure of anything.

The first time I visited TTOT they told me that if I want a telefone in my line I have to go to TOT about this.

I told them I dont want telefon in the line. Then they made the line for me.

Thanks again, All

Torrent; that was what I don’t want, the ability for a family member to start calling out to her third aunt twice removed for eight hours with me footing the bill.

A broadband only line would be great (admittedly in the UK any broadband line normally takes a phone) so I shall look into that.

I am over in Thailand soon and I shall have to look at setting up a bank account so I can pay direct debits.

Thanks a lot Bread.

A friend would like land line ADSL, he is a few Km out of the main town where we enjoy a solid 4Mg Maxnet connection. He has been offered a connection IF nine other residents local to him also want a fixed land line, this will never happen as it is too rural - people use mobile phones.

It is unlikely you will get 3G service between now and the time the rest of the world is moving to 4G, there are many Edge and GPRS coverage areas offered by the various providers. Link for DTAC maps.

Another friend is using Skype over a 150-200 kbps Aircard link, not sure of provider probably AIS but it is just about usable for video back to Europe, OK for voice.

If you are looking at a remote PC that they will sit in front of I strongly suggest you spend a lot of time making it Thai proof, with particular attention to USB ports as sharing games via USB sticks and phone SD cards is very common out here.

It would be worth getting to know the local IT fixer in advance and set up a recovery procedure in advance of the phone call telling that, "it broken again".

HTH.

Edited by Cuban