So, What Is Your Final Conclusion About Thailand ?

ManilaLover

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My conclusion while Thailand has allot of great things about it, after nearly 5 years here, I am leaving the end of next week. For me the bad far outweighs the good. And rather than become one of those grumpy complainers, I have decided to move on and leave Thailand to those that enjoy it better than I do.

I won’t miss the fake smiles, the constant attempts to charge me more because I am white (from restraints to hotels to spas to parks to just about anything here), the crazy drivers that are allowed to break all kinds of rules in front of the traffic police without being stopped, the fear of knowing I could be in an accident that was not my fault and spend time in jail (you don’t have to be there, someone can hit your parked car while you are asleep in the house and you could end up in jail). Knowing that 9/10 if there is a problem (tuk-tuk, jet ski, car accident, business dispute) the Thai even if in the wrong will win. So many things that I dislike about this country and they all at a fundamental level come back to blatant racism.

I will miss the real smiles, the weather, the sights, the quality massages, the food, and most of all the few genuine Thai friends I have here.

And for those that are bound to ask: no I did not lose a job, I did not go through a breakup, nor am I in trouble with the law.

My conclusion while Thailand has allot of great things about it, after nearly 5 years here, I am leaving the end of next week. For me the bad far outweighs the good. And rather than become one of those grumpy complainers, I have decided to move on and leave Thailand to those that enjoy it better than I do.

I won’t miss the fake smiles, the constant attempts to charge me more because I am white (from restraints to hotels to spas to parks to just about anything here), the crazy drivers that are allowed to break all kinds of rules in front of the traffic police without being stopped, the fear of knowing I could be in an accident that was not my fault and spend time in jail (you don’t have to be there, someone can hit your parked car while you are asleep in the house and you could end up in jail). Knowing that 9/10 if there is a problem (tuk-tuk, jet ski, car accident, business dispute) the Thai even if in the wrong will win. So many things that I dislike about this country and they all at a fundamental level come back to blatant racism.

I will miss the real smiles, the weather, the sights, the quality massages, the food, and most of all the few genuine Thai friends I have here.

And for those that are bound to ask: no I did not lose a job, I did not go through a breakup, nor am I in trouble with the law.

Sorry the positive has not outweighed the negative with your time here. I really have had no reason to fear most of the things you mention, such as overcharging and problems with the police. I have seen little or none of this where I live. You did not mention the ladies, which I feel is the number one hazard here. A constant vigil is required, usually.

Sorry the positive has not outweighed the negative with your time here. I really have had no reason to fear most of the things you mention, such as overcharging and problems with the police. I have seen little or none of this where I live. You did not mention the ladies, which I feel is the number one hazard here. A constant vigil is required, usually.

I am married with a son, the bar/ladies scene is not my thing, that can lead to allot of other issues, and have seen fellow farangs fall deep into that rabbit hole.

My conclusion while Thailand has allot of great things about it, after nearly 5 years here, I am leaving the end of next week. For me the bad far outweighs the good.

What part of the world do you hail from? ...generally ( US, Europe?)

Good luck to you where ever your headed...

Myphuketlife...........where are you going to live next?..............Ive had a similar experience(s) as you.........Thailand is great if one is vigilant.........needless to say.......can one relax completely under those circumstances............???

Myphuketlife...........where are you going to live next?..............Ive had a similar experience(s) as you.........Thailand is great if one is vigilant.........needless to say.......can one relax completely under those circumstances............???

I am going to Korea (no not an english teacher). As far as being vigilant, you have to be or get walked on like a door matt. I found over time that I could no relax under those circumstances, but others can. I guess it depends on the person and what they are willing to have thrown at them. Ohh well, thailands not for everyone... To bad it took me 5 years to finally decide it was not for me :)

I won't miss the fake smiles, the constant attempts to charge me more because I am white (from restraints to hotels to spas to parks to just about anything here), the crazy drivers that are allowed to break all kinds of rules in front of the traffic police without being stopped, the fear of knowing I could be in an accident that was not my fault and spend time in jail (you don't have to be there, someone can hit your parked car while you are asleep in the house and you could end up in jail). Knowing that 9/10 if there is a problem (tuk-tuk, jet ski, car accident, business dispute) the Thai even if in the wrong will win. So many things that I dislike about this country and they all at a fundamental level come back to blatant racism.

you need to be here 4 the right reasons to enjoy los.

cheap girls :)

I love the food and the relaxed way of life. I like being able to slip a couple of hundred to the traffic police for some minor traffic infringement. I like being able to get motorcycle taxis and normal taxis without taking a mortgage. I like the (normal Thai) massages. I like that it's (fairly) cheap to live. I love the family values.

I miss quality... in almost everything! Hire a Thai to do something and you can guarantee you will regret not doing it yourself! sick of buying crap that falls apart. I hate the way Thais are so wasteful of everything, from water to toys, minimal care is taken to preserve anything.

I miss a cool breeze, I miss decent wine (at reasonable prices), I miss a decent choice of cars to buy, I miss intelligent conversation, I miss humour, I miss decent internet, mobile phone coverage. I miss a garden.

To be honest, I could solve a lot of these things by living on a mountain near Chiang Mai and starting a vinyard and importing teachers, builders, plumbers and carpenters from Europe. Sounds like I should start a cult!

I love the food and the relaxed way of life. I like being able to slip a couple of hundred to the traffic police for some minor traffic infringement. I like being able to get motorcycle taxis and normal taxis without taking a mortgage. I like the (normal Thai) massages. I like that it's (fairly) cheap to live. I love the family values.

I miss quality... in almost everything! Hire a Thai to do something and you can guarantee you will regret not doing it yourself! sick of buying crap that falls apart. I hate the way Thais are so wasteful of everything, from water to toys, minimal care is taken to preserve anything.

I miss a cool breeze, I miss decent wine (at reasonable prices), I miss a decent choice of cars to buy, I miss intelligent conversation, I miss humour, I miss decent internet, mobile phone coverage. I miss a garden.

To be honest, I could solve a lot of these things by living on a mountain near Chiang Mai and starting a vinyard and importing teachers, builders, plumbers and carpenters from Europe. Sounds like I should start a cult!

Agree with everything except that I dislike the family values here that I think are of insane level.

Don't care about phone coverage and my internet is good enough, but lack of quality is a big annoyance here yes.

But most I hate the Chiangmai ringroads and city traffic that, when driving a motorbike inbetween those total dumbos usually makes me feel so negative and frustrated that I wonder if such negativism could cause cancer. However I luckily no need to be in that rotten city too often.

If you hook a Lisu girl you can live in the real moutains for free (the cool-breezed Lisu reserve that is not accessible for normal Thais !!!!) and start a cult that's a good idea yes !

Tell me more about your starting-a-cult ideas plz ?

:)

I won't miss the fake smiles, the constant attempts to charge me more because I am white (from restraints to hotels to spas to parks to just about anything here), the crazy drivers that are allowed to break all kinds of rules in front of the traffic police without being stopped, the fear of knowing I could be in an accident that was not my fault and spend time in jail (you don't have to be there, someone can hit your parked car while you are asleep in the house and you could end up in jail). Knowing that 9/10 if there is a problem (tuk-tuk, jet ski, car accident, business dispute) the Thai even if in the wrong will win. So many things that I dislike about this country and they all at a fundamental level come back to blatant racism.

Good post mate. That is i think exactly the way it is. It has many wrongs but many good points too. Nice to read a balanced viewpoint

Hello!

I am just a newbie,but so fare,I think this is the best I ever have don to my selvf-see and learn new things every day-good wheather,nice people and good food-and it is cheap to-can a man ask fore more?

Brian

Hi Brian

Nice to see some post with such a up-beat view, how long have you been here? Keep on.... keeping on, and where can I get some of that feel good..........Is it herbal?

approaching 6 years for me now. i hate the place. i lived in samui for 18 months and bkk for the rest of the time. i am going through a custody battle atm but that only plays a small part in my opinion of this country, i would of left a few years back, my daughter is the only reason i am still here.

the first 12 months were great though. i rarely drink now and just find the place so boring.

I'll miss: being able to open a bank account and leave with an atm card within 30 minutes. being able to pay someone 500 baht p/m to water the garden. the swimming pool. the torrential downpours. i'll miss jolly boys outings when friends visit. the food. the beach

I won't miss: phoning companies to enquire about services they are advertising only to be told they don't know anything about it. receiving bills after they were meant to be payed. chicken skin and cartilage in my fried rice. being told "no problem" when it quite clearly is a problem. two faced thais and their general bs. the lack of quality in almost everything i have bought in the last 6 years. having to argue about small amounts of money purely because i dislike people ripping me off and treating me like a mug. thais in tescos. shopping trolleys in tesco car park. thais driving cars/motorbikes. racism. thai tv. the complete rip off that is true visions. sh1t internet. ants. going to thais houses just to sit on the floor, watch crap tv, eat and be expected to pay for it all. mosquitos and my daughters mother and her scummy family.

yes i think the bad outweighs the good in my case... :)

Edited by c411um

Im staying here the good still outweigh the bad

I love

- The weather, the food, the attitude, the ocean here, the fact that i can drive my bike here, the massages, the girls that smile. Fishing, diving i love it here.

I hate

Dual pricing, the fact i cant own land, the fact is hard to work here legally, the fact that many times Thai will side with thai (though i had an accident and was in the wrong but still came off real good).

I have loved the place since I arrived in 1989 and the good has always outweighed the bad. Things have kept improving over the years - IMHO - and I don't want to live anywhere else.

szo0279.jpg

Dear Sir,

Could you please explain to me what aspect the glasses play in your post. Is it the fact that you can't see properly or your eyes are blurry :D:D .

Good on you UG, good to see your still enjoying what you are doing......your the kind of person that drives me forward :) (so to speak)