Thai 'Red Shirts' Pledge More Protests After Court Ruling

webfact

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"CAPO on Sunday issued its 6th statement to prohibit protesters from entering the areas, unless permitted by the concerned authority -- Rama IV from Sathorn to Samyan intersection; Sathorn from Rama IV to the intersection with Charoenkrung; Silom from Rama IV to the intersection with Charoenkrung; Surawongse from Rama IV to the intersection with Charoenkrung; Charoenkrung from Surawongse to the intersection with Sathorn; Rajdamri from BTS Rajdamri station to the intersection with Rama IV; Phyathai from Samyan intersection to Rajthevi intersection; Ratchadapisek from the intersection with Sukhumvit to the intersection with Rama IV; Dindaeng from the ntersection with Ratchadapisek to the intersection with Thaveemitr; Thaveemitr; Ratchadapisek from its intersection with Dindaeng to the intersection with Ratchadapisek Soi 8."

Actually the RED have ran out of ideas where to go next. Thansk CAPO & Suthep, now the RED have added 11 spots on their march tomorrow.

Abhisit now has few choices:

Resign and let the parlaiment choose a new leader

Call an election now as demanded by the reds

Beg the reds for new talks

Order the troops in

Let the Democrats pull their people onto the streets

If the generals back Abhisit this is all over tomorrow unless he backs down. If they dont.......

annoying...don't think anymore Bangkokians give a dam_n what the red shirts want, it is inconveniencing everyone, the traffic is completely crippled (i live on sukhumvit). I think through out the last month they've killed traffic in almost every street in Bangkok. Inconveniencing all bangkokians is a bad idea in my opinion.

I have been listening to the actual court ruling (I can understand government legal Thai).

The court basically said that the government already is empowered to manage the situation as it deems fit, in accordance with existing laws. In other words, the government's authority to disperse the demonstrations has been ratified by the court.

For the red shirt's leaders to be representing this as a "victory" is the height of deceit and a hideous betrayal of the trust and faith of their believing followers. They know very well that the majority of their assembled masses are unable to understand even the language of the ruling, let alone the true implications.

For the sake of my wife and children, no matter what may happen, I hope that in the following years their homeland will be a better place to live.

"Thai society is split between the Reds, who accuse Abhisit's government of being elitist and army-backed, and the Yellow Shirts, supporters of the country's establishment who accuse Thaksin of gross corruption."

Is that so ? Very poor reporting...

Doesn't the court rejecting this prove that there isn't a 'third hand' at play pulling all the strings ?

There was no win for the Reds,the Court merely pointed out that the Govenment already has the Authority to

break up the Reds.So there was no need of further Court intervention.

The tide is turning. The police aren't following orders by Abhisit to arrest protesters. The courts are declining as well.

Keep on fighting, Abhisit. For your own good, not for the good of the Thai people.

Do you have evidence that orders to arrest have been issued? Please enlighten us all. Or is another fact known only to you?

Occasionally, just occasionally, some of the forum reds who like to protest their integrity, are found to display nothing of the kind.

If they follow Thaksin, some of the dirt is bound to rub off.

Never mind.

THE NATION: Urgent: Govt vows to stop tomorrow's red march.

Well this sounds like it now. The beginning of the end knocking at the Red door.

They have actually asked for this in a louder and louder voice for weeks on end.

How it is handled is really up to them, but the frenzy their 'leadership' has whipped them into

bodes poorly for their well being.

I expect the utmost restraint and tolerance from the security forces,

simply because this is how they have acted for weeks now.

They now this is control vs image, and the opposition is determined to create a bad image.

Yet this is being pushed by the Reds into violence step by step by step,

to the point they have to REMEMBER that they are 'non-violent, such as at the EC today,

one hand says charge and then the other remembers DON"T CHARGE!!!!! Stop the horses...

Still their actions today went over the edge into building invasion and harassment of officials,

and the last weekend into serious economic damage the country can ill afford to sustain in this climate.

I think Chakri Dynasty Day would be poetic for the government to re-establish control over

some recalcitrant citizens, much as this dynasty must likely have done at it's founding.

Long standing dynasties are not founded on being NICE, but on being powerful, and then benevolent.

Regardless on can hope for as little injury and trouble as possible.

And ongoing consideration of some of the rank and files core aims,

while rejecting the lying and grasping, intransigent craziness of the Red leadership.

Edited by animatic

I have been listening to the actual court ruling (I can understand government legal Thai).

The court basically said that the government already is empowered to manage the situation as it deems fit, in accordance with existing laws. In other words, the government's authority to disperse the demonstrations has been ratified by the court.

For the red shirt's leaders to be representing this as a "victory" is the height of deceit and a hideous betrayal of the trust and faith of their believing followers. They know very well that the majority of their assembled masses are unable to understand even the language of the ruling, let alone the true implications.

For the sake of my wife and children, no matter what may happen, I hope that in the following years their homeland will be a better place to live.

From a politcal stanpoint the courts sent the message clean up your own mess.

True they said you are empowered anbd that means we dont have to get invovled

Edited to add: Just coming out that court found rally illegal

Edited by hammered

Finally! Maybe the first time I have quoted GW Bush in a positive light -- BRING EM ON! Thaksin must be stopped to save Thailand from total destruction, civil war, even a Maoist or Cambodian style red revolution. Most Thais and foreigners understand this now.

Yes there will be pain now. But compared to the pain that would happen if Thaksin isn't successfully resisted, its worth the risk. Think cancer surgery.

Edited by Jingthing

From what is being reported, the court additionally declared the Rajprasong rally to be illegal and subject to criminal charges.

1. Resign and let the parlaiment choose a new leader

2. Call an election now as demanded by the reds

3. Beg the reds for new talks

4. Order the troops in

5. Let the Democrats pull their people onto the streets

If the generals back Abhisit this is all over tomorrow unless he backs down. If they dont.......

Surely, 5 is enough choices ... :)

this is OT here, but as the right topic has been locked i put my opinion in this one.

that title:

Redshirt Protesters Force Immigration Bureau HQ To Close, Redshirts storms into the EC building

the third line says the employees "have been instructed to go home"...

instructed by WHO?

in any case, FORCE and INSTRUCTED are not synonyms, na?!

Well this sounds like it now.

Animatic, was that what the TV broadcast was about (about 10 min's ago). My Thai is not good enough to understand what was being said.

Cheers, Rick

Forget the courts. The thread is not about the courts, but about continuing protests. The Reds are rejoicing as they see Abhisit as being weak. Even some in his own party see him as weak. It is time for Abhisit to put up or shut up. If he puts up, then the question is whether he has the support to shut the Reds down.

Any word of additional troop movements anywhere? The greater the size of the military/police presence the more restrained they can afford to be.

There is no need for additional troops. Right now it is over one soldier with a rifle against one unarmed Red Shirt. There is talk that some of the military won't obey orders to attack Red Shirts (they come from the same areas). Of course, there are special forces that won't question orders. Of these, there are more than enough. The question is whether the generals still back this government. That is what we will find out (assuming Abhisit stops playing politics).

The only people that are talking about "attacking" are the red shirts. They want to attack the EC members now. They wanted to attack the Chula professors for talking out against the red shirts. They wanted to attack the NACC.

The government has said nothing about attacking in the last 3 weeks.

And I think the reds supporters need to get their stories straight on the government and the army. One minute the government are puppets of the army, then you're talking about whether the army will continue to "back" the government. One minute you're saying the army wants the reds to get violent so that the army can attack them with rifles (which the army on the streets hasn't had anyway), and the next you're saying the government (being a puppet of the army) is weak. Make up your minds.

1. Resign and let the parlaiment choose a new leader

2. Call an election now as demanded by the reds

3. Beg the reds for new talks

4. Order the troops in

5. Let the Democrats pull their people onto the streets

Surely, 5 is enough choices ... :)

Mmmm maybe but none that will look that nice to Abhisiit

From what is being reported, the court additionally declared the Rajprasong rally to be illegal and subject to criminal charges.

Yes that is what is being said. TYhe government have a green light to go of they want to go but whatever happens will be on the PM and not the courts. Now over to the government and military.

The alternastive is to give in to the reds but thenm the dems will be wiped in the election even more than a couple of weeks ago because they havent done what their supporters wanted them to do. Interesting

Well this sounds like it now.

Animatic, was that what the TV broadcast was about (about 10 min's ago). My Thai is not good enough to understand what was being said.

Cheers, Rick

My wife is not translating much for me.

TVF is reporting my original line. Their translating is better I suspect.

Rally is now illegal and PM as national leader can take action as he sees fit.

Edited by animatic

I can see the logic now.

The courts have passed the buck back to Habisit.

If they Court were to issue the legal order he could claim it was the courts decision.

Now the decisions back with him should anything go wrong its only his head which will roll.

Not at all.The courts told him that he has the power to smoke them out already with ISA.

If the court had made a decision then they also had to give the reds the right of appeal.This way there is no appeal possible and abhisit is free to do as he like.

Suggestions have been made on this and other threads that the Thai Army may not respond to government orders to clear out protesters because they come from the same areas and share the same views. Those that suggest such have obviously not spent much time in a military organisation whose whole existance relies on training people to do things sane people avoid - going to war, getting shot at, etc

I'm not saying that they wouldn't rebel at a reprehensible and /or illegal order; to shoot at unarmed women and children for example. But for a 19 year-old kid to say "No Way" when a whole series of authority figures are saying "Go" is a pretty big ask. Don't expect it even if they are relying on conscripts.

I can see the logic now.

If they Court were to issue the legal order he could claim it was the courts decision.

Now the decisions back with him should anything go wrong its only his head which will roll.

Not at all.The courts told him that he has the power to smoke them out already with ISA.

If the court had made a decision then they also had to give the reds the right of appeal.This way there is no appeal possible and abhisit is free to do as he like.

Good point. The reds cant tie it up in court.

I can see the logic now.

Ping pong game between Court & Mark.

The court is smart, as they need not take any responsibility anymore. TIT.

Maybe Thai's should begin to understand that Tourism and their status in the world stage is far more important and valuable to the people than which particular group of corrupt politicians are in power at any given time. ANY country's internal politics have little relevance to the rest of the world and, in my opinion, little relevance to ordinary people leading ordinary lives. If only the "silent majority" could have their voices heard.

I love Thailand but despair for its future if this farce continues - in the short term the tourists will go elsewhere and this wil lead to hotels and other services closing meaning that when the struggle is over everything will need rebuilding to attract the tourists back again and that will mean less money to benefit the poor. If these people are really interested in politics then they should get themselves elected and slowly change the system from within

I didnt agree with the military coup in the first place because it was obvious that the man had popularity and would become a kind of martyr - the reality is that most of this kind of politician lose the peoples favour eventually and that is the time to get them out of office (or like Tony Blair they resign before the trouble starts!) No change for the better ever happens overnight.

The reds (unfortunately they sound like communists by their colour!) should accept the offer of elections in 9 months time and then campaign hard to get their people elected - going to an election now would mean they were unprepared and just having alienated so many citizens might stand less chance of winning an election.

Abhisit seems a fair man and one that they could negotiate with if they gave a little - carry on like they are and they will be directly fighting the generals in a few weeks/months time and against the army and more ruthless people they will not stand a chance.

Edited by gbswales

Suggestions have been made on this and other threads that the Thai Army may not respond to government orders to clear out protesters because they come from the same areas and share the same views. Those that suggest such have obviously not spent much time in a military organisation whose whole existance relies on training people to do things sane people avoid - going to war, getting shot at, etc

I'm not saying that they wouldn't rebel at a reprehensible and /or illegal order; to shoot at unarmed women and children for example. But for a 19 year-old kid to say "No Way" when a whole series of authority figures are saying "Go" is a pretty big ask. Don't expect it even if they are relying on conscripts.

It is unlikely the military will use conscripts. They wont actually even need very many to end this and they will use professional career troops if they choose to end it. The question is will the generals choose to end it.