Thai Authorities To Arrest Red Shirts Protesters

webfact

Not being funny, but some people here don't quite get that with freedom and rights comes responsibility. You have the right to free speech but the responsibility to use it wisely. If someone is using it irresponsibly to create social disorder then it is up to law enforcement to ensure that they cease this activity. Simple.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being funny, but some people here don't quite get that with freedom and rights comes responsibility. You have the right to free speech but the responsibility to use it wisely. If someone is using it irresponsibly to create social disorder then it is up to law enforcement to ensure that they cease this activity. Simple.

Who decides social order?

Roamer...not quite indefinitely.... the SOE law allows folks to be held one week at time, renewable, up to a month without formal charges... At least, that's what the regs say... How they'd be implemented....if there really were arrests, who knows....

There are, I'd presume, two main ways to go after an online video broadcasting service you don't like...

One is to go after the broadcasters themselves, by cutting off their camera feed or uplink capabilities, however those are being handled... That might involve wading into a big crowd of unfriendly Red shirt folks...

The other, which the government also controls, is to use their in-country control over the Internet to block domestic access to certain sites, which they'd have to block on an address by address basis.... That however, doesn't necessarily cut the access to viewers outside Thailand...

But I'd assume that latter detail isn't at the top of the government's priority list at the moment....

In most cases the government of the day. Given that the likes of PTV are broadcasting a non-stop stream from a protest where a hel_l of a lot of unpleasant things are being threatened etc I think they have that right. Let me put it this way, would you be happy if the government did nothing about a TV channel broadcasting a veiled threat stating your home address and phone number and denying responsibilty should something happen? I'm sure the chairman of the Electoral Commission objects. Do you feel happy with people who encourage others to bring bottles and fill them with petrol to burn bangkok being allowed to continue? Free speech is fine, hate speech, threats, intimidation, incitement to violence, these are separate issues, and if you can't see that this is a problem then I suggest you remove the blinkers. If you are unable to do that, might I suggest you do humanity a favour and remove yourself from the gene pool.

Oh Winnie, What planet are you on? In most, if not all civilised countries and definitely in totalitarian regimes, a permit or license is required to transmit anything! Music or bedtime stories for children or channels that spew forth insurrection are usually treated no differently. If you don't follow the rules they pull the plug. Simple!

As an example look back to the radio wars in the English Channel or La Manche. They were taken off the air and they were only playing pop music!

You're wrong there -- the pirate radio stations on ships in the Channel weren't taken off the air by any government because they didn't come under the jurisdiction of any government. They were forced to stop by a British law that made supplying the ships with food, fuel, whatever, illegal.

The UDD could try pirate stations in the Gulf of Thailand.....................

The final authority rests with the judicial system. If anyone feels a law has been applied unfairly they have a right to appeal after complying with the authorities. However, it is highly unlikely in this case their appeal will be successful. When someone encourages others to perform illegal activities during a state of emergency, it is fairly obvious they are in violation.

Of course it should all stop. But who is going to make it stop? The previous protests SHOULD have been stopped also. Mob rule appears to have been accepted.

Who is going to prosecute ALL the wrongdoers (and bear in mind the list is long and goes back beyond the current protests)? And of course, the small matter of keeping the coup makers away from it all.

There is every chance that the cases of the PAD's actions could be finished well beyond even this or the next government's lifetime, if Abhisit resigns tomorrow and the next governments life is as short as this or previous.

And when it is all put to bed then what?

If all the cases are brought and judged in the next week, the underlying problem (as far as some people are concerned) is that the UDD/TRT/PPP grouping may prevail at the next election, be it in 3 months or 9 or 18.

Abhisit has a lot on his plate right now, and I am sure he doesn't want to live the rest of his life in Thailand with the stigma of blood on his hands.

I don't see anyway out for Abhisit than to announce elections in 9 months.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Love this one:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/...y-30126731.html

We are now 'foreigners' ... not 'farang' anymore. That might be a 'positive' !

I guess there is an amount of 'pressure' on the "white crinkly population" to maintain the flow of 'comfort' from their LBFM's

(Sorry, I love my single and double quotes !)

Actually, under the SofE, I believe, there is no right of appeal for govt actions taken using that law as the pretext... The terms of the SofE specifically leave out court challenges, from what I've read on the subject.

The final authority rests with the judicial system. If anyone feels a law has been applied unfairly they have a right to appeal after complying with the authorities. However, it is highly unlikely in this case their appeal will be successful. When someone encourages others to perform illegal activities during a state of emergency, it is fairly obvious they are in violation.

I think govt is equally to blame by using the media for its own benefits, so in essence they also should be looked at for instigating the situation.

Irrelevant. The state of emergency requires everyone to cease and desist their protesting. The current government stations are not encouraging people to break that law. The red shirt stations are. Therefore, only the red shirt stations are in violation.

What happened before when the state of emergency was not in force is immaterial. Neither was shut down at that time.

I thought the more interesting (and more worrying) bit in Abhisit's address was that he actually defended silencing TV and radio stations that don't agree with his world view. You can't call your self the 'Democrat' party and then silence and censor people who disagree with you. It's sad that it seems he will have to learn this the hard way. :)

Disagree and instigate unrest by diffusing wrong information is a slight difference. It was time to shut them down. I hope he will be able to shut down much more of these big mouthes with little or no brain.

The reds come to a talk with Abhisit, he gives them half way by proposing them to dissolve parliment within this year, but the only thing these idiots can say is NO. They don't have a minimum of knowledge of the basic rules of negotiations. Unbelievable that individuals like that are in parliment. They should be thrown out.

Love this one:

I guess there is an amount of 'pressure' on the "white crinkly population" to maintain the flow of 'comfort' from their LBFM's

Patently the Nation is finally realising after however how many years whom actually is its readers.

For those who aren't sure, I would presume it is predominantly FOREIGNERS. Maybe if we throw them a bone they can start a campaign against dual pricing as a start.

Just <deleted> great.... Just the kind of publicity us folks need to help warm our relations with the current government.... :)

But wait... I feel a slogan coming on here..... How about:

"No Red, No Bed.."

or perhaps...."No Red, No Head...." :D

But seriously, when one's Thai wife is on a serious mission, what's a farang husband to do??? I can see some of the more weak kneed guys getting pulled along... But geez... going up on stage????

Love this one:

Of course it should all stop. But who is going to make it stop? The previous protests SHOULD have been stopped also. Mob rule appears to have been accepted.

Who is going to prosecute ALL the wrongdoers (and bear in mind the list is long and goes back beyond the current protests)? And of course, the small matter of keeping the coup makers away from it all.

There is every chance that the cases of the PAD's actions could be finished well beyond even this or the next government's lifetime, if Abhisit resigns tomorrow and the next governments life is as short as this or previous.

If all the cases are brought and judged in the next week, the underlying problem (as far as some people are concerned) is that the UDD/TRT/PPP grouping may prevail at the next election, be it in 3 months or 9 or 18.

Abhisit has a lot on his plate right now, and I am sure he doesn't want to live the rest of his life in Thailand with the stigma of blood on his hands.

Elections in 9 months is what he offered them, but the red buff....s only say NO. They want the house dissolution NOW because they believe that they will win the next election. Wouldn't be so sure about that. If all yellows vote for yellow or democrat and all non-colors for democrat, then the reds will poorely loose. Because if there is a coalition needed, the only possible coalition will be yellow-democrat, neither of both will ever go with the reds. The second funny thing is, that the reds now forget that if the house is dissolved now, the next election will be held under the current constitution, vote buying and your entire party is sacked again. Same story as last time. That is what Abhisit offers them to clear first, so the rules will be acceptable for everybody, but if the reds understood that they wouldnt be on the street.

Just <deleted> great.... Just the kind of publicity us folks need to help warm our relations with the current government.... :)

But wait... I feel a slogan coming on here..... How about:

"No Red, No Bed.."

or perhaps...."No Red, No Head...." :D

But seriously, when one's Thai wife is on a serious mission, what's a farang husband to do??? I can see some of the more weak kneed guys getting pulled along... But geez... going up on stage????

Love this one:

For some reasons a lot of people think that all farangs are intelligent and knowledgeable. At least now we now that this is not the case.

Elections in 9 months is what he offered them, but the red buff....s only say NO. They want the house dissolution NOW because they believe that they will win the next election. Wouldn't be so sure about that. If all yellows vote for yellow or democrat and all non-colors for democrat, then the reds will poorely loose. Because if there is a coalition needed, the only possible coalition will be yellow-democrat, neither of both will ever go with the reds. The second funny thing is, that the reds now forget that if the house is dissolved now, the next election will be held under the current constitution, vote buying and your entire party is sacked again. Same story as last time. That is what Abhisit offers them to clear first, so the rules will be acceptable for everybody, but if the reds understood that they wouldnt be on the street.

Well Veera did ask him if they could meet somewhere in the middle and he said No.

They've all, no doubt, got weak knees ... and probably plastic hips ("girls on top").

Perhaps they were paid by Taki (I remember seeing farang ... sorry, foreigners, taking money last Songkran to wave a flag and be photographed).

I just found it amusing that they were referred to as 'foreigners' in that particular article.

Closing the TV station, arresting the leaders and holding them, incommunicado no doubt, under some kind of indefinite revolving detention. That's going to solve the situation ?

Eventually yes, because if nobody pulls the buffalo at his nose it will simply stand still.

spr&q: You're wrong there -- the pirate radio stations on ships in the Channel weren't taken off the air by any government because they didn't come under the jurisdiction of any government. They were forced to stop by a British law that made supplying the ships with food, fuel, whatever, illegal.

The audience in the United Kingdom originally listened to their radio sets by permission of a Wireless License issued by the British General Post Office (GPO). However, under terms of that Wireless Licence, it was an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act to listen to unauthorised broadcasts, which included those transmitted by Radio Luxembourg. Therefore, as far as the British authorities were concerned, Radio Luxembourg was a "pirate radio station" and listeners to the station were breaking the law. This also applied to Radio Caroline North aboard the M.V. Caroline and Caroline South aboard M.V. Mi Amigo one of which was out-with UK territorial waters. British Postmaster General, Anthony Wedgwood Benn, introduced a law that rendered the existing arrangement illegal. The Ships moved into Dutch Jurisdiction and continued (For a while). The Marine Broadcasting Offences Act and a change in Dutch law put paid to what was then Illegal broadcasting. Now the service runs under a Restricted Service License. That license can be removed and the stations taken off the air, especially if they were to spout the stuff we are hearing here today!

This is politics. Do you suppose that the only meetings going on are the one's we know of. Abhisit cannot go quicker than 9 months because the army won't wear it. Right now, he is staring it in the barrel and hoping that they all go home for Songkran. Hmmm. You want to bet on that?

If he came out tomorrow and said, you are perfectly welcome to sit in the sun for the next 7 months, but I pledge to hold an election in 9, he might survive. He will never get the reds to agree to more.

For the Dems to gain enough seats on their own would be a massive swing that probably hasn't been seen in Thai political history, and Thailand didn't turn on it's head in a couple of years. He can't even go up country for a drive let alone campaign. The little parties are the kingmakers, and would you trust that a few won't jump ship for a blank cheque in Switzerland. Forgive me if I am wrong but PPP only lacks 7 seats to be in power. Do the maths.

PPP doesn't need to buy the votes, they have those already. All they have to do is turn those MP's that jumped away back to them. Now we know that they are a principled bunch so, if they won't jump, if we suppose that the poor are so dumb that they will believe everything, Abhisit just pledged 2bn USD to forgive 50% of the vast majority of the farmers' debts. What you say I make it 4bn and forgive it all? In the grand scheme of things it is chump change. I can sell the remaining bits of Thai Airways and TTM, the trains and EGAT and probably raise the funds from the state assets.

Now you want to risk waiting longer?

Well Veera did ask him if they could meet somewhere in the middle and he said No.

Give me a quote on that!

spr&q: You're wrong there -- the pirate radio stations on ships in the Channel weren't taken off the air by any government because they didn't come under the jurisdiction of any government. They were forced to stop by a British law that made supplying the ships with food, fuel, whatever, illegal.

The audience in the United Kingdom originally listened to their radio sets by permission of a Wireless License issued by the British General Post Office (GPO). However, under terms of that Wireless Licence, it was an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act to listen to unauthorised broadcasts, which included those transmitted by Radio Luxembourg. Therefore, as far as the British authorities were concerned, Radio Luxembourg was a "pirate radio station" and listeners to the station were breaking the law. This also applied to Radio Caroline North aboard the M.V. Caroline and Caroline South aboard M.V. Mi Amigo one of which was out-with UK territorial waters. British Postmaster General, Anthony Wedgwood Benn, introduced a law that rendered the existing arrangement illegal. The Ships moved into Dutch Jurisdiction and continued (For a while). The Marine Broadcasting Offences Act and a change in Dutch law put paid to what was then Illegal broadcasting. Now the service runs under a Restricted Service License. That license can be removed and the stations taken off the air, especially if they were to spout the stuff we are hearing here today!

Broadcasting licenses were more to do with interfering with emergency service and aircraft radios than anything else.

These days with Satellite and Digital Tv offering 1000's channels such licenses are no longer required.

Well, I use a proxy to bypass the government censorship here. So I didn't notice it. :)

What was the jail term for doing that again, according to the internet law?

Ah, yes, and the internet providers had to keep records for the past 3 or 6 months so they can check all activity in case they're looking for anyone...

Smart to post it, wiseman. Why not add your home address?

And the point is ..........???????

What exactly ?

( I know it's not legal but when there is massive censorship how else, other than via proxy, are you supposed to get info ???)

The bigger question is why do the powers that be deem it necessary to make access to the internet illegal ???

Of what are they afraid ???

ph