Mobile Phone Id

pschef

Hi

I just wondered if anyone heard any news about the proposal to require registration of existing mobile phone users, farrangs that is.

I know new users are being asked for Passport or ID.

I believe the registration process neeeds to be finalised. But I was told that forms (when issued) would be available at Thai embassies worldwide amd you can register your number there.

The system will probably fall apart as it was initially mooted as a way of stopping telephone activated bombs. But giving terrorists 6 months advance warning kind of ruined the whole principle (and boosted 1 to 2 call sales).

I believe the registration process neeeds to be finalised. But I was told that forms (when issued) would be available at Thai embassies worldwide amd you can register your number there.

The system will probably fall apart as it was initially mooted as a way of stopping telephone activated bombs. But giving terrorists 6 months advance warning kind of ruined the whole principle (and boosted 1 to 2 call sales).

There is no Thai embassy in BKK, do I have to go to Penang to register my mobile???

Actually, Penang is a consulate, probably have to go to KL.

:o:D:D

Edited by Crossy

Another stupid idea that probably will die in month or two. How long it gonna take Thais with their "excellent logistics" to check what numbers are registered and what are not? Few years? Blaming phones for bombing, how about ppl that make those phones explode? Probably it is some business reason for this noncense...i think I know who gonna benefit, dont you?

Edited by Doi Thong

I was told that you could register your "sim" card in any handphone shop (preferably at the one where you bought your "sim" in the first instance). However, this could be BS as I haven't personally checked.

I believe that as I have an AIS account, my "sim" is already registered, but I will need to confirm this, I guess.

I was told that you could register your "sim" card in any handphone shop (preferably at the one where you bought your "sim" in the first instance). However, this could be BS as I haven't personally checked.

I believe that as I have an AIS account, my "sim" is already registered, but I will need to confirm this, I guess.

My wife was told to go to the police to register the sim by the cellphone shop. They are registering the handsets they sell at the shop.

My wife was told to go to the police to register the sim by the cellphone shop. They are registering the handsets they sell at the shop.

Did she go to the police??

Did she successfully register her SIM??

Last week my 1-2-Call Sim died (rejected network), I went to WTC at Pratunam, gave it to AIS shop, passport - 20mins and all over. New Sim, no headache at all. they copied some data from old card onto new one.

GPRS now doesn't work at all.

I registered mine at Tesco Lotus Pattaya at the AIS shop. My girlfriend uses D-tac so she has to go to a D-tac shop. She couldn't register her's at the AIS shop. It has to be a shop who sells service for the service that you have. The form is simple but it is written in Thai only. Name, phone number, passport or ID number and a number off the SIM card itself. I do think this will be enforced and they will follow through on it. All numbers not registered will be deactivated after the deadline.

The whole scheme smells like a US inspired operation. It does no good to easedrop if you have no idea who the phone belongs to. If you want to use the card to trigger a bomb it will be easy to steal a phone. BIG BROTHER!

If someone stole a phone, how would they know what number to dial to set off the bomb?

I read on TV that you will need a Work Permit to register the sim card. Otherwise will have to find a willing Thai to register it for you.

BTW this post does not belong in the general section.

spelling edit

Edited by Pandit

Do you get any sort of receipt for the registration?

I can see zillions of SIMS erroneously deactivated when, and if, the time comes and lots of pissed off customers angry at their sudden inability to communicate.

In any event, it is bound to be both amusing for us all and frustrating for many.

If someone stole a phone, how would they know what number to dial to set off the bomb?

I read on TV that you will need a Work Permit to register the sim card. Otherwise will have to find a willing Thai to register it for you.

BTW this post does not belong in the general section.

spelling edit

How would they know the number??? Dial any other phone and the number comes up on the screen. :D

The only thng they wanted off my passport was the passport number and my name. I DIDN'T get any receipt. :o

You can buy the Orange Sim pack from the Orange shop and they don't ask for your passport.

Thats very starnge, my friend LAo Lady purchased an Orange yesterday in Udon, she was asked for her Id as they tought she wasa Thai. When she explained I am from Lao, she had to register using her Passport or Lao ID card, sorry I put this interesting subject in the wrong section. Mye Pen Rai :o

Yesterday I went to a mobile shop to register my 1-2-call number. I'd read that you could do it at any shop selling mobbies. Nope! I was told to go to the AIS branch in Future Park Rangsit.

In AIS Rangsit I explained to the receptionist that I wanted to register my number.

"1-2 Call Chai Mai Kha" says she.

"Chai Khap" says I.

She gave me a small form to fill in. I filled it out with what she ask me for...which was my name and tel number.

She then copied down a number onto the form from a swipe card. Then she gave me the swipe card.

"Set Laew Lur" says I

"Set Laew Kha" says she.

Took a while for me to realise that she never asked for any ID nor asked me for any address of where I'm living or presently staying.

:o:D

Last week my 1-2-Call Sim died (rejected network), I went to WTC at Pratunam, gave it to AIS shop, passport - 20mins and all over. New Sim, no headache at all. they copied some data from old card onto new one.

GPRS now doesn't work at all.

GPRS - some handset is not yet set up so you better let the service center set it up for you. but for aother brand it was set up already like samsung brand. :o