Tourist Visa To The Uk

Hello all,

I wondered if somebody could tell me when would be the best time to apply for a tourist visa for my TGF would be and, if possible, how best satisfy the application process first time around.

I'll provide you with the neccessary background information as best I can.

My younger brother is getting married in April 2011 in England and I would very much like, as would my family, my GF to join in this special occassion. My first question is when should I apply for a tourist visa for her visit considering the actual event is still 12 months away?

My second question was regards to the requirments that Thai people must satisfy the embassy in order to acquire a tourist visa. She, my GF, is 26 years of age she has a regular paying job and graduated from University. She owns land and property in Issan - the family home - and also has her name in the blue book at the house we both live at in Chiang Mai which is owned by the company she is apart of - director. She has never travelled before outside of her country, unless you count Burma on a visa extension trip and our relationship is 16 months strong. She doesn't have a passport; yet.

My mother will be the sponser inviting her to stay at her house and has agreed to provide bank statements. Reason for this is, I am a student and spend 6mths in Thailand and 6mths back in the Uk so there is no regular payment going in my bank and no fixed abode for more than 6mths. This might be a problem, I dont know, hence me asking my mother to be the sponser.

I do try and keep on top of things with much that I have read on this site with regards to others attempts to secure a toursit visa, some successfully, some not. However, every case is different somehow so i'm asking kindly if you wouldn't mind giving some input into my request for advice?

Regards

Bookem' :):D

A visit visa is valid for six months and that period starts on the day it is issued. The start date can be post dated for up to 3 months, but the applicant must request this when submitting the application. If the start date is post dated, bear in mind that the visa cannot be used until the start date.

Most non settlement applications are processed within 10 working days, although at busy times this can be longer. February March does seem to be a busy time; possibly due to a large number of student applications being received at that time. See Guide to Processing Times.

So, you need to decide when to apply, bearing in mind when she wants to travel and how long she wants to stay in the UK for.

As you are the person in a relationship with her, you will be the sponsor; your mother will be the person providing financial support and accommodation; usually the same person but, as in your case, not always.

You should write a sponsor's letter outlining the history of your relationship, your circumstances in Thailand and why she is visiting at this time.

Your mother should write a letter explaining why she is offering to finance the visit and provide evidence in the form of her last 6 months bank statements and pay slips if she works or other proof of income if she doesn't to show that she can afford to do so. She should include in her letter an invitation for you both to stay with her and briefly describe the property and who else lives there to show that there is room for you. If she owns the property than some proof of this is useful, such as a mortgage statement or copy of the deeds. If she rents then she should get a letter from her landlord confirming that you both can stay there and that there is room for you.

Your girlfriends reason to return will probably not be a problem; she is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit the UK. However, you should provide evidence of her ties to Thailand, such as proof of property ownership and any other assets. She should also get a letter from her employer confirming that she works for them and that her job will be kept open for her return.

BTW, these are not just requirements that Thais have to satisfy, they apply to all non EEA nationals.

You may find the following helpful:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Supporting document checklist

Edit: That one is for a general visitor; if you can show that you are legally resident in Thailand then this is the correct checklist. However, as you say you spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the UK I'm not sure if the embassy would treat you as a Thai resident. Better to give them too much rather than too little, I always think.

For where and how to apply; UK visa application centre.

It is good that you are thinking ahead, but remember that all documents supporting an application must be as up to date as possible. For example, a letter from her employer dated now will be of no use next year, neither will bank statements dated now.

Edited by 7by7

A visit visa is valid for six months and that period starts on the day it is issued. The start date can be post dated for up to 3 months, but the applicant must request this when submitting the application. If the start date is post dated, bear in mind that the visa cannot be used until the start date.

Most non settlement applications are processed within 10 working days, although at busy times this can be longer. February March does seem to be a busy time; possibly due to a large number of student applications being received at that time. See Guide to Processing Times.

So, you need to decide when to apply, bearing in mind when she wants to travel and how long she wants to stay in the UK for.

As you are the person in a relationship with her, you will be the sponsor; your mother will be the person providing financial support and accommodation; usually the same person but, as in your case, not always.

You should write a sponsor's letter outlining the history of your relationship, your circumstances in Thailand and why she is visiting at this time.

Your mother should write a letter explaining why she is offering to finance the visit and provide evidence in the form of her last 6 months bank statements and pay slips if she works or other proof of income if she doesn't to show that she can afford to do so. She should include in her letter an invitation for you both to stay with her and briefly describe the property and who else lives there to show that there is room for you. If she owns the property than some proof of this is useful, such as a mortgage statement or copy of the deeds. If she rents then she should get a letter from her landlord confirming that you both can stay there and that there is room for you.

Your girlfriends reason to return will probably not be a problem; she is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit the UK. However, you should provide evidence of her ties to Thailand, such as proof of property ownership and any other assets. She should also get a letter from her employer confirming that she works for them and that her job will be kept open for her return.

BTW, these are not just requirements that Thais have to satisfy, they apply to all non EEA nationals.

You may find the following helpful:-

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Supporting document checklist

Edit: That one is for a general visitor; if you can show that you are legally resident in Thailand then this is the correct checklist. However, as you say you spend 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the UK I'm not sure if the embassy would treat you as a Thai resident. Better to give them too much rather than too little, I always think.

For where and how to apply; UK visa application centre.

It is good that you are thinking ahead, but remember that all documents supporting an application must be as up to date as possible. For example, a letter from her employer dated now will be of no use next year, neither will bank statements dated now.

7by7, Thank you for your informative reply

regards

bookem'

Just to let you know. the first time I applied for my partners visa 5 months before the visit and the embassy approved the application but would not physically put the visa into the passport until 3 months before the visit.

Bookemdano

Consider taking your GF on a quick trip to Singapore, Malaysia or Bali. The ECOs at the Embassy like to see some history of previous travel outside of Thailand. No visa required for her to visit these countries.

No point in applying too soon - 3 months prior to intended visit date is soon enough.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

So the 6 months bank statement thing is important I guess??

What if I only get electronic statements that only go back 3 months? What if I don't have money in those accounts since I mainly deal with cash?? I have not had a paper postal statement in years since I left the UK....do banks really still send out postal statements?!!