Thai Election Commission Calls For Dissolution Of Democrat Party

webfact

Are Reds going to leave now?

If the Reds leave, this is definitely a victory for the Dems. They can drag out a ruling, go back on it, prepare for next election, etc.

The Reds were demanding an immediate house dissolution and it looked like the Thai gov would have had no choice... as how else could the Reds be removed?.. Now Reds will go home without even a guarantee of the Dems dissolution?

If I had to guess, I reckon they will want more than this in order to go home. How can there be a guarantee?

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember that the PAD leadership also had arrest warrents on their heads and they did exactly the same thing during the protests.

Actually the PAD members DID show up in court, were released on bail and are awaiting the slow wheels of the thai justice system to grind forward enough for their cases to be heard. Or did you miss all that. ...

Sadly the thais I've talked with (which I do every day) seem to exhibit far less savvy in recent political history than most (please note the use of the word MOST) posters here on T/V. I find that in and of itself totally pathetic. :)

They spout party line rhetoric, no matter if they're red, yellow sky blue-pink, zebra striped or the ever popular dark blue aka; "friends of Newin".

If the charges are true, then Abhisit benefited from the illegal acts and as such he has to resign.

Where or where have all the hypocrites gone? it wasn't too long ago that the anti red shirt groups were insisting that the various PMs on the opposing side hd to go for far worse crimes, like Samak's cooking show (fiend that he was - cooking on national TV, the horror).

How will TV's bully brigade spin tis to excuse the Dems and of course find a way to blame it on Thaksin. The Dems played hardball and got the hit right back at the pitcher's nuts. This is going to be painful to watch.

I am an Abhisit supporter, in general. If the OAG and then the CC rule that the Dems should be resolved, then that is what should happen. None of us has all the facts in the case. If there was corruption involved and Abhisit is banned for 5 years then that too is fully acceptable. The law is the law and it should be applied evenly and fairly.

The timing is interesting to say the least. I don't pretend to know what is going on with the EC. My position has consistently been anti-red/anti-Thaksin rather than portraying the democrats or Abhisit as perfect saints. If they indeed violated the laws of Thailand, justice should be served. No complaints from the reds about double standards on this, now are there? What about the arrest warrants for the red leaders? Shouldn't they turn themselves in? The reds are OK with the law when it serves them, but when it doesn't, they feel immune to it. Now that is a double standard, eh?

A side note, whatever political system Thailand has somehow doesn't seem to working.

See this as the establishment releasing the pressure valve. It is a repeat of PPP/PAD. If you take a step back you could even analyse it as such: there are the functionaries eg poltical parties and while some may be favoured over others by the establishment at the end of the day they are functionaries to be sacrificed. The esatablishment is to be protected. Remember right now there is basically no law and oreder in the capital and there is an armed group around plus a bunchg a of demonstrators and another bunch of potential demonstrators and the government have been given up on by all. Equals power vacuum and power vacuumsd are both an opportunity for a player and a very dangerous thing especially for mere mortals

It seems so that there is much more to this than appears on the surface.

If one were to accept the red analysis (at least as articulated by some in the leadership) there is an 'establishment' in this country that 'takes care' of the society- and which is content to permit elected governments to operate -until its own priviledge and/or security is threatened (and both require a reasonably functional society) -

The irony (among several) is that the red leadership actually views this as 'justice'- when in fact, it MAY be merely one more instance of a cunning application of 'law' in the interest, not of 'justice'- but expedience.

Thai at Heart: If Samak could be taken down for a cooking show (and a $15 fee for it) being classed as corruption, the Dems have absolutely no chance unless the Courts have abandoned any semblance of normalcy and justice. And you are actually supporting another coup? And still consider yourself to be democratic?

Samak was disqualified not taken down. He could have returned to the position of PM the very next day. He didn't as Thaksin preferred his brother in law Somchai to take over the PM role.

I seem to remember that the PAD leadership also had arrest warrents on their heads and they did exactly the same thing during the protests.

Actually the PAD members DID show up in court, were released on bail and are awaiting the slow wheels of the thai justice system to grind forward enough for their cases to be heard. Or did you miss all that. ...

Oh and BTW the word is warrants, NOT 'warrents' <sic> it's called arrest warrants. .. Know what sa-pell check is?

Sadly the thais I've talked with (which I do every day) seem to exhibit far less savvy in recent political history than most (please note the use of the word MOST) posters here on T/V. I find that in and of itself totally pathetic. :)

They spout party line rhetoric, no matter if they're red, yellow sky blue-pink, zebra striped or the ever popular dark blue aka; "friends of Newin".

Frankly, it would be almost a full time job to follow the dramas and ins and outs of Thai politics (and remember the specific details of some dance that happened two years ago, etc.). Easier to either ignore it or listen to your side's propaganda. This kind of ignorance and complexity is the kind of situation that even makes it possible for someone with Thaksin's background to have a hope of making a comeback. Imagine someone like Thaksin who has fled a sentence still being a major player in politics in a western country. Never happen.

Edited by Jingthing

Oh and BTW the word is warrants, NOT 'warrents' <sic> it's called arrest warrants. .. Know what sa-pell check is?

Thanks for the spelling lesson, I fail to see why it was needed though, it certainly wasn't needed to get your point across.

[quote name='way2muchcoffee' post='3500671' date='2010-04-12 21:40:29' None of us has all the facts in the case.

Probably none of us will EVER have all the facts in this case- not even those few that pertain directly to--- 'this case'.

Edited by blaze

BOOM

I guess a few people in the privy council are going to pucker up when they see this one.

I think quite a few people are going to have a lot of sleepless nights over this. Political experts out there, does banning the executive have any effect on their majority? Of course, problem is, what did all the money go into funding? Dozens of MP's campaigns I guess.

Now as ridiculous as it sounds, irrespective of what the constitution under the PTP before, don't you think that this should spark a general election?

It won't definitely spark an election.

It is quite possible for the reds to get majority and form government themselves.

Of course they wouldn't do that, seeing they are so against that sort of thing happening.

Interesting turn of events. And it has some poetic balance to it.

Cuts that double standard talk off at the past.

Of course it is only one round of 3 and nothing set in stone yet.

I wouldn't worry about the Privy Council sleeping well...

They know what this is all about.

Now comes the time to reform parties and we'll see which way the rank and file gravitate.

There must be both growling stomachs and flutters going on in several fringe parties leaderships right now..

pass the Maalox please.

I still smell the stink of a opposition set up in this Poline case, but most politics stinks here...

It will be ashame to lose Korn, the country REALLY needs him in his chair.

No one else seems to have the clarity for the job besides Devajkula,

and he may be smart enough to NOT take it if offered this round.

Well flame on campers.

I was told I am an expletive here this evening... tough.

New elections ASAP seems like the next logical step. That, civil anarchy or Burma II .

Burma II was the situation since Oct 2006 until yesterday.

Then the Junta realized their troops were unable to keep oppressing the people, and democracy is back on its way :)

If the charges are true, then Abhisit benefited from the illegal acts and as such he has to resign.

Where or where have all the hypocrites gone? it wasn't too long ago that the anti red shirt groups were insisting that the various PMs on the opposing side hd to go for far worse crimes, like Samak's cooking show (fiend that he was - cooking on national TV, the horror).

How will TV's bully brigade spin tis to excuse the Dems and of course find a way to blame it on Thaksin. The Dems played hardball and got the hit right back at the pitcher's nuts. This is going to be painful to watch.

I am an Abhisit supporter, in general. If the OAG and then the CC rule that the Dems should be resolved, then that is what should happen. None of us has all the facts in the case. If there was corruption involved and Abhisit is banned for 5 years then that too is fully acceptable. The law is the law and it should be applied evenly and fairly.

Yes the rule of the law should be applied to all. The reds don't really believe that though or they wouldn't cling to Thaksin and now their leaders evading arrest.

I guess a few people in the privy council are going to pucker up when they see this one.
I guess not.

The EC does only what the Privy Council instructs her to do.

This ruling means the Privy Council has dumped Abhisit.

The question now is if they will try to face the protestors appointing another puppet PM , or if they are so shit scared to call back Thaksin as he is the only one who can send the Reds back to their homes.

Thaksin is the only one who can send the reds home ? Thats not even in their demand .

I think you oversimplify .

Thing is if the army step aside the room for antidemocrats is pretty restricted .

Anupong said it quite clearly , dissolving the house , meaning elections soon .

The timing is interesting to say the least. I don't pretend to know what is going on with the EC. My position has consistently been anti-red/anti-Thaksin rather than portraying the democrats or Abhisit as perfect saints. If they indeed violated the laws of Thailand, justice should be served. No complaints from the reds about double standards on this, now are there? What about the arrest warrants for the red leaders? Shouldn't they turn themselves in? The reds are OK with the law when it serves them, but when it doesn't, they feel immune to it. Now that is a double standard, eh?

A side note, whatever political system Thailand has somehow doesn't seem to working.

See this as the establishment releasing the pressure valve. It is a repeat of PPP/PAD. If you take a step back you could even analyse it as such: there are the functionaries eg poltical parties and while some may be favoured over others by the establishment at the end of the day they are functionaries to be sacrificed. The esatablishment is to be protected. Remember right now there is basically no law and oreder in the capital and there is an armed group around plus a bunchg a of demonstrators and another bunch of potential demonstrators and the government have been given up on by all. Equals power vacuum and power vacuumsd are both an opportunity for a player and a very dangerous thing especially for mere mortals

It seems so that there is much more to this than appears on the surface.

If one were to accept the red analysis (at least as articulated by some in the leadership) there is an 'establishment' in this country that 'takes care' of the society- and which is content to permit elected governments to operate -until its own priviledge and/or security is threatened (and both require a reasonably functional society) -

The irony (among several) is that the red leadership actually views this as 'justice'- when in fact, it MAY be merely one more instance of a cunning application of 'law' in the interest, not of 'justice'- but expedience.

Exactly but the red leadership are just another player or group of players too. It is just while on the streets this not very apparent. The establishment toss the bone and the red leadership accept it (remains to be seen really). Many players. Many games.

Don't worry too much about Abhisit. There is still some more to go. He is a young man. He can come back now or later. He will be fine. You will see.

It all depends on whether the courts determine he covered up the 2005 illegal campaign donations by TPI Tolene. That's what the party dissolution recommendation was for.

Folks, I think you need to keep in mind the whole end game here is that Taksin doesn't make a comeback. There are many ways for the that to happen. If a few PAD and politicians need to take one for the team. They will. With lastest developments it may actually come to that but I'm not ready to commit just yet.

As I said earlier, this is all likely just for "show".

It means its very likely a Yellow backed coup is going to occur. That will be the only reason they have decided to finally, at the 3rd time of asking, many years late, dissolve the Democrats.

Expect Yellow on the streets soon, and riots and then a nicely timed Yellow backed coup thanks to Yellow attacks on Reds (however be wary the "MIB" will be waiting for the attempted coup and launch a counter coup).

Could be heading for the Honey Dew Melons VERSUS the Water Melons.

I suggest everyone gets out of Bangkok and heads to somewhere a lot safer while this game edges towards a major battle.

An other option will be a new leader for the country.

The new man with a future is the great Korn Chatikavanij. Almost every Thai will look up to this outstanding leader (6'4 ft). :D

Korn stands for a more yellow shadowed New Politics, opposing slightly the original grassroot concept, that the proto-pad drafted when the finicky constitution rewriter Dr. Weng was still a core member. :D

My guess is that Korn will join the NPP, they will be strong in Bangkok.

I feel sad for Abhisit, but its a healthy cleaning process and the new Democrats will have a strong comeback with a fresh team and the next government will be a dems & NPP coalition.

Abhisit will stay away from politics and have a comeback when he is in the age of an elder statesman. With 60+ he still have a future and the option of a long career in Thai politics.

All very true, but this is politics. Has he ever been north of Rangsit?

I would suggest these days having anything approaching a thumbs up from the "elite" is something to not be promoting. This would be an election not an anointing ceremony right? He's a silver spooned smart well educated merchant banker. And good luck to him. You cannot win elections in Thailand on the back of business people and Bangkokians if all the employees vote for the other guy, that horse bolted long ago.

As for the Dem's fresh team. Will they have graduated from the various universities around the world by the time the next election comes around? I would desperately like to know how their recruitment drive among the young overseas educated from Isaan is going? Any takers yet? They don't even know how to drive to Isaan yet alone start winning votes up here.

I am rather sad that Abhisit will have to wait until he is 60+ to allow himself to really start his political career?????? When I hear this kind of thing, I wonder what people are smoking.

This is Thailand. Thailand is a Kingdom. :)

And new election wont come quick, reforms are coming, trust me.

You are probably with your remarks, that is the way it goes in Thailand.

Abhisit must step back and stay away, strictly. Thaksin will have to follow and say goodbye to politics.

If the ban from politics is for 5 years, it exclude the right to become a MP of the parliament ever again, under the current regulation. A return as party executive, to some position as advisor will be possible, but not to become a candidate in a election. (With a 4 year ban, the 'delinquent' could return :D)

Fresh team? Of course, Suthep is gone.

What is wrong with 60+? Take it as a hint to look at the career of Prem the remarkable. :D

Wanna share my pipe and smoke the good stuff too? Check my posting history, many times i called to be relaxed and uncomplaining, just to wait for the EC announcement that they recommend the Dems for a dissolution.

I am not supporting a coup, just supposing IMHO the likely outcome. What I want and support is of absolutely no importance to anyone.

However, in a dream world, I support is that Thaksin was behind bars (they let him go to the Olympics!!!!!!), after Samak the dissolution of the party had sparked a general election (the constitution doesn't insist on it), that Abhisit had won conclusively instead of having to team up with a dodgy partner (but the system allows a banned politician to appear to have his own party), and that we were now into our 3nd year of Abhisit pushing out policies to get the country moving. Sondhi, Chamlong are in prison and facing bills for damages in the 100's of billions of baht. The Reds got so scared of the legal repercussions of protesting in such a manner that they didn't even start.

Of course, I didn't write the rules, but apparently someone did.

Obviously if Thailand ever invents it's own version of poker, the point of the game is that the players end up shooting each other or disqualified and the inventor runs away with the pot.

Excellent post.

"I have a dream!"

But then I awoke.

I too feel sorry for Abhisit. But more so for thai politics. Dems I don't care to much for.

They will realise what they threw in the garbage bin in a few years time.

When the rhethorics are all long gone and they are watching videos of old politics with new eyes.

Then they'll get it.

A pity really.

Only true believer, blinds and clueless didn't saw it coming. The EC decision was on schedule to be announced this month. Abhisit knew it was coming, that make the action of last weekend even more disgusting

Which one are you or can we select more than one option? If I recall correctly the decision was not due this month, but after our red friends paid them a visit and did the intimidation routine they agreed to bring the decision forward to April 20. Today is April 12.

So did they suddenly started working efficiently, or did someone put the screws on the EC to make a decision even faster than the April 20 deadline the reds bullied out of them?

An other option will be a new leader for the country.

The new man with a future is the great Korn Chatikavanij. Almost every Thai will look up to this outstanding leader (6'4 ft). :D

Korn stands for a more yellow shadowed New Politics, opposing slightly the original grassroot concept, that the proto-pad drafted when the finicky constitution rewriter Dr. Weng was still a core member. :D

My guess is that Korn will join the NPP, they will be strong in Bangkok.

I feel sad for Abhisit, but its a healthy cleaning process and the new Democrats will have a strong comeback with a fresh team and the next government will be a dems & NPP coalition.

Abhisit will stay away from politics and have a comeback when he is in the age of an elder statesman. With 60+ he still have a future and the option of a long career in Thai politics.

All very true, but this is politics. Has he ever been north of Rangsit?

I would suggest these days having anything approaching a thumbs up from the "elite" is something to not be promoting. This would be an election not an anointing ceremony right? He's a silver spooned smart well educated merchant banker. And good luck to him. You cannot win elections in Thailand on the back of business people and Bangkokians if all the employees vote for the other guy, that horse bolted long ago.

As for the Dem's fresh team. Will they have graduated from the various universities around the world by the time the next election comes around? I would desperately like to know how their recruitment drive among the young overseas educated from Isaan is going? Any takers yet? They don't even know how to drive to Isaan yet alone start winning votes up here.

I am rather sad that Abhisit will have to wait until he is 60+ to allow himself to really start his political career?????? When I hear this kind of thing, I wonder what people are smoking.

This is Thailand. Thailand is a Kingdom. :)

And new election wont come quick, reforms are coming, trust me.

You are probably with your remarks, that is the way it goes in Thailand.

Abhisit must step back and stay away, strictly. Thaksin will have to follow and say goodbye to politics.

If the ban from politics is for 5 years, it exclude the right to become a MP of the parliament ever again, under the current regulation. A return as party executive, to some position as advisor will be possible, but not to become a candidate in a election. (With a 4 year ban, the 'delinquent' could return :D)

Fresh team? Of course, Suthep is gone.

What is wrong with 60+? Take it as a hint to look at the career of Prem the remarkable. :D

Wanna share my pipe and smoke the good stuff too? Check my posting history, many times i called to be relaxed and uncomplaining, just to wait for the EC announcement that they recommend the Dems for a dissolution.

Yes, but we know your game plan desires.

Yellow backed coup.

Democrats dissolved and lured into NP.

New Politics is forced into place.

No more democracy.

The next step on that route has been taken today with the Democrats being dissolved (process starting anyway).

All Democrats will now be courted by the NPP and pure Yellow side, to pledge their allegiance to the pure Yellow cause, with the promise that they can become "appointed government" and never need to worry about elections again, so expect a Yellow coup soon.

However, people know your plan it seems, if you think the people of Thailand will sit back and let New Politics take over, you are sadly living in 1992 I feel. If your beloved route of coup/NP happens there will likely be a civil war between the Honey Dew Melons and the Water Melons.

However, the Yellow side do have one key event that could assist them in getting the coup into place, the question is, will they try that trump card to take over power ?

As I said earlier, this is all likely just for "show".

It means its very likely a Yellow backed coup is going to occur. That will be the only reason they have decided to finally, at the 3rd time of asking, many years late, dissolve the Democrats.

Expect Yellow on the streets soon, and riots and then a nicely timed Yellow backed coup thanks to Yellow attacks on Reds (however be wary the "MIB" will be waiting for the attempted coup and launch a counter coup).

Could be heading for the Honey Dew Melons VERSUS the Water Melons.

I suggest everyone gets out of Bangkok and heads to somewhere a lot safer while this game edges towards a major battle.

Yes, it is interesting that we haven't had any periods of time with both significantly large Red protests AND Yellow protests in the city. One or the other has always dominated the street scene. It could get really scary if and when both groups start marching significantly large mobs around the streets.

I guess not.

The EC does only what the Privy Council instructs her to do.

This ruling means the Privy Council has dumped Abhisit.

The question now is if they will try to face the protestors appointing another puppet PM , or if they are so shit scared to call back Thaksin as he is the only one who can send the Reds back to their homes.

I guess you're not aware of why Thaksin called them out of their homes. He'll be making no deals with the PC.

This is so funny... where has JDasia, jingthing and animatic gone? silence is golden, golden... must be a Thaksin plot right? and the rest of us don't understand right? wrong!

I was out with the family getting wet, as opposed to some here still being all wet.

Or wet behind the ears still.

It is round one, and Blackamn's post is as plausible as most in this rush to judgement.

Disaray and Dishabile in the coming days, and let the roosters crow, the sun will still rise,

and the world will STILL not spin because they announce it.

sorry to burst your bubble, but is this the same Election Commission that Arisman and over 100 reds invaded and terrorised on the 5th April ?

and this ruling has come from the same EC governors who were told to make a decision before the 20th April or else !

seems to me that its possible that you might say anything to kick this political hot potato upstairs for deliberation at a later date

you might even be inclined to follow orders from someone higher up in the food chain to give certain hot headed red folks what they want for now so that they will go home and give everyone a chance to take a breath

its a sophisticated strategy and the reds will swallow it.

Veera is already declaring victory and starting the car

it will never happen though

the higher court will not agree with the EC ruling

the election commissioners will say that they ruled under duress/death threats from the reds and it will all start again with new commissioners

by that time nine months will be up and Songkran 2010 will be a memory

the mercenaries boss, SD will be dead or exiled

the mercenaries will have been rounded up, tried for murder or killed in the process of capture

Thaksin will likely be dead from cancer

Anapong will be retired somewhere quiet.

in the interim period everyone who needs/wants money in the country, from rice pickers to Generals will have been filling their pockets with the countries money topped up with Thaksins millions

there will be a general election

Abhisit will win the election outright

I'm willing to bet money (perhaps) that you've got it right! :)