Thai Election Commission Calls For Dissolution Of Democrat Party

webfact

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- my dislike for strong men politicians especially when they are very corrupt

Strong men ...as in those who order crackdowns on civilians?

Corrupt ...as in taking illegal donations in the hundreds of millions?

Seems like your pretty boyfriend Abhisit fits into the politicians you dislike. Why are you still supprting him? It's time to take down the posters of Abhisit from your bedroom walls, stand up and admit that you've been supporting a corrupt politician all this time. Nothing wrong with that, we'll still love you.

The timing is interesting to say the least. I don't pretend to know what is going on with the EC. My position has consistently been anti-red/anti-Thaksin rather than portraying the democrats or Abhisit as perfect saints. If they indeed violated the laws of Thailand, justice should be served. No complaints from the reds about double standards on this, now are there? What about the arrest warrants for the red leaders? Shouldn't they turn themselves in? The reds are OK with the law when it serves them, but when it doesn't, they feel immune to it. Now that is a double standard, eh?

A side note, whatever political system Thailand has somehow doesn't seem to working.

See this as the establishment releasing the pressure valve. It is a repeat of PPP/PAD. If you take a step back you could even analyse it as such: there are the functionaries eg poltical parties and while some may be favoured over others by the establishment at the end of the day they are functionaries to be sacrificed. The esatablishment is to be protected. Remember right now there is basically no law and oreder in the capital and there is an armed group around plus a bunchg a of demonstrators and another bunch of potential demonstrators and the government have been given up on by all. Equals power vacuum and power vacuumsd are both an opportunity for a player and a very dangerous thing especially for mere mortals

An other option will be a new leader for the country.

The new man with a future is the great Korn Chatikavanij. Almost every Thai will look up to this outstanding leader (6'4 ft). :D

Korn stands for a more yellow shadowed New Politics, opposing slightly the original grassroot concept, that the proto-pad drafted when the finicky constitution rewriter Dr. Weng was still a core member. :)

My guess is that Korn will join the NPP, they will be strong in Bangkok. The 'new Democrats' will stay strong in the south and get additional support in the North. With the red shirt desaster in Bangkok and the recent govt projects kicking in only few people will left who hope for a Thaksin comeback. The EC decision is also only a recommendation for the court, it will take a couple of month more until the final judgment. Plenty time to counter Thaksin, who is running out of time and out of money.

I feel sad for Abhisit, but its a healthy cleaning process and the new Democrats will have a strong comeback with a fresh team and the next government will be a dems & NPP coalition.

Abhisit will stay away from politics and have a comeback when he is in the age of an elder statesman. With 60+ he still have a future and the option of a long career in Thai politics.

Democrats +NPP . Maybe in your dreams :D

In my dreams? Wanna bet?

Would you had believed me if i had told you one week ago that the Dems will be declared history by an EC ruling? Check my posting history, i did it.

I am sure that Korn will join the NPP party instead the 'new Dems'. The new Dems and the NPP will work together. The 'new Dems' are a splinter group now, their base in the south is hold together by Chuan Leekpai, he was/is the proto-Thaksin of the South, winning 80% of the proportional votes in that zone. But a new big strong party will not come back, rather a couple of more smaller parties. In Bangkok will the conservative wing become a part of NPP, that are not the people you saw with the golf clubs at the government house, but kinda the 'elite'. The super rich, who indeed feel responsible for the society and have developed their own 'style' of social activism, founding civic groups holding charity balls, be board members of whatever foundations, establish a strong network. The not so yellow Dems voter in Bangkok will follow most likely Chavalit.

I am not saying they would win immediately an election, but we will see some reforms coming that will organize the parliament in a different way. The end of the Dems is not a revolution.

Thailand is still a Kingdom and the motto "Thai strength through unity!" valid and can't be challenged.

Seems like your pretty boyfriend Abhisit fits into the politicians you dislike. Why are you still supprting him? It's time to take down the posters of Abhisit from your bedroom walls, stand up and admit that you've been supporting a corrupt politician all this time. Nothing wrong with that, we'll still love you.

Do you hate homosexuals? Is that a red shirt thing? Many of us think so after seeing what happenmed with the Chiang Mai red 51.

BTW, Abhisit ain't my type. I like the rougher, red shirt thug motorcycle taxi type.

Abhisit showed amazing restraint. Hardly a strong man. Any leader in the world would have done similar; most much sooner.

About Abhisit's corruption. There doesn't seem to be any equivalency between the charges against the democrat party and the charges of convicted criminal fugitive Thaksin. Don't you think it is rather cowardly to run away from justice as he has?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm sorry folks but if you have lived in thailand long enough you will realize the game has already been decided. You may see the chess moves and see the goal posts move a little but the result is always the same. If you want to use the chess analogy than yes the pawns will get hurt but most of the others will have a nice life.

On both sides!

I agree with most of your comment but the last is incorrect...the poor stay poor or become/became poorer whilst the middles classes, upper classes, elite and military will stay where they are.

Comfortable.

LaoPo

Then I think you agree with all of it. The pawns are the poor! I don't look at Abhisit and the others as pawns. I think they know what they are getting into and they take a chance for the added rewards but the risk in the end is little in the thai way of doing things (although Taksin may be pushing the envelop).

Correct: I misread your post. Mea Culpa for that

As of your last comment: I think Abhisit WAS (and is) a pawn....!

LaoPo

Losing a really good man like Abhisit will put Thai politics back twenty years in progress , He thinks out of the box not like these red thugs and he was on the right track of trying to get Thailand recognised as a good country in all ways .

Edited by saintofsilence

Losing a really good man Abhisit will put Thai politics back twenty years in progress , He thinks out of the box not like these red thugs and he was on the right track of trying to get Thailand recognised as a good country in all ways .

You can't be serious. I'm going to puke.

The timing is interesting to say the least. I don't pretend to know what is going on with the EC. My position has consistently been anti-red/anti-Thaksin rather than portraying the democrats or Abhisit as perfect saints. If they indeed violated the laws of Thailand, justice should be served. No complaints from the reds about double standards on this, now are there? What about the arrest warrants for the red leaders? Shouldn't they turn themselves in? The reds are OK with the law when it serves them, but when it doesn't, they feel immune to it. Now that is a double standard, eh?

A side note, whatever political system Thailand has somehow doesn't seem to working.

See this as the establishment releasing the pressure valve. It is a repeat of PPP/PAD. If you take a step back you could even analyse it as such: there are the functionaries eg poltical parties and while some may be favoured over others by the establishment at the end of the day they are functionaries to be sacrificed. The esatablishment is to be protected. Remember right now there is basically no law and oreder in the capital and there is an armed group around plus a bunchg a of demonstrators and another bunch of potential demonstrators and the government have been given up on by all. Equals power vacuum and power vacuumsd are both an opportunity for a player and a very dangerous thing especially for mere mortals

It seems so that there is much more to this than appears on the surface.

Do you hate homosexuals? Is that a red shirt thing? Many of us think so after seeing what happenmed with the Chiang Mai red 51.

Abhisit showed amazing restraint. Hardly a strong man. Any leader in the world would have done similar; most much sooner.

About Abhisit's corruption. There doesn't seem to be any equivalency between the charges against the democrat party and the charges of convicted criminal fugitive Thaksin. Don't you think it is rather cowardly to run away from justice as he has?

I don't hate you. I'm just saying you have to know when to stop supporting a corrupt politician. You have over 100 posts screaming about how corrupt Thaksin is, but when Abhisit has just been revealed as corrupt, you still don't condemn him, instead trying to jump ship saying you were never pro-Abhisit, but instead against the red shirts. Everyone, their grandmother and their pet parrot on this board knows that you're one of the strongest Abhisit supporters here.

On the other hand it was crystal clear what the EC will recommend the dissolution.(Crystal clear at least for that super smart objective me, i spotted no-one else at this English farang board who saw the signs)

WOW another 81 post thai political pundit is born !! :D Or NOT!! :D BTW, engrish not your first language? Note; don't use Google Translates to write your posts. .. :D

"We know about the EC decision’s but the case is not over yet. It must be investigated by the attorney general and then go to the constitutional court,"

Previous posters are correct, ONLY the executives would be banned. Just like PPP morphing into the PTP; the other MP's will switch affiliations IF AND WHEN the Office of the Attorney-General decides to forward the case to the Constitution Court and IF AND WHEN that court decides to make a ruling. Those things can and will take some time.

One need only look as far back as the Samak "cooking show debacle" or the Somchai "paying straw parties to run". Those decisions DIDN'T happen over nite, and dragged out for quite a while, or did you wanna-b-thai sock-puppet red shirt wearing foreigners forget those things in recent thai political history? :D

Certainly this is a defusing tactic, and it will take more smarts than all the armchair political pundits on T/V have collectively to resolve. :)

Give the reds a "token win" :D , let 'em go home, let this thing cool off a while, THEN let's see what really happens. This ain't gonna be solved in the next week my oh-so savvy posting palz. ..

"The fat lady has far from sung in this opera. .." Or to put it in simple terms everyone can understand It ain't over, 'til it's over. ..

basically some one is shuffling the cards. Does any one remember in late 80"s PM CHACHAI his nickname was an eel ice skating but for once PM Abhisit not an eel neither ice skating has shown his prime qualities not to deal with rumours without looking for the real facts.

An other option will be a new leader for the country.

The new man with a future is the great Korn Chatikavanij. Almost every Thai will look up to this outstanding leader (6'4 ft). :D

Korn stands for a more yellow shadowed New Politics, opposing slightly the original grassroot concept, that the proto-pad drafted when the finicky constitution rewriter Dr. Weng was still a core member. :)

My guess is that Korn will join the NPP, they will be strong in Bangkok. The 'new Democrats' will stay strong in the south and get additional support in the North. With the red shirt desaster in Bangkok and the recent govt projects kicking in only few people will left who hope for a Thaksin comeback. The EC decision is also only a recommendation for the court, it will take a couple of month more until the final judgment. Plenty time to counter Thaksin, who is running out of time and out of money.

I feel sad for Abhisit, but its a healthy cleaning process and the new Democrats will have a strong comeback with a fresh team and the next government will be a dems & NPP coalition.

Abhisit will stay away from politics and have a comeback when he is in the age of an elder statesman. With 60+ he still have a future and the option of a long career in Thai politics.

Democrats +NPP . Maybe in your dreams :D

In my dreams? Wanna bet?

Would you had believed me if i had told you one week ago that the Dems will be declared history by an EC ruling? Check my posting history, i did it.

I am sure that Korn will join the NPP party instead the 'new Dems'. The new Dems and the NPP will work together. The 'new Dems' are a splinter group now, their base in the south is hold together by Chuan Leekpai, he was/is the proto-Thaksin of the South, winning 80% of the proportional votes in that zone. But a new big strong party will not come back, rather a couple of more smaller parties. In Bangkok will the conservative wing become a part of NPP, that are not the people you saw with the golf clubs at the government house, but kinda the 'elite'. The super rich, who indeed feel responsible for the society and have developed their own 'style' of social activism, founding civic groups holding charity balls, be board members of whatever foundations, establish a strong network. The not so yellow Dems voter in Bangkok will follow most likely Chavalit.

I am not saying they would win immediately an election, but we will see some reforms coming that will organize the parliament in a different way. The end of the Dems is not a revolution.

Thailand is still a Kingdom and the motto "Thai strength through unity!" valid and can't be challenged.

The small parties will join PT , as well as maybe some of the dems .

That is where the future is when there is a general election .

Unless a coup or what amounts to it .

Everyone, their grandmother and their pet parrot on this board knows that you're one of the strongest Abhisit supporters here.

Believe what you want. However, I know I have said Abhisit is not perfect a number of times over the months.

BTW, you lecture me that I should stop supporting Abhisit because he is corrupt. Interesting, did you mention that you are anti-Thaksin? If not, I hope you can see the utter hypocrisy of trying to lecture me.

Edited by Jingthing

Who are you to complain about double standard? Jumping ship, are we?

So it is OK for pro reds to complain about double standards, but anti-reds can't? Is that what you are saying? You can't jump a ship you were never on. My focus has been anti-red; I remain anti-red. If the reds CHEER WILDLY when the Thai law is applied to the democrats party, why don't they respect the law in relation to their leaders, pretty much all of them have warrants for arrest they are evading, not to mention Thaksin who has fled the country evading his already decided sentence?

I seem to remember that the PAD leadership also had arrest warrents on their heads and they did exactly the same thing during the protests.

If there are double standards, you could argue that the reds have received a far more aggressive response then the PAD back then, they were basically allowed to occupy GH for months on ends and even allowed to take over the airport.

It's good to see that both sides are corrupt to the core, not something that comes as a big surprise.

This does sound like a forthcoming face saving exercise, I would directly compare this to what happened to Samak due to his his TV cooking shows.
Indeed the 80,000 baht Samak received for his 4 tv cooking shows are quite comparable to the 258,000,000 baht TPIPL paid to the Democrat Party ... :)

I have said before, as have others, but sadly its been drowned out by the Yellows as the truth does not support their cause.

So, I will say it again.

All political parties "vote buy", they have for decades HOWEVER it is a "neutral" thing.

They all give to the same people, so someone in Udon gets 500 baht from PPP, 500 baht from Democrat, 500 baht from whoever else.

They pocket all the money and then they decide who they want to vote for. So its a non-effect.

These "promoters" come around in the middle of the night, waking everyone up as the dogs all bark, and deliver the money.

HOWEVER, the Yellows decided vote buying was a good thing to say only THaksin did, and its why he won, any easy excuse for them to say he purchased his votes.

THEY KNEW full well all parties do it, however that is not good for their propaganda against Thaksin, for if everyone does it then it becomes a nothing, however if they can twist it so only Thaksin is accused of it, it serves them well for years as a propaganda tool.

NOW IT COMES full circle, and so rightly so.

You can guess what the donations are for........ :)

And now Abhisit and the Democrats are guilty.

So everyone in Thailand can now say how bad Abhisit is, how corrupt the Democrats are. All those accusing TRT and PPP of vote buying can now enjoy accusing Abhisit and the Democrats of the very same thing.

Lots of egg on faces now, shame it took 21 people to die before the EC finally becoming "fair" again and not one sided.

I think its probably quite clear the money went to vote buying and so it should be not only the executive, but perhaps all Democrat MP's should be banned for 5 years.

Sadly, I think this is just a softening policy before a Yellow backed coup is attempted. Watch out for a coup in the coming weeks, this time it might also not be a "bloodless" one.

Likely it will be attempted and then a "New Politics" type appointed government put in place to finally end all Democracy for the moment.

I guess a few people in the privy council are going to pucker up when they see this one.
I guess not.

The EC does only what the Privy Council instructs her to do.

This ruling means the Privy Council has dumped Abhisit.

The question now is if they will try to face the protestors appointing another puppet PM , or if they are so shit scared to call back Thaksin as he is the only one who can send the Reds back to their homes.

Are Reds going to leave now?

If the Reds leave, this is definitely a victory for the Dems. They can drag out a ruling, go back on it, prepare for next election, etc.

The Reds were demanding an immediate house dissolution and it looked like the Thai gov would have had no choice... as how else could the Reds be removed?.. Now Reds will go home without even a guarantee of the Dems dissolution?