Can I Give A Thai Bank (say Bangkok Bank) A Uk Cheque In Gbp?

Hi,

I was just wondering if Thai Banks (in my case Bangkok Bank) would allow me to present one of their branches with a UK sterling cheque, and pay this, which they would need to convert into THB, into my THB passbook savings account.

I do not have a sterling account in Thailand its just a way of getting funds over there. Time for the cheque clearing is not critical, but what rate would I get?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...s/FX_Rates.aspx

Anyone done/tried this?

Thanks

No problem to deposit the GBP cheque in your account. will take about 30 days (at K-Bank).

Depending on the way the bank which issued the cheque transfers the funds you will get either the TT or Sight-Bill Buying rate.

We have sometimes US$ cheques deposited in K-Bank and get the TT rate. Fees as of last year were 300 Baht plus a commision of 100-300 Baht per cheque.

opalhort

Note that not all branch offices will do this. You will need to find one of the larger BKK Bank branches that can handle this. I've done this with my US $ checking account. The money is debited from my account in the US in 1 week and finds its way into my BKK bank 3 weeks after that. I think the exhange rate applied will be for the date the money actually gets deposited into your BKK bank account.

I realize you were asking about GBP, the info above I hope is useful.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. No I don't think it makes a difference if the cheque is in USD or GBP. Interesting the fees seem to be about the same as a SWIFT transfer. The only difference appears to be the rate applied to the transfer, because it will not be in just a few days but about a month later. Could work to your favour, or not I guess.

I am sort of warming to the idea of going back to using cheques. Better than filling out all the paperwork for a SWIFT transfer, and the onus is on the Bank to get the transfer right.

I'm not missing anything here am I?

If you are doing it from from an account you hold with a UK bank, you could do an electronic transfer, you might get a better rate and I suspect it would be cheaper.

Just a thought.

Thanks for that - This is the problem - in the UK you do not seem able to do this. I understand that you can now fill in a SWIFT form online with Nationwide but although I have an account this would (for me) involve a UK to UK bank transfer then fill in the online form for Nationwide to send the funds to my Thia account. I can't seem to just set up a money transfer or a bill payment to a foreign bank it is prohibited.

However you would think these guys could provide a user interface that fitted in with these concepts and deal with the crap behind the scenes. For a pure sterling transfer I can see the rate my Thai Bank will give me. The only additional information I need to know would be the charge applied by the UK bank for the end to end transfer.

Edited by pkrv

If you are doing it from from an account you hold with a UK bank, you could do an electronic transfer, you might get a better rate and I suspect it would be cheaper.

Just a thought.

Thanks for that - This is the problem - in the UK you do not seem able to do this. I understand that you can now fill in a SWIFT form online with Nationwide but although I have an account this would (for me) involve a UK to UK bank transfer then fill in the online form for Nationwide to send the funds to my Thia account. I can't seem to just set up a money transfer or a bill payment to a foreign bank it is prohibited.

However you would think these guys could provide a user interface that fitted in with these concepts and deal with the crap behind the scenes. For a pure sterling transfer I can see the rate my Thai Bank will give me. The only additional information I need to know would be the charge applied by the UK bank for the end to end transfer.

I don't understand. Are you saying that your UK bank won't send money over here? What bank are you with? I use the Cooperative Bank. When I want some money I just call them up, ask them to transfer money to my Thai bank account. I usually phone in the evening (Thai time) and it arrives next morning around 9am (Thai time).

As for using a UK cheque, well seems a good idea to use them and get rid of them as the banks are going to discontinue them. I am told that you can't use a cheque in some UK supermarkets now.

Just a thought.

I don't understand. Are you saying that your UK bank won't send money over here? What bank are you with? I use the Cooperative Bank. When I want some money I just call them up, ask them to transfer money to my Thai bank account. I usually phone in the evening (Thai time) and it arrives next morning around 9am (Thai time).

As for using a UK cheque, well seems a good idea to use them and get rid of them as the banks are going to discontinue them. I am told that you can't use a cheque in some UK supermarkets now.

No - Smile/The Co-Op bank will of course arrange to send the money over via a third party broker. A very paper driven process initiated by phone and the Co-ops own documentation. These guys were the worst I have ever encountered on exchange rates (which is the principle component of the charges levied), that I have ever seen. They will refuse point blank to carry out a simple sterling SWIFT transfer to your Thai bank which will change GBP to THB for you - There is no margin in such a transfer.

True, cheques will not be around for much longer for day to day use - but in the international arena they still hold weight.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is a good way forward and indeed willingly put myself in the firing line if I am wrong – I learn by my mistakes, but IMO I have seen no counter argument so far.

Edited by pkrv

I used to bank with HBOS, I could transfer funds on line and it used to cost me £9.50 a pop, it was very straightforward and as the money was transferred in Stirling I got a good rate. It only used to take a couple of days, I think the quickest was two hours.

I don't bank with HBOS anymore, but I'm assuming you can still do it.

I've never had any problems with RBS or Barclays re Swift Payments, I just send them a letter & they wire the funds straight away, Cheques cost more to clear and although I've only ever paid one into a Sterling account at this end, I gather the exchange rate is not as good as the TT rate when paying into THB accounts. I'd stick to swifts they're faster cheaper and more convenient if your bank gives you grief about sending them, change banks.

Thanks Guys. No I don't think it makes a difference if the cheque is in USD or GBP. Interesting the fees seem to be about the same as a SWIFT transfer. The only difference appears to be the rate applied to the transfer, because it will not be in just a few days but about a month later. Could work to your favour, or not I guess.

I am sort of warming to the idea of going back to using cheques. Better than filling out all the paperwork for a SWIFT transfer, and the onus is on the Bank to get the transfer right.

I have paid in GBP cheques to my Bangkok Bank account so it's no problem but it does take 30 days to clear. If time is not important then pay in here otherwise post it to your bank in the UK if you need the funds quicker. As you say the exchange rate will move up and down while the processing is taking place.

With Bangkok bank and Smile you can pay direct from smile to BKK bank's London branch using BACS and it is then transferred to your Thai account.

Details on Bangkok banks website. £10 or £15 I think.

I am wondering if people who try this sometimes get blocks from the non-Thai bank, suspecting checking fraud. It is an odd kind of transaction.
Online banking is the way to go these days.

Have been using BKK Bank's online service now for a year with no problems and very low fees for transfers from overseas(west).

Hi why don't you do a transfer from your UK acc via internet account transfer, no paperwork and arrives in 2 to 3 days and minimal charge from Uk bank

Hi why don't you do a transfer from your UK acc via internet account transfer, no paperwork and arrives in 2 to 3 days and minimal charge from Uk bank

sorry there, just read your later posting, re internet transfer,

No - Smile/The Co-Op bank will of course arrange to send the money over via a third party broker. A very paper driven process initiated by phone and the Co-ops own documentation. These guys were the worst I have ever encountered on exchange rates (which is the principle component of the charges levied), that I have ever seen. They will refuse point blank to carry out a simple sterling SWIFT transfer to your Thai bank which will change GBP to THB for you - There is no margin in such a transfer.

True, cheques will not be around for much longer for day to day use - but in the international arena they still hold weight.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is a good way forward and indeed willingly put myself in the firing line if I am wrong – I learn by my mistakes, but IMO I have seen no counter argument so far.

I simply telephone the coop at the overseas department. I pay 18 pounds to transfer whatever amount I choose, the do it on the computer whilst I am talking to them, it arrives 13 hours later. Transfer is in Sterling, converted into Baht by Kasikorn and get the same, or slightly higher, rate as shown on their exchange boards. When I log in to the Kasikorn website it automatically shows the exchange rate I get. I set that up in personal settings.

I have found that this system has worked perfectly well for over 8 years.

Someone earlier wrote about sending a letter to his UK bank to initiate a transfer. The problems with that are that you have no idea if the letter has arrived, if the transfer has been processed or not, and if your money hasn't arrived in two weeks you have to send another letter which means further delay, and if your letters overlap you might get two lots of cash sent over - with the possibilty that you have gone overdrawns as well. My mate has to write to the NatWest to get money over and he has had many problems with it.

In addition to the above, if you pay a cheque into a Thai bank, doesn't the cheque have to be physically sent to the UK for clearing?

I don't suppose it would get lost, but it might do and you would have to start all over again.

Hi Guys thanks for all the thoughts. Yes I am trying to minimise the hassle of sending money from the UK to Thailand (paperwork legwork etc) but without sacrificing too much on fees and exchange rates. I asked a number of questions based on the above answers and used a figure of a 10,000 GBP transfer for comparison.

1) I noted it was suggested that not all Thai banks would accept a cheque and I agree they probaly wouldn't. My local branch is in Central Chidlom on the exit to the BTS Chit Lom station. As I opened my account in Bangkok at the Head office in Silom I do not suffer the 'sector fees' that some others have seen for making withdrawls and indeed payments into the account. This is all covered in the pinned thread opening a new bank account in Thailand.

As this station is on my daily walk to the BTS (when on holiday) this is very convienient for me personally. Giving them a cheque is no hassle at all.

A post from another thread that seems to answer our difference in opinion on bank charges. We are perversely all correct!

Best strategy appears to be:

When using a Thia bank's ATM machines only make withdrawls from the same bank

If you are in a different province(sector) you will be charged even if using the same bank.

You will be charged if using a different Thai banks ATM

thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bank-Rate-Po...89#entry3060489

Indeed, Thailand has a provincial banking system whereby banks in one sector (it's not strictly provinces) compete against and charge banks with the same brand/name in another sector. So, open an account with say Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai and use your ATM card local to the opening branch and all transactions are free. But use the same ATM card at a Bangkok Branch in say Bangkok or Phuket and you will be charged for withdrawals and oddly, deposits also.

2) Smile - I phoned the Foreign Exchange department on +44 (0)845 7558888 and was advised

a) I must use a secure message to initiate to transfer

b ) I can now specify to transfer in GBP.

c) Fees are 0.25% of transfer i.e. £25 in this case plus a £15 agents fee for the Bangkok end - total fee £40. If I chose to transfer in THB their rate was about 0.74 THB off of Bangkok banks rate.

3) HBOS - well I was seriously impressed this is the type of service I was looking for from SMILE. Here is a online interactive demo of how to go about international transfers - just what I want. Fee a flat £9.50 (£19.50 if you use the phone service). They will transfer GBP but if I wished to convert to THB again the rate difference was about 0.74 THB. Again there would be a fee at the Thai end but I know from experience this is around 650 THB. However it would mean me opening a new bank account - not necessarily what I would wish to do but I may reinvestigate the advantages of switching from SMILE.

http://www.onlinebankingdemo.co.uk/vsim_04...62&skin=bos

4) Bangkok Bank London - again dealt with on the pinned thread.

OK - On the correspondent bank issue and sorry I have submited a double post as this info is also posted here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bank-Rate-Po...04#entry3065704

The correspondent bank for Bangkok Bank in the UK is the branch at:

61 St Mary Axe

London, EC3A 8

020 79294422

I visited there this morning, and am an existing customer at their head office branch in Bangkok.

There is not one cash point, passbook update, or cash deposit machine to be seen.

Whist I can see that a Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand could issue a cashier's cheque in Stirling, the UK branch simply cannot, I was told to go to Thomas Cook down the road.

They did understand about PUPID (Pay Upon Proper Id) but only from Thailand to UK perspective and indeed under unusual circumstances. Like a student makes an emergency call home because he/she has spent their allowance.

You an also receive funds without a Bangkok Bank account using what is called in the industry PUPID (Pay Upon Proper ID). Please see teh website regarding funds transfer, receiving funds from overseas and the checklist on "getting your money faster"

Tips are

"Faster Service

• For the same day payment service, payment instructions must reach Bangkok Bank by 4.00 pm* and be correctly formatted with complete details.
  • If you are an international traveler without a Bangkok Bank account and wish to receive funds from abroad in cash, please remind the person who is sending the funds to specify your passport number, telephone number and address in Thailand in the payment instruction.
  • If you are a Bangkok Bank account holder, make sure that you advise the remitter to specify the correct account name and account number as it appears on your accounts - errors may cause delays.
  • Instruct the remitter to send the funds via a Bangkok Bank correspondent bank. Please phone (66) 0-2685-7777 for more information."

They can send up to 500 GBP cash to your account. There is a 15 GBP fee for a 5 working day service, and for the first transaction you need to produce proof of address and passport. They can transfer up to 4,000 GBP for a 15 GBP fee again for a 5 working day service, but you need to give them a cheque and additionally provide three months of pay slips, plus lots of other information.

All in all the 3.00 GBP tube fare, fees, hassle, and quite frankly I got the impression 'why are you wasting our time with this trivia' sort of means they are useless to us. They are there for business, full stop.

I did also ask if they could do the paperwork for providing proof of foreign funds for purchasing a Farang quota condo. They said no.

So no use for retail banking/services, at all! But at least I did get to see the Gherkin close up, so it was fun.

5) I don't know if anyone would do me a favour and ask at a Bangkok Bank branch what rate I would get for giving them a Sterling/GBP cheque - again say for £10,000 (to keep things on a like for like basis) would it be the TT rate? 30 days to clear is fine. And what charges would they make?

I will try to contact the Bualuang iBanking service and see what they say and report back.

Edited by pkrv

PKRV,

Whatever bank you choose, transfer in pounds, so that your Thai bank converts onshore using rates. This can make quite a difference. UK banks are not competitive on THB rates.

For Smile, the following link on their website explains their SWIFT payment method via secure message:

http://www.smile.co.uk/servlet/ContentServ...d=1027951510531

They also have a generally useful foreign currency section, written in very clear plain English

http://www.smile.co.uk/servlet/ContentServ...d=1027951508609

They also have a banking demo at:

http://www.smile.co.uk/servlet/ContentServ...id=971865271320

It seems your main gripe is the rate. They charge 0.25% with GBP min 13 and max 35. If you're transferring to Bangkok Bank from a UK bank, BBL will levy a transfer, this is outside control of the UK bank. Occasionally banks do have special offers to absorb. So it's best to just compare the UK charges and transfer in sterling.

In my view Smile is the number one UK bank, and certainly for internet banking. You'll find from time to time other banks offer better rates, but generally their internet banking platforms are not as good, and the bigger banks are well known for enticing you with a nice rate on something, then withdrawing it later. That said Smile is not necessarily the best for international banking. If you have a good Thai bank though, you don't need much and just use Smile for UK, Thai bank here, and the occasional large GBP transfer.

So bear in mind the range of services you'll use. Is 10 quid on 10,000 worth it? Personally I'd say not as I rarely transfer money from the UK, and usually do the opposite. Smile is great for UK banking needs. Remember also that HBOS is part of the Lloyds TSB Group with all the problems that brings. So who knows how long it will remain in its current format. Smile and Coopertaive Bank are much more stable in their approach to life.

Rather than a complete switch to HBOS, why not leave your smile account open, as well? That way you can switch back if life changes.

BTW If trying to cash a UK cheque that will take a few weeks, so exposing you to FX rate fluctuations. Opening a foreign currency bank account, eg GBP here is an option, but the problems are: product is relatively new in Thailand, minimum balances required, ongoing fees, and poor interest rates paid.

Edited by fletchsmile

Hi fletchsmile - Thanks for the links - you know even as a long term SMILE account holder I didn't know some of this information existed.

I agree transfer in GBP (in my case) and indeed SMILE has been great for all my UK banking needs. And BTW that fee applies if you send THB or GBP.

looking through the links you provided

Link 1 provided the most information - I suppose I could fill out the information required for the secure message and cut and paste it to a notepad document for future use - As you say SMILE is not great for international transfers

"To request a SWIFT payment please send us a secure message with the following information:

• beneficiary bank's SWIFT/BIC code
  • beneficiary bank's name and address (only needed if you don't have the SWIFT code)
  • beneficiary account holder's name
  • beneficiary account number (or IBAN if it applies for your transfer)
  • the amount you want to send and the currency you want it sent in
  • the currency the money is to be received in
  • the payee of any agent's fees (this will be either the person who sends the money or the person who receives it)
  • your contact telephone number for the day of the transfer
  • any reference you want to quote

There may be other information we need that's specific to that country. For example, We need a reason for all transfers to India and Thailand and BSB code for transfers to Australia. You'll need to make sure you keep an eye on your secure messages as we may request some more information.

Declaration

(Copy and paste into the secure message you send us)

In order to make this payment, personal information relating to the individuals involved in the transfer may be processed for the purposes of:

a) Complying with applicable laws, including without limitation anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism laws and regulations,

And

b )Fighting crime and terrorism,

And disclosure to any Government entity, regulatory authority or to any person we reasonably think necessary for these purposes. This may mean that personal information will be transferred outside the EEA to countries, which do not provide the same level of data protection as the UK.

I agree to the above."

And the fee for a 10,000 GBP (or THB equivalent) transfer would be about 40 GBP. SMILE fee (0.25%) plus agents fee (15 GBP).

The demo, third link was just a demo of basic/common/UK based services and I think I must used all of them by now.

Yes the second link was instructive. BTW I now have two requests out to Banks

1) SMILE - Pointing them at HBOS's international offering which IMO is by far and away superior.

2) Bangkok Bank asking for the rates and charges applied by just giving them a UK GBP cheque.

I will get back to this thread.

Edit Oh and BTW you cannot actually see the secure messages sent to SMILE they are not available to you. You need to print these out before sending - on a large FX trade IMO that is simply stupid/out of date.

Edited by pkrv

TigertheCat, The note above applies to Euro as well... While you may gain some flexibility on exchange rates with many banks they will impose charges on certain account just to withdraw your foreign currency...

..... Opening a foreign currency bank account, eg GBP here is an option, but the problems are: product is relatively new in Thailand, minimum balances required, ongoing fees, and poor interest rates paid.

Something a bit odd has cropped up

I have been in communiction with SMILE / The Co-Op bank uk and oddly they seem to be saying I should not have a record of my FX transactions because "the need for account information security and anti fraud measures does out weigh the arguement"

I am pretty staggered by this - anyone else seen anything similar?

Hello Philip

Thank you for your question and remarks about the Secure Message system.

As there is no control over the security of information stored on customers computers, it is better that the secure messages, some do contain account details of large firms as well as personal accounts, are only available to access for a short period. Those containing requests for payments are not available as this does contain sensative information, valuable to the fraudster.

Although the method does not suit a lot of customers needs, the need for account information security and anti fraud measures does out weigh the arguement.

Your comments have been noted, and the Bank is grateful for your comments.

Regards

Ron

Message Sent to Bank

-----------------------------------------------

To : BANK

Date : 16/04/2010

Subject : General

Hello Jamie,

Please forgive me I have no record of what I have typed in this secure message.

For many, many, years I worked for Reuters 'pushing out the envelope' I introduced almost all their core products at the time. A part of that process was introducing Deal Tracker - basically it allowed a bank to monitor/reconcile its FX operations globally. And indeed today is one of the most profitable products this company/group possesses.

Because Reuters is a broker along with EBS I was compelled to adhere to the FSA regulations and indeed signed a commitment with them.

I am actually uneasy with SMILES offering. I should have records of my transactions as this is done by secure message, to which I do not have direct access - there is no sent messages folder.

I have been in difficult positions before, but of course understand there is leeway.

I don't actually think SMILES FX offering is actually technically legal.

Regards Philip xxxxxx

Message From Bank

Operator ID : JWHITT

Date : 16/04/2010

Subject : Foreign Enquiries

Hello Mr xxxxx

The Smile website/systems are now 10 years old and although the this was a pioneering venture we are fully aware that we are falling behing the times.

Since the Smile/Co-operative bank merger with Britannia we have announced a significant investment in new banking systems which will enable us to continue to be succesfull in the competitive financial services market.

We have been given an estimated timescale of 3 years for the new systems to be introduced but have yet no clear information on how this will improve our current foreign transfer facilities.

It is difficult to have automated systems for making foreign payments (especially outside of the E.U) as different countries have different regulations and requirements which can change over time. The flexibility of the current secure message systems makes it easy to allow for this and avoiding any problems incurred by sending incorrect/inaccurate information.

I hope this answer your query. Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Jamie

Message Sent to Bank

To : BANK

Date : 15/04/2010

Subject : Foreign Enquiries

Sorry - but further to my last secure message regarding Foreign Transfers and the rather out of date mechanisms the SMILE is using to achieve these. Please note that this is being discussed on this forum here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Give-Thai-Ba...nk-t355952.html

It is interesting to note that some additional information has materialised.

1) The mechanism for doing a foreign money transfer on SMILE is to use the secure message system - You know you cannot even see the messages you have sent, so there is no record on SMILE available to its user to see what they actually said. For a large transaction is this not simply madness?

2) Even a third world country like Thailand and its banking system has superior international banking facilities in its internet banking offering e.g. Bangkok Bank.

Is SMILE simply resting on its Laurels?

backbutton.gif

And Bangkok Banks very professional reply regarding cashing - well basically a foreign cheque I am UK- just recieved - still digesting - PKRV.

"Referring your message, please be advised

that to accept a foreign check, we are

obliged to verify the identity of the

payee/depositor and are generally accepting

a foreign check from customers we know for

sometime with regard to their transaction

records over a period of time.

However, for depositing a foreign check in

GBP into a beneficiary's account for collection,

there will be an upfront collection fee

of USD 10.00 (equivalent in Thai Baht) plus

a THB 3 stamp duty and a foreign bank charge

taken from the face value of the check

(with a maximum of GBP 20.00). It may take

30-45 days to clear a check (depending on

the drawee bank location in the UK.) and

credit funds into a beneficiary's account.

For, the exchange rate applied to your GBP

check, please see "Buying Rate/Sight Bill"

as quoted on our website :

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank+Thai/

Web+Services/Rates/FX+Rates.htm

To receive funds faster, may we recommend

that you request your bank to transfer

money by wire transfer (SWIFT) instead of

issuing a foreign check? Please find more

information on how to transfer funds to your

Bangkok Bank account from overseas here.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkok%20bank/

personal%20banking/foreign%20customers/pages/frequently%20asked%20questions.aspx#5

For further information about our check

collection service, please call our Foreign

Currency Exchange Service Section, Bangkok

Bank Head Office at Phone Number 02 230 2168

or 02 230 1311.

Best regards,

Global Payment Services"

Edited by pkrv