Too Few Heroes

centrico

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP asked ...

"That begs the question, 'Does Thailand need some true heroes?'"

If by heroes you mean a group of people who are willing to make major sacrifices for the common good, then yes, Thailand may need some true heroes with respect to the current and recent crises.

At the same time, just like in many other countries, the everyday man and woman are heroes. The people who go to work an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, stay loyal to their spouses, stay loyal to their families, they are heroes to their children by setting an example for them to follow. I think Thailand has these kinds of men and women by the tens of thousands.

More a case of having people to look up to as figureheads. Just and brave people. Someone like Churchill springs to mind. He started out badly but became a figurehead. Douglas Bader who still flew as a fighter pilot in WW2 with no legs.

When you consider the corruption and the current political state of affairs here in Thailand maybe it would be a good thing to have true 'Heroes' to look up to to give some sense of direction and background. Have history taught [not saying it isn't taught] to point the way away from corruption and maybe bring some stability.

Yes, there are many everyday heroes in life but it is usually the outstanding ones that help to act as a basis to have someone to look up to.

Pridi Banomyong would be one in most countries but I doubt you'll ever see lots of statues to him in Thailand. Discounting the royals as they are all heroes in Thai eyes, you're left with Ad Carabao for the masses to admire.

You are missing one of the greatest!

Chulalongkorn

post-50139-1271265829_thumb.jpg220px-King_and_Tsar.jpg

Somebody has mentioned Rama V. I believe he was Chulalongkorn.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey this is thaivisa someone will correct you if you say the sun is hot. :)

I believe the gentleman pictured in the middle is an ancestor of Pol Pot.

Tiger Woods is not Thai. He is, essentially, American.

If Thai people classify him as a 'hero', they are fools & are clutching at straws.

Thongchai Jaidee.....he was recently given a diplomatic passport.....and Tiger is a luk kreung.

Edited by JRinger

There are probably countless Thai heroes dating back through history, comparable to Admiral Nelson, Sir Winston Churchill and Florence Nightingale.

The problem is that Thai education does not give emphasis to Thailand’s history, so most are left in the dark about past events and who were the greats involved with Thailand’s history.

A few months ago I was speaking with one of my Thai neighbours and I asked him if he knew if any Thai people fought in the First World War? He replied, how should I know, that happened before I was born.

So really it`s down to lack of education and non-interest.

A few months ago I was speaking with one of my Thai neighbours and I asked him if he knew if any Thai people fought in the First World War?

Thailand only sent about one thousand troops to France and more people died last Saturday night at Pan Fah than in all WWI, it's not a big deal for Thailand at all and doesn't surprise someone would not know. You can find minor conflicts in all countries' history that hardly anyone today remembers. How many people in hte US know they sent troops to Siberia in the Russian Civil War, or to China in the Boxer Rebellion? Not very many.

There are probably countless Thai heroes dating back through history, comparable to Admiral Nelson, Sir Winston Churchill and Florence Nightingale.

The problem is that Thai education does not give emphasis to Thailand's history, so most are left in the dark about past events and who were the greats involved with Thailand's history.

A few months ago I was speaking with one of my Thai neighbours and I asked him if he knew if any Thai people fought in the First World War? He replied, how should I know, that happened before I was born.

So really it`s down to lack of education and non-interest.

Maybe that is part of it. The lack of interest in history. It may not be the case so much these days but when I was at school we were taught history and when it came down to it we did learn a lot about right and wrong. One and only one lesson would be WW2 and Adolf. Those sorts of impressions stay with you a long time and can help to shape how you view life and the future.

Looking at Thailand in particular it seems something akin to a cross between Custer's Last Stand and the Charge of the Light Brigade with a mix of Keystone Cops thrown into the works when you look at life and politics, coups and the rest as those in authority seem intent on plunging themselves into more mayhem.

A little history being taught might show many how life could be different maybe even better.

On the other hand ........ :)

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the actions of Kwanchai Praipana, who bravely led the reds and then when the action heated up (that is, the police/military stood up to them) he jumps in a cab and retreats to McDonalds, I remembered this thread.

centrico, its actually a very good question u ask: here, heroes and 'what is a hero' is taught in school at the same time as hanuka since sacrifice and 'holding out when the odds are bad' are values that are revered here ; every soldier is a hero here (to us, lets avoid the reverse thoughts for the moment, i am aware of them), the ones being held captive are known to every child... heroism and sacrafice are part and parcel of our life here. most poeple here still wont name movie starts or singers as 'my hero' but are able to name figures , even modern day living people as heroes.

when i ask thais here about that, they are indeed hard pressed to name heros exept for those already mentioned above : the koratians mention their famous princess that saved the day, etc. but they dont seem to have the same need as we do for ' a real hero for his/her people'. i dont think its a lack of history but rather , history is not that important to them and also self sacrafice for the common good seems rediculous to them. budhism stresses indiviual orientation, not community values; heros have to be committed to a community of people. even the buddha didnt walk off and leave everything behind for th e common good, but for his own benefit (in a simplified keyboard manner, difficult to expound here).

americans and israelis were reaised on nationalistic ideals with leaders and movers and shapers. thais just never had that for the most part. a feudal system , agricultural in nature, almost no external wars/pressures, and a cultural pressure to conform to the group, take care of your own individual skin, and dont make waves attitude is not conducive to heroism.

here where i live, heroism is too highly stressed leading to lots of dumb 18 yr olds to risk their lives and die unfortunately...

bina

israel

How pretentious and disingenuous (as well as typical) of farangs to be judging Thai’s on who their heroes should be, or to suggest a lack thereof. Let’s face it, if you’re not fluent in Thai or not in the mainstream, you haven’t a clue. There are countless Thai “heroes” in all walks of life, those giving of their time and energy doing charitable work, working in the medical field, social services, peacekeeping, education, etc.

As an American, I’d be hard pressed to name heroes who all Americans would agree with. Abe Lincoln? Fans of the confederacy may not agree. Martin Luther King? Many disagreements there. JFK? Similar to Bill Clinton in a lot of ways. Athletes and celebrities? Forget about it. I can go on and on.

The best sort of heroes would be someone that you would want your kids to emulate. Prominent African Americans have always suggested that heroes for their youth shouldn’t be famous athletes or rap stars, but responsible adults who are doctors, lawyers, firemen, soldiers, etc. I’d tend to agree with that.

From what I can gather.

Almost all modern day heros are those who have got or made a whole lot of MONEY (if they happen to be blessed with good looks, that's a distinct advantage).

Past heros are almost entirely kings.

For the Thai there is one big hero: The King.

A friend told me she loves the King sooo much... she has his picture as screensaver. I think she loves the King more than her husband. And I bet many many Thai feel the same.

So sad, that somebody is so brainwashed they love somebody they never met more than their own husband, reminds me of N Korea-Da Torpedo is my idea of a hero.

So how would you feel about those that loves/worships Jesus Christ? Or the Prophet Mohammed? Is that equally sad? At least the King is someone real, not a figment of someone's imagination or creative writing.

Thau Suranari is a hero(ine) to the Thai people
I found some info on her.

"Mo (Thau Suranari) arranged her women to use their feminine charm in encouraging the Laotian troops to get drunk. They then slipped away to release the male prisoners who subsequently killed almost all of the drunken foes and set free all the prisoners."

http://www.thailandlife.com/thai-culture/t...o-suranari.html

TIT!  :)

Edited by RusticCharm

yes, so much to be proud of, it was never colonized simply because the west did not want it

if they had- be in no doubt they would of had

and actually they did, and still do, what the west wants from Thailand it gets- period.Thailand cannot refuse a request( demand)

its like one having a wife and mistress.Thailand was the mistress .The west only took, not gave, they defined Thailand boarders,trashed the army in aboarder war, made sure trouble would oneday by making some states Thailand which were all muslin, told the king to behave or loose his land, and stole phucket

the skytrain would have been built years ago and it would not be the 11th most corrupt knock shop

a human rights record from hel_l

invested history, banned book, not allowed to ask certain things

even the most popular person here,or one of them is not Thai

they invented their own religion

and are the worlds biggest importers of skin whiten creme

Pride should come from self honesty.

They have plenty of folks who they'd like to be like (even if they aren't mass marketed via Nike or Omega, etc.).

Most usually fail when it comes to planning and having the discipline to become said 'heroes.'

:)

As an American, I'd be hard pressed to name heroes who all Americans would agree with. Abe Lincoln? Fans of the confederacy may not agree. Martin Luther King? Many disagreements there. JFK? Similar to Bill Clinton in a lot of ways. Athletes and celebrities? Forget about it. I can go on and on.

While that may be true..there is one man beyond reproach in America and his name is Chuck Norris.

The real American hero.

As an American, I'd be hard pressed to name heroes who all Americans would agree with. Abe Lincoln? Fans of the confederacy may not agree. Martin Luther King? Many disagreements there. JFK? Similar to Bill Clinton in a lot of ways. Athletes and celebrities? Forget about it. I can go on and on.

While that may be true..there is one man beyond reproach in America and his name is Chuck Norris.

The real American hero.

Word.

post-105714-1272640312_thumb.jpg

For the Thai there is one big hero: The King.

A friend told me she loves the King sooo much... she has his picture as screensaver. I think she loves the King more than her husband. And I bet many many Thai feel the same.

I must choose my words very carefully- another sign of a backward nation.

i speak to many and ask many questions.

You are incorrect,things are changing -for the better in some ways

a reminder the subject is heroes; not nations or politics....

but i still mainatian that not all cultures look for or need heros; looking up to someone is not making them a hero; and heroism itself is defined accoriding to the needs of the culture. in some cultures, sneaky sly types are heros; in other cultures, the stricly christian moral straightforward gung ho defend the weak and kill the bad guy is the hero. in others, the hero is someone who gives in for the greater good.

for people in a war, the soldier that runs in to save a mate and dies in doing so, is a hero; someone who risks his life for someone else... my husband usually doesnt see that as heroic but as stupid. i might have to agree . some of us say: its the everyday people just making a living, they are the real heros. others say, thats just life, nothing heroic about it. the greeks had very specific clues for knowing who a hero is (heroic cycle, google it.)

is thre a thai word for hero as we know it? illhave to check that out, and try it on the husband...

bina

israel