Have You Managed To Become A Thai Citizen Yet?

sarahsbloke

On another post the discussion has arisen that the only problem to becoming a Thai citizen is learning the language which is "incredibly difficult". I dispute this statement as I believe Thailand doesn't want anyone to become a citizen, but allows a very small number to join the club in order to stop other countries taking reciprocal action against Thais.

My guess is about 3 ThaiVisa members have managed to achieve citizenship ..... please prove me wrong.

MODs

I tried to create a poll "Have you managed to become a Thai citizen?" Yes/No

but the Poll doesn't appear, could one of you add it for me please.

Edited by sarahsbloke

There is a big thread on this in the Visa section I believe and the number is higher than three, though most of those who have done it do not have a lot of posts here, they just pop in to say they have it. All of them have been here a very, very long time.

Unfortunately I can't even start the process as I don't have a clean criminal record back home :)

I am not here ' Thai Bashing ' or anything like that. But who the hel_l in there right mind would want to be a Thai Citizen ??

The only benefit from it is that you can own land in Thailand. That is the one and only benefit. A Thai would still never see you as a Thai person.

So many bad things with it to.

Thai's are not well liked in other asian country. In Singapore from what i can tell from living there alot Singaporians seem to be very close to hating thai people when they talk about them working in Singapore.

Also a Thai passport is not worth the paper its printed on becuase you cant get a visa without alot of hassle for many countrys outside of Asia.

So whats the point for a Farang wanting a Thai passport ?

I am not here ' Thai Bashing ' or anything like that. But who the hel_l in there right mind would want to be a Thai Citizen ??

The only benefit from it is that you can own land in Thailand. That is the one and only benefit. A Thai would still never see you as a Thai person.

Thai's are not well liked in other asian country. In Singapore from what i can tell from living there alot Singaporians seem to be very close to hating thai people when they talk about them working in Singapore.

Also a Thai passport is not worth the paper its printed on becuase you cant get a visa without alot of hassle for many countrys outside of Asia.

I'm with you on this.

As for benefits, what do you get when you join this exclusive club of “official 2nd class citizens” sorry, I mean residents? Having now lost some of my naivety here in Thailand, I see no advantage to holding residents in LOS. Each to his own, it just seems to be yet another money making opportunity for someone, yet another great opportunity from Thailand, “smoke and mirrors Inc” I’m sure this doesn’t apply to most farang now with residency status and I’m sure the majority have a good reasons for choosing this route, and good luck to them!

This citizenship? Can a farang be a Thai citizen, am I wrong but I thought we could only obtain residency status in Thailand, a bit of a difference I believe.

A foreigner can become a Thai Citizen though it is a long process. The first step to becoming a Thai National is to hold a permanent resident visa. The advantages are not that noticeable except you get to put your name as 'residing' in a house book. this will help with mortgages etc.

A PR will also find it easier to get and maintain a work permit and don't need to prove money for houses etc came from overseas.

Becoming a Thai National, on the other hand, comes with the obvious benefit of being able to own land etc in your own name

To first commence the PR application you need to have held a work permit (or maybe only a non-imm :) for 3 consecutive years.

I've been looking into it though have seen some of the application prices coming it at about quarter a million...! I haven't done it as I haven't been able to warrant that kind of expense yet.

Most people do it to secure their business interests. It has many benefits for company ownership.

You can own land, you don't need a Visa, no more certificates of residence.

Passport wouldn't be used outside of Thailand, not even a Thai with dual nationality would do that ..... dual nationality = 2 passports

You'd use it to open up fixed income accounts in Singapore, HK, etc. You wouldn't use your say US passport because then the bank would be legally obliged to report your income to the IRS. The Thai revenue dept. still can't figure out how to efficiently tax local income much less overseas interest income.

:)

Edited by Heng

You sound a little bitter dude. :)

are you insane??

To become now a Thai citizen si Tantamount to commit suicide,as you as a Falang is sticking out like a sore Thumb,

haven't you followed the news(local0 how many Falandgs are been killed in the last 3 months,

I guess more that 10 ,in the provinces alone,not by hitman paid by the old lady,no...political,yessire.

Go ahead,wander about,tend to yoyr herd of Kwai,and someday somebody finds your severed head on a pole(like in the Congo) as the Imbeciles are a bird of a feather,

now give me shiit.go ahead

should read:

Some poeple with connections to the head honchos are about,they have now Thai citizenship,cannot speak Thai jackshit,dont know their elbow from a broomhandle.

merchants of D.. all

Edited by kraxlhuber

I've managed to get Thai citizenship. All it took was having a Thai mum :) Easiest and cheapest route by far IMO after having read most of the threads concerning this issue. The whole process seems geared to discourage people from trying to go for it, so many hoops and hurdles. I dunno why anyone would put themselves and their hard earned cash into it unless they really loved something in this country that they cannot achieve without the citizenship. Or maybe you'd just have to be the ultimate masochist.

Passport wouldn't be used outside of Thailand, not even a Thai with dual nationality would do that ..... dual nationality = 2 passports

You'd use it to open up fixed income accounts in Singapore, HK, etc. You wouldn't use your say US passport because then the bank would be legally obliged to report your income to the IRS. The Thai revenue dept. still can't figure out how to efficiently tax local income much less overseas interest income.

People are confusing PR with citizenship here.

If it were really possible to become a Thai citizen,

would you give up your First world citizenship to get it? I don't think so.

would you swear allegiance to Thai king and country? I don't think so.

Kraxi-THR LIP at it again.

If you honor my precious opinion:

Most reades/posters/bloggers were in their Diapers in their own shhiit,when I was fighting on the frontline in the real shiit.

A while ago (guess in the 60'80"s a slogan was circulated ,even in the mainstream press."ASIA IS fOR ASIANS".

I never heard of that racial slur again,did you??

1) Alot of countries allow duel citizenship so no need to give up original nationality.

2) Why not?

People are confusing PR with citizenship here.

If it were really possible to become a Thai citizen,

""would you give up your First world citizenship to get it? ""

It's not quite as black and white as that.

Thailand does have agreements with some countries whereby giving up your other passport is not required. Australia is one example.

1) Alot of countries allow duel citizenship so no need to give up original nationality.

2) Why not?

If I have read the policies correctly though, to become a naturalized Thai citizen you would have you forswear your previous nationality. So there would not be any chance for dual citizenship unlike for those who can much more easily get the citizenship by virtue of having Thai parent(s) even if born outside of Thailand AND simply keep the other passport as well. PR does seem to be much more "logical" than trying to obtain citizenship. Correct me if I am wrong however on the inability of naturalized citizens to maintain another passport as well. Perhaps some are already doing this -- although it sounds illegal as per the policies. BTW has anyone speculated on changes to this whole process if there really is a big change in government and Thai society as a result of the big brouhaha going on currently there?

The policy is presently only to notify your original country of your intent to become a thai citizen so if your country allows duel citizenship then it is not an issue & you do not have to give up your original citizenship. The thaivisa section has covered this quite extensively. And yes, many thai people, my husband & son for example, maintain both thai & British citizenship.

The policy is presently only to notify your original country of your intent to become a thai citizen so if your country allows duel citizenship then it is not an issue & you do not have to give up your original citizenship. The thaivisa section has covered this quite extensively. And yes, many thai people, my husband & son for example, maintain both thai & British citizenship.

Yes that makes sense if you are Thai by birth to be able to keep Thai and another country's citizenship - particularly Thai and 1st world countries like American and EU, etc. But what about those who are not Thai by birth but have chosen to become naturalized Thai citizens? For those, I thought the policy is that they must renounce their previous citizenship...?

2) Why not?

!. That is changing due to the abuse of the system. The populations of western nations are waking up and realizing that the dual citizenship loopholes have allowed some people the benefits of the desired nation, while taking advantage of the tax loopholes available through the less desirable nation. There is a movement slowly gathering speed in the west that will see dual citizenship restricted to nations where there are reciprocal tax treaties and laws. Chalk it up to the middle eastern dual passport holders costing Canada and Australia millions of dollars, North Africans bleeding France and SE Asians sticking it to the UK.

2. It does not matter if one is insincere or has a genuine desire to respect carry that oath of allegiance. However, I would never make such a pledge. But then I do not want to be a citizen. The fact that Thailand is one of the few if only countries where citizenship does not confer electoral emancipation. I find the law regarding who can vote and who cannot vote repugnant. It is racist and as such, I could never take an oath supporting such a law.

I would like to be stateless and spend the rest of my live as an 'perpetual tourist'.

Anyone know how to do that?

I have felt like this for years. Nationalism..who needs it!

I see myself as a child of the universe and God and pay homage to no man. (with the exception of the Thai immigration offier periodically) ,but I have learnt how to smile in Thai. Looks genuine and heart-felt, but as soon as I turn away the smile evaporates immediately.

Have a look at the thai visa section to answer the question of giving up original citizenship. The posters who have managed to gain thai citizenship still retain their original passports & there is currently no requirement to give up original citizenship only to notify your embassy of your intent to apply for thai citizenship.

Have a look at the thai visa section to answer the question of giving up original citizenship. The posters who have managed to gain thai citizenship still retain their original passports & there is currently no requirement to give up original citizenship only to notify your embassy of your intent to apply for thai citizenship.

Hmm...okay I'll have to take your word for it but that's *very* encouraging to know this - thanks!