Have You Managed To Become A Thai Citizen Yet?

sarahsbloke

You can own land, you don't need a Visa, no more certificates of residence.

Passport wouldn't be used outside of Thailand, not even a Thai with dual nationality would do that ..... dual nationality = 2 passports

You'd use it to open up fixed income accounts in Singapore, HK, etc. You wouldn't use your say US passport because then the bank would be legally obliged to report your income to the IRS. The Thai revenue dept. still can't figure out how to efficiently tax local income much less overseas interest income.

:)

People are confusing PR with citizenship here.

If it were really possible to become a Thai citizen,

would you give up your First world citizenship to get it? I don't think so.

Not I.

Why would you have to give up your other passport? That's like saying you have to sell your first home/car/tennis racket before you get another one. Silly.

:D

With all the hurdles to get so little I can't see any advantage & their is no guarantee that you ever will get a citizenship unless you are lucky to win the lottery. With the flakiness of the government here I would be afraid they would pull all foreigners citizenship on a whim. Other than the right to own land who cares.

I would like to be stateless and spend the rest of my live as an 'perpetual tourist'.

Anyone know how to do that?

The 'PT' idea is based on 5 concepts:

- Be a citizen of one country

- Live in a different country

- Have a business in a third country

- Bank in a fourth country

- 'Fun' in a fifth country

I used to try to follow these concepts many years ago.

I am British, but lived in Belgium, with a business in the USA, banking in Andorra, and fun in Spain

I thought I had cracked it, until my wife told me to stop <deleted> about and go get the shopping from Tescos.

Still, it must have worked partially, because I didn't have to pay any government taxes for 10 years....

Simon

-

Other than right to own land, there is also the ability to own a company in your name without nominee Thai directors, work in restricted "Thai only" areas of business and occupation. Note someone said no voting rights, is that true?

I have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. However, if the Thai Govt decided to grant the same treatment to foreigners that the US would give to a Thai national in the US, I would find that acceptable

Yep, that's what being/becoming a Thai citizen means. You have the all the rights of a Thai citizen. Not sure if that's how the US treats Thai nationals though.

I have no interest in becoming a Thai citizen. However, if the Thai Govt decided to grant the same treatment to foreigners that the US would give to a Thai national in the US, I would find that acceptable

Yep, that's what being/becoming a Thai citizen means. You have the all the rights of a Thai citizen. Not sure if that's how the US treats Thai nationals though.

They can't become President :)

My wife isn't a US citizen. Other than voting, she pretty much has all the same rights I do.....with no visa runs