Residence Visa

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question!

I’m married to Thai, she has my surname.

Can or can’t she buy a house in TH.? I have one-year visa.

Yes she can in her name. You cannot be a part owner. In fact, you'll need to sign to say you have no financial interest in the house at all. Only a Thai can inherit if she dies.

B)B)B)

Good Dr.

But, really, as a spouse, not Thai, am I incorrect to say that I still can get 50% of what we have or had ?

:D:oB)

You do not get to own 50 per cent B)

And only up to 1 rai of land for Residential purpose only.

This is often said but wrong. Believe it was offered up as an option at one time in the past to satisfy foreigners living in Thailand for ownership of a home but never became law.

At any rate. All Thai have full rights to land ownership. No law had to be changed. Only an internal policy change at the Land Registration Office. As the law says foreigners can not own land a method was required to deal with inheritance claims (joint ownership). Thus the need for land to be purchased with non marriage funds (Thai owned) and that the foreign partner acknowledge he understands this. So now Thai can buy/register what they want and it is not considered joint property of the marriage. Thus foreign party has no claim on it.

At least this is my understanding of it and believe at least close to being the story.

And only up to 1 rai of land for Residential purpose only.

This is often said but wrong. Believe it was offered up as an option at one time in the past to satisfy foreigners living in Thailand for ownership of a home but never became law.

At any rate. All Thai have full rights to land ownership. No law had to be changed. Only an internal policy change at the Land Registration Office. As the law says foreigners can not own land a method was required to deal with inheritance claims (joint ownership). Thus the need for land to be purchased with non marriage funds (Thai owned) and that the foreign partner acknowledge he understands this. So now Thai can buy/register what they want and it is not considered joint property of the marriage. Thus foreign party has no claim on it.

At least this is my understanding of it and believe at least close to being the story.

A very good synopsis Lop...and exactly as it is.

p1p - Interesting about Chiang Mai immigration saying they won't consider anyone who hasn't paid a min of 30K of taxes p.a. The law, as written in Thai, says nothing about min taxes paid. Taxes aren't even mentioned as a requirement. Again, here's where the right lawyer could help, I think - one who works solely with immigration and knows how to gently remind the taw maw how the law actually reads. Wouldn't work for you or me to do that of course ...

I've been paying taxes of around 30K per year so when my 3 years of WP is up, I guess I'd be OK if that's the way it is. However I know a couple of folks who got PR - in CM as well as BKK - having paid paid 20K or less per year.

:o