Rajprasong Vs Suvarnabhumi: Which Has Cost More?

Can anyone tell me which has been more costly for the Thai economy - the 8-day closure of Suvarnabhumi by the PAD or the 5-week(?) and continuing occupation of Rajprasong by the UDD?

This is not a loaded question. I can see the centrality of the airport closure to so much movement of people and goods. However, it was only 8 days.

I know people can go to other places than Rajprasong for shopping, etc, but it has impacted on the whole area from Chitlom to the Rama I-Phayathai intersection and, I assume, down to the Pratunam intersection - all major commercial areas - and it's been going on since mid-March. Still, the money can still be spent at other places, so it's still circulating.

I'm no accountant, so would be interested in any more expert estimates.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

More to the point, what's the cost to this country of the continual failure of its citizens to accept that democratically elected governments should not be swept aside by power groups or non-elected organisations? It seems that elected governments can be removed more easily that non-elected ones such as that which the country has at present.

More to the point, what's the cost to this country of the continual failure of its citizens to accept that democratically elected governments should not be swept aside by power groups or non-elected organisations? It seems that elected governments can be removed more easily that non-elected ones such as that which the country has at present.

*sigh* another one.... so were you in here complaining about the previous TWO PM's not being elected?? Really, stop the silliness.

*sigh* another one.... so were you in here complaining about the previous TWO PM's not being elected?? Really, stop the silliness.

I don't follow your point.

If you read my post carefully you will see that I referred to the historical pattern behind changes of government since the 1930's. You don't have to know too much about Thailand's history to follow what I wrote and my point is that the pattern is more damaging than recent events alone. In other words, if the cost of either the present protests or the closure of the airport are important, then the merryground that gave rise to them is much more important and it that which deserves attention.

OP is asking about immediate impact. Shall we keep it on that then, for simplicity sake?

I recall reading that area hotels report losses of 35 million baht a day each hotel. I also recall reading (where I am not exactly sure, so sorry, no idea of the link) that business losses are being estimated at 1 billion baht a day, not just from lost shoppers but suppliers, employees, vendors etc etc. etc

the reds moved to rajprasong in full power only the last week, after they were shoot at the old town.

department stores, hotels and other establishments are functional, partially closed or shut down - it's their choice how to proceed, they make daily announcements as to what hours they are working.

still, they can make the best of the situation by setting stalls on the streets and pavements (restaurants and food shops selling food, drinks, snacks, take aways, phone deliveries to customers), concentrate on the catalogue sell as well as maintanance, cleaning, stock taking etc. Shops do have the other branches in the area and in bangkok, as well as the other cities - stock and workers can be moved there, discounted promotions can be given etc.

it's only a local problem, the live in bangkok goes on as usual in the 99% of the rest of the city.

shutting of airports was countrywide and global, affected politics, economy and tourism the great way, short and long term - effects seen up to today.

Edited by londonthai

Depends on how you define cost, but in both cases I would argue the red shirt riots have been substantially more costly.

I have heard claims of more than 70 billion directly from the recent red shirt riots, compared with only around $1 billion USD from the PAD actions. Both actions have taken similar indirect tolls on tourism. This is looking at it from a strictly financial perspective. However, closing of the airports affected only a few people involved in the tourist industry, and obviously the stranded tourists themselves. There may have been a few companies who couldn't receive their FedEx packages on time, but for most people, they closure of the airports went largely unnoticed. It was extremely tame by comparison. I for one would not have even known about it if not for the news reports. It was a non event for nearly everyone.

The red shirt riots by contrast have affected the lives of nearly every single person living and working in Bangkok. This cost is hard to quantify. What is the real cost if I elect not to take my family to the park because of an unfriendly environment in certain parts of the city? If I don't go out because I am afraid of getting caught in another senseless protest parade, it is hard to value that economically, but it is easy to see that it dramatically impacts my quality of life. So, if you look at the effects the protests have had on the people of Thailand, the red shirt riots are egregiously more expensive.

The airport closures were benign by comparison to the havoc that the red shirts have caused. But don't be fooled. This is far from the last word. Should the red shirts be successful in getting a new election and paving the way for Thaksin's return, the next yellow shirt protest is going to be truly heinous. Each one of these protests up the ante from the last. And there will not even be the veneer of peace during the next street protest if this one goes away without settling the underlying problems, such as the elimination of Thaksin from the political scene. A new election right now would be foolish. It will simply guarantee a violent and bloody clash in a short time that will cost the country trillions.

If you want to look at which protest has cost the country more, right now the red shirt riots have been more costly. But should the reds get their way, the yellow shirts will be back with a bill that will make your head spin.