Locking Oil-filler Nut?

Just a quick question...

One of my friends mentioned he tightens his oil filler cap up on his bike with a wrench as he's heard in the past of malicious people opening them and putting sand in...

I was just wondering if you can buy locking nuts for these (like you can buy for alloy car wheels)

Or am I being paranoid about my Ninja?

Matt.

Drill a small hole in it and then use some lock wire. Can still be opened by anyone persistent enough but they would have to be 'tooled up'.

Having said that the likely hood of anyone doing it other than someone who has a severe grudge is very remote imho.

Drill a small hole in it and then use some lock wire. Can still be opened by anyone persistent enough but they would have to be 'tooled up'.

Having said that the likely hood of anyone doing it other than someone who has a severe grudge is very remote imho.

Seconded. I've got a big Xena lock on the front disc, but that's just to keep the honest people away from my Ninja. Somebody really wants it, they'll figure out a way to get it. That's why you carry first-class insurance.

But sand in the oil filter? You're more likely to find crazy glue in your ignition switch ;-) [sorry, don't mean to feed the paranoia :) ]

I'd rather have crazy glue in the ignition switch than sand in the engine... :)

I once put that stuff in a my next door neighbours lock as a kid... That caused some trouble, I had discovered it in my dad's garage when I was about 8... Oh the fun I had... I glued everything to everything... including my brother's hands to his BMX bike handle bars...

Xena lock sounds interesting...

I'd rather have crazy glue in the ignition switch than sand in the engine... :)

I once put that stuff in a my next door neighbours lock as a kid... That caused some trouble, I had discovered it in my dad's garage when I was about 8... Oh the fun I had... I glued everything to everything... including my brother's hands to his BMX bike handle bars...

Xena lock sounds interesting...

Yeah, it's fun to play with. PM me if you want details as to which model I bought and why.

yes you could find a bolt or have one made. the cheaper solution would be to modify your current filler top. cut off the thumb opener. drill two holes in the top NOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. they you will have to stick needle nose pliars in there to twist it open. OR make a tool that fits the holes. EASY AND FUN IN YOUR OWN KITCHEN/GARAGE/WORKSHOP.

You are welcome! :)

Just make sure your new cap seals well against the engine or use a copper washer as a gasket.

I had an aftermarket AL filler cap that lost its gasket and it slowly leaked oil around the threads.

I'd rather have crazy glue in the ignition switch than sand in the engine... :D

Sand it what an amateur might use. :D If I really wanted to mess up your engine a teaspoon of valve grinding paste wrapped in tissue. :)

You may find something like this at a local bike shop.

Ducatis used to have filler caps which require an Allen Key. Don't know if they still do.

Touratech have both Allen and Torx filler caps as options for BMW. I don't know what the thread size is.

Edited by VocalNeal