Bangkok: Another Crackdown, More Bloodshed Expected

webfact

The reds seem to think a crackdown is coming soon. They are handing out loads of sharpened bamboo sticks and making barricades from them too. Of course they could just be doing it to keep the protestors emotions running high to a certain degree, but quite a few rumours and speeches to that effect anyway.

The Red protest is fizzling out. Probably half the small # of attendees are there against their will.

I can't see how they could here aginst their will, though perhaps peer pressure plays its part. Higher numbers today than 5000 for sure, its hard to say how many as they are so spread out, but at least 10,000. The mood is as usual like a festival, pretty clever, as this draws people into their area.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand needs national unity

April 20, 2010 12:00AM

The alternative is street fighting among political proxies

THE army was back on the streets of Bangkok yesterday, sending a signal to the Red Shirt protest movement that they should lift their siege of the city and a message to the world that everything was under control. Neither is believable, Thailand's problems run much deeper than the damage done by a large and very well organised protest movement. The Red Shirts support former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, deposed in a military coup in 2006. They want an election, which the exiled Thaksin's side would be likely to win. Despite widespread claims of corruption against him, his policies, including free healthcare for all, make him the darling of the rural poor. But no matter how decisive an election outcome, a vote would solve nothing unless it was accepted by Thaksin's opponents, who despise his populism, sneer at his supporters and can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets. These Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months at the end of 2008, and there is talk of their taking on Thaksin's supporter.

The stand-off in the streets places Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an impossible position. He was appointed, rather than elected, and has no credibility with Thaksin's camp. And the stand-off in the streets is a problem for the army, the usual arbiter of who governs. It seems the generals are loath to either shore up Mr Abhisit or, as they have often done before, take control themselves. The Red Shirts have too much popular support to be easily suppressed and there are suggestions there is sympathy for Thaksin's cause among rank and file soldiers. This was once the sort of situation solved by advice from King Bhumibol Adulyadej. But he is old and ill and shows no sign of intending to intervene.

And so it is up to the politicians. Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll. Given his tenuous position, the Prime Minister has little choice but to agree. Yet unless the political warlords agree to respect the popular vote and unless the winning side undertakes not to wreak revenge on the loser, the results will not matter much.

Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang.

I would expect better from The Australian. At least get some of the facts right.

"including free healthcare for all" - not quite. It was Abhisit who made it free (only because it cost more than 30-baht to collect the 30-baht).

"Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months" - 9 days.

"He was appointed, rather than elected" - since when was he appointed?

"can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets" - what's he talking about?

"Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll." - failing to mention that the end of the year is 12 months early.

"Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang."

There is very little chance of a national unity government. Unless the reds are in control, they won't accept it.

What's this about "free" health care???? My TGF had to pay 15,000 bht the other day to the hospital. Doesn't sound free to me.

The reds seem to think a crackdown is coming soon. They are handing out loads of sharpened bamboo sticks and making barricades from them too. Of course they could just be doing it to keep the protestors emotions running high to a certain degree, but quite a few rumours and speeches to that effect anyway.
The Red protest is fizzling out. Probably half the small # of attendees are there against their will.

I can't see how they could here aginst their will, though perhaps peer pressure plays its part. Higher numbers today than 5000 for sure, its hard to say how many as they are so spread out, but at least 10,000. The mood is as usual like a festival, pretty clever, as this draws people into their area.

Wow, at least 10,000. Very impressive. :) What percent is that of the 65,000,000 Thais? It's a shame that the Red leader and his henchmen can hold a country hostage with 10,000 hired demonstrators.

Wow, at least 10,000. Very impressive. :) What percent is that of the 65,000,000 Thais? It's a shame that the Red leader and his henchmen can hold a country hostage with 10,000 hired demonstrators.

Yeah its well below its peak pre April 10 ( they are far more spread out now), though the numbers swell considerably in the evenings. Don't take the 10,00 as gospel, I probably should not have guessed, but just trying to convey an impression of what I saw.

Yeah, like those stupid Thais who voted in Thaksin's proxy party before the coup held the country hostage.

26,293,456 of them.

Thako proxy party seats won: 233

dem seats won: 165

sorry were you talking about court ruling that dissolved all rival parties?

or the initial coup with big green tanks on the street? I wish you would narrow down the 'holding the country hostage' statements

Edited by whiterussian

I think this is just part of an increasingly hysterical and desperate attempt by the Elite to force the Army to Kill its opponants.

The Army are still reluctant and possibly could be the peace makers here. They are not doing their masters bidding by killing this week as they realise that the masters could be in for a change!

The Yellow protesters are looking more and more like the flat earth society, pinning their hopes on some trumped up LM charges to give them something to rally around.

They seem to think that if the Army just kill a few thousand people, their regime can survive. It can't and more and more of their backers are beginning to realise it. Hence the Nation sending in the shock troops with this drivel.

Most of this is devisive propaganda and would be banned if it were as biased towards the Anti-Government side. Can't we raise the bar on this site and have less of it?

exactly - it's the last ditch attempt by the desperate Elite to retain power - it's over - they are doomed

It's rather funny that you believe one side is "elite" and the other is not.

If you look in history,how many people have died for change

in political systems

I don't want to be cynical,

but 50 years after Montesquieu's book Trias Politica '' the handvest of democracy''

The french revolution started,end the American civil war.

That's great! Thaksin the epiphany of all elitists! I think you mean epitome but lets all hope that this is his epiphany when he realises that his days as corrupt leader are over!

Thaksin is not the PM and he is not even in Thailand .

Abhisit is ...

Talking bout elitist ....

Wot, did you just look up those big words then? Aint you the Clever one. :)

Big words? Epiphany and epitomy? medium words at best.

Are you really blind???

How about AK 47's - grenades - petrol bombs - lit gas tanks -

I guess those soldiers died being talked to death by red shirt gibberish

If the army were all unarmed and the protesters were so well armed why do you think 20 protesters died and only 5 army personel on April 10?

Yeah, like those stupid Thais who voted in Thaksin's proxy party before the coup held the country hostage.

26,293,456 of them.

Thako proxy party seats won: 233

dem seats won: 165

sorry were you talking about court ruling that dissolved all rival parties?

or the initial coup with big green tanks on the street? I wish you would narrow down the 'holding the country hostage' statements

Hmmm I must have missed the day in Math class where it was taught that greater than half of 65,000,000 is 26,293,456

Even assuming that all the same people would vote for all the same people again, which is a BIG assumption... you still do NOT have a majority... so how many voted for his party after the Coup??

THE army was back on the streets of Bangkok yesterday, sending a signal to the Red Shirt protest movement that they should lift their siege of the city and a message to the world that everything was under control. Neither is believable, Thailand's problems run much deeper than the damage done by a large and very well organised protest movement. The Red Shirts support former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, deposed in a military coup in 2006. They want an election, which the exiled Thaksin's side would be likely to win. Despite widespread claims of corruption against him, his policies, including free healthcare for all, make him the darling of the rural poor. But no matter how decisive an election outcome, a vote would solve nothing unless it was accepted by Thaksin's opponents, who despise his populism, sneer at his supporters and can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets. These Yellow Shirts occupied the airport for two months at the end of 2008, and there is talk of their taking on Thaksin's supporter.

The stand-off in the streets places Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva in an impossible position. He was appointed, rather than elected, and has no credibility with Thaksin's camp. And the stand-off in the streets is a problem for the army, the usual arbiter of who governs. It seems the generals are loath to either shore up Mr Abhisit or, as they have often done before, take control themselves. The Red Shirts have too much popular support to be easily suppressed and there are suggestions there is sympathy for Thaksin's cause among rank and file soldiers. This was once the sort of situation solved by advice from King Bhumibol Adulyadej. But he is old and ill and shows no sign of intending to intervene.

And so it is up to the politicians. Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll. Given his tenuous position, the Prime Minister has little choice but to agree. Yet unless the political warlords agree to respect the popular vote and unless the winning side undertakes not to wreak revenge on the loser, the results will not matter much.

Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang.

I would expect better from The Australian. At least get some of the facts right.

"including free healthcare for all" - not quite. It was Abhisit who made it free (only because it cost more than 30-baht to collect the 30-baht).

"can put their own private army on Bangkok's streets" - what's he talking about?

"Mr Abhisit wants elections at the end of the year but last week army chief Anupong Paojinda called for an early poll." - failing to mention that the end of the year is 12 months early.

"Without a government committed to national unity and an end to the existing entrenched animosities, Thailand faces the prospect of power going to the side with the toughest colour gang."

There is very little chance of a national unity government. Unless the reds are in control, they won't accept it.

What's this about "free" health care???? My TGF had to pay 15,000 bht the other day to the hospital. Doesn't sound free to me.

Lets see the bill then. I suspect why, but if you post the detailed bill on here, we can help.. My wife works in a hospital.... when she is not go-go dancing!

Yeah its well below its peak pre April 10 ( they are far more spread out now), though the numbers swell considerably in the evenings. Don't take the 10,00 as gospel, I probably should not have guessed, but just trying to convey an impression of what I saw.

Okay, let's see what the numbers will be for Wed, Thurs, Fri... this is when the upcountry red shirts are supposedly returning to Bangkok from their Songkran holidays.

To be honest, these protesters must really be hard up for money because sitting in the scorching sun holding a shapened bamboo stick waiting to be in the cross-hairs of some 18 year old Thai soldiers is not my idea of a walk in the park!!!!

This is Thaksin's response on those stickers:

"Those who are behind this act do not have a good intention to the country and want to widen the social divisions. They are also engaging in tax corruption,"

I sh!t you not.

Lets see the bill then. I suspect why, but if you post the detailed bill on here, we can help.. My wife works in a hospital.... when she is not go-go dancing!

Your wife is a go-go dancer AND she also works in a hospital? What a weird combination. What does she do in the hospital? Dance for patients?! lols :)

Okay, let's see what the numbers will be for Wed, Thurs, Fri... this is when the upcountry red shirts are supposedly returning to Bangkok from their Songkran holidays.

To be honest, these protesters must really be hard up for money because sitting in the scorching sun holding a shapened bamboo stick waiting to be in the cross-hairs of some 18 year old Thai soldiers is not my idea of a walk in the park!!!!

Sorry, you missed the memo, no pink, red or yellow fonts allowed, please re-edit and submit. :)

"Those who are behind this act do not have a good intention to the country and want to widen the social divisions. They are also engaging in tax corruption,"

I sh!t you not.

Buahahahahahha!!!!! Ironically... Thaksin = "Tax Sin" for not paying a single baht of tax in his multi-billion baht corporate sale!

I sh!t you not.

I wonder if he turned to stone after making these comments.

Are you really blind???

How about AK 47's - grenades - petrol bombs - lit gas tanks -

I guess those soldiers died being talked to death by red shirt gibberish

If the army were all unarmed and the protesters were so well armed why do you think 20 protesters died and only 5 army personel on April 10?

How do we know that it was 20 unarmed protesters that died? Only 10 have autopsy, what about the rest? How where they dressed? Did they wear weapons? We know army was attacked with live rounds and grenades and we know they was shooting back in selfdefence.

"No, it is a paid protest where the organizers have collected the ID cards of the people that are paid to be there."

Right on the money. The Thai guy who works for me said when his friends joined the red rally the reds collected their government ID cards and issued them Red ID cards. Of course this cost each of them 50 Bhat. I just wonder when they go back home will the reds give back the government issued ID cards.

from an objective and i say objective again just to emphasise the point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichardBarrow: For daytime there are surprisingly large numbers of reds from Ratchaprasong to Silom. I'd say more than on the 10th

Dont believe the nation's/bangkok bullshit's tripe! listen to an objective source on the ground!! thailan is like being in China. No freedom of speech and oppression. The govt media are a disgrace to the profession and should be prosecuted in the future for inciting violence etc. Some of the stuff that comes out of these govt rag tags is reprehensible!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am still surprised there is electric power for the stages. If the power is coming in on cables, cut the cables. If it's generators, disable the generators (snipers, sabateurs?). Without microphones and PA system the Red movement will crumple faster than a blimp out of gas. Thai public speakers (and musicians) cannot function without a mic and PA system. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, have you ever heard a Thai musician performing (or a public speaker) without a PA system? Didn't think so.

This part has always baffled me, they just seem to be tapping into power lines where ever the want and just set stuff up where ever they choose and nobody stops it.. it simply is not that hard to turn off the power as it were and make them sit around listening to their own thoughts... that would send a lot more home.. right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

It is true the numbers have dropped a huge amount. My last drive by on the fly over on Petchaburi by Ratchadamre I could see over the little hill that empties out by Platinum and a fair ways down the road, this was on Monday, a week ago on the same fly over it was jammed and red shirts as far as the eye could see there is no doubt for whatever reasons the numbers are way way down in that area

Concerning the turning off of the power. This is the Thai way to gain power for a concert or any other event that requires power. They have a local electrician to connect into the power cables coming down the power pole above the local meter. It is called free power. I have seen it done many, many times here in Isaan. EGAT would have to kill the power to the street they are on to shut them down.

Am still surprised there is electric power for the stages. If the power is coming in on cables, cut the cables. If it's generators, disable the generators (snipers, sabateurs?). Without microphones and PA system the Red movement will crumple faster than a blimp out of gas. Thai public speakers (and musicians) cannot function without a mic and PA system. If you don't believe me, ask yourself, have you ever heard a Thai musician performing (or a public speaker) without a PA system? Didn't think so.

This part has always baffled me, they just seem to be tapping into power lines where ever the want and just set stuff up where ever they choose and nobody stops it.. it simply is not that hard to turn off the power as it were and make them sit around listening to their own thoughts... that would send a lot more home.. right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

It is true the numbers have dropped a huge amount. My last drive by on the fly over on Petchaburi by Ratchadamre I could see over the little hill that empties out by Platinum and a fair ways down the road, this was on Monday, a week ago on the same fly over it was jammed and red shirts as far as the eye could see there is no doubt for whatever reasons the numbers are way way down in that area

Concerning the turning off of the power. This is the Thai way to gain power for a concert or any other event that requires power. They have a local electrician to connect into the power cables coming down the power pole above the local meter. It is called free power. I have seen it done many, many times here in Isaan. EGAT would have to kill the power to the street they are on to shut them down.

right now many of them are being fired up on a daily basis by a long list of lies being repeated over and over again...

how do u know this????? write me a paragraph of lies in thai language that has been spoken

I sh!t you not.

:) coffee splattered onto screen.

I sh!t you not.

The fact that the stickers have only appeared in Silom makes me wonder whether they are meant (indirectly) for the army- a rumour spread by word of mouth after someone found out what it means- that Thaksin wants to head a republic, might serve to discourage 'watermelons' from changing sides

I sh!t you not.

The fact that the stickers have only appeared in Silom makes me wonder whether they are meant (indirectly) for the army- a rumour spread by word of mouth after someone found out what it means- that Thaksin wants to head a republic, might serve to discourage 'watermelons' from changing sides

The political thing about them is that many people believe them. It has been openly discussed here and I am in Chonburi not Silom. Lots of different genies are now out of bottles and everyone will struggle to put them back. The stickers also tie in with something published in one of the red media publications which complicates it for them.

That's great! Thaksin the epiphany of all elitists! I think you mean epitome but lets all hope that this is his epiphany when he realises that his days as corrupt leader are over!

Thaksin is not the PM and he is not even in Thailand .

Abhisit is ...

Talking bout elitist ....

Wot, did you just look up those big words then? Aint you the Clever one. :)

It just made me laugh. What are you so sensitive about?