New Iphone 4g...

bkkmick

^ To be a bore, yes and no, since I would not mind betting the last thing Stevie babe wanted was attention being taken away from the iPad [with wings?] and focused on the iPhone 4. Interesting to note that this version had a micro-SIM and was 'killed' remotely by the time it got to Gizmodo.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

^ To be a bore, yes and no, since I would not mind betting the last thing Stevie babe wanted was attention being taken away from the iPad [with wings?] and focused on the iPhone 4. Interesting to note that this version had a micro-SIM and was 'killed' remotely by the time it got to Gizmodo.

Regards

Yeah the micro-sim is very interesting - I am puzzled as to why.

It helps integrate it with the Ipad - you could take it out of your phone and slip it into the Ipad.

It is a bit of a nightmare for everyone with sim free phones - say an AIS user in BKK. You would need a micro-sim to upgrade (would AIS have them?) - would you have to move to an iphone based contract?

It places a huge control in the hands of the telecom company. If you wish to upgrade your iphone or even move to an iphone 4G you have to get a micro-sim off your provider or move to a different one.

It will be a nightmare for international roaming in terms of getting a card for use when you enter a new country.

I sort of understand why Apple keeps such tight control over its hardware and software. I dont understand why it places hardware decisions in the hands of telcos.

As an example I have a 3GS that I use on DTAC. There is no number portability in Thailand. The 4G coes out - I am prepared to buy it full price sim free. I ask DTAC for a micro-sim. They say sure but your monthly service rate will be 30% higher than your current deal. So I can either (1) not buy an iphone 4G (2) switch to another network and change my number or (3) pay higher service fees (4) buy a Nexus or Android.

Keeping control of a product rather than giving it to the consumer is understandable - giving control to some third party is insulting. I love Apple products but hating buying them. I will never buy a MAC.

It helps integrate it with the Ipad - you could take it out of your phone and slip it into the Ipad.

It is a bit of a nightmare for everyone with sim free phones - say an AIS user in BKK. You would need a micro-sim to upgrade (would AIS have them?) - would you have to move to an iphone based contract?

It places a huge control in the hands of the telecom company. If you wish to upgrade your iphone or even move to an iphone 4G you have to get a micro-sim off your provider or move to a different one.

It will be a nightmare for international roaming in terms of getting a card for use when you enter a new country.

I sort of understand why Apple keeps such tight control over its hardware and software. I dont understand why it places hardware decisions in the hands of telcos.

As an example I have a 3GS that I use on DTAC. There is no number portability in Thailand. The 4G coes out - I am prepared to buy it full price sim free. I ask DTAC for a micro-sim. They say sure but your monthly service rate will be 30% higher than your current deal. So I can either (1) not buy an iphone 4G (2) switch to another network and change my number or (3) pay higher service fees (4) buy a Nexus or Android.

Keeping control of a product rather than giving it to the consumer is understandable - giving control to some third party is insulting. I love Apple products but hating buying them. I will never buy a MAC.

First, I don't think DTAC or anyone else will leverage this.

But you are right on all other points, nightmare for me, e.g. I always buy a local SIM wherever I go. Now that won't work anymore until everyone's switched over to micro SIMs. I am sure that will happen, actually - smaller SIM card, what's not to like. But it's a classic Apple move, jumping to some new technology with no regard for the status quo. In some ways, that also makes them as great as they are.

This move is going to cost them in Thailand and other markets like it, no doubt. And I am sure Apple's blissfully unaware of it, too. Namely in Thailand and other prepaid countries, people keep their SIMs and swap their phones. Now that won't work with the micro SIM, directly resulting in lost revenue.

Seems Apple is pushing the book at Gizmodo over this thing ... http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/26/po...gizmodo-editor/

Nice Apple.

Enforces my decision not to buy any Apple products.

Well as someone said in the comments: "Also, Apple did not call this in, else this would have been a CIVIL case. This is a CRIMINAL case meaning that the police did this on their OWN."

More like big story, in all the media, police acts out and does something stupid. Or the DA. Whatever. Some authority decided it wanted to have its 15 minutes of fame.

Edited by nikster

Arghhh I hate the fact that this will utilize the micro-sim. If so, Thailand won't be able to enjoy this phone until about early 2011 (speculation) when the telcos will finally take advantage of this. With the way things are moving here as far as mobile telecommunications go (think 3G data network), I won't hold my breath for micro-sims to be available in LOS pretty soon. :)

Looks like I'll just grab an iPad to tide me while I wait. :D

First, I don't think DTAC or anyone else will leverage this.

But you are right on all other points, nightmare for me, e.g. I always buy a local SIM wherever I go. Now that won't work anymore until everyone's switched over to micro SIMs. I am sure that will happen, actually - smaller SIM card, what's not to like. But it's a classic Apple move, jumping to some new technology with no regard for the status quo. In some ways, that also makes them as great as they are.

This move is going to cost them in Thailand and other markets like it, no doubt. And I am sure Apple's blissfully unaware of it, too. Namely in Thailand and other prepaid countries, people keep their SIMs and swap their phones. Now that won't work with the micro SIM, directly resulting in lost revenue.

Edited by RKeith

On the Micro-Sim point, if you have a steady hand, the difference is the surrounding plastic, not the contacts themselves, so X-Acto at the ready. To be more serious though, the police unit involved in this, who it should be noted 'broke in' was the Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team (React), the Californian computer crime task-force, which was set up on 1997 to address the rising problem of computer fraud and identity theft. As a unit it works closely with the computer industry and Apple is reported to be one of 25 technology firms who form the steering committee. Hm.....

Regards

Why would you want an Iphone 4 in Thailand anyway? The way they're lagging behind with 3G there are not much chance of 4G here within the next decade ...

Why would some people buy a Porche when they're just stuck in Bkk traffic 99% all their lives?

Answer: Because I want to.  :D   :)

It's all about the features of the phone and fully utilizing OS 4.0 plus the hundreds of dollars worth of apps I already bought.

Edited by RKeith

On the Micro-Sim point, if you have a steady hand, the difference is the surrounding plastic, not the contacts themselves, so X-Acto at the ready.

^^ Wow, cool. I had no idea. Pretty sure MBK and other mobile stores will offer the micro sim conversion service shortly :)

Jon Stewart must see piece on this saga, and generally on Apple's turning into "the man" of late...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-28-2010/appholes