Thai Schooling Fees

Hi,

My tgf recently told me that schooling in Thailand is not free for Thais. I don't know why, but I had assumed that schooling was free. I know many Thais leave school at a young age (or don't attend at all), but I had thought that this was as a result of them needing to work / help on the farm, etc, not as a result of the cost.

So how much does it cost for a Thai child to attend regular school?

Cheers,

djmm

Schooling is free at government run schools but you have to pay at private schools (which in the case of Bangkok is probably the majority of students). At all schools you have to buy school books, expendable items. special items, and uniforms for normal, sports, scout activities (and swim ware if they have pool). Extra study is another items many require and have to pay for. Transportation has to be paid. Food has to be bought.

So even when free it is a real burden for those with survival income to pay for school each year.

Hi,

My tgf recently told me that schooling in Thailand is not free for Thais.  I don't know why, but I had assumed that schooling was free. I know many Thais leave school at a young age (or don't attend at all), but I had thought that this was as a result of them needing to work / help on the farm, etc, not as a result of the cost.

Cheers,

djmm

If you could stretch your funds, dee jai, go for an international school to give the kid a proper chance. :o

If you could stretch your funds, dee jai, go for an international school to give the kid a proper chance. :o

You're absolutely right, of course, but the problem is that international schools in Thailand are all run as businesses on a 'for profit' basis so the stretch is a pretty considerable one. ISB and Bangkok Pattana, which are generally considered to be the best and most established of the international schools, charge a one-time registration fee of B200,000, annual tutition of B600,000 or so, and a host of other small fees every year. There are other and cheaper international schools, of course, but as with most things in life, there are no bargains. You get pretty much what you pay for.

Good education is less about schools, and more about good teachers. There are poor teachers in International schools, and there are superb teachers in government schools in the boonies...

You don't always get what you pay for here. :o

I see your point, Ajarn, but I'm sure the percentage of good teachers verus bad in international schools compared with their Thai government school counterparts is a lot higher and there is less chance of the kid actually getting brainwashed...notwithstanding parental influences of course.

My two bobs worth!

Our local government school only caters for juniors to their 5th year – it is compulsory for the kids to attend --- in uniform. Parents/Guardians pay for uniforms, books and extras no fees as such. Older students have to travel 17 km to the big smoke.

TWs 10 year old goes to a 2 year old private school there --- fully air conditioned, plenty of computers and other training aides, good English tuition etc. It is acknowledged as being the best school within the 80 km to Udon. They do not employ farang teachers and it is not what I would call an International School although they do have some farang (Thai/Lao speaking) students.

Approximate Costs:-

Fees --- 20K Baht/year

Books --- 2000 Baht/year

Uniforms (3 types) --- 2500 Baht/year

Transport --- 600 Baht/month

Excursions --- 2000 Baht/year

Hot lunch in school canteen --- 20 Baht/day

Pocket money --- 20 Baht/day

Overall excellent value for money.

I see your point, Ajarn, but I'm sure the percentage of good teachers verus bad in international schools compared with their Thai government school counterparts is a lot higher and there is less chance of the kid actually getting brainwashed...notwithstanding parental influences of course.

Jack, it can be a tough call, I'd say. I've seen enough from teaching here for 16 years to sugggest that your assumption might not always be a safe one. Some international schools, like ISB, have high standards for teachers, good accountabilty, and professionals to vet teachers, curriculum, and materials. Some other schools, like Harrows, for one example, have hired Head Teachers based on a fake KSR degree....

Government schools suffer on many fronts, including equipment, facilities, etc. etc... But there are some great teachers who work well even with their hands tied..

All in all, if I had a choice, and I wasn't intimately familiar with Thai schools, I would also feel my kid's best shot would be at a private school... and HOPE I was getting what I was paying for.

Hi,

My tgf recently told me that schooling in Thailand is not free for Thais.  I don't know why, but I had assumed that schooling was free. I know many Thais leave school at a young age (or don't attend at all), but I had thought that this was as a result of them needing to work / help on the farm, etc, not as a result of the cost.

Cheers,

djmm

Good Question

what is the average school fee for an average school in Bangkok??

Hi,

Cheers,

djmm

jackr.

I don't hve any kids. I was just asking out of curiosity really, although I may yet help a member of her family with their schooling (as in "help, not pay for the lot"! :D ), so this is all very useful info.

Cheers,

djmm

Approximate Costs:-

Fees --- 20K Baht/year

Books --- 2000 Baht/year

Uniforms (3 types) --- 2500 Baht/year

Transport --- 600 Baht/month

Excursions --- 2000 Baht/year

Hot lunch in school canteen --- 20 Baht/day

Pocket money --- 20 Baht/day

Overall excellent value for money.

The uniforms cost more than the books. I love it!

Books are government printed one time use paper backs rather than the library type books in US schools and are quite cheap. Unfortunately there are few libraries available so if extra reading (not a priority) is wanted it will also be at the students cost.

International schools may not be what you're looking for....especially if the kid is going to be living here permanently. Besides the ridiculous expenses involved, international schools often isolate children from their Thai environment and they become more like Westerners rather than getting the best of both worlds. Many of the kids attending these schools (both Thai and farang) are even more spoiled/arrogant than their private/public school counterparts. Perhaps a very good private or bilingual school may be the way to go; either way, making sure the child learns both languages is of utmost importance. Another thing to keep in mind is that many schools use the term "international" when in fact they are anything but that. A true international school is nothing more than if you took a school from the US, England, Canada, etc and dropped it in Thailand. The cirriculum, textbooks, etc are the same as used in the country the school is based out of. Teachers are most often recruited directly from those countries via job fairs, possess high qualifications and are paid high salaries. Occassionally there are some international schools who will recruit teachers living here in Thailand but this is rare and the starting salaries for the teachers already living here are considerably lower than if they were taken from their home countries.

It's a tough choice when it comes to schools here since the standard government schools are no good and this also applies to many private schools. Do your homework carefully and talk to as many others in your same situation as possible. Good luck! :o

((cut))

It's a tough choice when it comes to schools here since the standard government schools are no good and this also applies to many private schools. Do your homework carefully and talk to as many others in your same situation as possible. Good luck! :o

Many Thai will take exception to that statement as 'some' government schools are considered excellent and to be preferred to most private types; and students are considered very lucky to obtain enrollment in them.

Many Thai will take exception to that statement as 'some' government schools are considered excellent and to be preferred to most private types; and students are considered very lucky to obtain enrollment in them.

lopburi3...You have a good point there. I once taught in one of the big name government schools that would no doubt look good on a student's resume'. Unfortunately the name was about the only good thing you could get from that school. I feel bad for the upcountry kids who are good students and work very hard to get into good universities here in Bangkok but stand little chance since their schools don't carry a prestigious name.

I feel bad for the upcountry kids who are good students and work very hard to get into good universities here in Bangkok but stand little chance since their schools don't carry a prestigious name.

Thaiboxer, there may be many reasons for someone not getting into a good university, but I doubt the name of their Mathayom or Prathom school has any influence.... At least I've never heard any mention of something like that, and the system of entrance exams doesn't show any preference in that regard.

Thaiboxer, there may be many reasons for someone not getting into a good university, but I doubt the name of their Mathayom or Prathom school has any influence.... At least I've never heard any mention of something like that, and the system of entrance exams doesn't show any preference in that regard.

Ajarn...thanks for the info on the university exams. I forgot about the national exams for a moment there, however I figured that schools here would look upon your whole record when considering you for admission as they would in the States. Students who graduate from a university that carries a more prestigious name than another will often start off at higher salaries even though education/skills are the same. This I know for a fact which is why I applied it to a student's eligibility for admission into a good university.

If the name of one's primary or secondary school carries no weight for these national exams then that's a good thing....it gives students from all backgrounds a better opportunity for getting into the school of their choice.

You're absolutely right, of course, but the problem is that international schools in Thailand are all run as businesses on a 'for profit' basis so the stretch is a pretty considerable one. ISB and Bangkok Pattana, which are generally considered to be the best and most established of the international schools, charge a one-time registration fee of B200,000, annual tutition of B600,000 or so, and a host of other small fees every year. There are other and cheaper international schools, of course, but as with most things in life, there are no bargains. You get pretty much what you pay for.

Is Dulwich Collage in Phuket still called Dulwich Collage. ISR's in Pattaya; do they still have that ex head teacher from Rodean there. They were both quite pricey I believe.

Ajarn...thanks for the info on the university exams. I forgot about the national exams for a moment there, however I figured that schools here would look upon your whole record when considering you for admission as they would in the States. Students who graduate from a university that carries a more prestigious name than another will often start off at higher salaries even though education/skills are the same. This I know for a fact which is why I applied it to a student's eligibility for admission into a good university.

If the name of one's primary or secondary school carries no weight for these national exams then that's a good thing....it gives students from all backgrounds a better opportunity for getting into the school of their choice.

Thaiboxer, your school does count for a lot in the work world here, as well as the social world... Like the Brits, the Thais are often strongly connected by school affiliations, even a particular class, like in a police or miltary academy. If you look at the folks in power, you can see many many examples of these folks having graduated from the same class... As the power changes, so do the class numbers of those in power..

The personal connections, even from your Kindergarten, are valuable to many here throughout their lives... If you want to get hired in an office, you're best bet is to know someone there first. I always seek referrals from those I work with, simply because experience has told me that this likely offers some modicum of extra safety for me as employer. It doesn't always work out that way, of course. :o

But for students, it's their academic records that carry the weight in regards to government universities. Private universities have their own policies and procedures, and you may very well be correct in saying that, in these situations, the student's past school may carry some weight in a more subjective process.

Ajarn...the point you made regarding connections is a good one. Knowing people in certain places in Thai society can count for more than your academic credentials; more than in the US I think. Being a kindergarten teacher, I could see how a lot of these kids who are buddies may go on to help each other out business wise in the future. Not only is it just among friends and colleagues but also family. Many companies are staffed largely on a family basis. Word of mouth seems to be the best way for not only finding good jobs, business deals, etc but also for finding trustworthy employees if you're the one doing the hiring.

Thaiboxer, your school does count for a lot in the work world here, as well as the social world... Like the Brits, the Thais are often strongly connected by school affiliations, even a particular class, like in a police or miltary academy. If you look at the folks in power, you can see many many examples of these folks having graduated from the same class... As the power changes, so do the class numbers of those in power..

The personal connections, even from your Kindergarten, are valuable to many here throughout their lives...

Some spot on points.

:o

Ajarn...the point you made regarding connections is a good one. Knowing people in certain places in Thai society can count for more than your academic credentials; more than in the US I think. Being a kindergarten teacher, I could see how a lot of these kids who are buddies may go on to help each other out business wise in the future. Not only is it just among friends and colleagues but also family. Many companies are staffed largely on a family basis. Word of mouth seems to be the best way for not only finding good jobs, business deals, etc but also for finding trustworthy employees if you're the one doing the hiring.

Sir, if you enjoy your kindergarten teaching, I have high respect and regard for a teacher like you. The young crowd of kids is what separates the Teacher from the Trainer, in my experience here. :D

I love kids, but I simply don't have the strength they do anymore. I have the patience, just not the strength....

With adults, strangely enough, I'm just the opposite. Very little patience, but plenty of strength. :o

Thank you for the nice comment Ajarn :o I taught primary and secondary kids before I took a job teaching kindergarten. Secondary kids are by far the toughest bunch to deal with; disrespectful, arrogant and downright nasty. Not all of them are like this, but it seems that the majority fall into this category. This may not be the same situation in some of the upcountry schools where kids are a bit more on the traditional side in their mannerisms. Primary kids are often easier since they haven't reached those teenage years yet.

I find kindergarten to be lots of fun...I enjoy playing with the kids in the recreation room and teaching them English. At that age, they are usually much better behaved than high school kids and you can teach them things they'll need for the rest of their lives; things like manners, how to share, etc. In the short time I've been teaching my class, I already have them asking politely for extra food at lunchtime, toilet trips, etc. There is a good opportunity at their young age to make a positive difference before it's too late.

If the school is considered to be a good one and it's filling up to capacity, you may have to pay some extra "fees" to get your child in there. These "fees" are of the same type often paid to government officials to make things run more smoothly. :o

Is Dulwich Collage in Phuket still called Dulwich Collage. ISR's in Pattaya; do they still have that ex head teacher from Rodean there. They were both quite pricey I believe.

Dulwich College is still called Dulwich college (at least it was a couple of months ago), and, yes ISR (which prefers to be known as The Regents School) still has the same head-teacher who was formerly head at Roedean.

http://www.dulwich-phuket.com/

http://www.regents.ac.th/regents/

Based on the fees on their websites, Dulwich seems to be a bit of a bargain compared to schools in Bangkok anyway. (Maybe they pay their teachers less - probably easier to get a teacher to come to Phuket than to Bangkok or Pattaya).

Edited by bkk_mike

... ISR (which prefers to be known as The Regents School) still has the same head-teacher who was formerly head at Roedean.

Actually - thinking about it, I haven't seen her since the end of last term (just before Songkran), and she is conspicuously absent from the the website now... However, that could just mean her contract's about to run out.

If the school is considered to be a good one and it's filling up to capacity, you may have to pay some extra "fees" to get your child in there. These "fees" are of the same type often paid to government officials to make things run more smoothly. :o

And the same as many of the better private schools in the west "request" (or at least in my experience with a couple of schools in the US) as a donation to the upkeep of the institution.

:D

The only way to assure that your child will get a quality education is to personally take charge of your childs education. If you do not do this then you are taking your chances. This means a couple of hours a day for the duration and for most parents it requires a complete reprioritization of their lives....I don't know many parents willing to do this.....but still if you really want your child to get a quality education this is what you must do....I don't care what school they go to...anywhere in the world....it doesn't matter...only a parent has the time to understand a child well enough to asssure a quality education. If the fees at the schools in a private school in Thailand are beyond your means it doesn't really matter....you will get a better quality education sending them to the worst school in Thailand and taking charge of their education than you will get by doing nothing and sending them to the best school in the world.

I know....many parents are thinking....I don't have time for this...and...you know that is (in my opinion) why there is so much trouble in the world today....all over the world children are being 'educated' by government agencies and corportate sponsored private institutions. If you really care about your child's education then there is no other way. My opinion is if you don't have time then you don't really care.... I know this is harsh but to me this is THE MOST IMPORTANT issue facing the world today. If you want to flame me for this then go ahead because I don't really care....flame away......