10 Rai Rice

centrico

I realise it will be hard to be precise but I wonder if you can guide me on how much return might be expected from 10 Rai rice for one crop?

Info.

The rice land in central Thailand borders a big lake and that means a massive amount of water is available.

Unknown at the moment what type of rice is grown there but for this example shall we say a 'standard' rice. (technical is what I am not). I will not be looking after the land. The wife will. I am only expected to pay up front for the necessities and be re-paid later.

For the one crop including rent, cleaning, irrigation, planting the rice itself, pesticide, harvesting and workers is expected to be in the region of 25,000 Baht.

Any helpful suggestions, please?

My opinion - which is ball park - is expect your revenue for one crop off 10 rai to be around 60k baht, as you can see the profit margin is low given your costs of 25k baht - does that cost include fertiliser which is quite expensive? probably around another 10k - never seen pesticides used but they may be.

Thanks for the above ^^ 473 and MB1. I am looking at that thread.

Yes, the cost includes fertilizer too. I forgot about that. Farming is not my forte. The wife has been given the opportunity to rent this land for a year initially. She will then see if she is happy. If she is happy enough working with rice she can have the land for rent for as long as she wants it with the prospect of being able to purchase the land. Pointless purchasing the land if she is not cut out for rice farming.

With two crops a year and a possible third crop - water being no problem there by the lake - it gives her something to organise and also an income. I am happy enough to come up with the money up front to set the ball rolling. It may not be a lot of profit but profit is not always the main objective. Having an interest in life and some reward for the effort has to be better than doing nothing. The family have a small plot of land out there and they have told her she can have the land for a house if she is happy enough to farm the rice.

60k revenue would make it worth the effort. If all fails at the end of the day 25K outlay is not a fortune. I do not want her to work at this project for nothing. I understand the land is now ready to start work for the new crop. Now time for me to sit back and see .......