Another Usd C Note

:)

Dont they know what a hassle it is to change all those....again :D

I know the Thai exchangers for the most part never take the small head Benjamins anymore.

Now the un-banked have to retrieve all their Large Head Benjamins & exchange it again :D :D

Ben Franklin's $100 Bill to Get a New Look

1271865116582.JPEG

(April 21) -- Everything is subject to change, and that now includes the $100 bill.

Starting in February, the Benjamin Franklin note will have a new look.

Franklin will still take center stage, but in a move to stump high-tech counterfeiters, a blue security ribbon and a Liberty Bell in an inkwell will also be included.

New $100 bill

Chip Somodevilla, Getty Images

The redesigned $100 bill, which the government unveiled Wednesday, containes images aimed at thwarting counterfeiters.

The ribbon contains images of bells that move, change and then disappear as the note is tilted one way and another.

The Liberty Bell changes color from copper to green when the note is moved up and down, and it, too, disappears and comes backs again.

"We estimate that as many as two-thirds of all $100 notes circulate outside the United States," Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said, according to The Associated Press.

When it comes into circulation Feb. 10, the 6.5 billion existing $100 bills will still be legal tender, Bernanke said.

Me thinks the real reason is not to thwart counterfeiters after all the FED is still working aren't they? :D

But instead to get a head count of what is floating outside the US

Will help with the devaluation calculations :D

Edited by flying

No matter what you think the reason is to make it harder for the counterfiters, they will need to retool their operation again for the new C bills.

A $100 bill is the biggest bill in normal use for U.S dollars. It therefore gives the greatest potential profit to the counterfiter.

Iran and North Korea are still printing large numbers of $100 bills. Iran even had a government established plant to print counterfit bills. They passed them throught the Gulf arab countries, both for profit and as part of their activities to cause problems for the "Great Satan" (U.S.A.) for many years. They may still be doing so, but the business ttook a big hit when the last $100 bill design change was made. Now it's time for a new change of design.

:D

No matter what you think the reason is to make it harder for the counterfiters, they will need to retool their operation again for the new C bills.

A $100 bill is the biggest bill in normal use for U.S dollars. It therefore gives the greatest potential profit to the counterfiter.

Iran and North Korea are still printing large numbers of $100 bills. Iran even had a government established plant to print counterfit bills. They passed them throught the Gulf arab countries, both for profit and as part of their activities to cause problems for the "Great Satan" (U.S.A.) for many years. They may still be doing so, but the business ttook a big hit when the last $100 bill design change was made. Now it's time for a new change of design.

and you saw their setups (printing presses, etc.)?

I recently had this confirmed to me by a member of the SS(the U.S secret service, not your fellow countrymen. Although your fellow countrymen did have quite an ambitious operation in the counterfeiting business a few years ago didnt they).

Yeah weapons of mass printing! What else will the world blame on Iran?

I recently had this confirmed to me by a member of the SS(the U.S secret service, not your fellow countrymen. Although your fellow countrymen did have quite an ambitious operation in the counterfeiting business a few years ago didnt they).

In a Pattaya bar I assume, lots of secret service men seem to be hiding there behind a wall of beer and stories.

The reports of North Korea printing US C notes surface quite often. US Govt will not confirm any of these allegations because of the sensitive nature of the matter. There is no 'smoking gun' evidence on this issue (at least info that is publicly available). Only strong evidence and occasional suspicious links.

Why do you think they would go through this process again? Redesigning and recirculating currency is not easy or cheap. It doesn't matter whether it is North Korea printing money - someone is obviously printing excellent fakes. Technology has moved leaps and bounds in this area in the last 20 years and the good old plain C note design is no longer enough.

Why do you think they would go through this process again? Redesigning and recirculating currency is not easy or cheap. It doesn't matter whether it is North Korea printing money - someone is obviously printing excellent fakes.

Possibly but ....also realize it is a census of sorts.

If not then they would not say that those still circulating will still be legal tender would they.

"We estimate that as many as two-thirds of all $100 notes circulate outside the United States," Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said, according to The Associated Press.

When it comes into circulation Feb. 10, the 6.5 billion existing $100 bills will still be legal tender, Bernanke said.

Edited by flying

In a Pattaya bar I assume, lots of secret service men seem to be hiding there behind a wall of beer and stories.

Well you know what they say about assumption.

It was followed by a letter, on headed paper, which I found amusing and almost worth the $100.

I doubt anyone has risen to that level of assurance and lived to tell about it, but there was an article a couple weeks back on that other Thailand English language newspaper we are not allowed to mention about new "USD super notes" being circulated where the counterfeiting was so good that even the Thai banks could not tell the difference.

The article failed to explain how to tell they were counterfeit at all if they were so good as to be nearly identical and the Thai banks didn't know. I suppose serial numbers maybe? Anyway, that article mentioned North Korea as a likely suspect for the source. I have not seen any direct reference to Iran recently, but I suppose it would clearly be under suspicion as well.

Whether there really are counterfeit "super notes" being passed or not I guess we'll never know, because apparently they are so good you can't tell. However, it is clear the US has decided it is time to change the bills whatever the reasons.

Maybe they are simply fine tuning the process so that it will be streamlined when the inevitable hyperinflation hits in the future. Nothing like some test runs to work the bugs out of your logistics and distribution systems.