Unable To Download Miro

Richb2004v2

I am unable to download Miro for some reason. I have never used this before so know little about it. I have tried from a couple of different locations but each time it either does not start or starts but goes so slow it eventually times out. I did a speed test and was told my connection is 3Mbps download and 0.50 mbps upload. Any ideas what else could be wrong?

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice. I gave up trying on WIndows, but on my Linux machine it downloaded in a few minutes. My next problem. It looks great. I started by downloading a TV series I wanted and all looked well. It started downloading and told me '6 hours to go'. I then started to try to download another few series and a couple of music files. None of them do anything other than say 'starting', but never actually start. I left everything running over night. This morning the first TV series seems to be finished but will not do anything else. The other things still say 'Starting' So, not a lot of success yet. Any ideas?

Did you start by downloading and saving the installer from their website? http://www.getmiro.com/download/

Nevertheless, I have uploaded Miro 3.0 for you.

Thanks very much for that. I now have it on both Windows and Linux.

Last night for no apparent reason the Linux version started downloading certain things and was successful with a whole series which was great.

I now have the Windows version downloading a file. It seems very slow though. It is downloading a 13gig file at approx.20kb/s. I did a speed test through this site and was told I have a download speed of 3mb/s. Is there anything I can do to speed up the downloads with Miro? I did notice that for a couple of minutes last night the speed jumped to 6mb/s but then returned to the slow speed. Any idea why?

Also is there any danger in using software like Miro? Can anyone access my machine in an unwanted way?

Thanks.

Miro is a video player combined with a download manager for podcasts and other audio/video sources. I'd consider it generally safe to use just as any other video player.

Of course the download functionality might add some risk, but it allows the download of video and audio sources only which is good. Audio and Video sources are not as vulnerable to distribute malware as are software, game or other downloads which include executable programs. The way Miro works makes it impossible to download and execute other kind of files that are more vulnerable.

Furthermore, Miro offers a channel guide and the sources offered there can be considered sincere and safe. Miro also offers to add any 3rd party RSS feed and obviously this does not necessarily apply to those.

A word on download speed:

Miro offers not only direct HTTP download from the server that hosts the 'channel' (aka podcast or RSS feed), but also P2P bittorrent support. Not sure how much you know about bittorrent, but this might be the source for your inconsistent download speeds. Google for bittorrent or search this forum if you are not familiar with the issues involved.

I think that bittorrent downloads should be marked as such in Miro, but I'm not sure.

Of course, the download speeds might also depend on the server that you download from.

If you post the RSS feed that you want to download (or send via private message) I can probably give you better hints on what's going on.

welo

I think I have a handle on this business now, sort of. After experimenting with various download torrent locations I realize that it is all to do with the number of seeders. New files with many seeders download quickly where as older less popular items either take a long time or just don't do anything at all. So, if I want Season 1 of a series I might struggle, but the latest season will be better available. I have now successfully obtained a few things that I was after. Am I right in this and if so are there any particular places I should be looking for things.

Thanks.

I think I have a handle on this business now, sort of. After experimenting with various download torrent locations I realize that it is all to do with the number of seeders. New files with many seeders download quickly where as older less popular items either take a long time or just don't do anything at all. So, if I want Season 1 of a series I might struggle, but the latest season will be better available. I have now successfully obtained a few things that I was after. Am I right in this and if so are there any particular places I should be looking for things.

Thanks.

There are much better ways. For what are you looking?

Thanks.

There are much better ways. For what are you looking?

Nothing too unusual. I've wanted season 1 of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' for some time. It seems like it is not possible to download this one without a huge wait. Plus Season 1 of 'Desperate Housewives'. They are the ones giving me trouble.

Another point. Since using this facility my connection seems to have slowed right down to a crawl, even though speed test tell me I still have a good connection. Any ideas what this could be other than an actual IP problem?