Help What Kind Of Snake Is This

monkfish

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might it be a member of the viper family, it's got that kind of head. I'm no expert I'm afraid, but it does look as if it could be venemous. Just stay indoors, it will be long gone by morning.

Don't kill it. No need!

Could that be a Malayan Pit viper...OMG run if it is.. No expert either but a pic I saw has similar markings..

Edited by MB1

Nice pic.

I'd likely agree with the above, but there was mention in a previous thread of some non-venomous snake who look similar to vipers.

Hopefully some expert will tell you more.

PS google 'snakes in thailand', with some patience you might find your snake.

Can you get any closer pics for us please :)

http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/poisono...n-pit-viper.htm

Malayan pit viper

Callaselasma rhodostoma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: Reddish running into pink tinge toward the belly with triangular-shaped, brown markings bordered with light-colored scales. The base of the triangular-shaped markings end at the midline. It has dark brown, arrow-shaped markings on the top and each side of its head.

Characteristics: This snake has long fangs, is ill-tempered, and is responsible for many bites. Its venom is hemotoxic, destroying blood cells and tissue, but a victim's chances of survival are good with medical aid. This viper is a ground dweller that moves into many areas in search of food. The greatest danger is in stepping on the snake with bare feet.

Habitat: Rubber plantations, farms, rural villages, and rain forests.

Length: Average 60 centimeters, maximum 1 meter.

Distribution: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Java, Sumatra, Malaysia, Vietnam, Burma, and China.

post-90977-1272043524_thumb.jpg

Edited by MB1

Just read that the nickname is "Finger Rotter" , if they bite your finger you can lose it, or a part of it if you don't receive fast enough medical care/help..little bugga*s.

So I suppose if you stand on em and they bite you'll get foot rot..

Thanks for the advice certainly does look like a pit viper!

I think its only a baby though can't be longer than a foot.

Misses is on the phone trying to find someone to remove it.Hope the

Hope they come out at this time :)

Edit: If i would have known don't think i would have got so close to take the pic YIKES

Edited by monkfish

Good news!

My snake is gone and a positive identification on behalf of TV members indeed a Malayan Pit Viper!!

The misses called the police who gave us the number of the local snake catcher they were here within 10 minutes of calling.

Must say even they seemed scared of this guy and were very cautious during the catching process so probably wouldn't recommend DIY with Pit Vipers.

All in all an excellent service they didn't even ask for a fee but I insisted they took a 100B for the inconvenience of coming out late at night.

One thing to be aware of is he didn't seem at all scared, this guy held his ground even when threatened with a mop and he wasn't in a corner.

The bad news! it was only a baby and the mummy probably isn't to far way!

It DOES look like a Malayan pitt viper... Here is a photo that looks much similar

Malayan_Pit_Viper.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. someone else already identified it. I was in the middle of replying and was interupted by some workers on my property.

Great photo by the OP, thanks. I'm glad nobody killed it. Snakes provide a valuable service in keeping down the rat population. Most are not aggressive, even though they might be venomous.

Edited by IanForbes

Wow! Monkfish, Looks like you won the poisonous snake lottery. I seen my share of when I lived in Prachuab Kiri Khan. We had everything out at our factory. There are like 70+ different species of Snakes in Thailand and more than half are poisonous. Kind of adds to the excitement ,doesn't it,

LL

Makes me happy to be on the 14th floor!

:) Don't get too comfortable. Years ago in KL, we had a cobra on our 7th floor balcony.

As a point of interest, snakes 'learn' to dispense venom as they mature. A large proportion of snake bites are in fact dry strikes. But young ones don't have the skill, they will inject all the venom they have.

I'm an expert smashing them ...sorry ....

Just take a blue pvc hit them flat with it and they are finished .

Some would hate me for it , but what you want me to do ? I've got kids walking around here ,

had a couple of cobra's recently , those I ask the neighbour to get along .

Some would hate me for it , but what you want me to do ? I've got kids walking around here ,

If you think killing them is going to reduce the amount of them in your garden, then you aint to bright. I'm no green peace hippy, what needs to be done, needs to be done sometimes, but that isn't it. At least eat them or give them to someone who will.

Anyway why the need to tell every body? If that's what you do then fine. You knew as you wrote it, that it would upset some people. (Not me I hasten to add)

If you think killing them is going to reduce the amount of them in your garden, then you aint to bright. I'm no green peace hippy, what needs to be done, needs to be done sometimes, but that isn't it. At least eat them or give them to someone who will.

Anyway why the need to tell every body? If that's what you do then fine. You knew as you wrote it, that it would upset some people. (Not me I hasten to add)

I'm happy not being so bright then ....If it upsets someone , welcome to Thailand , this is what they all do over here ,

no risks .

I mentioned mimicry in my last post, it deals with mimicking another species. Batesian refers to a non-poisonous or non-venomous (poison is ingested, venom is injected... Biology pet-peeve >_<) If you simply kill every snake that comes across your path, you may be killing species that are helpful to your household.

Now I understand that you have children and perhaps pets, and I am not trying to scold you. But if it's not a dire situation, perhaps in the future covering it with a bucket and calling a local, as suggested, is a better practice. At the very least the meat won't go to waste! :)

Ian: What type of snake is that yellow and black one. I haven't seen a cobra like that before.

The yellow and black stripes are a common pattern in Thailand.

Batesian and Müllerian mimicry are rampant in a tropical setting, so cool too.

It's a mangrove snake (bogia)

Do not confuse with the banded krait. :)