Rough Amount Of Money Needed Per Year

penbat

2500 pound can last a year in pattaya easily.  That also includes getting drunk every 2nd day ( calculated "getting drunk"= drinking a 26 of sang som )

What planet are you living on :D 2500 pounds wouldnt last you 3 monthe let alone 1 year. I think you must have made a miscalculation somewhere, either that or you live in a carboard box and eat out of dustbins :o

ROFLMFAO

I'll 2nd that emotion

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define "Comfortably".

I know my Thai wife and I can live "comfortably" on just over $30,000 U.S./yr. but she owns her home so we pay NO rent excepting during the two weeks each month that we travel and stay in hotels. So that cuts our "rent" in about half.

I wouldn't want to live on less but I know many who do live on less than $1,000 U.S. per month. Is it "really" living though????

Ken Bower

here in thailand, I live on about 500 dollars a month, and I'm pretty happy with my life.  ..with 1000 dollars, I would really be living it up.

What would you do with the 500 dollars more that you cannot do now?

To me the more I have the more I want and when retired I really won´t like to give up my life-standard I once achieved (still could be higher).

But for sure worrying about money is the least I want while in a foreign country .It´s always better to have a little too much isn´t it?

I'm sorry but a lot of you guys seam to earn truckloads of money a year . If you cannot live in LOS with 50000 bath a month , how much are you spending back home ???? At least double , i'd say . Off course , i can spend 150.000 bath a month without a problem . Big house , running airco's all day , having a car , maid for cleaning , and a lot off cgoing out stuff gets your money flowing all right . If you just eat at home , rent a small house and only use airco when needed ( that is virtually never when living there ) , do your cleaning yourself , you easily can live with 25.000 a month . I mean easy ... gives you money to go out 1 or 2 times a week but off course not extraordenary . It all depends on what you want for a living . Want luxury , yes 50k would be the min . .

I know many many people who live on a small ammount, cheap room, don't drink, don't smoke, enjoy the beach or reading, etc.

I know that I could live on 500 USD a month if the need arose.

Room & utilities = 4000 baht per month, still leaves me 16000 baht a month = 500 baht a day, I Don't drink, don't smoke, eat Thai food..........own a small motorcyle 50 baht a week gasoline.

After rent expenses are as much or as less as you want them to be, how many times have men said " I wish I had all the money I've pissed up the wall ( Drank ) ".

Try stopping drinking and see how much you need to survive on, beer in my opinion is not a must have unless you are an alcoholic. :o

Edited by Bilko

For myself: my hobbies will cost me a lot.Hey I´ll have a lot of time that has to be organized.I will play golf at least twice a week,I´m a passionate car and motorbike fan,my dog breed will also cost more money than I will earn.I´m not the guy sitting on the veranda and reading a book.And with my wife, she´ll be thinking I have nothing to do

and most men know what that will mean:she´ll be expecting you to join her what she does

For myself: my hobbies will cost me a lot.Hey I´ll have a lot of time that has to be organized.I will play golf at least twice a week,I´m a passionate car and motorbike fan,my dog breed will also cost more money than I will earn.I´m not the guy sitting on the veranda and reading a book.And with my wife, she´ll be thinking I have nothing to do

and most men know what that will mean:she´ll be expecting you to join her what she does

Just last night I was with my wife only @ the SEAFOOD MARKET RESTAURANT in Bangkok and the bill (including 1 bottle of australian cheap vine) was 9000 baht!

Yes you can live with 500$ a month, but I'd rather prefer the shitty cold Europe, at least I go to a BAR to have a Cappuccino and I can chat with someone about football or F1 .....

In Thailand you're alone, and being alone has a price both in terms of more expenses and lonely life. If you come to Thailand come with enough money to live much much better than in Europe, otherwise stay home and come here 2-3 weeks/year just to avoid your condoms to expire .....

Edited by duke69

Just last night I was with my wife only @ the SEAFOOD MARKET RESTAURANT in Bangkok and the bill (including 1 bottle of australian cheap vine) was 9000 baht!

Yes you can live with 500$ a month, but I'd rather prefer the shitty cold Europe, at least I go to a BAR to have a Cappuccino and I can chat with someone about football or F1 .....

In Thailand you're alone, and being alone has a price both in terms of more expenses and lonely life. If you come to Thailand come with enough money to live much much better than in Europe, otherwise stay home and come here 2-3 weeks/year just to avoid your condoms to expire .....

Amen to that, Duke. Expecting to come here and exist on a pittance of $500-$1000 is a pipe dream. Bums on the Venice Beach boardwalk make more than that.

why would any one drink beer?  you can drink sang som or moonshine if you need to be extra cost effective, i only drink beer when they are free at the clubs

The trouble with drinking moonshine it makes you go blind talk rubbish and makes your hair go all funny, looks like you been drinking too much already cory!!!! :o Only joking

2500 pound can last a year in pattaya easily.  That also includes getting drunk every 2nd day ( calculated "getting drunk"= drinking a 26 of sang som )

I was in Pattaya during Songran earlier this year, I was spending about 2,500 baht per day...

The only expense I had to pay for myself was my night out entertainment, everything else was prepayed for. If I was to go out every second night like I did, I would accrue a total somewhere around the 9k mark (about 660000 baht) - that was about 2,500 baht a night. I did not pay for any after hours entertainment courtesy of a bar girl either, so that could have added an extra 1,000 easily enough.

In other words, a 2.5k budet would get you nowhere in a place like Pattaya, well personally it wouldn't, but I'm pretty sure it would not even get a recluse very far.

Best of luck trying though

The only expense I had to pay for myself was my night out entertainment, everything else was prepayed for.  If I was to go out every second night like I did, I would accrue a total somewhere around the 9k mark (about 660000 baht) - that was about 2,500 baht a night.  I did not pay for any after hours entertainment courtesy of a bar girl either, so that could have added an extra 1,000 easily enough.

Jez...I'm not sure how some of your are living, but 2.5K a night seems high for just going out...

When on vacation here a few years back my wife and I lived in a hotel for 3 weeks, ate 3 meals out every day and almost never got above 1.5K per day*. For us both.

(One trip to the Australien Outback-restaurant in Siam Square cost some 1300B, but that is steaks...)

Edited by Zarkow

The only expense I had to pay for myself was my night out entertainment, everything else was prepayed for.  If I was to go out every second night like I did, I would accrue a total somewhere around the 9k mark (about 660000 baht) - that was about 2,500 baht a night.  I did not pay for any after hours entertainment courtesy of a bar girl either, so that could have added an extra 1,000 easily enough.

Jez...I'm not sure how some of your are living, but 2.5K a night seems high for just going out...

When on vacation here a few years back my wife and I lived in a hotel for 3 weeks, ate 3 meals out every day and almost never got above 1.5K per day*. For us both.

(One trip to the Australien Outback-restaurant in Siam Square cost some 1300B, but that is steaks...)

I admit it is possible to get by on a lot less, but that was the amount of money I was spending a night... I was only in Pattaya 6 nights so I think that sort of urged me to just go for it, the result was the best 6 nights of my life though!

I guess I am lucky, factor out the rent. Wifey has her own house in a Moobarn Ramkhamhaeng. Apart from that, we get by quiet comfortably on 30,000 a month . After paying electric, water, telephone leaves us about 12 thousand each. Might sound strange but my missues gets half the money. Have a 22 month year old daughter..i guess 2 or 3 a month,nappies(pampers) toys, milk, food ect. we always split the differance. The pick up is only about petrol ( mother-in-law bought it for us) ...i guess 3 thousand a month . The rest is beer, food, movies. After paying off all the budget, i can survive easily on 300 baht a day. 150 baht for beer 3 changs and a singha/tiger, with change left over.......a bowl of noodles for lunch ...and a few pork steaks with potaotoes, carrots and fish on the bbq for dinner.

That seams to me a better kind of figures . A 2500 for a night out is not a small night . Go to a bar ... drink let's say 10 Singha/Chang and that will be between 700 and 900 bath , Am i right or not ??? After 10 Singha's , well my night is pretty well over ... euhm or just say it is over :o . I can imagine going to a place where they sell beer at 110 bath but that still would be 1100 bath . Let's say , you give 2 drinks for ladies or whatever ... That is still lower then 1500 bath including tips . I don't know how much you drink or how much free drinks you give or what you drink ( maybe tequila ??? ) but 2500 bath every other night means that's not just a night out on a normal basis . Just IMHO ...

Edited by pyros

1.2 million should scrape you buy with an adequate lifestyle. I would not live here on under a million; no way no how

Agree 100% with this figure. 1.2m, which is my income from investments.

If I want to live the same kind lifestyle as I had back home then this is JUST about enough in Chaing Mai.

I would have struggled to live on 5 times that much in the UK if I was not working.

Cheers

TP

Go to a bar ... drink let's say 10 Singha/Chang and that will be between 700 and 900 bath , Am i right or not ???

There you go then. 10 large *chang* up here in the sticks will only cost you Bht 550.00 - Bht 600.00 even in the expensive bars (Bht 350.00 in the cheaper ones). Not that I've ever knowingly managed to drink 10 large *chang*.