Re Newing A Uk Passport By Sending It To Hong Kong

Just had my new passport from Hong Kong in Sisaket.Sent photo copy of Details with last page showing it was full with 2 photos & debit card details from Website. Sent it by ordinary post, cost 32 baht. Arr back last Monday via DHL total cost in HK Dollars £137. Says issued by FCO not Kong Kong. Have to visit immigration Thursday to get Loas visa transferred then onto Border for 60day stamp so hope no problems, will let you know now. Embassy says my old passport now viod so cut corners off yourself. Hope this is helpful??

Hi and Thanks for the report, just out of curiosity was the debit card details you used for a Thai Bank or a UK Bank . I don't have a UK Credit card , but do have a Thai Bank Debit card and a UK Debit card.

TL

Just had my new passport from Hong Kong in Sisaket.Sent photo copy of Details with last page showing it was full with 2 photos & debit card details from Website. Sent it by ordinary post, cost 32 baht. Arr back last Monday via DHL total cost in HK Dollars £137. Says issued by FCO not Kong Kong. Have to visit immigration Thursday to get Loas visa transferred then onto Border for 60day stamp so hope no problems, will let you know now. Embassy says my old passport now viod so cut corners off yourself. Hope this is helpful??

Chippy how many days in total did this take??+ the same Uk or Thai bank debit card

Edited by paulmw

Chippy how many days in total did this take??+ the same Uk or Thai bank debit card

Took about 3weeks and was UK debit card. I enquired at British embassy was to 7610 baht at present rate of 49 would have cost £155 or more. There is a special telephone number so suggest you ring them to see if they accept Thai Credir Card.

Took about 3weeks and was UK debit card. I enquired at British embassy was to 7610 baht at present rate of 49 would have cost £155 or more. There is a special telephone number so suggest you ring them to see if they accept Thai Credir Card.

Thanks Chippy , I will look for the special telephone number . :D

Any one else successfully used Hong Kong ? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Please can anyone who has applied for a new British passport in Thailand tell me what they ticked for section 4 of the C1 form where it asks,

"is the previous passport or travel document attached"

If I tick no then I need to answer all sorts of stupid irrelevant questions. But I can’t tick yes as I understand I do not need (or want) to include my present passport with my application when I send it to Hong Kong, so I would be lying if I tick yes.

Thanks, Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I am unclear as to the situation regarding countersigning. If renewing in the UK, you don't need a countersignatory (and certified photo) unless you're sending a new photo because your appearance has changed significantly, but it appears you need one if renewing from Thailand in Hong Kong.

Did anyone who has renewed supply this for Section 9? Or rather, did anyone renew without this?

It looks a bit onerous if you've been in Thailand for less than 2 years and therefore haven't known either a British or Commonwealth citizen for that long (regardless of professional status) and likewise any Thai locals of similar standing for that period of time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i just had to renew mine via HK and apart from the 154 quid bill plus another 20 for DHL it was all very straight forward.

Filled in application from online, filled in CC auth form, photocopy of data page of passport, passport pictures, off to DHL in Patong and the shiny new passport was back in 15 days.

Edited by smartecosse

Please can anyone who has applied for a new British passport in Thailand tell me what they ticked for section 4 of the C1 form where it asks, <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"is the previous passport or travel document attached"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I tick no then I need to answer all sorts of stupid irrelevant questions. But I can’t tick yes as I understand I do not need (or want) to include my present passport with my application when I send it to Hong Kong, so I would be lying if I tick yes.

Thanks, Phil

Interesting Question , can any one please outline what they ticked in their application Form , I'm sure it would be helpful - Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

As I will need to renew my passport soon I thought I would again see if any one has recently

renewed theirs by sending it to Hong Kong from Thailand , and may have some more advice

that they would like to pass on :jap:

Please can anyone who has applied for a new British passport in Thailand tell me what they ticked for section 4 of the C1 form where it asks, <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"is the previous passport or travel document attached"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, Phil

Interesting Question , can any one please outline what they ticked in their application Form , I'm sure it would be helpful - Thanks :)

Yes, I just came up to that and decided to fill out two applications and let the BKK embassy staff decide.

Going up next week so I'll let you know if you didnt find out already.

Just to check, I'm taking:

C1 form

2 photos

Credit card & authorisation form

Current passport plus one photocopy of data page

Any thing else I need?

Thanks

Thanks, Phil

Yes, I just came up to that and decided to fill out two applications and let the BKK embassy staff decide.

C1 form

2 photos

Any thing else I need?

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply , due to not having a Credit card and my Thai bank acting a bit funny with a request for an International Banker’s Draft ( IBD ) payable in Hong Kong Dollars , it was not so much my Thai bank could not issue a IBD but they were not too sure about this

rule .. in brackets ( )

If paying for your passport/courier fees by International Bankers Draft (IBD), this must be made out in Hong Kong Dollars, made payable to 'British Consulate-General Hong Kong'. (You must check that the draft will be accepted by Standard Chartered Bank in Hong Kong.)

So I emailed the British Embassy to check if I could just turn up with my completed application form and photos ( for a passport renewal not a first application ) I received a reply within 24 Hours :o , and I was told yes just bring the paperwork /phot's and if I wanted I could pay them cash Thai Baht's for the application fee Etc . One part of the Embassy reply email that had me wondering was this .

Make sure on your courier envelope you put a phone number so the company (DHL) can call you to check you are in (and find your house) to deliver it to you. The current turn round time is about 4 weeks but hopefully might be quicker.

So I thought I would have to take along with me to the Embassy a DHL envelope with my address all ready filled out on it .

So just to make double sure I did not turn up at the Embassy with some thing missing, to day I telephoned them, and spoke to a very helpful Lady and here's her comments

I have to take the following ..

The completed application form ( C1 )

2 photos that meet the requirements

A photo copy of my passport main page ( showing Photo )

Cash Thai Baht

Current passport

the lady made the following comments ..

If I had made a mess of the application form , the embassy officer

would make out a new application form there and then .

I did not need to take a DHL envelope with me as they have them there .

The main problem that the Embassy get with the applications are not mistakes on the application form

but that the supplied photo does not meet the requirements as shown here ...

The rules for passport photos

The photographs you supply with your application must:

* show you with a neutral expression and your mouth closed (no grinning, frowning or raised eyebrows)

* show you on your own (babies should not have toys or a dummy, and there shouldn’t be other people in the photo)

* be in colour, not black and white

* be identical

* be taken within the last month

* be 45 millimetres high x 35 millimetres wide - this is the standard size when you have a passport photo taken in a photo booth or studio (you should not trim a larger photograph to meet this condition)

* be clear and in sharp focus, with a clear difference between your face and the background

* be taken against a plain cream or plain light grey background

* not show you with red-eye

* be of you facing forward and looking straight at the camera

* not be torn, creased, or marked

* be printed on plain white photographic paper

* be free from shadows

* be taken with your eyes open and clearly visible (no sunglasses or tinted glasses and no hair across your eyes)

* be free from reflection or glare on your glasses, and the frames must not cover your eyes - the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) recommends that, if possible, you remove your glasses

* be professionally printed (photographs printed at home are not likely to be of an acceptable quality)

* show your full head, without any head covering, unless you wear one for religious beliefs or medical reasons

* be taken with nothing covering your face - you should make sure nothing covers the outline of your eyes, nose or mouth

* be a close-up of your head and shoulders with a recommended head height (the distance between the bottom of your chin and the crown of your head) between 29 and 34 mm

* not have any writing on the front or back - except when one of the photos needs to be certified. If there are trademarks or other photographic printing on the back, these must not show through when the photo is scanned by IPS

One final comment made by the Embassy lady was that if I were not going to travel during my passport renewal period , then my passport would be sent to Hong Kong with my application form :unsure:

So it looks as if I will be making the trip soon , but would like to hear how you get on :)

Can someone who has renewed recently clarify the counter-signature on the application and photo.

Is this required for a renewal, or only for first time app?

Hi , I was just going on this ...

Applying in Hong Kong

Does my form need to be countersigned and who is permitted to countersign forms?

This is not normally necessary for any person over 16 renewing a passport. Applications for children under 16 must be countersigned. If you are replacing a passport that has been lost/stolen/damaged or extending a passport with restricted validity, the form must be countersigned. We reserve the right to ask for a countersignature.

from here ... Link Here ...

TL :jap:

Can someone who has renewed recently clarify the counter-signature on the application and photo. Is this required for a renewal, or only for first time app?
Hi , I was just going on this ... Applying in Hong Kong Does my form need to be countersigned and who is permitted to countersign forms? This is not normally necessary for any person over 16 renewing a passport. Applications for children under 16 must be countersigned. If you are replacing a passport that has been lost/stolen/damaged or extending a passport with restricted validity, the form must be countersigned. We reserve the right to ask for a countersignature. from here ... Link Here ... TL :jap:
Nice one, thanks. A better link for this question here Edited by QED

Can someone who has renewed recently clarify the counter-signature on the application and photo. Is this required for a renewal, or only for first time app?
Hi , I was just going on this ... Applying in Hong Kong Does my form need to be countersigned and who is permitted to countersign forms? This is not normally necessary for any person over 16 renewing a passport. Applications for children under 16 must be countersigned. If you are replacing a passport that has been lost/stolen/damaged or extending a passport with restricted validity, the form must be countersigned. We reserve the right to ask for a countersignature. from here ... Link Here ... TL :jap:
Nice one, thanks. A better link for this question here

Hi QED , when I click the link all I get is this ..

Capture-LinkXX.jpg

can you please have a look - Thanks :jap:

TL

Nice one, thanks. A better link for this question here

Hi QED , when I click the link all I get is this ..

Capture-LinkXX.jpg

can you please have a look - Thanks :jap:

TL

The whole website is down right now, just tried the home page

Thanks, Phil

C1 form

2 photos

Any thing else I need?

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply , due to not having a Credit card and my Thai bank acting a bit funny with a request for an International Banker’s Draft ( IBD ) payable in Hong Kong Dollars , it was not so much my Thai bank could not issue a IBD but they were not too sure about this

rule .. in brackets ( )

If paying for your passport/courier fees by International Bankers Draft (IBD), this must be made out in Hong Kong Dollars, made payable to 'British Consulate-General Hong Kong'. (You must check that the draft will be accepted by Standard Chartered Bank in Hong Kong.)

So I emailed the British Embassy to check if I could just turn up with my completed application form and photos ( for a passport renewal not a first application ) I received a reply within 24 Hours :o , and I was told yes just bring the paperwork /phot's and if I wanted I could pay them cash Thai Baht's for the application fee Etc . One part of the Embassy reply email that had me wondering was this .

Make sure on your courier envelope you put a phone number so the company (DHL) can call you to check you are in (and find your house) to deliver it to you. The current turn round time is about 4 weeks but hopefully might be quicker.

So I thought I would have to take along with me to the Embassy a DHL envelope with my address all ready filled out on it .

So just to make double sure I did not turn up at the Embassy with some thing missing, to day I telephoned them, and spoke to a very helpful Lady and here's her comments

I have to take the following ..

The completed application form ( C1 )

2 photos that meet the requirements

A photo copy of my passport main page ( showing Photo )

Cash Thai Baht

Current passport

the lady made the following comments ..

If I had made a mess of the application form , the embassy officer

would make out a new application form there and then .

I did not need to take a DHL envelope with me as they have them there .

The main problem that the Embassy get with the applications are not mistakes on the application form

but that the supplied photo does not meet the requirements as shown here ...

The rules for passport photos

The photographs you supply with your application must:

* show you with a neutral expression and your mouth closed (no grinning, frowning or raised eyebrows)

* show you on your own (babies should not have toys or a dummy, and there shouldn’t be other people in the photo)

* be in colour, not black and white

* be identical

* be taken within the last month

* be 45 millimetres high x 35 millimetres wide - this is the standard size when you have a passport photo taken in a photo booth or studio (you should not trim a larger photograph to meet this condition)

* be clear and in sharp focus, with a clear difference between your face and the background

* be taken against a plain cream or plain light grey background

* not show you with red-eye

* be of you facing forward and looking straight at the camera

* not be torn, creased, or marked

* be printed on plain white photographic paper

* be free from shadows

* be taken with your eyes open and clearly visible (no sunglasses or tinted glasses and no hair across your eyes)

* be free from reflection or glare on your glasses, and the frames must not cover your eyes - the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) recommends that, if possible, you remove your glasses

* be professionally printed (photographs printed at home are not likely to be of an acceptable quality)

* show your full head, without any head covering, unless you wear one for religious beliefs or medical reasons

* be taken with nothing covering your face - you should make sure nothing covers the outline of your eyes, nose or mouth

* be a close-up of your head and shoulders with a recommended head height (the distance between the bottom of your chin and the crown of your head) between 29 and 34 mm

* not have any writing on the front or back - except when one of the photos needs to be certified. If there are trademarks or other photographic printing on the back, these must not show through when the photo is scanned by IPS

One final comment made by the Embassy lady was that if I were not going to travel during my passport renewal period , then my passport would be sent to Hong Kong with my application form :unsure:

So it looks as if I will be making the trip soon , but would like to hear how you get on :)

I arrived yesterday as they re-opened after lunch at 1300. Waited 10 mins and spent 5 mins at the counter.

Tick the box as if current passport IS enclosed and they will forward the photocopy only, the nice lady checks and stamps your photocopy.

I offered cash or credit card, she seemed to prefer Card. No PIN number needed, just sign the slip. No need for Credit Card Authorization form when you pay by card in person.

No need for counter-signature on form or photos.

She said the waiting time is currently 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping that's on the pessimistic side.

Cheers!

Hi dogleg and thanks for getting back with your experiences , its appreciated :jap:

As I don't have a credit card ( only a Debit Card ) I will be paying cash, so fingers crossed and I will report back how my application goes

TL

Edited by ThaiLife

I renewed my passport this way soon after the arrangements changed. I had a UK pal here who could countersign for me and the photo. I took my old water damaged passport to the embassy with an application form and photo and they did the rest. It was expensive but very efficient. They returned my existing passport to me there and then. My new passport was back in Thailand within 8 days. I could tell this from tracking the DHL way bill online. It lay in DHL for 3 days when I phoned and asked when it would be delivered. DHL in Bangkok suggested I might like to travel in from Ratchaburi to Bangkok to collect my consignment! Their only alternative to this was to wait for 4 days when their next service was due to deliver in Ratchaburi! I told them this was uacceptable and told them I wanted the package by the end of the day. AFter some growling ad a few calls to managers I got the passport later that same day. I have to say I was very impressed by how smooth the operation went barring DHL.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it still possible to take the passport renewal application to the British Embassy for them to check it and for them to forward it to Hong Kong (with you paying, obviously)? I've heard that this will soon no longer be possible and you will have to send it to Hong Kong direct, bypassing any involvement from Bangkok completely.

Have answered this before forget which forum, anyhow.

The UK passport site gives you the information you need for renewals.

Here follows my little story.

Went to Chiangmay consulate in April this year, nearest place for me.

The lady there said they do not renew passports as from now we are only here to help you.

She gave me all the forms to fill out with my details and the necessary information etc and put my credit card number for payment.

There is a place where you need a counter-signatory to put there details and signature was wanted on one of the two photos required.

She said anyone can sign it, I grabbed a policeman outside and got him to countersign for me.

She checked my old passport and photocopied it and gave it back to me.

She stuck all the papers in an envelope and it was addressed sending it by DHL to Hong Kong UK Embassy.

I said I don't really want to come all the way back here to collect it would you Thai secure post it to me at my Thai address when it comes back.

She was very helpful in this respect and I paid her in cash for postage.

I received it back in 15 days.

Whatever has change since then I would not know, you can get most information on line or telephone the lady at Chiangmay she speaks better English than I do.

I don't know how strict Hong Kong is with the passport photos, but the London office is very particular. My first set was rejected because the head was slightly too large, and the second set was almost rejected because my glasses were in line with my eyebrows!! (I know this because I was making a personal application).

Suggest you follow the photo instructions assiduously.

It's worth noting that you only send a copy of your passport to Hong Kong if applying from Thailand and you only need to get your form countersigned and a photograph certified if you look very different from the photograph in your most recent passport.