Flights To Uk

Konini

Hello everybody

I know I'm not traveling at the best time of year - leaving BKK late June and returning late July, which is pretty much as high season as it gets, but I've got a wedding to go to and no choice on the dates, give a week or so either way.

Seems that prices are an awful lot higher than last time I was looking - I mean an AWFUL lot higher, even taking into account this is high rather than mid season. Don't really fancy going on an airline I've never heard of more than half a dozen times - has anyone done the research recently (so I don't have to re-invent the wheel) of flying to KL or Singapore and going on from there (won't even consider Air Asia, nice enough planes, but for anything more than a couple of hours, I want a bit of comfort and service and I'm really don't want to end up in Stanstead).

In the meantime, I'll keep hunting, but any recent experiences from TV members would be appreciated would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

June/July is peak season so the prices will be higher, having said that, prices have increased substantially over the past six months or so. Try the Gulf airlines since most of them have some kind of deals on the go, Etihad, Gulf and Emirates are all first class carriers.

Cathay Pacific have flights from BKK to LHR via Hong Kong for 46,000 Bt, it does seem quite high to me and it's about the same as Thai's direct flight.

Buying long haul flights in Thailand always seems expensive to me.

Prices certainly seem to be up now, I think the days of cheap flights are gone forever, and of course there is the old chestnut of flights being more expensive out of Bangkok.

You might consider holding out for flights to come down, but maybe the football World Cup will have an impact on prices, obviously not for the direct flights but for those using the middle east hubs.

Just for fun I looked up a couple of direct and indirect flights, BA and Eva came in at 40,050 and 47,500 respectively, yes BA was cheaper than Eva, and Qatar and Emirates coming in at 37,000 and 43,000, certainly not what I would want to be paying.

What sort of prices are you being quoted?

Some flights are really expensive at the moment due to the recent European volcano thing.(true) Maybe wait a week or two to see if things calm down a bit. Just quoting what they were saying on the news regarding flights.

Some airlines have said that they are pricing their flights out of the market for this month so they can repatriate people back to their home countries. They say they cannot simply withdraw the flights from their system, this probably accounts for the £5,000 flight on Emirates this week.

Flights from the uk. emirates were £5k economy for this week. KLM £2K economy. Its cheaper to go through an agent believe it or not!

KLM

The KLM website currently shows flights from UK to BKK for less than £600 economy.

Flying tomorrow or next week, returning in 4 weeks.

Emirates

Emirates has flights from LHR for less than £600 economy.

Where did you get the £5K and £2K prices from? :)

Im looking for the end of May, KLM, EVE and Thai all around £540 return at the moment where ever you look, i am going to wait a while before i book, as more seats might get released as the knock on affect of the troubles. I really want EVE luxury economy but says the dates i want are full.

Well if you don't mind flying with someone you may not have heard of but get rave reviews then Kingfisher is way the cheapest. The only reason they are coming in cheap is simply that LHR-BKK is a new route for them. Check them out on Airline Equality Here.

If you look at the pics below you can see some indicators of the way flights are going, really helps if you check daily especially during troubled times as cancellations will creep into the system, better yet sign up for email alerts. BTW I removed Jet Airways from the chart since nobody should be forced to fly them :D but if Air Asia didn,t appeal then you wouldn't have liked them anyways.

For what its worth people will soon be looking back on these times and thinking of it as the good old days when it comes to prices. For a variety of reasons fares will be going up evermore steeply, a sub £1000 flight LHR-BKK might seem good value in 3 years time. :)

post-7438-1272109266_thumb.png

post-7438-1272109407_thumb.png

Kingfisher Airways, is that Woollies reincarnated, I've never heard of them before, I must get out more often?

You might want to "get out more often" :D

Then again, the same rating organisation has Qatar as another 5* airline too!!!!! :)

Penkoprod

Thanks for that! I used to fly internationally several times a week for many many years but as I sink further into my retirement years my desire to travel has waned, haven't even left Phuket in the past seven months, wonderful and I don't miss my travelling past at all.

Kingfisher Airways, is that Woollies reincarnated, I've never heard of them before, I must get out more often?

You might want to "get out more often" :D

Then again, the same rating organisation has Qatar as another 5* airline too!!!!! :)

Penkoprod

Actually I wouldn't query the 5* ranking on Qatar, especially relevant at the moment where so many non EU airlines being slammed on this forum, take a look at these reveiews, I'll bet there are a few stranded passengers in Bangkok that wish they were on Qatar.

QATAR AIRWAYS customer review : 22 April 2010 by R Dickson (UK)

Trip Rating : 10/10

Score 10 out of 10

Recommended:

Yes

Value for Money:

Yes

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Flew Economy with Qatar Airways during the Volcanic Ash closures, MEL-DOH-LHR. Boeing 777 spacious (MEL-DOH) more so than A330 (DOH-LHR), and service outstanding. We were delayed in Doha for 5 days while European airspace was closed. The airline accommodated all passengers in hotels, ours was the 5 star Retaj Al-Rayyan across from the Four Seasons. We had full board and access to all facilities, not to mention a free shuttle buses organised to ferry passengers between the hotel and local sights. We were then one of the first flights into the UK, being diverted from Heathrow to Edinburgh, as English airspace was still shut. On arrival at Edinburgh luxury coaches were waiting with each passenger given refreshments of sandwiches, snacks and drink. I couldn't fault the airline in any way, their handling of the situation was indeed 5 star! Qatar will be my preference when flying long haul in the future.

QATAR AIRWAYS customer review : 23 April 2010 by J Rowell (UK)

Trip Rating : 10/10

Score 10 out of 10

Recommended:

Yes

Value for Money:

Yes

Cabin Flown:

Economy

Outward journey to Dubai via Doha was very good, with only an hour turnround the transfer to the second plane went smoothly. Return flight we were held up by the volcano eruption in Iceland - Qatar put us in a 5 star hotel where the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us all. Return flight from Doha we were flying into Edinburgh (to be coached down to Heathrow), but our bonus was Heathrow opened and we were one of the first flights in. Thank you Qatar for all your help and support.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/qatar.htm

Flights from the uk. emirates were £5k economy for this week. KLM £2K economy. Its cheaper to go through an agent believe it or not!

KLM

The KLM website currently shows flights from UK to BKK for less than £600 economy.

Flying tomorrow or next week, returning in 4 weeks.

Emirates

Emirates has flights from LHR for less than £600 economy.

Where did you get the £5K and £2K prices from? :)

prices from friday 23rd. Booking for sunday. I have not checked the web site today as I have a booking already. Booked through an agent and got a KLM flight that was on their web site for £1500 less.

:)

I don't know how many times I've said that on this forum...nobody ever seems to listen.

The last time I flew from Greece to BKK, I went through a local agent here in Greece. I ended up with a Thai flight, direct Athens to Bangkok, which was 200 Euro cheaper than any other flight...including the cheapest ones through Dubai or Qatar...with an 8 hour wait both ways in those flights. yes, this was a special price and a one-time offer by Thai that they offered ONLY THROUGH THEIR TICKET AGENTS but I was glad to save 200 Euro, no matter what the reason was.

Once again...if anybody is listening...Thai International especially does not offer it's lowest prices on-line. They, for whatever reason, will offer their discount and special fares through their associated agents first. That's the way they have always done their business, and that's how they prefer it. So if you have to fly at a certain time...first check with your local agent.

In The UK, there are a lot of discount "bucket" shops who offer discount fares on-line...often with limitations on when you must fly and who you have to fly with. The fares are cheap...but most flights leave out of the UK. That does me no good at all, because the cost of a flight from Athens to Heathrow...not to mention the cost of a hotel in London for at least one night...takes away any savings I get from one of those flights. It is the same in much of Europe.

:D

Thailand to UK flights now are roughly DOUBLE the price of UK-Bangers. :D

25 years ago it (BK) was one of the BEST for bucket shop tics but the markets ..for want of a better word caught up...loadsa money to be made...luvly jubly thai style.

Anyway latest reports from aunty show stranded "refugs"who have been dossing down on Suwannas nice new polished floors for the last 7days trying to escape from what they describe as a nightmare :D

...and damming especially Thai Airways for their lack of assistance.

Local ordinary Thais working at the airport however are being praised for their kindness,understanding and help...as expected -WELL DONE.

Also reports that some punters are paying BIG T Money to immigration/customs /airlines for a seat out....MKJ

Might be better staying put and just have a night out and hope the poo dosnt hit the A/C unit :)

have you tried Kingfisher Airlines, one of the best i have done, better then EVE, Thai Air ect

i have just paid 20 K THB for a return in may with them, stopover in Mumbai for 1 hour

Have you flown with them before Boater? If so how easy is the transfer in Mumbai?

And regarding Qatar being 5* I flew with them biz class last year and these were comfortably the best flights I have ever taken. Much better than Emirates first class imo.

It's a lot more expensive to go from Thailand to the Uk return than the other way around. Who knows why. I put it down to the Thai factor.

For months now, I have been trying to find some resonably priced return flights from Bangkok to London, for a visit to my mother who is getting on in years.

As for booking from here in Chiang Mai or Bangkok, forget it. We are looking at price ranges from £1000 up to £2000 before taxes and other hidden costs and that`s with some crap airline companies with stops in between.

Booking on line via a UK based travel agent is cheaper. Still well overpriced, prices from £750 return plus taxes and starting from £1500 plus taxes for better known airline companies direct flights.

I have no idea what`s going on, it appears the airline companies have us by the short and curlies.

It would be interesting to hear from American members just to see if these price hypes has occured with flights to the USA.

It's a lot more expensive to go from Thailand to the Uk return than the other way around. Who knows why. I put it down to the Thai factor.

For months now, I have been trying to find some resonably priced return flights from Bangkok to London, for a visit to my mother who is getting on in years.

As for booking from here in Chiang Mai or Bangkok, forget it. We are looking at price ranges from £1000 up to £2000 before taxes and other hidden costs and that`s with some crap airline companies with stops in between.

Booking on line via a UK based travel agent is cheaper. Still well overpriced, prices from £750 return plus taxes and starting from £1500 plus taxes for better known airline companies direct flights.

I have no idea what`s going on, it appears the airline companies have us by the short and curlies.

It would be interesting to hear from American members just to see if these price hypes has occured with flights to the USA.

Well if you look back through the posts you'll find Kingfisher for £600 in peak, cheaper outside. You might never have heard of them, others have and they are a 5* airline, not more than half a dozen of those worldwide. If you want direct then there are not that many options so the cost is proportionate. Same thing with USA flights.

Having said that I think you need to change how you look for flights, British Airways BKK-LHR return £740 next month, £900-970 at peak and thats booking direct. Dunno where your pulling up £1500+ from. Do a search on Kayak and give a few days either side of your dates if poss.

Well if you look back through the posts you'll find Kingfisher for £600 in peak, cheaper outside. You might never have heard of them, others have and they are a 5* airline, not more than half a dozen of those worldwide. If you want direct then there are not that many options so the cost is proportionate. Same thing with USA flights.

Having said that I think you need to change how you look for flights, British Airways BKK-LHR return £740 next month, £900-970 at peak and thats booking direct. Dunno where your pulling up £1500+ from. Do a search on Kayak and give a few days either side of your dates if poss.

Thanks for this information, much appreciated.

Will look into this later on today.

I don't know if this is helpful but I had to cancel my trip to the UK due to the volcano. I was going BA. I have just re-booked and Gulf air are almost exactly half the price of BA (this is in business class but I would presume Economy would be the same). I got this through an agent in Bkk.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I'll look at some of the Middle East airlines and Kingfisher, but I had a Eureka moment this morning - I have enough Frequent Flyer points to get to Manchester on Qantas, then I can buy a 12 month return on whoever is offering the cheapest deal, as long as I have the option of changing return date for a reasonable fee according to my plans this time next year.

Why I didn't think of this before is beyond me. I must be getting old.

Thanks again