A Life Threatening Practice

MrE

I sent the letter below to Air Asia. Their response was to explain that there was more legroom at the emergency seats which to them somehow justified their being empty. I would strongly caution anyone flying Air Asia to make sure that those seats are occupied at all times. If not, get another flight.

I recently flew from Phuket to Chiang Mai, Thailand on Air Asia. Being a

security consultant, I always ask that if there is a vacant seat at one of

the Emergency Exits, I be seated there. I did so at the check-in and was

told that the computer assigned seats and they could not be changed.

I asked again upstairs at your sales office and was told the same, and

also that you charge an extra premium for these four seats. I was told

that the flight was not full.

When I got on the aircraft, I asked the flight attendant to seat me in an

Emergency Exit seat if they were not all occupied by fit individuals.

Again I was told that this could not be done as there was an extra charge

and that had to be paid in the airport.

When we took off and landed three of these seats were unoccupied meaning

that 3/8 of the emergency exits would be ineffective in case of a forced

landing or crash. This is at least a breach of international fight safety

standards, if not a violation of the law.

Additionally, for more than half of the flight, all of the flight

attendants were in the aft portion of the aircraft, meaning that had their

been an event, there would have been no one to open the forward hatches so

that a total of 5/8 of the emergency exits would have been inoperable.

I find it inexcuseable that your company puts more emphasis on making a

little bit of extra profit than you do on protecting the lives of your

passengers. If this situation is not corrected immediately, I will take

this to the appropriate goverment officials as well as notifying the press

and general public.

Sincerely,

Elliot Klein

Founder/ Director of Operations (Retired)

Maximum Security Division

Saen Yim Co Ltd

Why didn't you book your seats at the emergency exit when booking your flight earlier? If you book your flight via internet on airasia, you are given an option if you want to pre book your seats or not. Try to save cost eh?

Elliot,

Stop moaning.

You wanted the emergency seats, for which is an extra charge, without paying that extra charge. That did not work, so no you want revenge, and blackmark air asia. very childish behaviour.

Emergency Seat means first to emerge out of the aircraft. Instead of charging extra few bucks for those who want to get out first, why don't they remove the row and put up only one seat at each E-exit and manned by a crew to open it in case of emergency.

I recently flew Korean Air and did not ask for any special seating arrangement. However, at check-in they must have sized me up and asked me if I would sit in a seat by an emergency exit. They then told me about what my responsibilities would be if the plane had an emergency landing and confirmed with me that I agreed to open the door and assist people exit the aircraft. There was no extra charge and in fact they made me feel like I was doing them a great favor.

BB

Elliot,

Stop moaning.

You wanted the emergency seats, for which is an extra charge, without paying that extra charge. That did not work, so no you want revenge, and blackmark air asia. very childish behaviour.

^^^ exactly^^^

You tried to scam you way into those seats, and when it doesn't work and you are all out of excuses you cry 'safety'... everyone has to listen to safety don't they :):D:D ...

If you were really so concerned about your fellow travellers you would have stumped up the 250baht and saved all their souls... 250baht including express boarding... :D:D:D

OK, so maybe Elliot was wrong and maybe Air Asia was wrong, but that doesn't answer the question about international regulations and safety standards.

Just how did AA, on this occasion, comply with the requirement that emergency exit seats were occupied by a fit person who fully understood their responsibilities in the case of an incident? I know that if I have been in these seats on major carriers I have had my obligation full explained.

I recently flew Korean Air and did not ask for any special seating arrangement. However, at check-in they must have sized me up and asked me if I would sit in a seat by an emergency exit. They then told me about what my responsibilities would be if the plane had an emergency landing and confirmed with me that I agreed to open the door and assist people exit the aircraft. There was no extra charge and in fact they made me feel like I was doing them a great favor.

BB

This is what Air Asia has done with me, or the others in those rows, last couple of times I flew with them.

I think also Jet Star.

Although I'm relatively tall, I don't find any problem with normal economy seat pitches, unless there is unnecessary crap under the seat, like a bloody foot rest to bash your shins on, or an entertaiment box, so I never particularly ask for an emergency exit row. I'm happy to rely on the driver to get us to our destination safely.

SC

Sorry but just another tight fisted whingeing farang trying to get out of paying the extra for the seat he wanted. He doesn't exactly explain how an OLD ( retired ) Founder/ Director of Operations (Retired)

Maximum Security Division has anything to do with air safety. By the sound of your title you sound like a self employed supermarket security guard ?

There was a 78 year old geriatric complaining about the opposite as the airline would not let him sit there due to his frailty. :)

Elliot,

Stop moaning.

Well said. Elliot didnt get his way and now he wants to raise all hel_l over it.

Of course seating a geriatric at one of those emergency seats doesnt ensure that it will be opened appropriately during an emergency situation :) . In actual fact, airline guidelines say that all people seated in the exit row seats should be able bodied persons. (Is there something ur not telling us Elliot) :D

I am sure prior to take off and prior to landing that the jump seat at the relative location was occupied by one of the flight attendants.

Edited by neverdie

Sorry but just another tight fisted whingeing farang trying to get out of paying the extra for the seat he wanted. He doesn't exactly explain how an OLD ( retired ) Founder/ Director of Operations (Retired)

Maximum Security Division has anything to do with air safety. By the sound of your title you sound like a self employed supermarket security guard ?

There was a 78 year old geriatric complaining about the opposite as the airline would not let him sit there due to his frailty. :D

:) ....got to be one of our colonial cousin's....Just waiting for this "retired" cr*p to start in the UK " Ernie the fastest milkman in west (Retired)"

Do you think he has a Whistle and a pair of white gloves...

Edited by Soutpeel

No whistles in the UK like here Southpeel. Only a huge Hi-Viz jacket with SECURITY on it in big bold letters and a radio :D People love to give themselves important sounding names in the UK to make their jobs sound more important or exciting. Head of security and operations manager could easily equate to a self employed guy checking the membership cards at the local bingo hall :D:)

If he was that bothered about the safety where is the video of the offence taken on his mobile phone ? :D

Safety in air flight is in details,details make difference between lousy airline and good one.

OP - Mr.E is right,those who ridiculize him should fly on the next crashed flight.(to heaven? or in opposite direction?).Crashes happen any day...

Why does Mr E.K think that he has an automatic right to a prime seat without paying for it.

1 - Check in said NO

2 - Sales office said NO, (unless you pay more).

3 - Flight attendant said NO (unless you pay more).

On the first two of these occasions he seemed unaware that any emergency exit seats were unoccupied, and was just trying to get a better seat without paying for it.

Mr E.K makes reference to the 4 seats and strangely does not mention the 4 rows. Maybe the row occupants preferred centre or aisle seats, they are still required to read the briefing card so that they can still assume responsibility in case of any incident.

Possibly he showed bad or threatening attitude towards the AirAsia staff, quoting his interpretation of the law, persisting to the point of irritation.

Perhaps they even considered his "self important" vigilante style attitude to be a danger to other passengers.

Edited by davee58

Go get em Elliot - you are quite right

Maybe not if the below I found on another forum is true.

"Passengers are not required to be seated in the exit rows. However, any passengers seated in those rows must satisfy certain criteria mandated by Federal air regulations (they must be able-bodied, at least 15 years old).

If there are no passengers in the row, a flight attendant can open the door. If there are passengers in the row, they must be able and willing to assist and must satisfy all the other necessary criteria.

Even if an airline sells you a seat in an exit row, you can't actually be legally seated there unless you meet the regulatory criteria, and it's illegal for the crew to allow you to sit in that row unless the criteria are met. So you could pay for an exit-row seat, and yet be denied seating there when the flight actually boards.

Source.

Federal Air Regulation 121.585"

When we took off and landed three of these seats were unoccupied meaning

that 3/8 of the emergency exits would be ineffective in case of a forced

landing or crash. This is at least a breach of international fight safety

standards, if not a violation of the law.

Maybe not Elliot, if you read above you might see why..

Edited by MB1

I agree MrE

But some people who fly low cost don't expect anything cause they are low cost.

Those are the people airasia love.

Not me, I got same response from a Tiger Air Post.

Don't worry about some replies.

Some thaivisa guys have not been sleeping well

with all the racket the red shirts have been making.

IMO some Thaivisa members only care about the Best or Cheapest

Best Buffet, Best Breakfast, Best Pub, Best Steak, Best Pizza, Best Hamburger, Best Coffee.............

Cheapest Buffet, Cheapest Breakfast, Cheapest Beer, Cheapest Steak, Cheapest Pizza, Cheapest hamburger, Cheapest Coffee.......

Edited by LindsayBKK

I think you are free to take your business elsewhere, yes?

I like exit rows for the extra leg room. If I don't get one, and the doo-doo hits the fan, finding my way to the nearest exit quickly is most assuredly not going to be a problem.

I gauge a good flight by whether or not the number of landings equals the number of take-offs, not by where I sit.

Elliot, if you were so concerned why did you not just pay the Bt250 fee? It is also rather foolish of you to say the doors next to an unoccupied seat could not be opened in an emergency, obviously other passengers or crew would have been able to open them.

Of all the times I've flown in the emergency exit seats I have NEVER once been told that I have any duties regarding the operation of the door.

I was also not aware of any international regulations regarding occupation of those seats. No doubt all this stuff is clearly laid out in the regs but who every gets to read them?

Personally I only like those seats on long haul as I prefer to be able to look out of the window as we are coming in to land. I was once in a center block seat when we touched down a little roughly when I was not expecting it. It provided a good pressure test for my ringpiece. :)

Sounds like you were lucky to escape with your life, Elliot.

It sounds like the kind of complaint someone makes when they have too much time on their hands, and spend it in their Mum's attic watching crash videos.