Hd Tv

gennisis

I have just recieved May copy of the True programs. They are transmitting every world cup game in HD.

I know that I would need to subscribe to their HD channel (HD 111) and get the HD reciever.

do I need a HD TV set??..or will my existing set show the signal,but at normal quality and not at the HD quality.

I have a 6month old Plasma TV set and dont want to buy a new HD set.

Edited by gennisis

If u have a 6 month old plasma , u already have an hdtv !

I bought the set at a time when LCD"s were being touted and got a big discount... 42 Plasma LG for only 21,000 baht....very pleased with it and a great picture.

How do I know if it will handle the HD signal? The instruction book doesnt help me on this.

am guessing that your plasma is a 720p, and that you cant watch hd.

Of course he can watch HD on a 720p screen, not the top of the range, but it will work.

1080i or p will be better.

If you can tell us the make/model number of the TV we can probably help you.

Of course he can watch HD on a 720p screen, not the top of the range, but it will work.

When I bought the set it was heavily reduced ,down from 37K I believe.It was the last they had.

OK ,I;ve spent some time on the internet and it does seem that I can watch the games from True HD channel.

My set is a LG Plasma 42PQ3OR.{f I understand the specs I accessed ,it has a 720 defination picture.Other sites say that this should give me a good picture,not that much worse than if it was a higher defination. I am quite happy with the existing picture but since True are only showing the world cup with a HD signal and the domestic channels 3-5 are not so good,this is why I have my query.

Thanks for your help....it is appreciated.

his question was regarding truevision hd. this is a 1080 signal. so, he cant watch that with a 720 tv.

his question was regarding truevision hd. this is a 1080 signal. so, he cant watch that with a 720 tv.

you sure about that?

As I understand it, a 720 Tv (HD ready) will handle a 1080 signal and simply downscale it.

A full 1080 TV is ideal, but not essential

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

offers some explanation and also the suggestion that currently most HD TV signals are only 720 :)

to keep the bandwidth down.

This is certainly true of UK programmes that I download from the torrents.

Somehow I cannot see TRUE offering the full 1080?

As I understand it, a 720 Tv (HD ready) will handle a 1080 signal and simply downscale it.

A full 1080 TV is ideal, but not essential

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

offers some explanation and also the suggestion that currently most HD TV signals are only 720 :)

to keep the bandwidth down.

This is certainly true of UK programmes that I download from the torrents.

Somehow I cannot see TRUE offering the full 1080?

I have spent some time on the web and from what I have read it does appearthat the set should be able to show the picture.This is explained....as you have said....by downgrading,or manipulating the recieved signalThe set specification does mention a HD connection.

.BUT... unless others over here post that they have similar sucess ......I cant see that TRUE are going to comeout to my house with the nessesary HD box and demonstrate....and no way am I going to pay upfront without a demo on site....and as I said previously I am quite content with my existing picture and only consider this HD option for its convenience for viewing all the World Cup games,although True also claim that the EPL games are going to be transmitted in HD next seaspn.....viewing football is my main TV activity.

Edited by gennisis

All plasma, LCD and LED flat screen TVs will be able to show the picture in HD.

They all have a maximum resolution but that doesn't matter, they will all accept and show a picture through HDMI and in High Definition.

The Truevisions website says you will need a full 1080p HD TV to watch it, which is the usual uninformed nonsense.

All HD resolution TV sets; 1024x768, 1366x768 and 1920x1080 will display HD pictures. Quality may differ depending on the resolution of your set but the difference will be marginal.

They all have a maximum resolution but that doesn't matter, they will all accept and show a picture through HDMI and in High Definition.

The Truevisions website says you will need a full 1080p HD TV to watch it, which is the usual uninformed nonsense.

All HD resolution TV sets; 1024x768, 1366x768 and 1920x1080 will display HD pictures. Quality may differ depending on the resolution of your set but the difference will be marginal.

I frind your post very interesting....in fact it seems to say that any of the TV"s manufactured in the last...say 2 years,can recieve the HD signals.....so by default the manufacturers have been devious in promoting their HD sets when the option is already available to us.???

I frind your post very interesting....in fact it seems to say that any of the TV"s manufactured in the last...say 2 years,can recieve the HD signals.....so by default the manufacturers have been devious in promoting their HD sets when the option is already available to us.???

The only thing manufacturers have been devious in doing is murking the waters between HD Ready (1024x768, 1366x768 resolutions) and Full HD (1920x1080 resolution).

You don't need to have the highest resolution but it will be better when it comes to displaying content presented in full high definition, such as Blu-Ray which is presented in 1080p and 24fps. Lower resolution HD TVs can still display it, it just won't look as crisp or as striking as the better models. Same with Truevisions HD.

HDTV types

HD Ready - HDTV set capable of accepting HD signals (may not be able to display at full resolution 1920x1080)

Full HD - HDTV set capable of accepting HD signals and able to display full resolution at 1920x1080

720p HDTV - another name for HD Ready HDTV

1080p HDTV - another name for Full HD HDTV

Most of the HDTVs today are able to support 720i/720p/1080i/1080p signals. So the single most important spec that we should be looking for when choosing a HDTV is the screen resolution (pixel resolution).

For HD Ready HDTVs which have screen resolution less than 1920x1080, they are less than ideal. This is because if you feed a 1080i/1080p signal to a HD Ready HDTV, this HDTV will scale down the signal resolution to fit its smaller screen resolution. That is to say, you will lose resolution if you use a HD Ready HDTV to display a 1080i/1080p signal.

For Full HD HDTVs, they have screen resolution of 1920x1080, thus, when a 1080i or 1080p signal is feed to it, it is able to display the picture in its full glory at 1920x1080 with no resolution loss.

I hope this clarifies the issue

IW

When I was looking round last year I found that Plasma TV's at cheap prices

were generally only HD Ready (720p)

I ended up with a 40" LCD from Samsung, Full HD.

If you care about these details you need to read the small print very carefully.

IMHO, the bigger the screen, say +50" it does make a difference.

True installing HD at my house this coming weekend.

I am told that it will even improve the picture quality of the regular channels, but we'll see how true that is on Saturday. I'll post my thoughts when its done.

For those who are curious, if you are a platinum subscriber you can get a free upgrade for just the box and pay approx 250 THB a month for the HD programming. However if you sign up in May you get the first two months are free of charge.

Instead of upgrading I opted for a second box which I get for a THB 4000 deposit, plus the additional charge for HD and usual extra outlet fees. (Well worth it if I get to watch the footie in HD and my better half gets to watch whatever she wants!)

Got mine installed yesterday, Truesport HD looks pretty good with the US feeds, sadly HBO HD doesn't look quite as sharp especially with older movies. It can't come close to even 720p downloads and can't hold a candle to blu-ray.

Quite an improvement over the normal picture quality though. Even the other non-HD channels look a little fresher.

The decoder can be set to output 576i/720p/1080i so can be used with all TVs. It has component, HDMI, optical audio, ethernet and USB ports in the back.

Got mine installed yesterday, Truesport HD looks pretty good with the US feeds, sadly HBO HD doesn't look quite as sharp especially with older movies. It can't come close to even 720p downloads and can't hold a candle to blu-ray.

Quite an improvement over the normal picture quality though. Even the other non-HD channels look a little fresher.

The decoder can be set to output 576i/720p/1080i so can be used with all TVs. It has component, HDMI, optical audio, ethernet and USB ports in the back.

Can you hook up a usb hard drive with the decoder and record ? and if not I wonder what the usb is for ?

Well picture quality is much better. HBOHD looks good to me, sports looks brilliant. Im watching in 1080i so don't expect blu ray levels but it sure looks good. Switching between HBOHD and regular HBO (same programming) tells u all you need to know.. its quite simply worlds apart. Other channels (some anyway) look a little better than before, but not that much (well apart from Thai TV which for some reason looks much better).

Prefer the menu system on this box too, it keeps track of the channels that you watch most often so rather than go through the whole list, you can just skip between your favourites. They left a manual in English so will have some more playing to do and will look into the ethernet question and revert shortly. (edit just checked it says the ethernet is reserved for future use, yet the USB2.0 is for external storage devices, but I cant find a record button anywhere.. well not yet at least)

Bottom line, if you have an HD capable TV and you watch sports or HBO, get it. Besides the more of us who do the more channels we can expect later.

Edited by quiksilva