Holiday To Thailand

malct

Hi All

I was suppose to be booking a flight to arrive in BK on the 24th may, but with all the issues and warnings plus travel insuance void, Its made me think twice about going, Only thing is, my girlfriend is upset that i might not go, So looking at my options, emirates are selling flights to BK and they are not saying anything about the troubles in Thailand , If i do go and the airport is closed by the red shirts, What would my boss think if i cant get out of Thailand with knowing about the troubles before hand.

To be honest , I thing they are trying to scare of people from taking a holiday in thailand and the changes of getting killed is remote and more chance of getting killed or injured in the UK.

Well it might be cuba or the dominican for a holiday without the GF unless she can get a flight somewhere else in asia

malc.

Ps, I was held up for a week the last time the airport was closed.

I've booked to go to Bangkok on the 15th May, travel insurance company are umming and ahhing and not giving me a clear answer other than if the FCO advise against all travel (which they aren't) then claims will not be met. I'm trying to get them to tell me one way or the other if I'm covered or not, but I'm still going. I won't be going anywhere near where the red shirts are and I doubt if they'll take over the airport. Even the FCO, who are being over cautious in their warnings in my opinion, have said that the airport is open and their warnings don't apply to people transiting through BKK so, if you're that worried get a connecting flight to Phuket or Koh Samui or somewhere else in Thailand and get your g/f a ticket so she can meet you there.

My g/f is flying down from Chiang Rai, we need to sort some stuff out in Bangkok, (otherwise I'd do what I usually do and just wait in the airport for my connecting flight) three days later we're flying back up to CR.

I think if you make sure you know where you're going and use common sense you'll be fine.

I doubt if the reds will take over the airport, I think they're stuck in their 'encampment'.

If your boss is worried show him/her the FCO web page that says the airport is open and connecting flights are unaffected

# Suvarnabhumi airport is operating as normal. The route to the airport from Bangkok city remains open. For advice about travelling abroad see the local Travel section. FCO advice against all but essential travel does not apply to passengers transiting Bangkok airport on their way to foreign destinations.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living...ceania/thailand

It wouldn't stop me from going but I would choose to stay somewhere else besides Bangkok. There are lots of quiet places in Thailand out of the trouble zones and are much more appealing. I find very little about Bangkok that is appealing. Try Kanchanaburi for a nice, inexpensive holiday. And, Chiang Mai doesn't seem affected in any way.

I highly doubt if the airport will be closed. The red leaders have said they have no plans to do so and the army is guarding all the roads to and from the airport.

Seems to me that if you were held up the last time by political trouble in Bangkok you may already have some idea of how your boss will react? Otherwise, why not ask him his opinion- would be a much surer way to find out than asking anonymous people who don't know him.

You should be VERY concerned about insurance issues and make sure they are clear before you leave. Don't gamble about such an important issue.

I wouldn't recommend coming here right now, actually.

My GF is wanting to go to KhonKaen and i can get a flight with Thai airways for £600 return, But looking for somewhere to relax.

Malc

You can't relax in Khon Kaen? I've not been there so I can't comment, anyway I'd book the flights separately, or at least see if it might be cheaper that way, up to you, as they say, you might not need to save the money :) loads of places you can both fly to from BKK, many of which she wouldn't need a visa for (the ASEAN countries I believe?). Check out Air Asia for destinations from BKK, dirt cheap and for a short flight they're perfect.

The decision to go or not has to be yours, check out all the reports and make your own mind up but I see no reason why you can't find somewhere relaxing in Thailand, or a country nearby, to enjoy some time with your g/f and not get involved in what's going on in Bangkok.

Edited by bifftastic

It wouldn't stop me from going but I would choose to stay somewhere else besides Bangkok. There are lots of quiet places in Thailand out of the trouble zones and are much more appealing. I find very little about Bangkok that is appealing. Try Kanchanaburi for a nice, inexpensive holiday. And, Chiang Mai doesn't seem affected in any way.

I highly doubt if the airport will be closed. The red leaders have said they have no plans to do so and the army is guarding all the roads to and from the airport.

Agree with this except for the Chiang Mai part, a lot of CHiang Mai people are red and there was a red mob there (unsure whether the protest is still going on in chiang mai, but during the beginning of the protest Chiang Mai had a group go take over Sala Klang), there were some bombs going off a couple of weeks ago too.

Other good places other than Bangkok:

Chiang Mai-Not Sure of risks, but still safer than BKK

Good mountain view, rivers, waterfalls, elephant rides palaces (Doi Tung), Temples (Doi Suthep), and the tallest mountain in thailand (Doi INthanon)

To get there i recomend taking a direct flight to Chiang Mai international or buying a ticket from Bkk-Chaing Mai

Kanchana Buri:

Rivers (eg. River Barge Trip is fun), Waterfalls, Elephant rides across rives and a bit into the jungle + Back, Historical Settings/destinations (Death railway, River Kwai Bridge, and WWII Memorial Musuem.

Can get there by car or train, car is approx 3.5, cheap expenses.

Pattaya:

Good Beaches, lots of pubs, extreme sports (bungee, atv, paintball, parasailing, banana boat, jet ski), submarine trip, snorkeling/scuba at near by islands, elephant ride-kanchana buri and chiang mai is better though

Can get there by car about 2 hr trip

Hua Hin:

Good beach, snorkeling/scuba at near by islands, a few palaces that you can visit on the way or when you get there, a lot more peaceful than Pattaya+elephant ride

3 hrs by car

Samui:

Lots of foreigners, good beaches, nice scuba/snorkel and quite a few near by islands to visits, elephant ride, lots of pubs, not sure of other activities though.

Phuket:

Nice beaches, really really good scuba and snorkel, lots of pubs, not as many foreigners as Samai, elephant rides, Phuket Fantasea (theme park+stage show about thai history, really cool with elephants and canons-fun for kids, can check it out here:

http://www.phuket-fantasea.com/)

Went to CM with my family last week. Walking Street, Night Safari, Scorpion Tailed Boat Cruise, Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, shopping, eating, the usual stuff. Apart from some Tuk Tuks and Songtaews flying red flags didn't see a thing out of the ordinary.

with regard to the insurance issue, just got this from my insurance company

Thank you for contacting Insureandgo Insurance Services Ltd. Europ Assistance Holding Ltd (Underwriters) have confirmed that no cover is provided in our travel insurance policies for cancellation or curtailment in relation to the current disturbances in Thailand. In accordance with the current Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice the following exclusions to your travel insurance policy apply:

“Any claim as a result of war, civil war, invasion revolution or similar event”

“Any claim that happens as a result of civil riots, strikes or industrial action “

“Any claim that results from you travelling to a country or an area that the Foreign and Commonwealth office have advised not to go”

However, Europ Assistance Holding Ltd have now confirmed that if you choose to travel to Thailand, despite the advice of the FCO, any claims submitted for instances unrelated to the current civil unrest in Thailand will be considered, but not guaranteed, within your policy terms and conditions.

So it looks like I'm covered for normal stuff like losing my phone or wallet unless it's in the middle of a riot :)