What Book Did You Read

Jai Dee

Now I'm not talking about a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories, as I must admit that much of my reading has been for pure escapism... thrills and spills... just for plain enjoyment... but what did you read that changed your thinking... your life?

My offerings:

1. The Teachings of don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge

- by Carlos Castaneda

2. The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know (A Seth Book)

- by Jane Roberts

What made you really think... about what you are now... and where you could be... and what or who you want to be?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fear and loathing in los vegas by hunter s thompson is a good one, probably not the best one to put under that categorys you just said though.. currently reading Four Hours in My Lai, good book if your into vietnam.. American Psycho also made me think of a few things in life differently, because it does raise a few good points about certain aspects of north american culture, woRD?

Now I'm not talking about a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories, as I must admit that much of my reading has been for pure escapism... thrills and spills... just for plain enjoyment... but what did you read that changed your thinking... your life?

I tend to think our childhoods affect us a lot, so probably some children's books or science books I ran across had the most profound impact.

Of those I can name though, a college text, "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" had the most profound effect on my life! It made me change majors, find a career, get a job, meet my wife, and move to Thailand in the course of about 13 years, now that I think about it. What a book! :o

I tend to think our childhoods affect us a lot, so probably some children's books or science books I ran across had the most profound impact.

Absolutely agree with you on the children's books having the biggest influence.

As a child:-

The Adventure series of books by Willard Price (African Adventure, South Sea Adventure etc.)

As a teenager:-

The Drifters by James Mitchener.

The Dice-Man by Luke Rheinhart.

I suppose another book that had a profound influence on my early to mid life was "CAMRA's Good Beer Guide". However, it's been no bloody use at all since moving to Asia.

:o

Edited by jayenram

I suppose another book that had a profound influence on my early to mid life was "CAMRA's Good Beer Guide". However, it's been no bloody use at all since moving to Asia.

:o

Camra's Bible... Of course that has to be the greatest influence! Someone should write one for Thailand, but I fear it could be very short... :D

I am an oldie (but Goldie?) getting my first degree, in English, over 30 years ago. During my undergraduate years, and after, I must have read thousands of novels. I am still an avid reader although I am gradually beginning to appreciate one of the reported reasons for Hemingway’s suicide: the fact that life slowly becomes unbearable as you realize you may have read all the good books worth reading – well perhaps not quite yet!

Looking back it is obvious to me how many of the novels I thought at the time were of significance, were just reflections of a young man’s need to rebel (Catcher in the Rye), or a desire to escape reality (Lord of the Rings), or even a need to shock (anything by William Burroughs).

Many of the good books, I have academically studied, were in fact very good. For example, Ulysses by Joyce – an undeniable pivotal work in the development of the novel (but, hells teeth, great though most of Ulysses is, there are parts that are pretty boring and are certainly not what I would call a fun read).

Anyway, as it is not my intention to write an essay on the Novel, I suppose I better cut to the chase; although finding 10 has not been as easy as I would have thought. The criteria I have used are these:

• The book, in a major way, must have changed my life

• It must be a book I constantly quote from and refer to in conversation.

• I must have read it at least 3 times

The order is only chronological.

1. The Thirty Nine Steps by John Buchan (its intrigue, excitement and perfect plot is a model for any great thriller. Buchan introduced me, as a ten year old, to a way of life that has been my ideal ever since);

2. Zorba the Greek by Katzanzakis (My first taste of Greece and the Island of Crete. But also my first meeting with the conflicts between the intellectual who unsuccessfully seeks, and the primitive who just by being, feels and finds);

3. The Magus by John Fowles (Greece again, but mystery and magic of the highest class – the first time I read it through in one go, only stopping twice to sleep);

4. Exodus by Leon Uris (told me about my own history and awakened a passion for middle east history);

5. and 6. The Honourable Schoolboy and The Little Drummer Girl by John Le Carré (THS was my introduction to real politic; TLDG extended this with insights into the Gordian knot of the Middle East. Any so called “spy” book by John Le Carré is well worth reading);

7. The Alexandrian Quartet by Lawrence Durrell (the colours and spices of the Mediterranean and Middle East written in some of the best English ever written);

8. The Last Temptation of Christ by Katzanzakis (Christ’s humanity tested as is our own, with results that cement my faith rather than threaten it):

9. Midnights Children by Salman Rushdie (from The Greatest Story to one of the greatest story tellers. This tale of an emerging India and Pakistan is a tale of all our lives and families. A non-put-downable page turner written in superb English);

10. The Journeyer by Gary Jennings (found this book in a lazy Bangkok hotel and discovered America’s best historical writer – who died far too young. Jennings’s account of the life of Marco Polo is the epic account, at once magnificent and delightful, of the greatest real-life adventurer in human history.0

The 'Jennings' series of books when I was about 8 years old.

Taught me to be a nice little boy.

Haven't read anything to make me nice as an older fart.

(Curious though I am, I daren't click on the above Iggi'ed post - I know what it'll be like......same same as having Mephistopheles standing on your porch, banging on your door, yet you still want to open it... :o )

The book byHigh Times on drugs. Can't remember the title exactly but believe it was called "High Times encyclopedia of recreational drugs" or something.

It raised my interest in drugs and experimentation as a result of which I tried to make my own acid. That went allright except for the fact that I came close to insanity followed by 4-5 years of utter misery.

Worst book I ever read :o

Possibly the following;

ALthough in honesty I can´t say that any books have so much changed my life, but all the same, the following have had a profound effect upon me:

Zeno´s Conscience - Zvevo (Italo?)

Book of Illusions - Paul Aster

1984/Animal Farm - George Orwell.

There´s bound to be more...

Can I just ask all those people who have listed books here....

In what way have these books had this impact on your life, how have they changed your life.... ?

Reason i ask is that as an avid bookworm, I can't say that any book has had this kind of impact on my life, maybe one has, and I've just not realised it... :o

totster :D

Reason i ask is that as an avid bookworm, I can't say that any book has had this kind of impact on my life, maybe one has, and I've just not realised it...  :o

totster  :D

It's called the book of love and you're living it :D

In what way have these books had this impact on your life, how have they changed your life.... ?

Reason i ask is that as an avid bookworm, I can't say that any book has had this kind of impact on my life, maybe one has, and I've just not realised it...  :o

I'm curious as to what it is that motivates you to be an avid bookworm if, as you say, no book has consciously had an impact on your life. Why read then?

Have you read any of the books on my list (posting nr.11)?

Not that I expect the same reactions, but it would be interesting to read why you, perhaps, were not affected in some way by these books.

ALthough in honesty I can´t say that any books have so much changed my life, but all the same, the following have had a profound effect upon me:

As earlier stated, I can´t say any have specifically induced me to change my life.

Certain books, however, have encouraged me to prehaps change my outlook on life, helped me to be calmer, induced me to think about others more, etc..etc.. basically encouraged me to be slightly better person than I may otherwise have been. This can be interpreted as "having changed my life" and I wouldn´t disagree, but the changes have been gradual developments, rather than immediate impact type of changes...

I think that makes sense.

Kayo :D (smilie just for you Tots)

PS: A number of books, including the earlier posted as well as most anything by G.Garcia Marquez have induced me to be a tad more poetic, and to appreciate poetry more. This I also see as an advantageous development in my character.

I'm curious as to what it is that motivates you to be an avid bookworm if, as you say, no book has consciously had an impact on your life. Why read then?

Have you read any of the books on my list (posting nr.11)?

Not that I expect the same reactions, but it would be interesting to read why you, perhaps, were not affected in some way by these books.

Thomas... I have not read any of those books you have listed. So I can't comment on them.

Why read..? I read for enjoyment mainly.... with this comes a certain amount of education, depending on what I am reading. But has this had an impact on my life..?

Well, if "impact" means that I have gained some extra knowledge, had some moments of pleasure, then I suppose, yes...

But from reading the posts it seems that people are meaning that a book, or books have had a more profound effect (impact) on their lives... I'm just not sure that I can think of a book that has had this kind of impact on my life, where after reading a book, it has made me think any different about my life in general.

This doesn't mean that I don't form opinions and views based on what I read, but have these opions help shape my life and everyday decisions... I don't think so... If they have, then it has been subconciously.

The reason for me asking how a book has had an impact on someones life is simply to see if I am missing something in my thinking.... maybe some books have had an impact on my life, but I am unaware because I don't know how they have had an impact.

Enough of my ramblings :D

totster :o

Totster,

Have you never felt, upon completing a book, or even upon reading a particular part of a novel (and I´m specifying fictional, recreational novels), a certain sense of sadness/happiness/euphoria, or gained ideas that may have led you to be a calmer person, for example?

I use certain adjectives in the question, but that are interchangeable with any other emotions, if you like.

kayo

I can identify with Totster a little – as another avid reader the question as posed “What Book Did You Read that had the most impact on your life?” was one that left me hanging. It also sorta begs the question for a book on the meaning of life or spiritual rather than fiction. Although read at a life inflection point something like “Darma Bums” or “Catcher in the Rye” could be a catalyst for a change that could set up one of those forks in the road in life. Anyway the question was tough for me but since others have taken the license with several books I’ll do the same but in most cases the great books were by great authors that have several books worth reading.

There are number of authors or books that collectively have given me a greater appreciation, understanding and empathy for the human condition (as well as being wonderful entertainment) For our weaknesses, failed loves and dreams, for enduring human spirit in the face of an unfathomable life – all of that. In this group I’d put Tolstoy, Dickens, Hugo, etc. and modern writers like Saul Below, Richard Russo, John Updike and so on. My life is richer, more complex and more aware of people around me because of them.

There is another group that has gotten me to reconsider my sense of reality – they just leave me feeling less sure of the foundation I sit on. The Teachings of Don Juan would be like this (and this is fiction), or Marquez, Wole Solinka or Derek Wolcolt. Maybe some quality fantasy Lord of the Rings fits here, or Dune – you just believe it exists somewhere, somehow.

There is one book, “Germinal” by Emile Zola, that just changed me on some molecular level that I can’t explain. I was a different person after reading this. This is a profound book.

In the right place, right time, changed my outlook on life category I’d have to put “The Wisdom of Insecurity” by Alan Watts.

Lastly I’ve been on a Thai jag since visiting a few times and then getting a job there (as of later this month it will be “a job here”!). So I’ve been searching TV for recommendations and have read the tour books, “Culture Shock Thailand”, the ever stupid and inane “Private Dancer”, the informative “Thailand Fever”, the great series of essays “Wondering into Thai Culture” and the fiction “Letters from Thailand” and lastly “Jasmine Nights” which I can’t recommend highly enough. All together this has really gotten me to again reconsider so many assumptions about my view points, my perspective, my sense of rightness, of justice, of truth. To realize there is another way to experience this thing we call life.

There you have it – I’ve written a tome when OP just wanted a name of a book…

Where I grew up (pre-teens), we didn't have TV and the radio reception was spotty at best. I read alot of books as there was nothing else to do.

In those early years, I think I read every Louis L'Amour western novel that he wrote. What impact did they have on my ? Well, I didn't run off to be a wild west cowboy, but I did end up trying to emulate the "quiet, independant stranger" that seemed to be the mainstay of his books.

In my teens, there were more books of a different nature. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Drifters, The Dogs of War, Day of the Jackal, Shogun (all 1,210 pages !).

None had an immediate impact on me, but I think the Drifters may have fueled a desire to travel.

Lately I've been working my way through a set of books that came with an encyclpaedia set. The Great Books of the Western World. Works by Homer, Dante, Melbourne, Tolstoy. The Histories of Herodotus (did you know that the Greeks were concerned about baldness over 2,500 years ago ?). Virgil, Copernicus, Plato and so on.

I don't think any one book will change a person just from reading it, but over the course of time, your character may undergo subtle changes as a result of having read that book (or books).

Oh yeah, then there was PLAYBOY ! (not a book, but wow ! The "articles" were stimulating ! :o )

There you have it – I’ve written a tome when OP just wanted a name of a book…

No... no apologies please... this is exactly the type of response I had in mind when I first posted the topic... thank you very much. :o

The responses on the thread to date have not (in general) been so much of a spiritual nature... something that prompts you to examine yourself and perhaps alter your perspective on things.... :D

Reading for pure enjoyment is one thing, but reading to learn more, a hunger for knowledge, a nagging feeling that maybe sub-conscious related... something that you think you should already know about... and maybe a writer has penned the very words that you've been searching for. :D

That's the type of response I was trying to elicit from the forum. :D

I posted earlier about the books I read:-

The Adventure series of books by Willard Price was about two teenagers that traveled the world collecting animals for their father. I read these when I was 6 to 8 years old. They showed me that there was a big, wide world out there that was full of adventure. They awakened in me the urge to travel and see the world.

I listed The Drifters by James Mitchener which I read when I was 18. This book showed me that it was possible to travel and that people actually did travel, and it didn't cost the earth.

I also listed the Dice-man by Luke Rheinhart which I also read when I was 18 or, 19. This book showed me that you could appear to be anything you wanted to other people, even if it wasn't the real you. This book cured me of my shyness.

I never used to be a big fan of reading books - always more of a television addict. However, in the last few years I have gone through a phase of devouring popular fiction by writers such as Robert Ludlum, Michael Crichton, Ben Elton, Dan Brown etc. However, I have also taken the opportunity to catch-up on some of the modern classics that I missed over the years:

Catcher in the Rye

The Great Gatsby

Brighton Rock

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Catch 22

etc...

Whilst all the books have been interesting and have undoubtedly broadened my knowledge, I don’t think that they have had any profound effect upon my life.

Although having said that, I must admit that the storyline of George Orwell’s Animal Farm does always stick in my mind – and the scary thing is that once you have read it, you can see the same theme being played-out all over the world!

Reading has made me more tolerant and accepting of other people, but I have never been profoundly changed by anything I have read.

I definitely do recognize that sense of euphoria, melancholy, sadness or fulfillment you sometimes get upon ending a really great book... but at the end of the day, after my thoughts have stopped spinning, I have always come out the same person afterwards, perhaps with a slightly changed perspective on an issue and with more knowledge about this or that, but never fundamentally different.

I have found that some of the classics really work for me, and that others don't.

Had heard a lot about Catcher in the Rye so I read it two months ago, but it left me cold. Maybe because I read it so late in life instead of at age 16-19 where it might have been easier to identify with the main character.

I couldn't hack War and Peace by Tolstoy - far too many characters and names to keep track of.

I really enjoyed 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostojevsky though. Great insight into the mind of a criminal.

'Lord of the Rings' I read the first time when I was 7, and I went back to it altogether 11 times, the last three times I read the original English text and not the Swedish translation. It has definitely affected my imagination.

'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac was my first stab at reading a more fluid, experimental style of writing, and it got me interested in poetry and led on to Walt Whitman, Carl Sandburg, Ezra Pound and T.S. Eliot.

'The Master and Margarita' by Michail Bulgakov is a great book as well, probably the one I like the best of the Russian authors I have read.

For enjoyment and not so much as food for thought, I really liked 'Trainspotting' by Welsh, as well as 'The Beach' and 'The Tesseract' by Alex Garland.

'Wild Swans' was also a very interesting book for anyone who's interested in the history of Modern China.

...and I shouldn't forget 'The God of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy. She writes the most beautiful English prose I have ever read.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

I'm sure there were many books that had some impact on my life, but the ones I remember now are:

Casino Royale - because together with the early Bond movies and books it made me determined to get out of my miserable home town (as soon as I was grown up!) and travel to exotic places with beautiful women and a touch of danger (sound familiar?).

Lord of the Rings - because I read it while hitchhiking through Germany and Austria, and sleeping under the stars, on the Hippie Trail to India.

Narrow Road to the Deep North by Basho - because it got me interested in Japan, although I didn't get to go there until 30 years later.

The Hot Zone and The Cobra Event by Richard Preston - because they got me back into reading after years of not bothering.

First Light by Richard Preston and all of Carl Sagan's books - because they got me seriously interested in science.

The Mind and the Way by Ajahn Summedho - because it got me interested in Buddhism.