Bars Closing

neilf

i think we all expect quite a lot of bars to close down now ----------easy to see why ie. lack of visitors with no ins and 48 odd to the pound if they make it and effects upon residents here of baht to pound rate.

i wonder if other people are noticing this---------

boscos has gone it appears

the small bar called " bar open " between chaiapruk and wat boon that did good food seems to be closed

winchester club closed at 10 at night and maggie mays had 1 customer at just after 10 at night

any others lads

many now close early-----------not just low season

Yes, things must be bad and will get worse.

As for the Winchester when the Second road is finished down to there it should do quite well, when they knock down the wall at JBC it will be my local :)

quote the small bar called " bar open " between chaiapruk and wat boon that did good food seems to be closed"

Maybe they just changed the Name to "bar closed" ? :)

I was at Soi Whitehouse some nights ago and it was dead, can not remember that Soi so quiet ever.

that means it's a good time to buy a bar beer or condo , right ?

:)

bad time to buy bar beer--------prices gone up

bad time to buy beer bar--------no customers long time

good time to buy condo / house ------prices down

this place was built on cash----------its dried up and will get worse and possibly never be the same again

quote the small bar called " bar open " between chaiapruk and wat boon that did good food seems to be closed"

Maybe they just changed the Name to "bar closed" ? :D

I was at Soi Whitehouse some nights ago and it was dead, can not remember that Soi so quiet ever.

Glad to see someone else uses Soi Whitehouse as a Yardstick / unit of measure...for tourist numbers. I've down the same for the last 3 years.

Just like Wales when they talk about deforestation in the Amazon Jungle...or large icebergs.... :)

If Soi Whitehose is dead...then Pattaya has barely got a pulse..... :D

Dunno...I mean, not everyone who lives or visits Pattaya is from the UK. Many are from the Continent, Australia, Canada, and around Asia, where their currencies are doing fine vis-a-vis the baht.

Even with my shrunken US$s, the fact my stock portfolio has doubled in the past 15 months means I don't have to skimp on much (new 55" plasma likely next purchase) so everyone's situation is unique.

Agree that all tourism related businesses are suffering terribly but likely now due to the political situation more than the economic one. Just makes the drink and meal specials even cheaper for those who live here :)

To add to the list of bar closures:

Only 3 bars reamin open in the complex at the corner of soi 9 and 2nd Road. Three bars closed from the corner of soi 8 and Beach Road going south.

However more and more bars seem to be opening in the Walking Street area (The Cavern is due to open next week), so maybe not all doom and gloom.

I think everyone is at a new bar in Jomtien. It was totally packed last night. Selling beer at 40 baht all day and night, and NO BAR FINES. That's why all the other bars are empty. It's called Lovejoy's, just by Hanuman corner in Jomtien.

Did a drive down Suk today. It was PACKED! I know it is labor day...but the Thais seem to be fleeing Bangkok. Hundreds of cars going in and out of the Ambassador. Went to restaurants near Baan Amphur and they were packed last night. Foreign tourists may be gone, but Thai tourists seem to be way up.

Dunno...I mean, not everyone who lives or visits Pattaya is from the UK. Many are from the Continent, Australia, Canada, and around Asia, where their currencies are doing fine vis-a-vis the baht.

Even with my shrunken US$s, the fact my stock portfolio has doubled in the past 15 months means I don't have to skimp on much (new 55" plasma likely next purchase) so everyone's situation is unique.

Agree that all tourism related businesses are suffering terribly but likely now due to the political situation more than the economic one. Just makes the drink and meal specials even cheaper for those who live here :)

all top hotels in Pattaya are booked out due to the problems in BKK.

Did a drive down Suk today. It was PACKED! I know it is labor day...but the Thais seem to be fleeing Bangkok. Hundreds of cars going in and out of the Ambassador. Went to restaurants near Baan Amphur and they were packed last night. Foreign tourists may be gone, but Thai tourists seem to be way up.

Agreed...traffic was horrific around town today :) I forgot it was May Day weekend and that may have had something to do with it. I also agree with Naum that anyone who can probably wants to spend the least amount of time as necessary in Bangkok and that most weekends, until the troubles are over, Pattaya and the Eastern Seaboard will be packed with Thais who just want to get away from it all.

At least that's some good news for the innkeepers and restaurateurs :D

Edited by FarangBuddha

i think we all expect quite a lot of bars to close down now ----------easy to see why ie. lack of visitors with no ins and 48 odd to the pound if they make it and effects upon residents here of baht to pound rate.

Makes you wonder how they ever survived when the rate was 38 to the Quid, 25 to the $?

Makes you wonder how they ever survived when the rate was 38 to the Quid, 25 to the $?

Not really, at the time that was the exchange rate and people knew what they were getting before they arrived. After a period of much higher rates many have never known those lower rates and have now experienced a serious loss of capital having planned their lives/retirements at the higher levels.

Not really, at the time that was the exchange rate and people knew what they were getting before they arrived. After a period of much higher rates many have never known those lower rates and have now experienced a serious loss of capital having planned their lives/retirements at the higher levels.

And now it's being kept a secret?

And now it's being kept a secret?

No people have been here a number of years during which time it was a lot higher and are now feeling the pinch.

Are you referring to the early 90s?

Back then things were a lot cheaper. You'd have to get 90 bht to the pound now to be able to afford the same standard of living on the same number of quid.

I've been saying for years that I can't understand how so many bars can afford to stay open with so few customers, so nothing new there.

Are you referring to the early 90s?

Back then things were a lot cheaper. You'd have to get 90 bht to the pound now to be able to afford the same standard of living on the same number of quid.

I've been saying for years that I can't understand how so many bars can afford to stay open with so few customers, so nothing new there.

The hel_l they were, in real terms things are about the same now as then.

I was in Thailand '92 onwards and if you think you need 90 to the pound to achieve the same lifestyle you are dreaming or you let your standard of living expand to match the exchange rate.

The big thing is that back then there wasn't all the western retail outlets to drain your pocket.

Coming back to the bars, yes there will be a significant cull in the coming months but they will bounce back once those in power realise that shopping malls do not entice people to fly halfway round the world.

I don't know about the current situation in Pattaya but in BKK, Soi CowBoy is packed up with foreigners in every corner and my plane coming from the EU was full up too.....

I don't know about the current situation in Pattaya but in BKK, Soi CowBoy is packed up with foreigners in every corner and my plane coming from the EU was full up too.....

how s your Travel insurance company doing..?

With the FCOs WARNING many TICs will not cover you and will make excuses like Force M...Ax of Gods ..etc....anything to AVOID paying out if you get smashed up ot fallover...ouch..

Gotta book for June so will check with our "Columbus"...actually already have ...but they not sure ...

ready to subscribe again for the year but...will they ...or wont they...?.. :)

The soapdodgers are but a mere drop in the Ocean in relation to the vast amount of visitors to Pattaya,

what b/s**t ..wouldnt call them all soapdodgers either wh do u you think you are ? .the vast amount of guys visiting pattaya are going there for two things in mind sex and beer bars, the hi so visitors and families prefer to sit in their hotels at night and not venture out to the lady bars

Soi Cowboy is where the BKK expats drink and there is a lot of them.Planes are full as they are still ferrying passengers held up from the volcano