Rate Of Consumer Horrors In Pattaya (thailand)

Jingthing

As someone else mentioned, it may be worth taking the time to inspect our purchases closely to make sure the usual Pattaya riff raft hasn't stuck his nose in it beforehand.

The way you're talking you'd think that Pattaya is the only place in the world where one must watch out for "riff raft" and their shenanigans.

Most products come with a warning to not accept if seal is broken. I knew about that long before I'd ever set foot in Thailand. It's the reason why they have seals.

As someone else mentioned, it may be worth taking the time to inspect our purchases closely to make sure the usual Pattaya riff raft hasn't stuck his nose in it beforehand.

The way you're talking you'd think that Pattaya is the only place in the world where one must watch out for "riff raft" and their shenanigans.

Most products come with a warning to not accept if seal is broken. I knew about that long before I'd ever set foot in Thailand. It's the reason why they have seals.

What is the "Riff Raft" the slow boat to Koh Larn?

Not strictly on topic, but don't you hate it when some dumb farang goes through the fast channel ( 10 item limit ) in the supermarket with 15 items ( yes, you know who you are! ).

Think you're being a bit tough on the returns trouble. Happens even in the so called 'first world" - "I can't replace that, but come back tomorrow and ask the manager" Yeah right- you just lost a customer forever!

• 2 months later...

Thought I would update some minor horrors on the same thread ...

Tonight, ate at Kiss Soi Diana. Overcharged 40 baht in a blatant, obvious scam. How do I know? The way the girl reacted when I called her on it. I suspect they are doing this a lot, if you care.

Then on to Villa. Bought an item clearly marked 369 baht at the point of purchase. Left the store and looked at the slip, was charged 399 baht (which came off the bar code). I didn't complain. Why? Because I still wanted the item and am pretty sure they would only say, sorry the label was wrong.

Another day in paradise, ha ha.

Some people still tip after they have paid a 10% service fee with their bill

I've heard that often the service fee is not given to the staff, so I still tip. I'm not positive how frequent owner's keep the 10% surcharge. Does anyone know?