Petrol Price

toybits

While our attention was fixed on the on-going unrest in downtown Bkk, nobody seems to have taken notice of the increase in petrol prices. I now use a motorbike more often because the price of petrol has just gone through the roof. Even diesel is now over 30 baht per liter at Chiang Rai.

It actually jumped up 60 satang for Songkran, then came back down.

The cost of oil contributes 45-55 % of the cost of refined gasoline.  So while oil prices have climbed, this is partially offset by the strengthening of the baht against the dollar, the most used currency in oil purchases.

No matter how you calculate the figures, the rise in prices over the last 4 or 5 months cannot be accounted for by merely the rise cost for a barrel of crude.

Not sure how to post this as a link, or even if I'm allowed to, but this site details the price of petrol at the pumps dating back to 1997.

www.pttplc.com/en/news-energy-fact-oil-price-bangkok.aspx?

taninthai

re .... thailand 91 = 39 baht

ugggh ????? ... when and where did you get 91 @ 39 baht a litre ?

coz this picture taken in chiang mai on 8 april 10 says different

just interested .... dave2 : )

CNG ( Compressed Natural Gas ) 8.50 ฿ per kg, stable... :)

Yeah...I notice those high petrol prices every time I drive past them on my way to the NGV pump to fill my car for 150 baht.

All I will say is "som nom na!"

In saudi the price is 91 for 3.96 baht/liter

Just heard on the news that in Alaska they are paying $10/gallon approx 89 baht/liter in some town they get fuel by barge and the winter supply has already started running out and the rivers are still frozen!!!!!

Yeah...I notice those high petrol prices every time I drive past them on my way to the NGV pump to fill my car for 150 baht.

Sadly, not every car is convertible to NGV

Slightly off-topic, but how many km's can you drive on a fill-up?  And did the conversion take up your whole trunk?  I am just curious as I have been considering a conversion myself.

Slightly off-topic, but how many km's can you drive on a fill-up? And did the conversion take up your whole trunk? I am just curious as I have been considering a conversion myself.

Car is a Toyota Altis. Got the big tank (100kg total weight holds 21kg of NGV). Takes up half of the trunk. Still more than enough room to spend 5000 baht at Lotus or Macro and bring it all home. Only time it is ever a problem is with very large suitcases going to the airport.

I get 350km to 380km on a full tank on the highway when driven at best economy speed between 97 - 101 kph and tires inflated to 38 psi.

Your mileage may vary. I've had my conversion for 4 years now and it has paid for itself many times over.

taninthai

re .... thailand 91 = 39 baht

ugggh ????? ... when and where did you get 91 @ 39 baht a litre ?

coz this picture taken in chiang mai on 8 april 10 says different

just interested .... dave2 : )

ao nang krabi 2 days ago 39 bht this is the usual price in your picture thats gasohol which most people prefer not to use

Edited by taninthai

taninthai.

re .... ao nang krabi 2 days ago 39 bht this is the usual price .... ok thanks for that .

but re ... in your picture thats gasohol which most people prefer not to use

is it ? i didnt know that !

i put 91 gas in my dream and it goes fine.

anyway heres yesterdays gas prices in chiang mai

enjoy .... dave2

The petrol stations in CM have diesel at 30.64/liter, with the exception of Shell. They say they are more expensive due to the additive they put on diesel to keep your injectors clean, etc. The auto dealers used to sell a additive (imported from Australia) to do this, when added to fuel tank, but seem to have discontinued stocking it. Diesel treatment which they do offer is meant for a tank of fuel which may sit for some time (months) prior to its use. A seldom used gen set, etc, would be a good candidate for its use, as diesel can jel up if left in a tank for extended time.

Why fuel prices have not come down with oil over past week or so is any ones guess. I am sure the Thai refiners, fuel wholesale companies, etc could and would give lots of double talk to cover up the desire to increase the bottom line for the quarter.

My LPG is fine thanks. Stable prices :) 12.5 Baht for LPG and I've not put petrol in the tank for 6 months.

I did a visa run yesterday. Mountain driving was 1.85 Baht Km and normal road driving was 1.5 Baht Km. (Filled up before and after the mountain run for the calculation).

2 litre engine and not exactly driving sedately as I got a speeding ticket AND official receipt 200 Baht fine for 123 kmph.

Not sure how that equates to petrol consumption and prices but the figures per km must be a good guide.

• 2 weeks later...

Oil price below 70/bbl which is down 15dollar in past couple weeks, fuel prices in CM have dropped about 1 baht/liter during this time. Granted the govt has been busy but the watch dog committee on fuel prices must have gone on extended holiday, or worse.

• 2 months later...

Just some rough, quick calculation. Oil price at 75.USD a barrel

One barrel oil will give up about 114 liter of gasoline/diesel, based on 30 gallon recovery/bbl

Diesel/gasoline average price in Thailand over 30 baht/liter equals 1 USD/liter

tax is about 5 baht/liter

Fuel charge at pump, less tax figures out to about 96 USD/bbl

This still leave the value of the other products refined from a bbl of oil, which is substantial.

The fuel price oversight committee set up several months ago must be assigned to inactive duty. PTT seems to set prices, they also refine product, their profit picture must be out of sight with mark ups like this.

The playing field is, as you say, the same, its the the rules of engagement (price to consumer) that seem a tad slanted. But when there is no competition, and there is a built in avenue for price fixing, we should not expect less.