What Tv Package Do You Recommend

patrickinpattaya

There really are no alternates its either UBC or real cheap shyt or the pirated systems which we can not discusses on this form. UBC has the only authorized satellite system in Thailand. With the rumors fly in all around about the demise of multichoice/super sports this month I would be very leery about investing in this system until it is proven true or false.

Edited by gotlost

Allot of people seem to Dislike Ubc, I enjoy it to be honest and is allot better then cable.1,500 per month which isnt that Bad in my Humble opinion.

The have the rights to the English premier league, Spanish, German Italian, and show a fair few matches from scotland and Holland.

And will continue to do so for a long time.Super sports may finish on cable Tv soon so the only option then will be Ubc, or streams from the net which are not great.

Edited by SUPERIOR

True (UBC) is perfectly fine with me. I think only those guys want 200 channels of only the types of programs they enjoy bitch about True, which obviously has to serve a wide variety of audiences and tastes. The Gold package is about 1,500 baht and I add on 3 HBO channels to a pittance of 150 baht more a month.

The Platinum package has a few more channels, but unless you want something on one of them -- American Idol or Glee being the two biggest draws -- or the extra sports channels, it's not really worth it.

In Pattaya, you've got Sophon and Banglamung Cable and both are bare minimum. Cheap, though. About 300 baht a month.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

In Pattaya we also have TMN (Tipmanee) as another cable alternative. Costs around 300 Baht per month and is considerably better than BTV, in my opinion and I have tried both. 92 channels that include all the usual stuff, even if 75% are in Thai only. The missus likes TMN as there are loads of dodgy soap offerings. Plenty of cartoons for the kids too (and me).

Not sure if you can get TMN in Pattaya City - may only be available 'darkside'.

I have noticed very recently that we have started to lose channels but I believe that this is because DSTV Africa are changing their satellite channel allocations and the problem will affect all of the 'cheapo' cable providers. Sky News has disappeared, which is a pity and one of the English movie channels (MNet2) seems to have been replaced with Canal Plus, which is OK if you speak French, I suppose. There may be other changes that I haven't picked up on yet.

DM

UBC is crap... I just dropped them because of poor program selection. They have all of these packages, but then other "good" channels are not included. They also have other BS like a good sports channel on their Silver package and their Platinum package but not on Gold. When I called to tell them to drop my service they gave me 3 months of a discount so I was getting Platinum for the price of Gold. After the 3 months, they wanted to raise the price back up and I told them "Good Bye".

NOT WORTH IT...

True is about the only legal choice if you speak primarily English and especially if you are a westerner from North America. We have distinct differences in our viewing choices from our ancestors in the "Old" world. I have True Platinum and enjoy what I get. Is it perfect programming? No, but it is better than nothing and that's what I would have if I did not subscribe to Truevisions. I am a TV addict. In the evenings I spend the prime time hours watching something that entertains me.

We all have our preferences and I wish True had more programming choices and hopefully in time they will add more choices.

Its really the only game in town ,its just unfortunate that all their programms are American imports ,which in the main are dross(sorry yanks) pity they didnt have more brit series ,by the way we have platinum and watch a lot of the brit series on u tube.

True (UBC) is perfectly fine with me. I think only those guys want 200 channels of only the types of programs they enjoy bitch about True, which obviously has to serve a wide variety of audiences and tastes. The Gold package is about 1,500 baht and I add on 3 HBO channels to a pittance of 150 baht more a month.

The Platinum package has a few more channels, but unless you want something on one of them -- American Idol or Glee being the two biggest draws -- or the extra sports channels, it's not really worth it.

In Pattaya, you've got Sophon and Banglamung Cable and both are bare minimum. Cheap, though. About 300 baht a month.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

Sorry but if you think UBC is "perfectly fine" you need a new LCD/Plasma TV and/or new glasses. It's pixellated out of all proportions, mono sound, quality on par with Sophon Cable.

Allot of people seem to Dislike Ubc, I enjoy it to be honest and is allot better then cable.1,500 per month which isnt that Bad in my Humble opinion.

The have the rights to the English premier league, Spanish, German Italian, and show a fair few matches from scotland and Holland.

And will continue to do so for a long time.Super sports may finish on cable Tv soon so the only option then will be Ubc, or streams from the net which are not great.

Not bad for Thailand as it's the only player but exactly the same service is US$3 (100 Baht) a month in Viet Nam.

I pay 1500 a month for the Gold package, and have made enquiries about the HD package, primarily for the World Cup coverage. I understand that the normal True picture is not exactly good quality, but I have high hopes for the HD. I was quoted the following prices, 4,000 Baht for the HD receiver, cables and remote, this is a one off payment, then an additional 290 Baht a month on top of my current 1,500. Considering there are currently only 2 HD Channels planned, this compares badly with a U.K. Sky HD Package which gets you 37 HD Channels and Broadband. I know that T.I.T. and you can't compare apples to oranges, so I am still considering the offer in the hope that maybe later more HD Channels will be added at no additional costs if I accept the deal now.

Incidentally, this was the price quoted for my house in Rayong, not sure if the same price structure applies to Pattaya, there may be a 'falang' tax added.

After having True/UBC for a year at 1500bht a month I finally found the easy way to do TV

A good internet connection, 1mb will be fine (600bht a month), a computer with U-torrent and just download TV series from EZTV

Other sources offer movies and sports.

Thanks for the info guy's looks like UBC is the way to go. Are there many english speaking channels on Sophon and Banglamung Cable?

Not many on Sophon, although I maintain my Sophon in Pattaya in conjunction with True/UBC just for the cricket coverage.

The beauty? of True/UBC is that many channels are dual language so when you are not in the house your tilac can enjoy the Cartoon Channel in Thai!

True is about the only legal choice if you speak primarily English and especially if you are a westerner from North America.

I was wondering about this statement. What do you mean by the only "legal" choice?

I agree with the poster about TMN (Thipmanee) cable being good quality. However it lacks SO much like Natgeo, etc. It is FILLED with Thai channels. Too bad the owner of the company is such an *ss.

Is anyone on this forum using big dish satellite? What service and packages?

Search this forum for the words <ahem...> and you may find lots of threads discussing alternatives that aren't quite legal.

...that's why we do not discuss them here, right? :)

Edited by raro

• 2 weeks later...

All my True channels disappeared last Friday 'curently scrambled' the screen said, I thought at the time maybe it was to do with the protests in Bangkok, so I didn't think too much of it, anyway still cut off on Sunday so I went to the UBC place opposite Carrefour yesterday to ask about getting someone round to check it out. 'No hab service' said the lady in the shop, but recommends I disconnect my machine and take it to a shop named 'Amorn' in Tukcom, &lt;deleted&gt;? What sort of customer service is that? I enquired about the HD service and was told 4,000 Baht, despite having the box installed in my Rayong house for 2,000 Baht.

So, had to call the wife in Rayong to try and sort something out, and she checked and it transpires that because I got her to sort out the original installation from the True Visions Rayong office, when we changed the receiver in Rayong to HD some bright spark in the Rayong office went on the computer and 'cut off' the service for the non HD Gold Package, not realising it would affect the Pattaya house, doh!

Anyway, it will be sorted tomorrow as the wife has arranged both herself and True to drive up from Rayong and change out the receiver to an HD one in Pattaya, cost 2,000 Baht, so World Cup in HD here we come, now in both my houses!

But, if you go to the True/UBC shop in Pattaya Klang don't expect to get good service, only installation.

In Pattaya we also have TMN (Tipmanee) as another cable alternative. Costs around 300 Baht per month and is considerably better than BTV, in my opinion and I have tried both. 92 channels that include all the usual stuff, even if 75% are in Thai only. The missus likes TMN as there are loads of dodgy soap offerings. Plenty of cartoons for the kids too (and me).

Not sure if you can get TMN in Pattaya City - may only be available 'darkside'.

I have noticed very recently that we have started to lose channels but I believe that this is because DSTV Africa are changing their satellite channel allocations and the problem will affect all of the 'cheapo' cable providers. Sky News has disappeared, which is a pity and one of the English movie channels (MNet2) seems to have been replaced with Canal Plus, which is OK if you speak French, I suppose. There may be other changes that I haven't picked up on yet.

DM

Well now I live on the darkside and I am watching Sky news as we speak. And have just flicked on to Mnet 1 and Mnet 2 and they are still there. But you have to be on the darkside to get TMN.

I have to say we did loose Sky News and one Mnet channel about three weeks ago but all is well now.

I did have UBC but got sick of the repeats TMN is good value for money at 300 baht ber month.

begs

Don't bother, get a decent broadband package instead, then download, youtube, sky-player, BBC iplayer or use rapidshare to watch what you want all in HD

I use rapidshare all the time and get loads of UK TV but how do you use BBC iplayer, it says service unavailable in this country

With the condo feed for the Thai stuff and rapidshare for everything else in HD I get more than I can watch, total cost around 1100 baht p/m

• 1 month later...

For reasons I keep being reminded we're not allowed to discuss here, satellite TV is currently not an option for me.

I have two options for cable, Sophon and TMN. Which is least crappy? I'm mostly after English language news channels and stuff like Nat Geo and Discovery.

Edit for making the question a bit more specific:

To those who have Sophon & TMN: Please, would you mind listing the English language channels you have + eventually stuff like Nat Geo and/or Discovery (but afaik none of them show anything like that, prolly would cause the Thai viewers to think too mutt)

Edited by Phil Conners

For reasons I keep being reminded we're not allowed to discuss here, satellite TV is currently not an option for me.

I have two options for cable, Sophon and TMN. Which is least crappy? I'm mostly after English language news channels and stuff like Nat Geo and Discovery.

To those who have Sophon & TMN: Please, would you mind listing the English language channels you have + eventually stuff like Nat Geo and/or Discovery (but afaik none of them show anything like that, prolly would cause the Thai viewers to think too mutt)

Uhm, just from my memory:

SVT (Scandinavian TV), BVN (Belgium-Dutch), Bllomberg, DW (German), BIO (a discovery like channel), some Astro Sport channels, Euro Sport, TV5 Asia (French), some Arabic-language channels, Al Jazeera, TRT (Turkish), some Russian language channels, BBC World-Asia, there are more, but I can't open www.tmncabletv.com at the moment.

My location: Naklua Road between Soi 13 and 11.

Edited by farangpattaya

Hi Phil,

You are right no English Nat Geo or Discovery, but their are a couple of what I call Nature channels in Thai. Here are some of the English channels on Sophon:

News/Business: Bloomberg Tv, BBC International, Aljazeera, Channel News Asia, Fox News, Pattaya People News Televison.

Some channels offer a combination of news,business news and entertainment/documentary/nature features: Australia Network, NHK World (programs are a mixture of English and Japanese. Also KBS World same a mixture of English and Korean.

Sports: Eurosport, 2 astro Supersport channels

Movies: 3 Movies channels in English. You can view or download a program guide for the movies at :www.pattayamail.com/stv/

Entertainment: Universal Channel and SciFi.

Kids: Boomerang and Kids Co.

Hope this is of some help.

Greg