Do You Wear A Helmet

FarangCravings

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't it depend (a bit) on the size of bike? I wear one 75% but I only have a Honda Airblade (longer trips by car) the farangs who scream around on BIG bikes are more at danger surely? sorry about your friend - what size of bike was he riding? RIP

Think of the fastest you can run, and what would happen if you ran head first into the corner of a brick wall at that speed. Even at low speed on a small bike you are going two or three times that speed, and if you are knocked off your bike by another driver and your head makes solid contact with the curb it will pop open. Of course some people believe that will never happen to them, but then I never thought my four of a kind would lose to a straight flush until...

If you do something long enough something very unlucky will eventually happen. It's a good idea to be prepared.

For all of you who wear your Thai helmet, and think you are actually protecting yourselves, there really is something you should know. The Thai helmet standard, TIS-369-2539, does not require any impact tests, which are the tests that actually measure what happens to your head when it hits the ground. The only tests I can find in their standards are the strap retention test and the penetration test. IMHO the Thai helmet standards are pretty much worthless, and the only thing it is going to protect is your wallet when the police stop you.

I am one of those who thinks I am actually protecting myself.

I did my own test. I came off and landed first on my shoulder which snapped my helmet against the pavement HARD. My 1000 baht Index helmet took some deep scratches but did its job perfectly.

I'd wear one even if it was a 400 baht fine to be caught with a helmet on.

BTW, it seems almost everyone who posts here is pro-helmet. Could it be that the non-wearers are, um, less computer literate, less literate, or just don't want to think about it?

You can lead a horse to water but..

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/backwards_helmet.php

oopps :D

Great picture, purplehaze, thanks. :)

Motorcycle stunt riders put down their bike a SERIOUS speeds and seem to survive okay, but they are covered in kevlar outfits. I'm more worried about getting run over by other following vehicles than hitting my head hard enough to do injury. I've had several relatively high speed accidents

but not in traffic. All I received was road rash, and once a cracked bone in my ankle. The hardest I've ever been hit was running into a goal post while playing football and looking over my shoulder to catch a pass. It was pick-up football and I wasn't wearing a helmet. I saw a guy die by just falling over and hitting his head on the cement curb. If your time is up there isn't much you can do about it.

The worst accident I've seen was in Chiang Mai where a stupid Thai guy ran a red light while he was talking on his cel phone. He had his whole family with him and they all died at the scene... wife, baby in her arms, and the two little children sitting in front and behind him. Nobody was wearing a helmet and they were hit by a big truck going through the intersection.

Hmmmmmm. Seems to me that the most of the posters that have had accidents here wear helmuts. Well I can't blame you. you should try to be better riders. Wherever in the world I am NOT required by law to wear a helmut I don't and I have never had an accident and I ride bikes that wieght over 900 lbs. I wiegh 145lbs.

banjo-playing-smile.gif

Studies in the USA proved that over 50% of deaths from accidents were due to whiplash and breaking of the neck due to over wieght helmuts (Full Face).

I find that difficult to believe. Can you reference this study or studies?

Edited by heybruce

Studies in the USA proved that over 50% of deaths from accidents were due to whiplash and breaking of the neck due to over wieght helmuts (Full Face).

I find that difficult to believe. Can you reference this study or studies?

I found a summary of studies at this website:

http://www.smarter-usa.org/docs/PDF%20DOCU...et_Research.pdf

There are many studies indicating that helmet use reduces risk of death, greatly reduces risk of traumatic brain injury, and significantly reduces hospital stay time after an accident. I did find one study here:

http://www.bikersrights.com/statistics/gol.../goldstein.html

which attempted to account for the possibility that helmet wearers were more safety conscious than motorcycle riders that don't wear helmets. Supposedly if you compare accidents of helmeted and non-helmeted riders at similar speeds and levels of inebriation there is no statistically significant difference in probability of death, the helmet does significantly increase the risk of neck injury but also greatly reduces the risk of traumatic brain injury. I'd rather risk whiplash than major brain damage.

Bottom line--many studies that say wearing a helmet reduces risk of death and injury, one study that says wearing a helmet doesn't reduce risk of death but does reduce the risk of major brain damage.

Edited by heybruce

BTW, it seems almost everyone who posts here is pro-helmet. Could it be that the non-wearers are, um, less computer literate, less literate, or just don't want to think about it?

No.

I think what this tells us is that people who wear helmets are vocal about it and think that everyone should wear a helmet or they are "an idiot" with "nothing to protect" and that "Darwinism will take care of them". I think that many of the people who ride without a helmet don't need or care to get into this argument.

If you go by this thread, then over 90% of all farang riders you see would be wearing a helmet. Simple observation tells you that is not happening.

My motto is "prevent the accident, not the injury after the accident."

Explain why none of the drivers stopped?

Trillions of flies eat shit. I'm not interested at all why they do so.

I stopped everytime when I felt that someone was in current need of help, and I never regreted it.

I always wear my imported SIMPSON, white, with perfect ventilation system. Not only to protect my own life but also to keep on being a role model for my family. Don't wanna lose anybody of them ...

Last but not least: Follow the law.

Square, ain't I ...?

No.

I think what this tells us is that people who wear helmets are vocal about it and think that everyone should wear a helmet or they are "an idiot" with "nothing to protect" and that "Darwinism will take care of them". I think that many of the people who ride without a helmet don't need or care to get into this argument.

If you go by this thread, then over 90% of all farang riders you see would be wearing a helmet. Simple observation tells you that is not happening.

A lot of dumb tourists don't wear helmets, but by my observations the majority of ex-pats wear helmets. And even if you spend your entire life hiding under your bed you can't be 100% safe from accidents, so my motto is "Enjoy life, but play smart."

No.

I avoided wearing a helmet as I felt they actually restricted my peripheral vision plus I liked the feel of wind against my face. I rode my bike defensively to allow me time to avoid potential problems. Just about every accident I have heard of in Thailand that involved a farang and a motorbike also involved alcohol. I'm sure that's not true in all accidents but in Thailand it seems to be a dominant factor.

Ride sober and defensively and I feel there's only a minimal risk of a serious accident.

I drive through a junction twice a day that was recently the scene of two gun murders on consecutive days. Also, quite close to where I work a woman was recently shot dead as she got in to her car while holding her baby. If I were to take safety precautions in Thailand to protect my life, I think I would consider a bullet-proof vest long before a crash helmet.

If I'm on the bike I wear the helmet.

When I'm in the sack I wear my hardhat.

It's just smarter to be smart; you do what you gotta do.

If you have satin sheets you won"t need the hard hat.

A lot of dumb tourists don't wear helmets, but by my observations the majority of ex-pats wear helmets. And even if you spend your entire life hiding under your bed you can't be 100% safe from accidents, so my motto is "Enjoy life, but play smart."

At least 51% :)

No.

I wear a helmet, but didnt feel like contributing to the thread (well until now that is). A person may not contribute to a thread for many reasons, i think we cannot assume its because they dont wear a helmet (and the other comments). So why didnt i want to contribute? Well, people here will do as they please. Its up to them to make the choice and up to the law to enforce it. I think i can safely say that most know the risks of not wearing a helmet, and although this thread has offered some very good points (including personal experiences..some of which made the hairs on the back of my neck rise), it is not likely to change non-helmet wearers minds. Thats not to say I dont think the thread is valid. I think its an important discussion, i just personally didnt want to get into it. For me, my concern is my safety on the road and the safety of any passenger. The only thing i can then hope for is that other people drive with consideration and safety in mind...in whatever vehicle they drive..with or without a helmet.

I will also confess to removing my helmet when driving around places like Huay Tung Tao. But, 99% of the time, the helmet is on...and i make sure one is on my pillion passengers head too.

Not really an answer to the OPs question, but I really liked this article about helmet testing and helmet standards...

Many people have made comments about Thai made helmets being worthless or causing injuries... the article did their own test, based on worse case otherwise survivable accidents, and found that helmets that met only the US standard, which is lower than EU or Snell standards fared better than most... the $80 helmet from the chain store as good as anything... not surprisingly, the $80 helmets are all made in Asia (Thailand)... I can't help but think that they are probably made on the same line as Index and Real brand ones in Thailand, to the same standard and sold for $US20 without the standards approval sticker...

I don't think the 100THB helmet can cause damage, other than taking up the physical space on your head where a 600THB Full Face Index or Real helmet should be...

I of course wear a helmet 100% of the time, unless it is at night and I am drunk, and I guess I am not alone in being that stupid... so, I reckon policing drink driving rules would probably have twice the effect on reducing the road toll in Thailand as it did in Australia, because riders wouldn't be drunk enough to make silly choices...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

I avoided wearing a helmet as I felt they actually restricted my peripheral vision plus I liked the feel of wind against my face. I rode my bike defensively to allow me time to avoid potential problems. Just about every accident I have heard of in Thailand that involved a farang and a motorbike also involved alcohol. I'm sure that's not true in all accidents but in Thailand it seems to be a dominant factor.

Ride sober and defensively and I feel there's only a minimal risk of a serious accident.

I drive through a junction twice a day that was recently the scene of two gun murders on consecutive days. Also, quite close to where I work a woman was recently shot dead as she got in to her car while holding her baby. If I were to take safety precautions in Thailand to protect my life, I think I would consider a bullet-proof vest long before a crash helmet.

I know this is unusual but I actually agree with Loaded :) I have rode my Bike from here to Trang and all over Thailand 24,000K and not one accident, my My bike accident was Alcohol related 5 minutes from home completely my fault and I paid for it and rightly so but thankfully not with my life.

But its true if you drive defensivly and expect cars to pull into the fast lane, bikes to come out of know where and the other crazy manouvres we see here you can avoid accidents.

I was however wearing a Helmet which I believe saved me further damage although I think it did knock some sense into me.

I have ridden big bikes for more than 40 years, no accidents. But I only wore a helmet to avoid police. I have never liked helmets at all.

Still don't :)

I have ridden big bikes for more than 40 years, no accidents. But I only wore a helmet to avoid police. I have never liked helmets at all.

Still don't :)

I have to wonder how many people rode for years without a helmet,

only had one accident,

are not able to tell us about it.

But I do like Darwinism.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I wear a helmet 99% of the time (on very short trips I sometimes don't put it on), but my wife recently pointed out to me the other day that I often don't use the clasp which secures the helmet on my head.

She's right of course. I hope I'll be smart enough to do that 99% of the time too.

Still don't :D

only had one accident,

But I do like Darwinism.

:)

It's not a question of "if"- it is a question of "when".

That is why they call them accidents.

Spot on post.

Still don't :D

only had one accident,

But I do like Darwinism.

:)

It's not a question of "if"- it is a question of "when".

That is why they call them accidents.

Spot on post.

In my case, dont worry about 'when' because there will never be a day. Now I drive a truck :D

Watch out for me motorcyclists! :D

Edited by LJW

I always try to wear a helmet but must admit i have gone without driving around the gates.

The main reason one should wear helmet is there is a lot of drunks driving about here. You can be the best driver in the world but you still have to watch out for those drunks on bikes and in cars. An example is in the villages where they never ware helmets because "i am just going to the local market" thinking. My farther-in-law who is 80 still does this he was out riding his in the village bike when a drunk nutter on a bike took him clean out. He was in the ICU and need stiches in his leg arm and head. His bike was not insured we left our honda wave (which was insured) and helmets at his house but was not used. The guy who took him out was to poor to get money off.

also seen an 10 year old driving standing up on the bike. no helmet

Sorry for the spellinggg