Do You Wear A Helmet

FarangCravings

For those interested, there is a small motorcycle accessories shop on the ground floor of Panthip Plaza that sells top-of-the-line helmets, as well as, I think, less good helmets. I bought an Arai helmet there three or four months ago. Expensive, more expensive than in Japan, but hey . . . it's my head. Years of road racing motorcycles, which included a number of crashes, including three well in excess of 160 kph from which I got up and walked away uninjured, have taught me the value of helmets. Almost any helmet is better than none, but a high quality helmet is worth its price . . . whatever it is, frankly.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcyclists in Thailand that do not wear helmets and some sort of eye protection are brain dead and here is the reason why.

Riding a bike without a helmet leaves the brain exposed to severe heat penetration from the sun, especially when stationary at traffic lights and in traffic jams. The brain after time actually gets cooked, destroying the brain cells. The skull acts as a kind of pressure cooker.

A helmet is essential for protecting the head and eyes from shrapnel such as small stones picked up and thrown from the tires or the tires of other road users, plus bugs, dust and dirt particles.

Even if Thai motorbike helmets do not come up to western standards, they can still save your life in the case of an impact.

Don’t leave home without one.

Uncle BWM

Uncle BWM, was your bus a convertible?

Motorcyclists in Thailand that do not wear helmets and some sort of eye protection are brain dead and here is the reason why.

Riding a bike without a helmet leaves the brain exposed to severe heat penetration from the sun, especially when stationary at traffic lights and in traffic jams. The brain after time actually gets cooked, destroying the brain cells. The skull acts as a kind of pressure cooker.

A helmet is essential for protecting the head and eyes from shrapnel such as small stones picked up and thrown from the tires or the tires of other road users, plus bugs, dust and dirt particles.

Even if Thai motorbike helmets do not come up to western standards, they can still save your life in the case of an impact.

Uncle BWM

And here is a typical example of someone who never wears a helmet.

It you don`t want to end up in the same tragic state, than, clunk click, every trip.

I have long been persuaded that there should be no helmet laws. There are so few Darwinian mechanisms at work in the world today that operate toward the end of assuring the further improvement of the human brain that I would like to see at least one good one in place, and I can think of few better than that of allowing individuals, using their own brains and free will, to choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

That does not answer your question directly, but I should think you will be able to guess correctly my answer.

It might be taken from your words that you do wear a helmet.

That said when their is a law in place that the wearing of a helmet is mandatory it cannot be left to the discretion of the individual to make the decision.

If you were to do that imagine what chaos there would be on a major construction project with everyone deciding the rules "as to whether to comply or not" with any / all HSES requirements.

Think you just described the patterns on thai roads here!

Helmet !!!! NEVER helmets are for poofs!!!!

Mai pen rai. You evidently do not have anything to protect so in your case it won't make any difference whether you have a helmet or not.

For all of you who wear your Thai helmet, and think you are actually protecting yourselves, there really is something you should know. The Thai helmet standard, TIS-369-2539, does not require any impact tests, which are the tests that actually measure what happens to your head when it hits the ground. The only tests I can find in their standards are the strap retention test and the penetration test. IMHO the Thai helmet standards are pretty much worthless, and the only thing it is going to protect is your wallet when the police stop you. As far as I am concerned, you would probably be much better off wearing a good bicycle helmet that meets some international standard rather than a Thai made motorcycle helmet, and it would certainly be much more comfortable.

I was wearing one of those 100baht helmets when I hit a dog @ 60kph and it did save my life after me and bike went flying in the air and bike came down on top of me. My head hit the pavement and ripped off the helmet and if I had not had it on, I wouldn't be writing this.

That was 'my last long trip'!!

how was the dog

I am one of the guilty ones who will use it on long trips but to the corner store leave it at home.

Dam it i even wear one in the car you aint seen my missus drive, shes even worse than me :)

Statistics show most accidents occur in the first few kilometres of any trip and on your way to the store are you concentrating on the road or what you have to buy?

And where did you pick that little gem up? With that thinking, the majority of the world would have fried their braincells... most people walk around with the sun on their heads, yes?

Another scary thing is that I had to learn NOT to stop when seeing an accident, a very high possibility that suddenly you had caused the accident, just trying to help.

Bullshit!

(Don't let the bitter, Thai-hating Bar Stool Farlongs get to you.)

When you're in a position to help, you help. I know I do. If there was a place where this was not possible then I wouldn't want to live in that place. Nuff said.

You think so......read on.......I was on way home 6 mths ago at 2am in car in CM....came across 2 bikes strewn across the road and 2 bodies which I had to swerve to avoid, I felt sick....(one of which died and was killed instantly, as comfirmed by BIB next day).....yes I stopped....asked an eyewitness who saw the whole thing......1st pickup knocked them off and carried on, 2nd pickup ran over them (yes, ran over them!) and carried on, 3rd car hit the bikes and carried on and I was the 4th car and stopped, next car hit bikes again and carried on (I saw with my own eyes)....it was obvious one was dead and the other was in a bad way....no one did anything apart from watch! There were about 25 people including me and for exactly for the reason stated above I did nothing (not that I could do much anyway).....BIB and Ambulance arriived 5 mins later and took the surviving kid to hospital..... and no I am not a Thai-hating Farang...just telling you exactly as it was....so.....'bull***t'?? Explain why none of the drivers stopped?

Edited by kjhbigv

At what point were you accused of causing the accident because you're Farang?

I was not, but then again I did not get involved (the same as the other 25 people there watching).....and was not going to take the chance thanks. Why did 4 vehicles not stop? Seems a bit strange to me? Maybe they knew better?

Edited by kjhbigv

At what point were you accused of causing the accident because you're Farang?

I was not, but then again I did not get involved (the same as the other 25 people there watching).....and was not going to take the chance thanks. Why did 4 vehicles not stop? Seems a bit strange to me? Maybe they knew better?

What's your point?

Uncle BWM

It you don`t want to end up in the same tragic state, than, clunk click, every trip.

BWM, at least you are consistent, you got it wrong yet again.

I have 2 good quality Shoei helmets and always wear 1 of them when astride my little scooter (Old 1991 ZZR1100).

I don't bother wearing a helmet in the Fortuner. :)

So you stopped to stare at someone dying, and thought everyone else should as well? Why?

Then you come on here and reply to someone who's saying you can stop to help without fear of false accusation, making this point. I'm lost.

So you stopped to stare at someone dying, and thought everyone else should as well? Why?

Then you come on here and reply to someone who's saying you can stop to help without fear of false accusation, making this point. I'm lost.

I stopped to see if there was anything I could do, but after seeing vehicle number four smash into the carnage, not stop and bits of bike flying all over the place, I thought better of it. So can anyone give a reasonable explanation why four vehicles did not stop? No-one seems to have a answer? I had to draw my own conclusions as to why they did not stop. Why did vehicle number four not stop, for example? He had done nothing wrong?

Anybody that doesn't wear one has never seen the road close up, in a decent accident of their own. Surviving an accident is the only cure for taking bikes seriously. Wouldn't leave home without one, see almost one a week here in BKK, glad its from the AC Taxi though.

Oz

kjhbigv

I'd be awfully horrified 6 months later too. Things like what you saw make you wonder what you could have done.

As I understand it though, it was dark an you probably had no flashlight (torch). Traffic was evidently going by so fast that several drivers did not see the victims in enough time to avoid them or stop (or were afraid of the police because THEY had been drinking or...). Perhaps there was nothing that COULD have safely been done and it was all just horror.

Perhaps you were fearful of being killed - rightfully - in those circumstances, as would I. We are encouraged to NOT move victims, and that would freeze us from action for a moment as well, even though protecting the victim and staunching blood flow (safely?) would have been worthwhile, if practical.

But your conclusion that we should never stop and help does not apply to every other accident. For some of us, your conclusion is understandable but excessive. Although in your place, I might have given up wearing helmets at all - and biking.

Edited by CMX

Don't leave home without one.

Uncle BWM

BWM, at least you are consistent, you got it wrong yet again.

I have 2 good quality Shoei helmets and always wear 1 of them when astride my little scooter (Old 1991 ZZR1100).

I don't bother wearing a helmet in the Fortuner. :)

In another life around 1999 (I think), you gave me a ride from the old Escape to Loi Kroh Road on some million cc bike. You didn't wear a helmet then, but more importantly how the heck did I manage to stay on when you took off?

In another life around 1999 (I think), you gave me a ride from the old Escape to Loi Kroh Road on some million cc bike. You didn't wear a helmet then, but more importantly how the heck did I manage to stay on when you took off?

More likely 1997 or 1998, Up Theo. Well back then I was only in my early 40's with little sense, nowadays still far from sensible but more so than back then. You've got to remember to lean forward on the launch and grab the chicken rail real tight. :)

More likely 1997 or 1998, Up Theo. Well back then I was only in my early 40's with little sense, nowadays still far from sensible but more so than back then. You've got to remember to lean forward on the launch and grab the chicken rail real tight. :D

Maybe I had my arms around you? :)

Yes, probably 97/98. I seem to recall wondering why I didn't go arse over the handlebars when you ground to a halt too!

I can't remember anything between the taking off and stopping. :D

'You've got to remember to lean forward on the launch and grab the chicken rail real tight.'

Actually, more important than that is squeezing hard with your legs whatever you can of the bike's seat, frame, body and foot pegs. Lock your lower body to the bike, and the rest is easy. : )

doesn't it depend (a bit) on the size of bike? I wear one 75% but I only have a Honda Airblade (longer trips by car) the farangs who scream around on BIG bikes are more at danger surely? sorry about your friend - what size of bike was he riding? RIP

Uncle BWM

So does walking around in the sun also leave our brians in the oven? Should we all walk around in a hot country wearing a helmut?

Sorry I am not trying to be silly here just that this post is a little silly I thought. My wife is a head nurse in the emergency ward at a hospital here and laughed her tiny little titties off when i read this to her.

I have been riding Harleys for 20 years here and back home where we MUST wear helmuts and I have NEVER had a bug hit my helmut (due to velocity dynamics) that would have actually placed a threat to my mellon if I didn't have a helmut on. As far as a helmut saving me from dust and dirt......hmmmmmm......NOT!!!!! Now if your talking a mut with a faceshield then maybe.

Studies in the USA proved that over 50% of deaths from accidents were due to whiplash and breaking of the neck due to over wieght helmuts (Full Face).

The only reason I wear a helmut here is because it is the law. I dont break the law in my country so why would I do it here. If they left it up to us I would NOT wear one. RIDE HARD DIE FAST !!!!!

I do agree with many posters that even a cheap helmut might be better then nothing but full body gear in 35+ degrees? No way jose.

And NO I do not have family or loved ones to leave behind but I would love to see the Thai government have to pay for my burning and at least in my next life I might feel that some of these dam_n visa fees etc have finally been used for something for ME..... :)

One thing that I do hate seeing is these Police etc driving around in their hats with thier children on the bike, no hel_l-mut carrying their sang som.

With todays Technoligy they should be able to invent a light wieght safe helmut at a reasnable cost for people who like that protection. As far as I go yes I will always wear one here. 400 baht every time also sucks if you want to break the Thai law but in comparasing to back home I couldn't even buy a pack of smokes for 400 baht.

banjo-playing-smile.gif

Uncle BWM

So does walking around in the sun also leave our brians in the oven? Should we all walk around in a hot country wearing a helmut?

Sorry I am not trying to be silly here just that this post is a little silly I thought. My wife is a head nurse in the emergency ward at a hospital here and laughed her tiny little titties off when i read this to her.

I have been riding Harleys for 20 years here and back home where we MUST wear helmuts and I have NEVER had a bug hit my helmut (due to velocity dynamics) that would have actually placed a threat to my mellon if I didn't have a helmut on. As far as a helmut saving me from dust and dirt......hmmmmmm......NOT!!!!! Now if your talking a mut with a faceshield then maybe.

Studies in the USA proved that over 50% of deaths from accidents were due to whiplash and breaking of the neck due to over wieght helmuts (Full Face).

The only reason I wear a helmut here is because it is the law. I dont break the law in my country so why would I do it here. If they left it up to us I would NOT wear one. RIDE HARD DIE FAST !!!!!

I do agree with many posters that even a cheap helmut might be better then nothing but full body gear in 35+ degrees? No way jose.

And NO I do not have family or loved ones to leave behind but I would love to see the Thai government have to pay for my burning and at least in my next life I might feel that some of these dam_n visa fees etc have finally been used for something for ME..... :)

One thing that I do hate seeing is these Police etc driving around in their hats with thier children on the bike, no hel_l-mut carrying their sang som.

With todays Technoligy they should be able to invent a light wieght safe helmut at a reasnable cost for people who like that protection. As far as I go yes I will always wear one here. 400 baht every time also sucks if you want to break the Thai law but in comparasing to back home I couldn't even buy a pack of smokes for 400 baht.

banjo-playing-smile.gif

problem is... it's often not RIDE HARD, DIE FAST it's often RIDE HARD,DIE SLOW in a hospital somewhere with your spine broken and being fed with a straw and your bum wiped for you

Our rule is if we go out the Moo Bann gate, the helmets are on, always.

Also.... if anyone knows of a shop selling a good full face helmet that is comfortable with glasses, pass that along. I haven't found one yet and would appreciate any suggestions others might have. I've had buddies break jaws and lose teeth from rather simple accidents.

T-Dog, there is one shop I know that has a good selection of full helmets, but I'll have to wait and ask the wife the name of the road it's on. I know how to get to it, but don't ask me for road or street names. lol. Now, while INDEX may not be the best out there, that's what I go with. I paid almost 1,000 baht each for two full face helmet, one black, one white, that have inner sunshades that can be raised or lowered. I also wear glasses, and have no problem with these helmets. I wear the black one during the day, and the white one at night so I'm a little more visible to others.