Do You Wear A Helmet

FarangCravings

The other night a friend of mine died in a motorbike accident and it seems from reports that had he been wearing a helmet he may well of survived his accident.

After having a bad motorcycle accident myself 5 months ago (of which I am still recovering) it certainly rams it down your throat just how dangerous riding a scooter or motorbike is in this country and even more so if you dont wear a helmet.

I thankfully was smart enough to wear a helmet and all the gear which most likely saved me from more damage than my smashed leg

So lets see how many of you admit to not wearing a helmet when out on there Honda Wave or clik or Scoopy or whatever.

If you don't wear one why not ?

Edited by FarangCravings

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99% of the time.

And during that other 1% on very short trips, I'm asking myself, "Why didn't you put on your helmet?"

Now a Thai would have answered:

99% of the time I don't.

And during the other 1% on very short trips, I'm telling myself, "I'm only wearing the helmet because of the police checkpoint."

Absofookinlutely. I wear top quality full face helmets and they've saved my life on two occasions when I had offs here in CM.

Don't forget your gloves, jacket and boots. You're at more risk on a scooter than a big bike so make sure you scooter riders wear proper gear.

I grew up on bikes. Mini bike at 8, dirt bike at 10, racing dirt and motocross at 12, and I have never, ever straddled a bike without a helmet on first. I've had big bikes (650 cc Ninja / Norton 650), and now ride a CBR 150R. I live "out in the suburbs", so to speak, and I don't care if I'm just going to the little market a kilometer down the road, I wear a helmet. It's a full head helmet with sunshades inside that can be raised or lowered. And I make everyone one I know and care about wear them as well. I've seen far too many deaths and permanent injuries that could have, or at least might have, been avoided if a helmet had been worn. However, I also must admit that there are times when I'm wearing short pants and a tee shirt, which may not be the best thing when doing 100+ on the highways. 5555 But at least my head is well protected.

I have to admit that I don't on short trips....less than a kilometer and only for longer trips do I wear one. I know it's stupid, even for short trips, but it's bloody HOTT with a HELmet.

I'm waiting for someone to invent an airconditioned helmet

I have to admit that I don't on short trips....less than a kilometer and only for longer trips do I wear one. I know it's stupid, even for short trips, but it's bloody HOTT with a HELmet.

I'm waiting for someone to invent an airconditioned helmet

Just as a bit of Info my friend who died just nipped less than 1/2 K from his home so it was one of those short trips that ultimately ended his life

i slap a bit of sunscreen on the chrome dome, bung on the 20 baht thongs and off I go. hasnt done me wrong so far but it has only been 36 years of riding.

dont try this at home though kiddies !!

99% yes.

1% no. why not? In the evening it is so cool without...And sometimes I am fed up with my flattened hair.

Plus, I sometimes doubt about how this half egg shaped helmet could save me...

I doubt that the helmets sold in Thailand would ever make a difference between life and death!

What is more important is to wear glasses....not wearing a piece of plastic on your head will not save your life but wearing plastic glasses may save your life and the life of others.

If you are concerned about your head..buy a quality helmet!

I have long been persuaded that there should be no helmet laws. There are so few Darwinian mechanisms at work in the world today that operate toward the end of assuring the further improvement of the human brain that I would like to see at least one good one in place, and I can think of few better than that of allowing individuals, using their own brains and free will, to choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

That does not answer your question directly, but I should think you will be able to guess correctly my answer.

I was wearing one of those 100baht helmets when I hit a dog @ 60kph and it did save my life after me and bike went flying in the air and bike came down on top of me. My head hit the pavement and ripped off the helmet and if I had not had it on, I wouldn't be writing this.

That was 'my last long trip'!!

99% of the time.

And during that other 1% on very short trips, I'm asking myself, "Why didn't you put on your helmet?"

Nobody here is wearing a helmet after 5pm. Cops are off work. Lots of Thais might think that wearing one is to avoid paying 200 baht. A lack of education? Because everybody is doing it?

I'm also still recovering from an accident that broke my leg five times, but I was wearing a good helmet. I've seen young boys dying after accidents without a helmet, before any rescue workers arrived.

Another scary thing is that I had to learn NOT to stop when seeing an accident, a very high possibility that suddenly you had caused the accident, just trying to help.

My Thai friends' son was trying to make his way to the next town together with a friend, pretty drunk. They both fell on their head doing about 80 km/h. One recovered, the other one even lost parts of his skull. One year ICU, wheelchair forever. Brain completely damaged. No helmets.

99% of the time.

Nobody here is wearing a helmet after 5pm. Cops are off work. Lots of Thais might think that wearing one is to avoid paying 200 baht. A lack of education? Because everybody is doing it?

I'm also still recovering from an accident that broke my leg five times, but I was wearing a good helmet. I've seen young boys dying after accidents without a helmet, before any rescue workers arrived.

Another scary thing is that I had to learn NOT to stop when seeing an accident, a very high possibility that suddenly you had caused the accident, just trying to help.

My Thai friends' son was trying to make his way to the next town together with a friend, pretty drunk. They both fell on their head doing about 80 km/h. One recovered, the other one even lost parts of his skull. One year ICU, wheelchair forever. Brain completely damaged. No helmets.

Coincidence Sisak

I too broke my leg 5 times hip femur x 2 tibia and fibula how long have you been recovering I am at almost 6 months still on crutches and the knee is the main issue but I have terrible arthritis or what feels like painful aches in the break spots

I grew up on bikes. Mini bike at 8, dirt bike at 10, racing dirt and motocross at 12, and I have never, ever straddled a bike without a helmet on first. I've had big bikes (650 cc Ninja / Norton 650), and now ride a CBR 150R. I live "out in the suburbs", so to speak, and I don't care if I'm just going to the little market a kilometer down the road, I wear a helmet. It's a full head helmet with sunshades inside that can be raised or lowered. And I make everyone one I know and care about wear them as well. I've seen far too many deaths and permanent injuries that could have, or at least might have, been avoided if a helmet had been worn. However, I also must admit that there are times when I'm wearing short pants and a tee shirt, which may not be the best thing when doing 100+ on the highways. 5555 But at least my head is well protected.

Like you, I've grown up on bikes but I am not that fond of helmits though of course I wear one.

After 38 years of riding, I was finally creamed by a taxi while riding a sportster 1200 in an impossible to prevent accident. The helmet I was wearing clearly saved my life as I landed on the back of my head. I was knocked unconscious for about 10 minutes and don't to this day remember the accident. The doctors said my head was OK but it took 2 surgeries and about a year to get everything else back in order. Later in life a developed an arachnoid cyst in the brain at the impact point. Glad I had a helmet on.

Our rule is if we go out the Moo Bann gate, the helmets are on, always.

Also.... if anyone knows of a shop selling a good full face helmet that is comfortable with glasses, pass that along. I haven't found one yet and would appreciate any suggestions others might have. I've had buddies break jaws and lose teeth from rather simple accidents.

I have long been persuaded that there should be no helmet laws. There are so few Darwinian mechanisms at work in the world today that operate toward the end of assuring the further improvement of the human brain that I would like to see at least one good one in place, and I can think of few better than that of allowing individuals, using their own brains and free will, to choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

That does not answer your question directly, but I should think you will be able to guess correctly my answer.

It might be taken from your words that you do wear a helmet.

That said when their is a law in place that the wearing of a helmet is mandatory it cannot be left to the discretion of the individual to make the decision.

If you were to do that imagine what chaos there would be on a major construction project with everyone deciding the rules "as to whether to comply or not" with any / all HSES requirements.

Edited by krakatoa

I wear a helmet in Cm in the mornings to avoid the 200bht fine.

All other times I don't bother.

If Buddha wants me to die, wearing a helmet won't save me.

But Buddha does not want you to die, he teaches that want is the source of unhappiness.

If your not wearing a helmet you should hope you do die in an accident as there are a lot who survive with brain damage and very poor quality of life.

this happened to a girl i knew, so now I always wear one.. dont want to end up like her

I was not a bike rider before coming to CM. I wear a helmet at all times, with face shield. The stupidity of anyone not wearing one bewilders me. I'm looking for a lightweight jacket with lots of ventilation and protective elbows and shoulders. All I've seen so far is at Yamaha 6000THB, any leads?

Always hated helmets and hate them now.

Nevertheless, I always wear a helmet in recent years. Admit I compromise by wearing a 1/2 helmet on particularly hot days and that I'm foolish in doing it.

I had my first fall on the road in Thailand, when wearing a Thai helmet, and a minor bump on the noggin through the helmet raised a large goose egg with some aches for a while thereafter. Happily, doc said my head would be OK - a first!

I'm bringing from the States this time two better helmets, but one is a half helmet, of course; docs can get it wrong, after all.

I, too, knew Farang Cravings good buddy who died on Thursday night. I'm in the 'I wear a seatbelt' crowd as I refuse to ride a bike in Thailand after losing too many friends and nearly becoming a statistic myself several years ago.

I well remember being a very pissed-off teenager on my Triumph 3TA m'bike in UK when compulsory helmet laws came in, I felt that if I wanted to kill myself it was my right--then one day I grew up, life became too precious and leaving a fatherless child unthinkable.

Always hated helmets and hate them now.

Nevertheless, I always wear a helmet in recent years. Admit I compromise by wearing a 1/2 helmet on particularly hot days and that I'm foolish in doing it.

I had my first fall on the road in Thailand, when wearing a Thai helmet, and a minor bump on the noggin through the helmet raised a large goose egg with some aches for a while thereafter. Happily, doc said my head would be OK - a first!

I'm bringing from the States this time two better helmets, but one is a half helmet, of course; docs can get it wrong, after all.

What is a 1/2 helmet??

I am having a go at answering my own dumb question--is it all the helmets that aren't full-face??? At a guess.

Edited by haybilly