Do Any Vets Euthanize Here?

MisterMan

I have 4 baby kittens at work whose mother was killed in an accident. they are 2 weeks old, will not drink from a plate or bowl nor eat solid food.

If I could keep them at work I would invest into the dropper and formula but I have been told that his not an option. Mrs Man said I could bring them home but there is no one there to feed them and only a few big cats who might try to kill them.

Keeping them is not an option. I called PAWS but they do not euthanize. They need their mother's milk anyways to build up immunity and antibodies..

The staff want to take them to the temple and I would imaging that will be a horrible death. I am a cat lover and have just rescued a few months ago another homeless kitten. I can't have 4 more. Although having said that I could probably find homes for 2 of them once they were older IF they survived.

I am trying to be as detached as possible....

Edited by MisterMan

But I dont have a bottle or formula now.. how to feed? Nor the time or place?

Someone want to raise them for a few weeks and give them back to me?

WSPA is in PHuket? PAWS would not do it. I don't Soi Dogs is allowed to either.

if someone has a solution to care for them PM me..

Their eyes are open and I have since put some paper on the crate floor so they have a flat surface to lay.

post-46666-1273380556_thumb.jpg

The temple might not be as bad as you think. The monks may be able to place the kittens with a foster feline mother if (as I would expect) there are already cats there. If you wanted to raise them yourself until they were old enough to give away, perhaps you could borrow a suitable female cat to be mother to them. You would not need to be there much after the first day.

I bought a bottle and formula at a vet. I posted on Chicky net (yup that's right I am not a man) and found someone who can bottle feed them for the next week before she leaves and has experience doing this as it is not so easy as I found out.

I thought about the chance that there would be a foster mother at the temple but how much attention and thought and care do the monks really give another litter of kittens coming in ???

Does anyone really know of this much effort being made?

I am not heartless and also thought putting them down would be best. but now I will try this way and see who lives as I can't imagine all 4 will make it.

From there i think I know of one business who will have a couple of shop cats..... so I know i can home 2 of them. If my male cat was not such a mean monster with the last kitten I brought home I would have more but he is still really pissed off.

And no I could not think of how to euthanize them myself. No access to chloroform or morphine and I was not about to part with my few renaming Ambien.

And no I could not think of how to euthanize them myself. No access to chloroform or morphine and I was not about to part with my few renaming Ambien.

I was thinking of a more old-fasioned way, but, seeing as you already have a solution.........

Well, some people find that kind of thing difficult, and having had to put my own cat down, with no vet, due to horrific injuries, I doubt you would be so callously casual about the whole thing if it were up to you.

Misterman, I guess there is no chance of finding someone with a momma cat with kittens? I realize there might be some at the Wat, and relocating the kittens there would be difficult but tbh, if you took them yourself and introduced them to the mother you would learn soon enough if she would allow them nurse. It wouldn't be up to the monks to take care of them, but their new mother, if she allowed them to feed.

Well, some people find that kind of thing difficult, and having had to put my own cat down, with no vet, due to horrific injuries, I doubt you would be so callously casual about the whole thing if it were up to you.

Sorry you think I'm being "callously casual", it was not my intention.

Any relatively quick death would be better than slow starvation, don't you think?

From what I have seen and heard from my friends who feed at the temples it is a not a nice place to be for animals. The cats were scared of the dogs living on the roof the one time I went to feed. I just think it would be a harsh environment for 2-3 week old kittens to be thrown at the temple to Fend for themselves just so someone else can have them out of sight out of mind..

Strange, I asked if I could just keep the cats at work and feed them till they got old enough to eat by themselves (no bottle) and was told that the other big cats living around would KILL THEM!

I SAID BUT THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN TO THEM AT THE TEMPLE!! ..out of sight out of mind. Detached.

They are barely eating out of the bottle. I tried so far at least 3 or 4 times and they did get some nutrients. I am off tomorrow and will pass them on to someone who is not working but leaving the island in 9 days. I get 1 measly day off a weak so no time to be looking after them if I can't have them at work.

I personally never intended to starve them to death. The thought of them starving to death broke my heart and made me think euthanasia would be less cruel.

An injection or pill seemed preferable over starving them to death. Someone told me how to do it with cloroform and perhaps I could have done it. Perhaps after 9 days will not find someone else who is home all day to feed them ever 3 hours.

Then what??????

yes I know thanks and I did get some info..

however it was the caretaker I needed. I found one until Tuesday..someone who just quit their job who has time to bottle feed for kittens every 4 hours.

Glad I didn't euthanize them and glad they didn't go to the temple.

Any volunteers for bottle feeding the week after let me know. Once they are about 4-6 weeks old I think my friend and I can home them. She has a couple of friends who just moved back to Thailand..

Of course..........then what happens when people raise the cats and they dont stay? Another reason why Euthanizing them seemed like the solution.

in a few years can I post on TV Expat Leaving need home for cat? that is nearly as bad!!!

I was thinking of a more old-fasioned way, but, seeing as you already have a solution.........

I'd bring them to a temple before you're buying morphine and you'll get busted for that.

in a few years can I post on TV Expat Leaving need home for cat? that is nearly as bad!!!

MM,

I have PM'd you.

If people have to leave, they have to leave, no sense feeling guilty when you have given the animal a good chance at life .

A healthy adult cat is perfectly capable of fending for herself but I suggest not at a temple where there are dog packs.

If one must abandon a cat, vaccinate her fully, sterilize her ( should already be done, if not, let her heal completely , at least 6 weeks ) then take her to a sparsely populated neighborhood, FAR AWAY from traffic with some jungly spots for her to forage for lizards and where she can find trees to get out of danger with.

Edited by TigerWan

The 4 kittens were taken to a volunteer and are still alive, growing strong and doing well, even the runt.

Volunteer #2 has picked them up today and will continue feeding them but only for a week. I am looking for volunteer #3 and by then they should eat by themselves.

I have 2 prospects for homing the 4 kittens but that is after they are eating on their own.

Thanks TigerWan ! Got your message

Just saw the post today and am glad the little ones are doing good. For future reference: the vet in Thalang (076-274353, 086-6822557) will euthanize an animal if there is a very good reason to do it. But most likely he would have offered to take in the kittens and seen them through to good health himself.

Just saw the post today and am glad the little ones are doing good. For future reference: the vet in Thalang (076-274353, 086-6822557) will euthanize an animal if there is a very good reason to do it. But most likely he would have offered to take in the kittens and seen them through to good health himself.

Agree Dr. "John " Trethep is more sensible than other local Thai vets regarding euthanasia.

In this case he would most likely take care of small kittens them and re- home them from his clinic.

Be wary MM as I noticed a couple of the kittens appeared to be black coloured inthe pic.

I've adopted several all black kittens from Dr John as Thais are reluctant to adopt them as they believe the kittens will,

" cause bad luck."

The 4 kittens were taken to a volunteer and are still alive, growing strong and doing well, even the runt.

Volunteer #2 has picked them up today and will continue feeding them but only for a week. I am looking for volunteer #3 and by then they should eat by themselves.

I have 2 prospects for homing the 4 kittens but that is after they are eating on their own.

Thanks TigerWan ! Got your message

I hope your volunteers know that young kittens can not go to the bathroom without being "expressed" as their mother would have done. They need to be vigorously stimulated on their lower tummy and then around their genitals and tail area as this is where the mother would lick them to make them potty, if not they will die a painful death, they'll stop eating etc.... They may end up pottying on them too as they would not have any real control and there is no way around it really but it does wash off so just be prepared like a child in diapers..

On another note for future reference if it ever becomes necessary to euthanize in a case like this a good to way to do it quite quickly and painlessly as possible is to place them in a paper bag and hold it tightly wrapped over the exhaust of your car provided your car runs on gasoline. They will struggle only briefly and then long before the heat gets to them they'll drop off to sleep without much fan fair but keep it there for some time so they don't come back and then suffer by having to do it again..

I agree with the poster above who said that giving them a chance at a decent life by raising them and then finding them a home when you have to leave is nothing to feel guilty about.. We've been adopted by one kitten some months ago and just recently adopted another one and while we don't plan to stay here their entire lifetime if we are in a position to bring them we will, but if not they have/had a good life with us and we'll try to find someone who can continue that for them and we'll be quite happy about it given the alternative..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Hi They are doing well and the feeders were able to help with their digestion.. they are eating solid food now and using a litter box. They are with volunteer #3 who will look after them until they are a bit bigger, perhaps 1 more week, then I will try to home them.

We (my other friends whom I have involved) have a home for 2 of them (1 home 2 cats) and we will

surprise someone else with 2 more.. unless someone here wants a black cat?

It is always good to have those "credits" open for the next lot of unwanted kittens.. :)

Of course if this option does not work there is plan C, thanks TW.

Surprisingly even the run has lived.

Not sure if I could put them to the exhaust pipe but um thanks for the tip.

At the time I was thinking of the "blue needle" instead.

post-46666-1275193204_thumb.jpg