Yamaha Fino- For Laos

Alexpho

Hi there. I am on the tail end of my 8 week backpacking tour and will be heading back to the states shortly. I plan to buy my Lao girlfriend ( please don't ask why, she didn't ask for a bike either but she needs one, LOL ). I know she likes the Yamaha Fino. In my brief research, I heard it is made and sold in Thailand. I called up the Thai Yamaha Motor company for more info. They said I can also buy one in Laos from an authorized dealer. I was told that Fino cost around $45,000 baht if bought in Thailand. I did not get a quote yet from the Lao dealer. However, I will be coming back to Thailand tonight ( Phuket ) and then head back north to send her back to Laos ( Nong Kai / Vientiene ).

Can someone please help with suggestions on what I should do and where I should buy? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

check with Lao PDR customs department. you may be liable for a very stiff import fee if brought in from Thailand.

also questionable is: Lao may have different engine, emission controls and Thai bikes may not be in conformity with their regulations.

(one example; Lao automobiles are left hand drive-similar to US, whilst Thai automobiles are right hand drive. these subtle differences may be of a subject)

Why don't you wait a bit and do some research, talk to some other experts there in (Lao) if you can find a importer, otherwise just buy one in Vientiane. ( I am sure your GF can wait).

Buy her a Honda something. They have dealers in Loas.

If not get her something Chinese(local) eventually she will need to get it serviced. Honda is beter.

If she decides to sell it :D:) she will get more for a Honda.

check with Lao PDR customs department. you may be liable for a very stiff import fee if brought in from Thailand.

also questionable is: Lao may have different engine, emission controls and Thai bikes may not be in conformity with their regulations.

(one example; Lao automobiles are left hand drive-similar to US, whilst Thai automobiles are right hand drive. these subtle differences may be of a subject)

Why don't you wait a bit and do some research, talk to some other experts there in (Lao) if you can find a importer, otherwise just buy one in Vientiane. ( I am sure your GF can wait).

Import duty yes, but higher emissions standards in Laos? I doubt it, good point about the left hand drive thing though, make sure you get her a left-hand drive scooter.

I reckon, as others have said, if you can't buy the scooter she needs in Laos then it will be hard to get parts etc.

Fino's are cool, I got one in Chiang Saen it was 42,000 baht I believe, but it was a right-hand drive model, no good for you sorry :)

Make sure you get her a left-hand drive scooter.

:D Someone will have to educate me here.

What is a left-hand drive scooter like?

Is it like N.A. bicycles with the front brake on the wrong side. :)

Thank you all for the awesome advice. Please note that she knows of the Fino because they are seen on the streets of Vientiene, Laos ( which is a stonethrow away from Thailand ).

I will look into this further.

Cheers!

Yamaha is same quality as Honda, so BS buying a Honda. However Honda is longer known, and maybe better service able in Lao of Thailand. ^

Yamaha maybe just as good a ride as Honda so agree IF there is an official Yamaha dealer in Laos. If, in your words, better Honda service in Laos why is buying a Honda BS? Honda has a better reputation because Laos is FULL of cheap Chinese copies.You have to look at the BIG picture here.

This is not just about motorcycles, it is about buying the GF a bike/present. While we are not privvy to the relationship she may have no intention of keeping it. So better to buy her something on which the resale is better. If Fino is gray market in Laos that maybe a good choice and it is what she wants. But Honda, as you say, is "longer known" so one cannot go wrong with Honda.

I use to live in Indo. Suzuki or Yamaha may be just as good, but Honda outsells them both and resale on Hondas was always higher. I have also bought many presents for, and seen many presents bought for GF.

As someone once said knowledge is knowing a tomatoe is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.

Edited by VocalNeal

Yamaha is same quality as Honda, so BS buying a Honda. However Honda is longer known, and maybe better service able in Lao of Thailand. ^

Yamaha maybe just as good a ride as Honda so agree IF there is an official Yamaha dealer in Laos. If, in your words, better Honda service in Laos why is buying a Honda BS? Honda has a better reputation because Laos is FULL of cheap Chinese copies.You have to look at the BIG picture here.

This is not just about motorcycles, it is about buying the GF a bike/present. While we are not privvy to the relationship she may have no intention of keeping it. So better to buy her something on which the resale is better. If Fino is gray market in Laos that maybe a good choice and it is what she wants. But Honda, as you say, is "longer known" so one cannot go wrong with Honda.

I use to live in Indo. Suzuki or Yamaha may be just as good, but Honda outsells them both and resale on Hondas was always higher. I have also bought many presents for, and seen many presents bought for GF.

As someone once said knowledge is knowing a tomatoe is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.

Like I said.. Honda is far better known, so it's better option. BTW Honda isn't Chinese but Japanese.