Recommended Thai Brokerage Firms

My wife has expressed interest in investing some of her savings in the Thai stock market. Generally speaking, I support the idea, but since she's not particularly well versed or experienced in investing, I want to make sure that she connects with a reputable firm. Besides that, I plan to stay out of it.

I would be most appreciative if someone here could recommend a reputable, low cost broker. By the way, she has a bank account and credit card with Krung Thai bank; would anyone recommend their investment services?

I realize that novices really shouldn't be investing (a fool and his/her money are quickly parted), but she would only be investing a relatively small amount (50,000 Baht?) into a couple of index and/or dividend funds.

Thanks.

Sinclair, there have been quite a few previous threads on thai stockbrokers. worth using the thaivisa search facility to find them as there was some good info there. Try using search words like "choosing thai stockbroker" (stipulate the business forum & select "search thread titles only" to cut down on the amount of chaff you'll get)

The stock exchange of thailand in BKK has a bookshop & library beside their office and they produce a huge number of thai language publications, many aimed at novice investors. some of these are also stocked in many university libraries.

If you were interested in getting hold of an english language overview of investing in thailand (including details of brokers, fund managers, etc) then take a look at this publication: www.silkwormbooks.com/catalog/info/investment-guide-thailand

Sinclair, there have been quite a few previous threads on thai stockbrokers. worth using the thaivisa search facility to find them as there was some good info there. Try using search words like "choosing thai stockbroker" (stipulate the business forum & select "search thread titles only" to cut down on the amount of chaff you'll get)

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but a search done of the banking section with "broker" in the title turns up about 5 relevant posts since the end of 2007.

And considering what happened with world markets and financial firms in the last few years, I'm looking for more current recommendations.

I will, however, keep an eye out for the book you mentioned.

Edited by up-country_sinclair

I am using KTzmico since last 4-5 years and happily invested in Thai market but I never used their brokerage recommendations as I found out it to be good in long long term. Basically I am Intra Day Trader and for expats there are very limited (Hmmm... almost NO) English materials/brokerage reports. So I do my own research. You may want to try www.settrade.com here you get all the company information, balance sheet, 52week H/L, and most important various recommendations by brokerage firms.

You can register to various brokerage's free trial account and check in every morning their research reports... example I do it through kasikorn securities, they have a very good research on market very day (even though its a complete dot to dot tranlation from thai to english) but its still a good read. Another english version of a decent market analysis can be found on Philips online Electronic Mart... its a good read.

My market strategy.... I never got invested in small value stocks..example the stocks which move 1 satang, 2 satang or even 10 satang in a day (Having said that..many advance investors do that in huge bulk) as I am a Day Trader or Swing trader I go for valued stocks Kbank, BBL, Pttar which moves 25 satangs and + or - 2 or baht a trading.

If you need basic tutotials on stocks go to http://www.investopedia.com/ and very good startup for novice investor.

Happy Investing!

Edited by Aneeliyo