Visa Company Hasn't Returned Passport

I recently went to Laos on a visa run, my passport was full so i had to go to my embassy to get pages added. But i wouldn't be able to hand my passport in to the Thai embassy on Thursday and would have to wait until Friday. The owner of the Visa run service told me i could go ahead and return to Thailand with the Van on Friday and they would return my passport to me in Bangkok this past Tues. It is now Friday and I still haven't gotten it back. Now i am a bit worried that by allowing this to happen i may have done something illegal. Looking for advice.

How did you enter Thailand if your passport was still in the embassy?

Potentially, you've entered Thailand illegally. If you're in Thailand when the visa is issued it will be invalid. If you get your passport back with a valid entry stamp and you were not with it when it was stamped, that's illegal too.

Could be a world of hurt here.

I was with a group of people on the visa run. The owner told me not to worry and about it. When your with a group they don't check anybody at the border.

If you entered Thailand without a passport, you sure did something illegal. Not to mention the fact that your passport will be illegally stamped in, as you don't enter on it.

If your passport is lost, you are in serious problems having to explain how your passport was lost and how you got into the country.

I was with a group of people on the visa run. The owner told me not to worry and about it. When your with a group they don't check anybody at the border.

In other words, all the PPs were stamped in together by the immigration officer but (say) 20 persons entered Thailand on 19 passports.

Sir you are in serious trouble! In the country with no record in the immigration system of your arrival.

Step one, get hold of the visa run company and find out how they intend fixing your problem. But remember, even if you get your PP back with an entry stamp and TM6 you are still here illegally.

In other words, all the PPs were stamped in together by the immigration officer but (say) 20 persons entered Thailand on 19 passports.

Sir you are in serious trouble! In the country with no record in the immigration system of your arrival.

Step one, get hold of the visa run company and find out how they intend fixing your problem. But remember, even if you get your PP back with an entry stamp and TM6 you are still here illegally.

I have contacted the company. Now he says there was a delay and my passport will be here on tues. What can i do.. I am in panic mode now. I have a really bad feeling about this. I had never done a visa run before and thought nothing of it. Now i realize what a idiot i was for allowing this to happen

Edited by eateer

@eateer

Actually it is illegal, anywhere in the world, to enter a country without a valid passport. It's not a question the immigration check every single person or not your problem now is not a "mai pen rai" problem.

And the last person I would listen to in this regards is a owner of a visa company or the driver of the Van.

If you caught for some reason in Thailand now without your passport you are in deep shit, because you are not supposed to be here. Beside that, if the Visa company put a faked stamp in your passport now, you are even in deeper shit. Not to mention if they do something illegal with your passport...

I would clear this issue immediately with the Visa Company and you should never ever give your passport to anyone in Thailand, except (personally) to the Immigration officer when entering / leaving Thailand.

Edited by kevinbkk

@eateer

Actually it is illegal, anywhere in the world, to enter a country without a valid passport. It's not a question the immigration check every single person or not your problem now is not a "mai pen rai" problem.

And the last person I would listen to in this regards is a owner of a visa company or the driver of the Van.

If you caught for some reason in Thailand now without your passport you are in deep shit, because you are not supposed to be here. Beside that, if the Visa company put a faked stamp in your passport now, you are even in deeper shit. Not to mention if they do something illegal with your passport...

I would clear this issue immediately with the Visa Company and you should never ever give your passport to anyone in Thailand, except (personally) to the Immigration officer when entering / leaving Thailand.

Any other options here? What should i do, the company isn't being that helpful.

Any other options here? What should i do, the company isn't being that helpful.

IMHO, you should see an immigration lawyer and ask for advice from a professional. However bad your situation, a well connected lawyer should be able to fix it, though it may be expensive.

To help the lawyer, keep every scrap of documentation about your visa run, especially any receipts you have from the visa run company. Write down (now) every detail of what happened from when you left Bangkok until today. Avoid making the situation worse.

[Any other options here? What should i do, the company isn't being that helpful.

There is no doubt you are here illegally.

If, and this is a very big IF, you get your PP back then the best option would be to head straight for a small border check point and leave Thailand. Do not use airports or leave through the same place which has stamped (fake of course) your PP.

This way you may just have a chance to get away with it.

Then come back on a 15 days stamp and get a new PP to get rid of the fakes in your old one. Do not show up at any Immigration office inside Thailand with this old PP.

Not sure if reporting PP as lost/stolen would be of any help.

opalhort

Post removed suggesting totally illegal activity.

He was stamped out of Thailand and not stamped in. At this point would probably only face short detention and deportation. Making false police reports would likely have much more serious consequences.

[Any other options here? What should i do, the company isn't being that helpful.

Not sure if reporting PP as lost/stolen would be of any help.

opalhort

In order to get a new passport, most embassy's will ask for for a police report that the passport was stolen or lost anyway, before issuing a new passport. At least the german embassy handle it like that.

I feel sorry for you my friend, but getting panic makes your situation worst.

Here is what i suggest, give visa run company a deadline and tell them if they don't keep their promise and deliver you the passport safely, you will sue them for everything they have.

You are still illegal in the kingdom but atleast holding passport with a valid visa will make your situation at least somewhat better, then you can go through a lawyer who will assist you and clearify at the immigration what actually happend.

Everytime you enter or leave thailand, there are the details along with your picture in immigration system.

Good luck!

WG

I have contacted the company. Now he says there was a delay and my passport will be here on tues. What can i do.. I am in panic mode now. I have a really bad feeling about this. I had never done a visa run before and thought nothing of it. Now i realize what a idiot i was for allowing this to happen

You have certainly got the idiot part right. There are many experts out there who will try to help you but whatever the advice is the bottom line is that you have broken the law. :)

Here is what i suggest, give visa run company a deadline and tell them if they don't keep their promise and deliver you the passport safely, you will sue them for everything they have.

You are still illegal in the kingdom but atleast holding passport with a valid visa will make your situation at least somewhat better, then you can go through a lawyer who will assist you and clearify at the immigration what actually happend.

Everytime you enter or leave thailand, there are the details along with your picture in immigration system.

Good luck!

WG

I just spoke with the visa service. My passport was left on the desk at the the Thai embassy in Laos. I have been assured %100 my passport will be returned to me on Tues. First time i have ever done a visa run and hopefully the last. Very bad choice on my part to allow this to happen. I hope on tues i can just check this off as a lesson learned.

I just spoke with the visa service. My passport was left on the desk at the the Thai embassy in Laos. I have been assured %100 my passport will be returned to me on Tues.

IF this is true you may stand a chance. The visa service may have 19 people in the bus but hand in 20 Passports. This way you'll get a legit stamp.

Until that time stay out of any places where they may ask for your PP! Especially at the moment due to tightened security.

May I suggest that when (OR IF) you get your PP back that you scan the visa and entry stamp and post it on TV?

I'm sure there are many experts here on TV who could spot a fake one.

opalhort

Good luck!

WG

I just spoke with the visa service. My passport was left on the desk at the the Thai embassy in Laos. I have been assured %100 my passport will be returned to me on Tues. First time i have ever done a visa run and hopefully the last. Very bad choice on my part to allow this to happen. I hope on tues i can just check this off as a lesson learned.

Avoid traveling within thailand, don't get caught for passport check. You must have your passport with valid visa in your hands before you try to do anything at immigration to save yoursef.

Every visa runs aren't the same, it is just you been missleaded and you listened to someone who had no idea about rules and regulations of Thai Immigration.

I wish you very good luck!

You're in quite a fix. I really hope you get your passport back soon.

If/when you do, scan the page of your passport with the most recent stamp so some of the long time posters can give an opinion on whether or not it is genuine.

In the meantime, if I were you, I wouldn't even leave my house/apartment so I don't encounter any situation where I might be asked for my passport.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

"Actually it is illegal, anywhere in the world, to enter a country without a valid passport."

KB

Not true.

Some countries have agreements with neighboring countries to allow entry without passports.

Thailand - Laos.

USA - Mexico.

etc.