How Long Will All This Chaos Last?

Shpongle

Now obviously this is a hard question to answer (which no correct answer exists) so I am merely seeking people's own opinions on everything going in Bangkok right now.

The reason I ask is that I will be coming back to Thailand at the end of July this year. I was in Bangkok a few months last year and everything was just fine with no problems. I've been trying to familiarize myself with everything going on because things were not this bad when I was here last year, at least I don't think so.

I love Bangkok so much but I'm starting to realize that I might need to have a Plan B for when I arrive and head straight to the islands. Any insight would be helpful, I feel somewhat out of the loop.

I will say 4 days, they have to act quickly now, one or two days to try to save as many children / innocent red / old people and they will go for the kill, if not the army will turn against the government or more support from the province will descend to Bangkok !

Edit to add, Later on, the most positive outcome will be the government starting to think more about poor people and the welfare

Edited by simcity

apparently, you're thinking about a PlanB already ... seems you're not depending on travel partners

or a rented flat or the like: If so, just come here first, check the situation n make an adhoc decision

Edited by thurien

Most tourist places in Thailand are now dead. Hua Hin and Cha am are literally empty of tourists, its quite depressing and from friends Phuket and Samui are the same. Unless your girl/family or friends are here I would try somewhere else like Cambodia or Phillipines.

I agree, nobody knows when the current fighting will cease. Seh Daeng stated that Thaksin doesn't want the current protests to end, because then he wouldn't be able to return to Thailand.

After this fighting is over, whenever that may be, a possible scenario is that of a low-level guerrilla war in Bangkok continuing until elections. The red skirts certainly have the firepower to do so, and Thaksin certainly has the dough to finance such a war. Another scenario is that everyone says I'm sorry and just goes home, a scenario which I believe is doubtful...

I'd follow plan B and head straight to the islands while avoiding Bangkok as much as possible. I'd also consider skipping Thailand entirely and heading to another country in the region.

Edited by Microwave

Most tourist places in Thailand are now dead. Hua Hin and Cha am are literally empty of tourists, its quite depressing and from friends Phuket and Samui are the same. Unless your girl/family or friends are here I would try somewhere else like Cambodia or Phillipines.

I guess Thailand wanted to promote domestic tourism, congratulations, that is all they get for a long time

Right now is the hardest time to predict.....If you want to return it might be best to let things settle down to even think about it...predicting where protests will happen, or when they will end, is harder than predicting the ash from a volcano...I have been spending less time in Bangkok but unrelated to the protests...as of now it still seems easy to avoid the battle zones but........

I am expecting to relocate to Bangkok (office on Asok) in July/August and am of course concerned about persaonl safety, and also about "how dangerous/inconvenient" is it and is it possibe to manage your life to avoid the current red-hot zones (assumption do not live/work in the zone...).

I know the question" how long will this last" is similar to "how long is a piece of string", but maybe longtermers can try and make some logical estimates on whether it will escalate (to what / when) or be resolved (how / when)....

LT residents advice on the possible outcomes / timescales would be appreciated:

- will/could (what would it take) escalate and into what zones, or improve (what conditions times)?

- how long could/shoudl it last?

- with an office in BKK, Asokl - would I be able to safely manage and effective & efficient working life (no need to travel in BKK/Thailand except to airport).

Thanks - and hope you guys and gals are doing OK all things considered.